PDA

View Full Version : My DD8 on Good Morning America

cal5755
12-11-2007, 12:59 PM
Hey everyone!!

I just thought I would come and tell about our fun monday! Michelle was picked as one of 10 kids to go to Good Morning America and do a live taping of a new childrens book reading. The author read the book Chocolate and the Four Seasons. The segment will air sometime this week and will also be on the website once editing is done. For anyone who happens to see it Michelle was in the front row with a pink fuzzy sweater and a green and pink skirt... long brown hair ... and she kept scrunching up her nose lol...

She had a lot of fun and said the story was great. It was a very eventful day for sure lol. The holland tunnel was gridlocked and it took us almost 2 hours to get to the city (after driving more than 2 hours on the jersey pike)... I got them to 43rd street just in time to say "Mom take Michelle and turn right at that light, you will see the studio and ask someone where to go." They jumped out and I went to find a place to park. By the time I got to the studio nobody outside knew what I was talking about so I stood in front of the big window for 2 hours freezing my toes in the process. I did get to see them through the window and all the kids looked cute.

After that we went across the street to Toys R Us and rode the big ferris wheel... on the Disney Toy Story car!!! That was fun!! What an overwhelmingly huge store that is!! Complete with a 2 story barbie house full of all kinds of barbies!! Then we had to eat a quick slice and dream of going to see one of the many broadway plays as we went to get the car and head home!! The lights around broadway and 42nd, 43rd and 44th streets are dizzying and fun!! It was a great day and a great experience too!!

Terra
12-11-2007, 01:03 PM
How exciting!! And what a great "early Christmas gift!!" ... Sounds like such fun!!

SBETigg
12-11-2007, 03:42 PM
Oh, how neat for her, and what a fun time. I'll keep watching for it.

kakn7294
12-11-2007, 04:22 PM
Wow, what a day! How exciting for you and your DD! I'll try to watch for it.

Jasper
12-11-2007, 04:30 PM
How much fun was that!

Just curious how your daughter was selected? Do you know someone that works there, was it some class project?

Hope your feet have warmed up since then!

Dsnygirl
12-11-2007, 09:56 PM
:) That is so neat, and what a fun day!! I'll have to try and see her!!

cal5755
12-12-2007, 12:20 AM
Thanks guys!! Jasper - her manager was contacted by GMA and asked to send 10 children in and Michelle is one of the children she selected to attend. Michelle has an agent and manager in NYC... this is how she does auditions for commercials and movies etc.

This is Michelles second time on GMA... the first time it was 50 other girls and they saw Barbie perform a song on the show. It is all very interesting and exciting!

Melanie
12-12-2007, 01:01 AM
How exciting for your daughter! And a fun day trip to the city for you. :thumbsup:

Although, I never realized actors were hired to do those things. I just thought they were kiddos they pulled off the street. :blush:

cal5755
12-13-2007, 10:24 AM
Melanears..... the kids that were chosen are NOT paid. When people like GMA do these things though they want kids that are used to cameras etc. This way it takes less time to tape the segments. Michelle and the other 9 children were not paid for this. Their manager was contacted and asked for volunteers to go into the city. Michelle has the option of saying no to anything but she loves the city and the lights and cameras so we said yes. Of course it cost us 180.00 for her to go to NY and have a story read to her lol. Our thought is this... you only live once, live it to the fullest, enjoy everything you do and do it as often as possible.

Now that I got my intercot/Disney fix of the day we are headed back into the city because she has an audition for a Walmart commercial!!

faline
12-13-2007, 10:31 AM
Very exciting!

ElenitaB
12-13-2007, 05:37 PM
How cool and fun for you both! :thumbsup: Welcome to the neighborhood :hi: (My office is on the corner of 42nd and 7th, right next to the New Amsterdam theatre where Mary Poppins is playing!)

Although, I never realized actors were hired to do those things. I just thought they were kiddos they pulled off the street. :blush:
Even though this was done at an expense to you, the realization that the children are actors, takes away some of what the rest of us assumed was more spontaneous/less staged. At least we're wiser now. She does get some good exposure though out of the whole thing, no?

Good luck with the Walmart audition and the weather!

kakn7294
12-13-2007, 05:52 PM
Although, I never realized actors were hired to do those things. I just thought they were kiddos they pulled off the street. :blush:That's what I thought too, Mel! I didn't realize that they are actors either, paid or not. You learn something new everyday!

Jasper
12-13-2007, 06:03 PM
Glad I asked the question because I was obviously not the only one who did not realize that they used "talent" for things like that whether paid or not. I also not aware that your daughter was working on a career as an "actress/talent" Regardless it still sounds fun and I am sure that if we would have lived closer to New York, LA, or any of the other media centers then my daughter would have tried to do the same thing! However, out here in Indiana we don't have much opportunity for kids to do such things.

cal5755
12-13-2007, 10:35 PM
Well todays walmart audition was fun for Michelle. She got to pretend she was shopping with her "mom" and "sister"! We heard a lot of excitement from the audition room!! The weather was not too bad... mostly rain and by the time we got home tonight just before 8 it was not even raining.

Just to clarify... most things done on shows like GMA and the Today show are random people off the street. The first time she was on GMA it was 2 pageants that were called and asked to send girls dressed in their pageant dresses. Michelle happened to be called by the director of a pageant she did and asked to attend and my youngest DD Jaquelynn also was asked to go. They were specifically looking for little girls all dressed up like barbie. They randomly selected 2 local pageants to send girls in. That time we had to be at the studio at 7 am and everything was done live live... no live taping. 50 girls all under the age of 10 .... it was crazy trying to keep them all quiet during other parts of the show.

ELENITAB - we were just on W43rd street today!! Bernie Telsey! Next time we will have to wave as we go by! Maybe sometime if we ever know in advance we can meet for a coffee and you can meet Michelle!! On Monday we went for a slice of pizza at Famiglia's on 8th ave. We took in the sights of all the shows and Mary Poppins is one she wants to see... along with Mermaid, Les Miserable, Wicked, and The Lion King. Someday I will take all 3 of my kiddos to see one lol. They are so expensive though... and I like to save all my extra cash for disney trips lol!!