PDA

View Full Version : Driving from WDW to DFW

MartyS
12-06-2007, 11:08 PM
I'm flying out to get my DD, who has been in the College Program since August. We will probably spend a day in one of the parks, and the head out for Texas. I drove out there with her and flew back, but I'm not sure we went the best way. Is there a good transition from I -10 to I -20 ? Last time I think we went south out of Jackson, MS down to Pensacola to intercept I- 10. Maybe going west, we could just stay on I - 10 through Baton Rouge and then north on I - 49 to Shreveport. It's a real long drive and I would very much like to shorten it as much as possible. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

DizHawk
12-07-2007, 12:05 AM
We're leaving tomorrow night from McKinney to drive out to WDW.

The way that appears to be the shortest and quickest is from Orlando north to I-10, then I-10 all the way to Lafayette, LA, then north to Shreveport and I-20 into DFW.

That's the way we're driving anyway. I thought about going through Jackson, but it seems to be a little longer trip timewise.

MsMin
12-07-2007, 12:07 AM
I think I-49 is great b/c I used to take I-20 to Jackson and down many years ago. I went to school in Arlington as an u/g.
I live in BR and don't have to go that way but do travel to Shreveport and find the jaunt to I-20 easy on I-49. I would also suggest taking I-10 to I-12 at the Louisiana state line and bypass N.O. it will save you at least 40 miles, if not more. Try not to go through B.R. in the late afternoon. After 4 the traffic can get bad crossing the river esp. if there is a wreck. So either leave @ 5am or after 7 or 8 am to miss the rush hour traffic. It is worse going east sometimes but a wreck will make it come to a standstill.

MartyS
12-07-2007, 12:47 AM
Thanks for the great info, I think we'll try going that way. I haven't been to southern Louisiana since about 1964, so I'd kinda like to see it (yeah, I'm older than dirt). By the time we get that far into Louisiana, we'll be like a hungry horse headin' for the barn, with Sweet Mother Texas right over the horizon. Y'all have a great time out there, if you see my DD working at MK, selling popcorn or ice cream, say hi to her. Her name tag says Jessica, Hardin Simmons University .