PDA

View Full Version : Willie?!

Wells
12-12-2007, 06:16 AM
While driving in to work this morning, I happened to hear Paul Harvey’s daily radio feature. He began describing the career of a silent motion picture personality whom he referred to as “Willie” and how he successfully made the transition to talking pictures in 1928. He then described this actors’ prolific film career throughout the 30’s and 40’s and his eventual appearance as the host of a popular 50's television program. This, along with many other clues, made it obvious that he was describing the long and illustrious career of Mickey Mouse, which was the “suprise” ending of his report. Now I consider myself to be fairly well versed in all things Disney, but I have never heard of Mickey being referred to as “Willie” in any early features. Does anyone know about this? I would really like to know “The rrrrrrrrrrest of the story”;)

kakn7294
12-12-2007, 06:26 AM
Um, wasn't Mickey "Steamboat Willie"? I imagine that's where the reference came from.

Melanie
12-12-2007, 06:44 AM
Um, wasn't Mickey "Steamboat Willie"? I imagine that's where the reference came from.

Yes, that's what I'd assume as well.

magicofdisney
12-12-2007, 04:57 PM
That was my first thought, as well.

JerseyMouse
12-12-2007, 06:53 PM
Ditto.

AbeeNormal
12-13-2007, 01:11 PM
:ditto: Yep... me too!!! Steamboat Willie, :sail:was my first thought

Wells
12-18-2007, 06:37 AM
Duh!...I don’t know why I didn’t think of that!?:blush: I’m thinking Willie Mouse? ……Willie and Winnie?......The Willie Mouse club?.....Who’s the leader of the club that’s made for you and me? W-I-L-L-I-E M-O-U-S-E…..Hmmmm, might have worked.
But anyway, Paul Harvey must have caught the Disney bug lately, his feature today was about Walt, Roy, Edna and Lilly back in the day…