PDA

View Full Version : Starbucks Warning!!!

thrillme
12-06-2007, 04:44 PM
For those of you interested in purchasing a Starbucks Gift Card for Christmas for someone BEWARE of one thing...

My Mom recently purchased one for me but she purchased a "customizeable" gift card. I'm not even sure what the "purpose" of this is...it seems like a rather silly expense. For example if you buy a $25 card $4-5 of this card goes toward the "customizing" experience. $4-5 could go towards a White Mocha Carmel Latte instead.

So being that Starbucks my be a tasty gift card for many...be very careful of which card you pick up.

Alas...I might be very far behind the learning curve about Starbucks. I like their Lattes but the last time I went through the drive through the clerk asked me if I "would like the song of the day". What a "cute" way to start the day I thought to myself as I answered "SURE"...I positioned myself comfortably and had my cell phone ready to tell all my friend about how the clerk sung me a little song (I wonder what he's going to sing...I can't wait to tell Cindy :)). This is what you buy Starbucks for...the cute customer service. I even had a tip ready...

...I was quite perplexed when he handed me a little card. When I asked what that card was for he told me that it was the "song of the day". Needless to say...he didn't get the tip!!!

offwego
12-06-2007, 04:55 PM
It's a little more then that really.

You customize the actual plastic card by selecting a bunch of opitions (including printing a personalized typed by you message) onto the card and it's created for you. Like a custom greeting card of sorts that you keep and since they can be reloaded (even by others) it could make a good gift in some cases.

So for instance if I was going to buy one for my intercot buddy Di who has a hot choc. thing but doesn't do coffee I could even mention that on the card if I wanted to etc.

I can see how that could be a lot of fun.

RenDuran
12-06-2007, 05:31 PM
I went through the drive through the clerk asked me if I "would like the song of the day". What a "cute" way to start the day I thought to myself as I answered "SURE"...I positioned myself comfortably and had my cell phone ready to tell all my friend about how the clerk sung me a little song (I wonder what he's going to sing...I can't wait to tell Cindy :)).

If you want the clerks to sing to you, you should try Stonecold Creamery! They'll sing a song for just a dollar!

I've never been to Starbucks, so I found your story amusing.

Dznygrl79
12-06-2007, 06:08 PM
I work for starbucks! The personalized gift cards are a new idea. You can get whatever message you want the person you are giving the card to have (happy birthday from mom or merry xmas) then yes there is a personalization fee of 3 and change so you purchase the kit for 25 log on make your personalized card and then its mailed to you!
Now if you want an instantanious gift card purchase one from the register and you get the exact amount
As far as the song of the day..you don't wana here me sing!

Jenemmy
12-06-2007, 08:13 PM
. $4-5 could go towards a White Mocha Carmel Latte instead.

I'm sorry -- did you say anything after "White Mocha Carmel Latte" ??? :tasty: LOL!

No seriously -- I'll pass the info on to the DH who quite often gives Starbucks cards as gifts....thanks!

tinksmom02
12-06-2007, 10:20 PM
I read the title of this thread and thought it had something to do with the drinks, themselves LOL I'd treated myself to a peppermint white choc mocha this evening...it would be just my luck to get a warning about food posioning or something just AFTER I'd taken my last sip! LOL

Anyway, thanks for the heads-up...I'd seen the gift cards in the stores and was wondering what they were charging for it...

ibelieveindisneymagic
12-06-2007, 10:48 PM
I bought one of the customizable gift card for my brother's girlfriend for Christmas. She has just about everything, so I thought this was a cute idea, kinda different, and at the prices we're paying for Starbucks, the $4 doesn't seem like too much for the novalty.

I'm probably a sucker for their marketing, but I hope she'll like it!

Mickey 101
12-07-2007, 12:29 AM
If you want the clerks to sing to you, you should try Stonecold Creamery! They'll sing a song for just a dollar!

I've never been to Starbucks, so I found your story amusing.

:rotfl: This post cracked me up. Are you a WWF fan? I'm pretty sure it's Cold Stone Creamery.

RenDuran
12-07-2007, 06:10 AM
:rotfl: This post cracked me up. Are you a WWF fan? I'm pretty sure it's Cold Stone Creamery.

I'm dying laughing! No, I hate wrestling! And you know what's really funny....I asked my husband and daughter if I had the name right and they said yes! Thanks for calling me on it! :)

Marilyn Michetti
12-07-2007, 07:16 AM
I got a "song of the day" from Starbucks, and I believe it's kind of like an IPod download. Anyway, the clerk said if I didn't want it, give it to someone else, so I guess it's a real "something".:blush:

caryrae
12-07-2007, 11:19 AM
:sing: I'm Dreaming Of A White Chocolate Mocha. Just Like The Ones I Drank Before.:sing:

Man I love the White Mocha.

princessjojo
12-07-2007, 02:07 PM
:sing: I'm Dreaming Of A White Chocolate Mocha. Just Like The Ones I Drank Before.:sing:

:tasty:That's my favorite song......uhhh, Starbucks drink!
:coffee:

thrillme
12-07-2007, 03:42 PM
I feel quite guilty because I even got my son hooked on those White Mocha Latte's. I took a friend there a few weekends ago and I found you can order it fat free, sugar free, caffine free WHEW...The simple really became complicated.

Yes the customization feature can be cool for some who regularly "reload" these cards. Usually I toss mine.

I still think it would be cute if the employees start singing...:blush:

And whooo...I love the cookie dough mess with nuts at cold stone...(StoneCold...cute..:D.)

Kairi_7378
12-08-2007, 10:09 AM

Man I love the White Mocha.

I love the white mocha too... and then I discovered the peppermint white mocha. Yum! Although ordering a "grande nonfat peppermint white chocolate mocha with whip" can be a little hard when you're not awake yet.

Miss Mouse
12-08-2007, 08:44 PM
No white chocolate for me, thanks. There's nothing better than a nonfat, with whip, (regular chocolate) peppermint mocha! Except, perhaps, a slice of the super delicious gingerbread cake to go along with it. Mmmm...

Yup - I loves me my Starbucks! :coffee:

And, BTW, RenDuran - your "stonecold creamery" comment totally made my night! :thumbsup:

EPCOT84
12-09-2007, 03:55 PM
I read the title of this thread and thought it had something to do with the drinks

I read the title and thought it was a price increase alert :blush:

RenDuran
12-09-2007, 07:55 PM
And, BTW, RenDuran - your "stonecold creamery" comment totally made my night! :thumbsup:

I'm glad I could bring joy to so many of you!:)

Lacy
12-09-2007, 09:59 PM
I was a bit perplexed when I first saw the customizable gift cards. But the more I thought about it the cuter I thought the idea was. I know there are several people that reload their cards so it would be a gift they could look at everyday.

I'm not a coffee fan but I can't get enough Starbucks Chai!

thrillme
12-10-2007, 02:56 PM
Well I looked a little more into the "customization" and was really bummed. I was thinking you'd be able to upload a picture or something but...nope.:(

Instead you only get a choice of some "child-like" art. You can manipulate a little in the "My Story" such as you can be a man/woman, a basic choice of shirt and color and accessories etc..but it's very minimal. (The Mii's on the Wii system have OODLES more options)

I'm wondering if they'll let me exchange it for a regular card or else I guess I'll hold onto it till their "customization" becomes more "customizable".