PDA

View Full Version : Speed Racer Movie (Opens May 9)

Dracula766
12-07-2007, 05:31 PM
I just watched the trailer. I'm actually rather impressed.

:car:

What do you guys think?

NotaGeek
12-07-2007, 06:03 PM
I was never a Speed Racer fan, but my brother loved it... so I have seen all the cartoons in my youth. I will definitely go see the movie, but I have a feeling it's not going to be a hit. Just a gut feeling...

To check out the trailer you can visit the Speed Racer AOL Site, (http://movies.aol.com/movie/speed-racer-2008/28066/main) or you can visit the pretty lame Official Movie Site (http://speedracerthemovie.warnerbros.com/) (let's hope Warner Brothers puts some money into the site ... I never get when production companies don't jump on the official movie website bandwagon WAY before the opening date!).

Release date is May 9, 2008. TOO far to think about now! :)

Melanie
12-07-2007, 06:30 PM
We saw the trailer last night as well, and I have to admit I thought it looked strange.

Jeff
12-07-2007, 06:35 PM
If the Mammoth Car is in the movie - I'll go see it.:thumbsup:

Davyjones
12-08-2007, 11:48 AM
This movie will either be a surprise hit or will bomb terribly. It's just so difficult to capture the feel of anime (Japanese animation) with a live action format. The look of the trailer gave me a bad flashback of "Dick Tracy" with Warren Beatty and Madonna. Not my favorite movie :ack: . I hope I am wrong about it, but the casting of the movie was interesting.

It might appeal to me more if it looked like a more serious film than it does. It looked like a rental at best. I guess we'll see.

DisneyOtaku
12-09-2007, 04:51 PM
I watched the trailer yesterday and thought all the driving shots looked really...different. More "sci-fi" than anything. Plus there was no mention of "Racer X"! GASP!

I still think they should have filmed it THEN horribly dubbed over it. THEN it would have been Speed Racer!

NotaGeek
12-09-2007, 09:01 PM
The cinematography in the trailer reminded me of that horrible stinker Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. Not sure why... :confused:

Davyjones
12-09-2007, 09:40 PM
I watched the trailer yesterday and thought all the driving shots looked really...different. More "sci-fi" than anything. Plus there was no mention of "Racer X"! GASP!

But Racer X is in the film. He's played by Matthew Fox of "Lost" fame. I saw a few shots of him. Anyone else see him?

NotaGeek
05-09-2008, 12:02 PM
WOW. I haven't seen reviews this bad for a LONG time. I was excited to see it, but now I will wait to see it on DVD. I don't often listed to film critics, or to people that just like to write up their own reviews, but there have been TOO many stinky reviews for this one already!

MNNHFLTX
05-09-2008, 12:51 PM
On that same note, my husband (who was a big Speed Racer fan) and my son were going to go see the movie this weekend. But after reading the numerous bad reviews they decided to pass and wait for the Indiana Jones flick coming out in a couple of weeks.

CanadianWDWFan
05-09-2008, 12:58 PM
they decided to pass and wait for the Indiana Jones flick coming out in a couple of weeks.
Good Idea!!:thumbsup: Just by the look of it, I was not impressed. My gut tells me that this one is going to tank at the box office and then have a DVD cult following.

This weekend though we are going out to see Ironman. I shure hope the crowds have died down a bit.

Dracula766
05-12-2008, 09:17 PM
I'm also hearing that this flick is a complete waste of time. I had such high hopes too.

I'll just check it out for $1 when it hits the Redbox

Melanie
06-07-2008, 01:47 AM
We went to see this today. All the boys with us really liked it - right down their alley. My friend and I thought it was okay. It started slow, but definitely picked up in the end. Visually, it was cool. Lots of purple, and I loved that.

Not a bad way to spend a rainy Saturday.