PDA

View Full Version : 3D Glasses - Are They Disinfected?

ldn324
12-11-2007, 10:51 AM
We just returned last week from our annual trip where we were armed as official germophobes - took Airborne, other supplements, used hand sanitizer, washed our hands until they were raw...everything short of encasing ourselves in a plastic bubble, we did it to stay well this trip. And it did seem to work :thumbsup:

Another thing we did was avoid touching the handrails in line queues, door handles, etc. But one thing I hadn't thought about before was the 3D glasses used throughout the parks. Does anyone know - do they disinfect those glasses after each use? It's pink eye's dream come true if they just pass them along without disinfection. :eyes: Surely they treat them somehow...right? I noticed a CM at one restaurant wiping the beeper things with Clorox wipes and that made me feel better. I'm just hoping they do the same with the 3D glasses. Anyone know??

poeticeclipse
12-11-2007, 10:55 AM
Wow! I have never thought about that before. They do have you put your glasses into the bins after. Maybe they go through some kind of 3D glasses spin cycle?!

tinklover
12-11-2007, 10:59 AM
I also am a germaphobe and I regret saying this but on our magic music days trip in 93 ( senior year in high school) I kept my 3d glasses form the muppets 3-d movie and i still have em to this day. I cleaned them before I put them on my face. and when i took my son to disney in 2000 i had "my" glasses with me and same with this last trip in May and I will have them with me again in June . I know your not suposed to keep em but I wanted to be able to enjoy the movie and not be constantly worried about what was on my glasses or who had em before me and did they have anything.

2Epcot
12-11-2007, 11:20 AM
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe the 3D glasses go through a rotation process. The glasses are cleaned before they are put back out again.

tinkerbell04
12-11-2007, 12:22 PM
I would think that the health department would make sure that there was a cleaning process with the glasses.:mickey: At least that it what I am telling myself :blush:

WDWfanatic742
12-11-2007, 12:25 PM
I'm pretty sure that the rotation statement is true. They all get washed and cleaned from a central station in WDW and then get sent to the four parks to be used and then they keep on doing that.

IloveDisney71
12-11-2007, 02:04 PM
My DH is a major germophobe, so when my DD and I went to see The Nightmare Before Christmas (in 3-d), I kept our 3-d glasses so he could use one of these pair.
But I'm glad to know that WDW cleans the glasses, I figured they would have to, but having his own pair takes some of the worry off my DH. :thumbsup:

EeyoresBestFriend
12-11-2007, 03:38 PM
This is a bit sideways, but when we were in US - we were treated to an impromtu back stage tour of the T-3 Ride(also 3D) and they have a huge commercial dishwasher style heated sanitizer that all the glasses go into after one use. The room was huge and covered in various stages of glasses processing. I cannot imagine that Disney would provide any less for their guests than they do. :mickey:

mrsHerbie53
12-11-2007, 06:53 PM
I did think about this too during our last trip... I certainly hope that we are correct in our hope that they are cleaned...

chrisb26
12-11-2007, 07:20 PM
I actually thought about this on our trip as well.

I do think they clean the glasses after they are used I would imagine they would have to for sanitary reasons.

Meghan
12-11-2007, 08:04 PM
I don't know how exactly it's done, but I know for a fact that there is some sort of cleaning process for the glasses. A guy I used to work with had previously worked at It's Tough to be a Bug. He'd always talk about how boring it was to clean the glasses. So rest assured, it's being done.

centralohio disneyfan
12-11-2007, 08:07 PM
Gee, out of only 5 or 6 responses, two different people have kept their glasses. What if 40 per cent of the visitors to Disney World did that?

Marker
12-11-2007, 08:32 PM
I do recall hearing, though I don't know from where, that the glasses are indeed disinfected. But since I don't know where I heard it, it's really not a very relyable endorsement.

I've seen people absentmindedly leave with the glasses on top of their heads. Actually, it doesn't rally surprise me that people take the glasses. I've actually wondered before how many they lose in a day.

You know, I wonder how I've managed to live to be almost 50 years old... I don't take any extra pills or supplements, I wash my hands but only a normal amount, I don't use hand sanitizers, I even touch hand rails and door knobs. Amazing I'm still alive. :doh:

PirateLover
12-11-2007, 09:22 PM
Gee, out of only 5 or 6 responses, two different people have kept their glasses. What if 40 per cent of the visitors to Disney World did that?

Actually, it was only one poster. The other one saved their glasses from a 3D movie in which you are allowed to take the glasses home. I actually pay attention when handing back glasses to see if anyone tries to take them. It rarely happens, and I think WDW probably factors that into how many glasses they have anyway.

disneydeb
12-11-2007, 09:33 PM
You know, I wonder how I've managed to live to be almost 50 years old... I don't take any extra pills or supplements, I wash my hands but only a normal amount, I don't use hand sanitizers, I even touch hand rails and door knobs. Amazing I'm still alive. :doh:

:thumbsup: You have gradually built up( over the years) a variety of immunities. It is OK to be cautious as it is OK to be less concerned. Some have true germ phobias, I prefer to fear bees.:D

:bee::bolt::hide2:

Gottaluvgoof
12-11-2007, 09:53 PM

Ditto! I never even thought about the glasses. I just enjoy myself. I'm not so sure I could even go to a place like Disney World if I were that freaked out about germs. By the way Marker, I'm from MO also. Maybe it's us MO people. :D

JPL
12-11-2007, 09:56 PM
If I remember correctly they are Steam Cleaned

busterthebronco
12-11-2007, 10:30 PM
you people are kinda strange.:unsure:
do ya'll watch the show "monk"?:dishes::iron::mop:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
12-11-2007, 10:46 PM
I have never given that a thought.

But, after my son came home from school with pink eye last week (5th grade) I will have that in the back of my mind next week!! :sick:

No one in my family had ever had it before. Of course, it went through most of my house. DH and DD both got it too. Only DS and I avoided it. YUCK!!

Crystal Palace
12-12-2007, 09:35 AM
We just returned last week from our annual trip where we were armed as official germophobes - took Airborne, other supplements, used hand sanitizer, washed our hands until they were raw...everything short of encasing ourselves in a plastic bubble, we did it to stay well this trip. And it did seem to work :thumbsup:

Another thing we did was avoid touching the handrails in line queues, door handles, etc. But one thing I hadn't thought about before was the 3D glasses used throughout the parks. Does anyone know - do they disinfect those glasses after each use? It's pink eye's dream come true if they just pass them along without disinfection. :eyes: Surely they treat them somehow...right? I noticed a CM at one restaurant wiping the beeper things with Clorox wipes and that made me feel better. I'm just hoping they do the same with the 3D glasses. Anyone know??

Man I sure hope they do! I am such a germ freak it's not even funny!

Jeff G
12-12-2007, 10:09 AM
A couple trips ago I was traveling with a gemaphob(sp?) and she asked the CM working at Muppetvision. According to the CM the glasses are cleaned and disinfected after each show and are on a continuous rotation.

Here we go again...
12-12-2007, 10:23 AM
I never really thought about the glasses.
Of course the only thing that really freaks me out is public restrooms. Imagine the look on my face when I was in a stall at Disney World and the mom next to me was letting her little girl crawl on the floor in the stall. :ack:

I work in a pharmacy and we have to wash our hands quite often. We have one girl that keeps hand sanitizer next to her and uses it after every single customer. The pharmacist says that being too clean will make you sick faster because your body does not naturally learn to fight those germs. Who knows?

TheRustyScupper
12-12-2007, 12:56 PM
1) They ARE cleaned and sanitized after each use.
2) They just don't put that little strip of paper on them.

ldn324
12-12-2007, 01:00 PM
Whew, good to know they do sanitize them. I kind of figured they must or the Department of Health would have a fit.

DH and I spent the majority of our 2006 WDW vacation at Florida Hospital with severe bronchitis. Our #1 goal this trip was simply to stay healthy. Made no difference to me what people thought seeing me wiping down tables, refusing to touch handrails and squirting hand sanitizer. Only thing I know is last year we did not take those precautions and we were both sick for about 2 months. This year we did every precaution known to man and we had a wonderful - and healthy - vacation. That's good enough for me :thumbsup:

I work in healthcare and we are trained yearly in proper handwashing techniques by CDC standards. Anti bacterial products aren't recommended because they kill the good germs. Regular soap or anti microbial products are now recommended by most health care agencies. I can't believe the number of people I saw in the parks just barely wave their hands underneath the sink in the restroom. Why bother washing at all? Oh and the people I saw touch a garbage can or a restroom door then touch their face and eyes....ewwww. And they wonder why they get the sniffles or worse. :shrug:

