PDA

View Full Version : When did it happen to you??

Disney-lovin' Dutchman
12-11-2007, 05:16 PM
When did you fall in love with Disney, when was the moment that you knew you were hooked? :D

Mine was watching the Main Street Electrical Parade in DLRP with my whole family when I was 8. After that and ever since Disney is really important to me :mickey:

McGoofy
12-11-2007, 05:45 PM
"You had me at hello."

Oh, wait no, that's Jerry McQuire. ;)

But seriously folks...I went a couple of times as a child, but when I really knew I was hooked was in 1994. My DH purchased tickets for me as a graduation present from nursing school. My DH and I went with one of my best friends from nursing school and her DH. When I realized that 4 adults could have so much fun at a place that I previously thought was just for kids, I knew I was hooked. We've been going ever since.

DisneyTwirler13!
12-11-2007, 06:04 PM
I can't single out any single moment in time that I first realized I was hooked, but when I first realized it, we had just gotten passes when I was in fourth grade, and the only thing on my mind was Disney, and I'd realized I'd been hooked forever, probably since we'd had passes when I was in kindergarten. That's what happens when you live so close to WDW.

IloveDisney71
12-11-2007, 06:21 PM
I grew up close to Disney so we went all the time. We moved away in my pre-teen years. I made a couple of trips back before my 20's. I guess I became an addict after my 2 DD's were born. We started making regular trips when they were around 10 and 11 years old. I guess it was just spending time with them at WDW and creating new magical memories with them at the most magical place on Earth! I can't really narrow it down to just one moment.

CU Tiger
12-11-2007, 06:22 PM
I remember going as a kid, but I just remember DW as just a fun place :blush:. When I went for the first time as an adult MANY years later, I started to get hooked. I had such a great experience that it started to happen. :thumbsup: After the next visit the following year, I was hooked.:D From then, I have been back every year since (four years) and am going twice this year. There is not one aspect that I can point to, but I believe it is the overall experiences. I think I get more excited to go than my DDs. My neighbors think I am nuts!:crazy: I may need professional help.:fresh::mickey:

Deesdisney
12-11-2007, 06:40 PM
I was hooked the first time my mom and dad took me in the 70's. We didnt grow up with alot of money so we had to as kids work for our way. Which made me a workaholic. At the age of 18 I became a annual pass holder and went to DL every chance I got.

mrsgaribaldi
12-11-2007, 07:38 PM
DH and I each only went to Disney World once as a child. I didn't remember anything. We went in 1998 and we both got hooked then. We couldn't believe how magical it was. We started going once a year and then in the last 5 years, we go as much as we can. :mickey:

MMouse6937
12-11-2007, 08:53 PM
I'm sure my DH asks himself the same question! ;)

I had been a few times as a child, always loved it of course. My parents took us and my DB and DSIL in 2000 for the Millenium and I was happy and we had fun, but again, just a vacation. I didn't even really buy anything. Somewhere between that trip in March and the following Sept it hit me, this is THE place. I started planning our next trip, decorating our house with Disney stuff, collecting, etc. I guess I just realized that this was a dream of one man that became a reality and nothing compares to the experience. Now I can't imagine anyplace else I'd want to go! :mickey:

RocknRoller94
12-11-2007, 09:53 PM
I was 18 months old when I went to Disney for the first time(in the mid 1990's). Of course, at that time, they still had 20,000 Leagues and the Skyway. I don't remember much, but I do know I loved it, and hav loved it ever since.

Darbylew
12-11-2007, 10:26 PM
I was hooked when I took my children to WDW
in 1972. Now I am taking my grandchildren. We
have been so many times that I can't even
count anymore. It is the most magical place on
earth. I love it and we go at least twice and
sometimes three times a year. :mickey:

Figaro
12-11-2007, 10:29 PM
I went to WDWR many times when I was small, but I think the moment that did it for me was one year when I was still quite small, I went to MK and saw Spectromagic. My neck was arched out as the parade began and sure enough, there's Mickey coming down the road on his float with his magic crystal ball. From that moment is when I knew. Now, I work for the Mouse, and love every moment of it. :mickey: :thumbsup: Now, I get to share my love of Disney with young children who come and visit and help them to fall in love with Disney. Nothing compares to the look in a childs eyes the first time they meet a character and get to give them a hug! I get to work with Chip N Dale and watching kids with them is incredible. :mickey:

poeticeclipse
12-12-2007, 10:03 AM
My "obsession" has grown over the years but I really think that it started before I ever experienced WDW.

Before my dad passed away when I was 6, he used to tell my mom that he wanted two things for me someday... 1-to get me a horse and 2- to get me to WDW. Well, fast forward 3 years and I finally got my chance.

Maybe it's because I feel my dad's presence right beside me when I walk down Main Street for the first time each trip. Maybe it's because I grew up watching Disney movies and seeing the previews for WDW and crying just wishing I could go there. I think that it's everything all together. I'll always be hooked and i'll always be in love with WDW.

c&d
12-12-2007, 10:08 AM
I was amazed when I went in '74 but I got hooked when DH and I went in '98. There's been no stopping me since then.

Diznee4Me
12-12-2007, 10:13 AM
I remember going as a kid but it wasn't until 2000 and I first took my DD that I was hooked. Seeing it through her eyes did it for me! Of course while we are there, I now act like the kid and my DD16 - and my DW - just rolls their eyes!:D

laward32
12-12-2007, 05:21 PM
My mom and dad were born and raised in CA, so they went to Disneyland all the time. I believe my dad actually attended a Grad night there. So I went quite a few times when I was little. I've always loved Disney, especially Mickey Mouse. But I really, really got hooked my first trip to WDW in 2005. Now, I have to admit I am obsessed!!! Everybody teases me, but I don't care. I love the place. It is just magical. My two girls absolutely love it too. They are always asking when we do we get to go back. If only I could make my husband understand how we feel. My sister goes twice a year and I am sooo jealous. My mom and dad even love it. It's just a great place for an awesome family vacation. (I would still like a adult trip once!):mickey:

JerseyMouse
12-12-2007, 06:51 PM
1993--honeymoon year, every year since, sometimes twice, it never gets old, or any less magical. Just the thought of our yearly trip there does wonders for my stress level. I simply can't say that about any other place I have ever visited.

pink
12-12-2007, 08:22 PM
It was actually when I found Intercot. I didn't know so many people loved Disney as much as I did, and being able to discuss it all the time made me love it even more. :mickey:

jdcastle
12-12-2007, 08:40 PM
I knew I was hooked the day after I got back home :)

Here we go again...
12-12-2007, 10:54 PM
My very first trip was in November after 9-11.
We took my DD (then 6) to get away from all of the bad things we were seeing on TV every moment. I never expected to fall in love... them moment I saw the castle the magic hit me. It is now our happy place. Any time things get rough we start planning a trip. :cloud9:

dolphinmickey9170
12-13-2007, 08:18 AM
In 1999 when I took my very first trip to the world. The moment I stepped onto Main Street, I could hear the music, I think it's from the Music Man - Gary Indiana Gary Indiana something something something, and I looked up and saw the castle for the first time. I wasn't there with my children, however, I cried like a baby. To finally be in the place I had dreamed of since I was a little girl. What a moment.:mickey:

cal5755
12-13-2007, 10:00 AM
I went twice as a teen.... I performed in DW on mainstreet. I was a baton twirler and all of us twirlers and the band....(blazers band and the blazerettes) went on a weeklong trip. I loved it then... however I think the real obsession started during the first family trip back in 2003 when I took DH, DS and 2DD's (the kids were 8,4 and 6 months). DH had never been and I had to force him into the trip.... once we got there though he was in Disney Heaven.
The look on my kids faces when we entered MK for the first time was amazing. From little magical moments, parades and fireworks... A whirlwind of innocent fun for all of us!!
Maybe it is the magic of us adults being kids again with our kids. Relishing in the attention of the Characters and screaming with laughter on rides we all go on together!!

I dont know what made me hooked... all I now is I am and I am so proud of it lol!!

houseofmouse103
12-13-2007, 11:18 AM
1996. My DD was 5 & we scrimped & saved for almost a year; making monthly payments, for a Pocahontas 5 day/4 night package at POFQ. Everything was done up for WDW's 25th and yes, I even liked the castle cake (go ahead & flame me). At that time DD was heavily into the Lion King, so much so that she used to growl and roar at people. But when she saw Timon, it was everything we could do to hold her back and not run in front of the other kids in line. When it was her turn, she ran up to him and gave him a hug that seemed to last for 5 minutes, not wanting to let go. Things got better $$ wise & we were able to purchase a DVC membership in '99 & have been back probably 3-4 times a year since then, but nothing compares to the magic that happened on that first trip:mickey:

TheRustyScupper
12-13-2007, 12:09 PM
1) I fell in love with Disney watching the original Mickey Mouse Club.
2) OK, so I fell in love with Annette, then Disney.

3) Then I got further hooked with the Davy Crockett series on TV.
4) I finally got to Disneyland (CA) and Magic Kingdom (FL) in 1971.
5) Both in the same year sunk the hook even further.

jedigrrrl
12-13-2007, 03:12 PM
Let me put it this way . . . Until age 3 I would not wear anything that didn't have mickey mouse on it. I can't remember a time when I wasn't in love with Disney.

xipetotec
12-13-2007, 04:27 PM
When did you fall in love with Disney, when was the moment that you knew you were hooked? :D

Mine was watching the Main Street Electrical Parade in DLRP with my whole family when I was 8. After that and ever since Disney is really important to me :mickey:

Well I always "liked" Disney. went a few times as a kid with my parents.

But it wasn't until my first trip with my kids as an adult that it really HOOKED me. I guess it wasn't until then that I GOT the magic.

BsGrl
12-19-2007, 02:50 PM
I also have a hard time pin pointing one moment but if I had to narrow it down it would be watching my 10 yr old DD's reaction to Wishes! :cloud9:
The moment I knew I would do everything I could to return as often as possible was when we were leaving MK on our last night in 2006 and my DD was crying saying she wanted to live at WDW.:magic: