PDA

View Full Version : all we wanted was a fridge! (kinda long)

Lizzy
12-05-2007, 07:34 PM
I am so upset about this whole story I needed to share.

Sunday afternoon we went fridge shopping. My most gracious mother in law offered to buy us one if we could find one under $400. Our old one was about to go it was so old. So we go to Home depot and found one that was $399. The Home Depot by us did not have any more of that one in stock but the one in North Melbourne (30 minute drive) we were told has 5. We decide to go ahead and drive up there since it is Sunday afternoon and we have nothing else going on. We drive up there get the fridge and bring it home. It was our mistake not to check it at the store. We opened the box and there is a dent so huge in the freezer door that the door was crooked. Someone needs forklift driving lessons. So we called them and they only wanted to send a repair man out. Um no, we just bought a new fridge for a reason. We finally get through to the manager and he agrees to refund us $100 and replace the fridge. My husband drives the damaged fridge all the way back up there, and the next one they had waiting for us was also dented. The floor model had no dings or scratches so we took that one.

We get that one home and we were very pleased with it. We were so happy to have a new quiet fridge that fits all of our food. Yesterday I went and bought a TON of groceries. We got a drink out of the fridge at about 10:30 last night still happy over the new fridge (ok so it doesn't take much to amuse us)

Well, my husband gets up at 5:00 this morning, and notices that there is a weird odor in the air in the kitchen and the fridge is making a rattling noise. He opens up the bottom part to get milk out and the light was on but it seemed dark in there. I hear him rattling around and go out in time to see him open up the freezer on top. Everything was black. It was all covered in soot. We pulled the food out and there had actually been a fire in the freezer compartment. So bad that it was starting to burn a hole in the roof of the fridge. If we had gotten up any later our house would have burned to the ground.

We call the store back and the manager was really hesitant to do anything for us but give us a refund. Then he said, well I have other models that are a little more expensive, we were like so? All we want is a fridge, and now we have to make another hour long trip to get one and a refund is the best you can do? We called GE before bringing back that fridge, and they wanted to send out a repair man in a couple days. Ok, if it was a dryer or a dishwasher I could understand, but my food is in coolers right now!

So we load up the fridge and make the trip back to the store. Turns out the manager told the girl that he would give us the $500 fridge but we would have to pay the diffrent. WHAT? Why should we have to pay more for recieving defective products in the first place. So I said just give me my refund and we will take our money elsewhere. So we have to go all the way back up to cust. refunds (9 months pregnant, it takes a while to get around a store) and the customer service girl was like, they are just refunding? That's it? So she gets on the phone and convinces the manager to replace the burnt fridge with the upgrade model. Fine. We will take that. The upgrade is nice. Then the poor girl was calling people to get one out of the back and nobody wanted to go get it. We were there an hour and a half going through this till finally some guy from lawn and garden who had a truck dropping off at that point (I understand how recieving trucks is really important so I thanked this guy profusly) went and got the forklift to get our fridge and loaded it in the truck.

What a freaking mess the whole disaster was! All we wanted was a new fridge! Now my house smells like fire, my bird- thank God I covered his cage last night because the fumes would have killed him-is ok but I moved him out of the kitchen now. My food that was still in packages is covered in black soot and has to be washed, we are waiting for the new one to get cold enough now so we can get the food out of the coolers.

And you would have thought that all of that stress would have started my labor. Nope! Argh! :mad:

WDWFanatic
12-05-2007, 07:55 PM
Oh Lizzy, you poor thing. I'm so glad it FINALLY worked out.

I hope this fridge works great for you!

Jeff
12-05-2007, 08:08 PM
What an ordeal!

BronxTigger
12-05-2007, 08:43 PM
Wow. That is insane. I have heard that Home Depot's customer service has gone down in recent years. Fortunately you encountered that lady at the end of the ordeal.

I'm surprised Home Depot sells floor models. I used to work at a Target store and we could not, under any circumstances, sell floor models. We were told it was because they had a higher fire risk. I never understood why a floor sample has a higher risk, but your story illustrates that point.

I'm glad everything turned out okay in the end.

joanna71985
12-05-2007, 09:30 PM
Wow, that is crazy!

jray21
12-05-2007, 09:50 PM
I can't believe that even after a fire they wouldn't just give the better model!

TikiGoddess
12-05-2007, 09:56 PM
Wow, what a story! What a shame you had to go through all that trouble. My hubby would have lost it about halfway through, sounds like yours has more patience than mine...

Best wishes for a beautiful baby, soon!
Kathy

Beast_fanatic
12-05-2007, 09:57 PM
Hi Lizzy! :hi:

Sorry you had so much trouble just getting a fridge! And, that it didn't jump start your labor! ;) Hope everything works out fine with this fridge, and that you have a very healthy, happy baby (and soon!)! :thumbsup:

cal5755
12-05-2007, 10:45 PM
That stinks!! I am glad in the end you got the upgrade.. I would have brought the reciept of the food I purchased and made them pay for that as well!! No custumer should have to go through that much trouble!!

BTW... sorry about the labor lol.. . I tried everything I could think of with my first with no luck!! I am wishing you a fast and healthy delivery :thumbsup:

mudpuppysmom
12-05-2007, 10:47 PM
WOW, what an ordeal!!!

Four days after I had my son we needed a new stove so DH drags me to the Sears warehouse (the "scratch n dent" place that also sells new models that people have returned too) and I pick out a stove in like three minutes and say let's go......DH decides at this point "hey while we're here why don't we get a new fridge too"......I'm like hey, I just had a baby and I'm not walking around this ware house searching for a fridge too......but I take one for the team and pick something out. You can tell I was not in my right mind when you look at the fridge -- nothing like what I would have normally picked, PLUS it has a nice gauge in the side that is showing!! I just hung a dry erase board there to cover it with magnets........I know it's there though!!

Good luck on jump starting that labor!!

princessgirls
12-05-2007, 11:01 PM
Wow! That's a story.

It makes my fridge shopping frenzy seem mild in comparison.

Best of luck with the new baby.

Julie:mickey:

Miss Mouse
12-06-2007, 02:32 AM
I just can't get over the fact that the fridge they sold you caught fire and could have quite possibly burnt your house down had your hubby not got up, and the store doesn't think they should do anything to compensate you. :scratch: That just blows me away! Sounds like you lucked out with the customer service girl in the end though, thankfully.

Good luck with your new fridge (and your impending arrival!).

ChipnDaleGal
12-06-2007, 05:59 AM
What a crazy ordeal, Lizzy. Hopefully you are all set now and can just wait for the baby to make its appearance. Good luck! :baby:

Lizzy
12-06-2007, 08:12 AM
I am glad though that the baby wasn't in the house for that, the fumes would have been terrible for him!

The manager guy was like- this is the last discount. What a jerk. So far so good with the new fridge though.

DizNee143
12-06-2007, 08:29 AM
aww..im so sorry..
sounds like something that would happen to me and my fiance...every simple thing we try and do turns into such an ordeal!
glad everything is ok now and you finally have a working fridge!! :mickey:

brownie
12-06-2007, 10:22 AM
Sorry to hear about your ordeal! Home Depot is not my favorite place to go; about the only thing I'll get there is my furnace filters because Lowe's hasn't carried the brand I use.

CanadianWDWFan
12-06-2007, 10:37 AM
What a horrible experience!! I can't believe that they gave you such a run around. Maybe you should try to contact the regional manager or even corporate headquarters and let them know what kind of service you received from them.

I have had issues with Home Depot before which is why they are my last choice to go shopping.

offwego
12-06-2007, 10:52 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this Lizzy. Hope everything works out with the baby really soon.

Christine
12-06-2007, 10:59 AM
All that for an appliance! Geesh!

Good luck with the new fridge, and the new baby!

BTW, go eat a supreme pizza with jalapenos. I worked at a pizza place while in college, and the owner would give "overdue" mothers one of those, and it never failed!

tinkerbell04
12-06-2007, 12:23 PM
My goodness! What an ordeal. I am so sorry that you had to go through all of that! Best of luck with the new fridge and the labor!:mickey:

RenDuran
12-06-2007, 02:34 PM
What an ordeal for you and your husband!

We need a new fridge and I won't be going to Home Depot!

RedSoxFan
12-06-2007, 03:17 PM
Gee -- what an ordeal you had to go through. I would be complaining to the higher ups at Home Depot. You should not have had to go through this. And they should re-imburse you for gas too. Hope the new fridge is working well for you and good luck with the baby.

thrillme
12-06-2007, 04:22 PM
I agree you ought to not only complain to the higher ups at Home Depot but to the manufacturers of the Fridge. I believe that is an "exceptional" case and they owe you for your gas, replacement of the food in the fridge and any damage to the house.

Lizzy
12-07-2007, 09:57 AM
We called to corporate office that day, they didn't seem to interested in the fact that my house could have burned down either. They are supposed to be getting approval for a $200 gift card, but we haven't heard back yet.

I would eat the supreme with jalapenos, however I am a manager at a pizza place and I think I am immune to the pizza idea.

Christine
12-07-2007, 01:11 PM
I would eat the supreme with jalapenos, however I am a manager at a pizza place and I think I am immune to the pizza idea.

Aw, shoot! Well, I tried! :D

Kairi_7378
12-08-2007, 10:17 AM
What a horrible experience! We came home from our last Disney trip to find that our fridge had died when we were away. (And we were NOT happy with Home Depot so bought a new one elsewhere.) I know that it can be incredibly stressful to not have a fridge. I'm glad that you were able to get it all taken care of before the baby came!

conorsmom2000
12-08-2007, 12:34 PM
I agree you ought to not only complain to the higher ups at Home Depot but to the manufacturers of the Fridge. I believe that is an "exceptional" case and they owe you for your gas, replacement of the food in the fridge and any damage to the house.

Lizzy, I am so sorry about your ordeal! And I have to agree with the others - I would complain in writing to the higher ups and to the manufacturer of the fridge - that fire could have been a lot worse! Bottom line, though, is they gave you a hard time when they were selling defective merchandise - they should be doing whatever necessary to make it up to you! I'm glad that CS girl got involved though - at the least the upgrade was something.

We had a similar run around with Sears when we bought a new stove - first time we used the self cleaning function, the inside of door (which was all glass) shattered - it looked like someone had taken a sledge hammer to the inside of my stove! It was crazy trying to get that taken care of!

Good luck with the new fridge - and with getting the labor going!! :thumbsup: :mickey:

Tinkermom
12-08-2007, 08:50 PM
The manager guy was like- this is the last discount. What a jerk. So far so good with the new fridge though.

Geez, he makes it sound like you did all of this just to annoy him and to get a discount! Customer service sure does stink nowadays. :rolleyes: He should have been apologizing and thanking you for putting up with everything that had happened.

Good luck with the new fridge and blessings to you and your little one. Hopefully we will be reading soon that you had your baby! :baby:

Terra
12-09-2007, 06:39 AM
Holy Cow Lizzy!!!!!!!! I would so be writing the Corporate Headquarters of Home Depot about this!!!!! Just to let them know what happened, how it was all treated and you'll be taking your business elsewhere!! At least the customer service girl had common sense and fought a bit for you!!

NOTE: Evening Primrose Oil helped me to start labor...it only helps though if you are already dialted. Once the OB said I was at a 3 I took them and within 3 days David was here!....You can buy them in the vitamin section at any drug or grocery store. :)

Dsnygirl
12-09-2007, 10:44 PM
Wow!! That is a pretty amazing story -- and you're still pregnant at the end of it!! How unfair is that?? ;) I'm glad it all worked out in the end, and kudos to that wonderful girl at the counter who helped you out - she deserves a raise or something, that was very kind of her. I hope this new fridge works out for you!!

Tigger&Stitch
12-09-2007, 11:13 PM
Crazy! It's good that you got it all sorted before the baby came, though..imagine if you had been at the hospital already?

Glad everyone (and bird!) is ok!