PDA

View Full Version : Capacity of crowds

stephntampa
12-08-2007, 12:18 PM
In the past, I have read about parks closing due to capacity. Does anyone know how many people can pass through the turnstiles at MK before the park closes "at capacity"? It must be A LOT of people!!!

Meteora
12-09-2007, 11:03 AM
I don't have an exact number, but I was at the MK last year when it filled to capacity, and let me assure you that "filled to capacity" is not just a euphemism. When we left, we got the idea that not too many more people could physically fit in the park. Moving anywhere required some very creative maneuvering and, unfortunately, just about necessitated bumping into people. Luckily, we had already accomplished what we wanted to that day and were happy to hop out of the MK and over to (much) less crowded Epcot.

Main Street Jim
12-09-2007, 12:30 PM
It's all determined by the Fire Marshal for Reedy Creek Improvement District. That number changes constantly, too. I know for last year's Fourth of July at MK, we had over 72,000 people in the park, and last year's New Year's Eve was over 74,000. It all depends on where the crowds are going. Shows take up a lot of people if they're all open (no refurbs going on), so that leaves a *little* more room out in the streets. I've also known that MK will close its turnstiles far below those numbers as well, and as guests leave early in the afternoon, we'll open it back up.

TheRustyScupper
12-09-2007, 06:30 PM
Normally it is when you take turns breathing, because there isn't enough room for two people next to each other to take up space with an inhale.

njsnider
12-10-2007, 01:32 PM
How does it work if you are in the park but leave for a little while and wish to return? Can you get back in? What if you, for instance, go out to the car and leave the rest of your family in the park, can you get back in?

Thanks,
Jan

TheRustyScupper
12-10-2007, 01:49 PM
How does it work if you are in the park but leave for a little while and wish to return? Can you get back in? What if you, for instance, go out to the car and leave the rest of your family in the park, can you get back in?

If they are full capacity (aka, "Stage 4"), no one gets in.
. . . not if your family is inside
. . . not if you are staying on site
. . . not if you are an AP holder
. . . not if you have a dining ADR

CaptainJessicaSparrow
12-10-2007, 05:21 PM
It also goes in levels, which was touched on.

The first level is open to everyone - all Guests and visiting CM's.

The second level I believe is reserved only for Florida Residents and Resort Guests.

The third level is Resort Guests only.

The fourth level is no further admittance.

I might be off on the exact breakdown though but it's something to that effect. I know for the Fourth of July MK and Epcot were capped out by noon.

TheRustyScupper
12-10-2007, 05:28 PM
There are four phases of closing for each park.

Phase 1:
. . . The toll booths are closed to everything except Disney buses and CMs on duty.

Phase 2:
. . . All ticket sales stops.
. . . Unless you already have a ticket in hand you are not allowed in.

Phase 3:
. . . Only Resort Guests and Annual Passholders are allowed in.
. . . If staying at a Disney Resort without tickets on the room key you may be asked for ID.
. . . If the tickets encoded on your room key
. . . If you have an AP and biometrics match.

Phase 4:
. . . The parks are closed to everyone.

NOTE:
If you show up at a park and you would normally not be allowed in due to a phased closing, and you have dining reservations in that park, it does NOT make any difference, they still will not let you in.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
12-11-2007, 12:45 AM
Ah, I knew it was something to that effect. I've never been in Ops so I've never had it fully detailed or explained.