Glad to know I'm not the only one. Fellow germophobes unite! We'll keep up the fight and let the others share the viruses and bacteria! ;)

magicofdisney
12-12-2007, 02:21 PM
you people are kinda strange.:unsure:
do ya'll watch the show "monk"?:dishes::iron::mop:
Monk is my hero... :)

McGoofy
12-12-2007, 03:36 PM

And I grew up in the 70's
Got this e-mail recently that your reply made me think of:

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us. They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, and didn't get tested for diabetes. Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors, or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags. Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle. We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, bread and butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING! We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on. No one was able to reach us all day. And we were okay.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no internet or internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate worms and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes, nor did the worms live in us forever.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little league had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever! The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

Ah! The good ol' days!!!!!

I guess all of the germophobes are completely grossed out now!:sick:

Of course the only thing that really freaks me out is public restrooms. Imagine the look on my face when I was in a stall at Disney World and the mom next to me was letting her little girl crawl on the floor in the stall. :ack:

Now that's NASTY!!!:sick:

I have thought about the glasses before, but I just assumed that Disney would clean them. That's what I keep telling myself anyway!;)

Here's what really grosses me out...how many people have you seen put the Disney hats at various stores on their head??? Mmmmmm:sick:

Marker
12-12-2007, 04:08 PM
We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

I still do

we weren't overweight because WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING! We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on. No one was able to reach us all day. And we were okay.

Amen. Except I had to be home for dinner, no matter what time it was. Miss dinner, and I was in deep trouble. Sadly, you just can't send kids out like that anymore.

WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

Yep, we had REAL LIFE, nothing virtual about it.

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

This one may be the tell-tale of the whole thing.

Little league had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

That's right. Learning to deal with life instead of dreaming up drama to deal with.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

That's called character development. That's also called learning to accept the consequences for our actions.

That whole piece sounded like my days of growing up. I agree, "Ah, the good ol' days".

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
12-14-2007, 12:00 AM
Quote:

WOW!! Could whoever wrote this come and have a chat with a few of the Mom's of my son's Little League team last Spring??!!:clappy:

There is a country song by Bucky Convington (American Idol cast off) called "A Different World". If you have not heard it, do a search and take a listen. It's worth it. ;)

CleveRocks
12-14-2007, 04:18 AM
Each day, each 3-D attraction gets a delivery of that day's supply of 3-D glasses. When the glasses are used, they are collected and transported to a central site, which is located backstage in Epcot. They are fully cleaned and sanitized before they are sent back out to the 3-D attractions.

If an attraction is even remotely at risk for running low on glasses for the day, a phone call is made (or computer message is sent ... I don't know which) and a supplemental delivery is made.

Unless a CM and that CM's lead are conspiring with each other to risk their jobs, there's no way that 3-D glasses go from the return bin directly back to the entrance of the attraction for unsuspecting others to use.

Goes4FastPass
12-14-2007, 01:55 PM
Isn't a phobia an "irrational fear"?

Haven't experts agreed that parents who try to create a germ free bubble around their children only succeed in making fragile kids?

My toddler grandson puts terrible things in his mouth, plays outside in the dirt, takes lick turns on his icecream with the dog (this we actually interrupt) all the while sneezing and coughing out what doesn't belong in him.

I hope he lives to be 130.

ldn324
12-14-2007, 04:32 PM
Gosh, I had no idea that this would stir up such controversy. Seemed like a simple enough question.

I personally don't think my not wanting to catch pink eye or get somebody's cold is "irrational". I'd like to think of it as not helping to spread disease throughout the world. Kinda like the common courtesy of covering your mouth when you sneeze. That and the fact that I'd much rather spend my WDW trip healthy and happy than hacking my way through the parks miserable with a sore throat or runny nose. Sorry, but again - I'll take the label germophobe over the alternative any day.

Hmm, knowing there are so many people who don't care definitely makes me want to avoid public places in cold and flu season. I'm sensing not much handwashing going on out there.

SAHDad
12-14-2007, 04:55 PM
Of course, if you really want to avoid disease, you won't handle paper money. Ever. And you have to avoid doorknobs, doors, telephones, keyboards, mouse pads, the kitchen sink, the average kitchen counter top, avoid shaking hands, children (including your own), hospitals, drinking fountains, communal eating areas, communal showers/baths, etc, etc.

It's a dirty world. Everyone just has a different tolerance WRT risk. I worry more about other things. It had never crossed my mind that the glasses may or may not have been disinfected, and even if they were not, it wouldn't bother me unduly.

Edit - For the record, I do wash my hands after the restroom, and before food preparation. In fact, since my wife is a food scientist, I try to keep a tight reign on kitchen contaminants.

mudpuppysmom
12-14-2007, 05:14 PM
As a few others have said, they are sanitized....I asked a CM at Philharmagic one time.

As for the growing up post.......Yes, I agree with it all......and I'm still alive too.......and my kid does some of the stuff in there already.....and if need be, he'll spend the night in jail (I hope I raise him to know not to break the law though....but he has to have respect, so I guess it would be a great learning experience for him and buddies if they are with him).

We do wash our hands, after using the restroom, before AND after eating meals. We do take Airborne each morning on our trip (DS thinks it's Sprite, so that's easy to get in him, but the pixie sticks are even easier). Am I a germaphobe? I think not, but I do use caution about things.

Altair
12-14-2007, 05:40 PM
They sanitize them just like they sanitize the headphones at Sounds Dangerous. :medic:

McGoofy
12-15-2007, 10:44 AM
Gosh, I had no idea that this would stir up such controversy. Seemed like a simple enough question.

I personally don't think my not wanting to catch pink eye or get somebody's cold is "irrational". I'd like to think of it as not helping to spread disease throughout the world. Kinda like the common courtesy of covering your mouth when you sneeze. That and the fact that I'd much rather spend my WDW trip healthy and happy than hacking my way through the parks miserable with a sore throat or runny nose. Sorry, but again - I'll take the label germophobe over the alternative any day.

Hmm, knowing there are so many people who don't care definitely makes me want to avoid public places in cold and flu season. I'm sensing not much handwashing going on out there.

No need to apologize...The way I'm reading all of this, it doesn't seem like any controversy has been stirred. Just like most of the other topics on this site, different people have different opinions. I am a nurse at a hospital, and I wash my hands way more than the average person probably does. In fact, this time of year is very painful for my hands because all of the washing mixed with the cold weather causes them to stay cracked and bleeding. However, at Disney I still put on the glasses, hold handle bars on the roller coasters, hug characters, etc... We just make sure that we wash really well after using the restroom and before we eat. There's only one thing that I absolutely don't like to do, and that's put on the hats. On my last trip, the group of ladies that I was with wanted to get a picture with the Mexican hats. I told them that I must really love them because it was the one and only time that I have ever put the hat on my head. I pulled from the middle of the stack. I see so many people pose with those hats. You never know what bugs are crawling around in there!!:sick: So that's my "thing." We all have our "thing" and there is nothing wrong with that. I am glad that you asked the question about the glasses because as I said in my previous post, I had also wondered whether or not they got cleaned. Please, please do not feel like you stirred up controversy or feel as though you have to apologize for your question. Have a safe, happy, and HEALTHY trip to WDW!!!:mickey:

Love the Mouse!
12-15-2007, 11:22 AM
Hello all, I always keep disinfecting wipes in my backpack and I always use them on the 3D glasses, I believe Disney cleans the glasses but I always want to make sure. Also, I always carry a disinfecting gel with me, better safe than sorry. :vacation:

DNS
12-15-2007, 02:23 PM
We always try to clean ours a little with Purell before we put them on.

hubbyofadisneyholic
12-15-2007, 04:28 PM
Ditto! I never even thought about the glasses. I just enjoy myself. I'm not so sure I could even go to a place like Disney World if I were that freaked out about germs. By the way Marker, I'm from MO also. Maybe it's us MO people. :D

I'm with you guys even if I'm not from MO (but my father was).:thumbsup:
But, my mother is a total germophobe, she won't even shake hands with people at church...I think she gets her hand sanitizer stuff by the gallon. When she came to WDW w/ us she was just like some of the previous posters...never touched handrails or anything else if she could avoid it!! :D
I'm glad she didn't think of the 3D glasses. there is no doubt in my mind she wouldn't have put them on.

Gottaluvgoof
12-16-2007, 10:22 AM

There is a difference between hygiene and germaphobe. The definition for HYGIENE is: a science of the establishment and maintenance of health 2 : conditions or practices (as of cleanliness) conducive to health
GERMAPHOBE is not in the dictionary but basically it is a phobia of germs. The definition for phobia is: exaggerated usually inexplicable and illogical fear of a particular object, class of objects, or situation

I'm proud to be a person of normal hygiene. Because people are not psycho about germs, does not mean they don't wash their hands. :mad: By the way, I have been to Disney World 10 times, and have never been sick on the trip or got sick from the trip. :mickey:

btharvey
12-16-2007, 10:45 AM
First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us. They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, and didn't get tested for diabetes. Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors, or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags. Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

I think these nostalgic statements in the message I disagree with. These things definitely have saved lives. And remember ... not that many people look out for others any more ... they look out for themselves. Thank you '60s, Viet Nam, and Tricky Dick!:mad:

Otherwise, the more disinfectant we use and the more often we use it, the more resistant the germs become (most get killed off ... but evolution guarantees some random mutations that will resist the disinfectant [oh geez ... there's ANOTHER controversy!]). Hygene yes, even sanitizing (steam), but easy on the disinfectant.

I'm glad the glasses are sanitized.

Dznygrl79
12-16-2007, 11:34 AM
HA HA I am so exicted to answer this question because I just took the Undiscovered Future World Tour and on the tour they show you where they disinfect the glasses for Honey I Shrunk the Audience. Its way cool they have a custom built machine that gets up to 170 degrees and kills all the germs. Its way cool take the tour just to see that! But yes there are cast members who spend their days cleaning glasses and bringing out clean ones! We are talking thousands and thousands of glasses.
Oh hooray that was an awsome tour and now I have used it to answer your question.

DNS
12-16-2007, 01:05 PM
HA HA I am so exicted to answer this question because I just took the Undiscovered Future World Tour and on the tour they show you where they disinfect the glasses for Honey I Shrunk the Audience. Its way cool they have a custom built machine that gets up to 170 degrees and kills all the germs. Its way cool take the tour just to see that! But yes there are cast members who spend their days cleaning glasses and bringing out clean ones! We are talking thousands and thousands of glasses.
Oh hooray that was an awsome tour and now I have used it to answer your question.
I'm one Disney fan who is glad to read this.
Thank you!

Polynesian Dweller
12-16-2007, 02:00 PM
When we did the Muppets this year some one asked this specific question and the CMs told them that they were all disinfected before reuse and even explained about the shop where this was done.

It didn't surprise me at all to hear this. It was only logical that Disney would take efforts to make sure noone got something from the glasses, not just from a health perspective but from concerns about litigation.

Altair
12-16-2007, 04:24 PM
When we did the Muppets this year some one asked this specific question and the CMs told them that they were all disinfected before reuse and even explained about the shop where this was done.

It didn't surprise me at all to hear this. It was only logical that Disney would take efforts to make sure noone got something from the glasses, not just from a health perspective but from concerns about litigation.

This still doesn't explain about the headphones at Sounds Dangerous. They can't be cleaned since as one group leaves another enters the show.:secret:

McGoofy
12-16-2007, 05:06 PM
This still doesn't explain about the headphones at Sounds Dangerous. They can't be cleaned since as one group leaves another enters the show.:secret:

One more reason (besides the obvious one of it's very lame) not to see that show.

Darin M
12-16-2007, 05:26 PM
It always seems like I get the glasses with the most fingerprints or scratches on them. I've gotta angle those bad boys just right in order to enjoy the flick.

Disnamic Duo
12-17-2007, 10:13 AM
Sure Disney cleans all the 3d glasses between uses.

BUT, I've seen many times when people pick up several different pairs, and put some back before they find just the right one for them. No telling what they may have had on their hands....;)

pixiesmimi
12-17-2007, 10:43 AM
I thought about this with the glasses the last time we went but didn't give it too much thought because Disney is very careful with these kinds of things. I had not thought about the earphones though. :( That might be worse than the glasses because they actually go in your ears.

I've never been scared of germs because of the era I grew up in and think these days that some carry it a little too far with the germicidals. My own children are very careful with their kids and keeping things very clean but I agree that if you use too much germicidals, you kill the good germs. We have always been pretty healthy. But after all of us going home with really bad colds and the baby with the croup from our trip in June, I was a little more careful this last trip in August. I didn't go out of my way to clean but did take Airborne every day and used a germicidal wipe in my hand when walking along the handrails, etc. Other than that and washing my hands good when necessary, we went along as normal. We did not go home sick this time and I think it was due more to boosting our immune systems than anything else. I try to do this every chance I get and it seems to work. I drink a lot of orange juice also. I think it is more about boosting your immune system than trying to kill everything out there.