PDA

View Full Version : Planning ahead for December 2008

PoohBear517
12-12-2007, 08:46 AM
Since we missed out on spending the holiday this year at WDW, I'm planning ahead for next year. I've never been to WDW during Christmas or New Years so I can't decide between the two. I'm certain either holiday would be festive and fun, but if you've been there during both times of year, which did you prefer and why? Also, how easy / difficult would it be to get a 1-BR at OKW during that time of year if I wait until the 7-month mark to book? Of course, I would book at my home resort at 11-months to assure we'd have a place to stay.
Thanks!

PirateLover
12-12-2007, 09:50 AM
The whole week is the most crowded in the entire year. I've never been but I'm thinking I might aim closer to New Years. Christmas decorations will still be up and I've heard wonderful things about their fireworks displays. You should be prepared for massive crowds, though. Here is some info I found for THIS year to give you an idea of what goes on:

Magic Kingdom
December 31, 2007 - 8:00am to 1:00am
Extra Magic Hour - 7:00am - 8:00am
Christmas Parade: 3:00pm
Spectromagic: 7:00 and 10:30pm
Wishes: 8:30pm
Fantasy in the Sky: 11:50pm

Epcot
December 31, 2007:
Future World -8:00am to 1:00am
World Showcase - 9:30am to 1:00am
Illuminations - 7:30pm and 11:40pm

Disney MGM-Studios
December 31, 2007 - 8:00am to 12:00am
Extra Magic Hour - 7:00am - 8:00
Hollywood Holly Day Parade: 3:00pm
Fantasmic: 6:30, 8:30
Lights! Camera! Happy New Year Fireworks: 12:00am

azcavalier
12-12-2007, 09:59 AM
Since we missed out on spending the holiday this year at WDW, I'm planning ahead for next year. I've never been to WDW during Christmas or New Years so I can't decide between the two. I'm certain either holiday would be festive and fun, but if you've been there during both times of year, which did you prefer and why? Also, how easy / difficult would it be to get a 1-BR at OKW during that time of year if I wait until the 7-month mark to book? Of course, I would book at my home resort at 11-months to assure we'd have a place to stay.
Thanks!

Why wait until after Christmas? One of the *best* times of the year to go is early December. The Christmas decorations are all up, the Very Merry Christmas Party is going on, and crowds are relatively low. Once Christmas hits, it's nuts. I would definitely vote for going around, well, this time right now next year. As a matter of fact, I think that's what my family will be doing.

I do not know how hard it would be to get a spot a OKW, though.

PoohBear517
12-12-2007, 12:37 PM
I expect it to be really crowded at the parks but I've heard such wonderful things about all of the festivities, especially the fireworks on New Years Eve. And after watching the shows that aired last night on the Food network, I really want to be there at this time of year. I wish I could go during the first few weeks of December, but I need to take into consideration when my son would be home from college (certainly don't want to go without him and he wouldn't want to be left behind).

wendy*darling
12-16-2007, 10:44 PM
We did this a couple of years ago. Arrived on Christmas evening 2005 and went home on New Year's Day 2006. We had our traditional Christmas morning at home- leisurely opened gifts, had a great breakfast and then got ready to go to the airport!
It was a very festive and fun week. Yes, it was very crowded, but I don't think there was anything we wanted to do that we weren't able to accomplish.
I highly recommend this week- especially of you have older kids (or no kids) and can handle the long hours- late nights.:thumbsup:
We used fast pass as much as possible- especially on NYEve.
We had a blast! :D My boys were 16 & 19 at the time. We did 2 tours (Segway & Keys to the Kingdom), played mini-golf, rode everything, saw all the fireworks, etc!
At midnight on New Year's Eve in Epcot, DH said to me "we have to do this more often!"
We hope to get back for that week again sometime.
But next year we are starting a 4 day cruise on the Wonder on New Year's Eve- that should be fun too! :mickey: