PDA

View Full Version : Hey RNs need words of wisdom

NewmanFamily6
12-05-2007, 07:21 PM
I know there are several RNs on the board. I am about to embark on exam week for the first semester of nursing school. I feel so stressed out that I could be :sick: Any advice from the been there done that crowd?:mickey:

sweetcandis
12-05-2007, 08:16 PM
I graduate Saturday at 10:00 am from Nursing school with my RN, BSN. I know finals are stressful, but I promise graduation will be here before you know it. My only words of wisdom are not to be overly stressed. You'll be surprised how much information comes to your mind when you just take a deep breath and focus.

Good Luck!!!:grad:

pink
12-05-2007, 08:19 PM
I have finals next week and I know how you feel. Just relax and in the end it will all be worth it. Good Luck! :mickey:

MsMin
12-05-2007, 09:08 PM
I'm not a nurse but I have a background in tests and measures and I worked for ACT when I was in school and we also did the nursing specialization test (forgive me I don't know what they called it). I can tell you (remind you) about preparing to do your best. Remember "state dependent learning". Meaning the condition you study in will be the condition you will preform your best or will help with recall. That's why we don't drink when we study:blush: Rest improves your memory. Deep sleep is the stage when memories are stored, studies suggest we rehearse in our sleep so plan to get rest before your exam. Distributed vs. Mass practice-- study across time and not one or two cramming sessions improves recall. Study in more than one modality meaning write the info, read it repeat it (say it out loud) helps with recall. And last use positive affirmations before you go to sleep the night before (more if you can) but when you lie in bed at night tell yourself -I will do well, I will recall the info easily, the answers will flow, I am confident, I am prepared.. etc.
:pixie: A little anxiety is good but confidence and a good study plan helps too. You too can do this good luck...

Mollywobbles
12-06-2007, 12:42 AM
My best advice would be for you to relax and to get a good night's sleep the night before the exam.

Also remember when you are taking your state boards that sometimes the answer you think is right may not necessarily be the best answer. The nursing licensure exams like to use questions where there may be more than one right answer. However, only one of these is the best answer. You have to pick which answer is best and is most appropriate. (I hope I worded/explained that in a good way.)

meandmydog1
12-06-2007, 05:04 AM
Ok, calm down. Some of the worst things we can do to ourselves is think too much and to not be relaxed. I have been an RN for 22 years and I have seen nurses come and nurses go and the best advice I can ever give someone is to relax. You have been preparing for this test for quite some time now I am sure. If you don't know it by now, you most likely wont remember it come exam day. Cramming is awful and not a valuable test taking technique. Deep breathe. Before and after the test, and if you are of legal drinking age have your favorite beverage when you are finished the exam. Hope all goes well for you.

kakn7294
12-06-2007, 07:31 AM
Relax, eat right, sleep right and try not to stress. When it comes to taking the test, go with your first instinct and don't try to second guess yourself or read too much into the questions. Good luck to you! Been there, done that 16+ years ago!

mrsgaribaldi
12-06-2007, 08:29 AM
When I was in nursing school I spent the whole time saying to my DH, boyfriend at the time, "I don't think I can do this"
Well I did it and it has been 14 years since I graduated. As others said, relax, get enough sleep, be confident in yourself. It's a job just like anything else. Thousands of people do it and they are probably not as smart as you. If they can do it, so can you. Just visualize the end goal.
Don't change your answers alot, like kakn7294 said, "go with your first instinct"
Good luck :pixie::pixie::pixie:

DisneyDudet
12-06-2007, 09:10 AM
OK, I am assuming you are taking a test, and must receive a certain score to be considered for nursing school? If this is testing your knowledge of nursing information, you shouldn't know much, at this point, which is expected. If this is testing your reading and math skills, I would just try to relax and try to remember the basics of what you learned in math, and to just read the passages and don't read INTO the questions. A lot of times we get too focused on wondering if the question is "too easy", if you think its easy, it must be a trick. Most of the time, it isn't that its easy, its that you are smart.

One thing I learned in Nursing School was to go with your gut. If an answer pops out to you, and you feel its right, pick it. Don't read into the question or the answers, just go with your gut. Circle it, and go back to it later if you have time if you really aren't sure. If you are told that there is no penalty for guessing, you better mark an answer! If you have NO clue, choose your best, circle it, and come back to it later. The answer might just come to you!

What I figured out for myself was to rationalize and write down why an answer choice was not correct. This helped me actually think through the answers.

Were you given any study materials, or is there a study guide out there for you? Practicing with the types of questions will help. Is it on the computer, or is it pencil and paper? If it is on the computer, and you have time, practice on the computer and read on the computer. Its really strange how people tend to do worse if they study with books and their notes, and the test is on the computer. A lot of nursing schools are going to all computer testing, because the Boards are on the computer.

Most of all, relax. Stressing will not help, unless you are one of those who has clarity under stress. Remember, even though you will do well, if you don't make it, there's next time, even though you don't want that to happen. When I took state boards, thats what I had to tell myself: "I know I don't want to fail, but if I do, I can take it again in 45 days."

You will do well. Keep telling yourself that. Nursing school REALLY made me into a more positive person and now I know I can do anything! I've only been graduated a year, and I am one of the charge nurses on my unit! You can do it, I know you can!!

Good luck. I'd send you Pixie Dust, but I know you won't even need it! But, Ill send a little anyway :pixie:

Cinderelley
12-06-2007, 02:12 PM
How did you do on your other tests? Review rather quickly your strong points on those tests and dig a little deeper for your weak points. Relax. You'll do fine.

mac badger
12-06-2007, 04:28 PM
you've gone to class and studied, right? then you know this stuff. it's right there in your head, relax and let it come to you. take your time on the test, if you aren't sure of an answer, skip it and move on to a question you do know. then come back later to the skipped question, take your time again, weed out what you know isn't the right answer. good luck

ive been an RN for 11 years

NewmanFamily6
12-06-2007, 07:10 PM
Yes I am doing ok in Fundamentals, skills, & drug dosage calculation this semester. It's just that the exams are comprehensive of course and so I feel a tad overwhelmed:blush:

DisneyDudet
12-07-2007, 09:44 AM
Yes I am doing ok in Fundamentals, skills, & drug dosage calculation this semester. It's just that the exams are comprehensive of course and so I feel a tad overwhelmed:blush:

OK, so I totally misread your first post. Oops :blush:

The comprehensive exams are a little overwhelming, but if you did well on the previous tests, and studied the same way, you will most likely do as well on the finals. Just go with your gut, and remember your ABC's!!

mac badger
12-10-2007, 04:42 PM
hey, let us know how your exams went