PDA

View Full Version : Webkinz?

alphamommy
12-05-2007, 01:38 PM
Who knows anything about Webkinz? The only thing DD (almost 8) has come up with for Santa to bring her is a Webkinz. I've looked at their website, and I'm not sure I want her to have one. I have a feeling she'll want to spend all her time on the site instead of reading, playing outside, etc. I'm also a little paranoid about the people behind the other Webkinz on the site - how do I know she's actually interacting with other kids?

Does anyone have any experience with these critters? Are there things to do that don't involve strangers? Am I being overprotective?

Thanks,
Tammy

DisneyWhirled
12-05-2007, 01:51 PM
My kiddos have had Webkinz since they first came out. DD5 & DS8 enjoy playing with their furry friends online. They are not "hooked" on them, we limit PC time. We have not allowed them to go and meet other "friends". Right now, they play with the ones they have. It is pretty neat, they create rooms, play trivia games and earn points to buy things for their Webkinz. DH and I are usually there to keep an eye out!

Tinkerfreak
12-05-2007, 02:10 PM
I agree with the op. My DD's have a few and they talk to each other and a few friends that I know. You have to allow someone to be your friend and give them your webkin name before they can talk to you. It is not like a chat room that anyone can go into and IM your child. My kids never give anyone permission to join them without me approving it first. Like I said it is just their close friends that I know really well.
We also limit the time they can spend on it. It is no different than hand held games or video games you have to limit it. They know if they give me any argument when I tell them time is up that they will lose computer time for a week.

Mom to a Princess and a Prince
12-05-2007, 02:32 PM
DD6 has one and will be getting another one for Christmas. DS4 will be getting his first one. Everything is pretty innocent and DH and I make sure to be around while they are playing on the computer. And the excitement definitely died way down after several weeks of owning a Webkin. Originally DD wanted to be on the computer every spare minute, but now she will go days without playing.

Pipalotta
12-05-2007, 02:35 PM
The girls I watch all have them and love them. But just like anything else, when they first get them they want to play them all the time, but after a while the novelity of them wears off and they nearly forget that they have them. As far as the website goes, it is completely set up to protect kids from other kids and adults. You play games againist other people but the only chatting you can do is to pick from a list of sentences such as "youre really good at this" "Im having so much fun" etc. And just because you buy your child a webkin doesnt mean that you have to actually allow her to get on the website. But if you do she will have lots of fun designing a room and learning to manage her money in order to buy things for her webkin.

Christine
12-05-2007, 02:37 PM
My DD8 got one last summer. At first (as is par with most toys) she was gung-ho and all about it!

Now, I bet "Snowball" the white terrier is skin and bones and has the mange! :D I dont' think she's been online to see about her in 5 or 6 months!

I think they're a neat idea. I actually played some of the games (just trying to earn some kinzcash for DD to shop with, of course! :blush:)

Mackflava99
12-05-2007, 02:45 PM
i was against it at first, because i have a neice that addicted to the web site.
But my Twins wanted to get one and i caved in. They actually have alot of fun and i got suckered into playing some of the games and they are fun. If any thing i use it as a reward-
If you finish your homework by 7pm, you can go on for 1/2 an hour
its not too bad-

Disneyatic
12-05-2007, 02:54 PM
My DD8 has a bunch of them and they are really neat.
Like the other posters have said, you "adopt" your animal and then you can design a room for them. You do jobs (play games) to earn money to buy extra things for your pet. DD is very careful about what she spends her money on! They can receive communications from other people, but only if they are approved. DD has a friend that always sends her pets gifts. You can also chat but it is very generic and you have to pick from pre-chose phrases.

I would say that this is a pretty fun and safe toy (don't have to worry about any lead hopefully!) and it does teach the kiddos some lessons while they play (money management, taking care of the pet, etc.)

Kidsmom
12-05-2007, 03:09 PM
I agree with everything everyone has said. Very safe, I play occassionally to get them Webkinz Cash (and it is fun), no personal interaction with others.

Also...my kids (4, 6, 8 & 10) LOVE the stuff animals. My boys (4 &8) love the animals more than anything else, although do the website from time to time.

It is a very harmless, sweet toy, that takes up NO Room...which we love! (since the activity is on line and has no hardware unlike funkeys. Also not expensive!

kakn7294
12-05-2007, 03:17 PM
My DD's have them too. I've been on the website - my girls mostly just play the games and buy stuff for their pets with the "kinz cash" that they earn online. My oldest might occasionally talk to her friends who have Webkinz as well but it's rare. The 8 yo mostly just plays with the animals as stuffed animals and doesn't go online much. I like the games too and will logon to their account (they decided to share an account - more pets and money for more stuff when you play together) and play the games too.

Disneypixie513
12-05-2007, 04:32 PM
Me(15) and my sister(11) both have them and we love them! My sister got it back in august for her birthday and i just recently got one..
The games are alot of fun and if someone did talk to you, they can only choose from already formed sentances..Like Hi,hello,This game is fun,You're going to beat me,I won! etc etc. so i think it's very safe in that aspect. As far as time goes, i agree with some other posters. Use it as a reward type of thing. Like maybe getting play time for getting homework done on time,helping with chores,etc etc.

alphamommy
12-05-2007, 08:53 PM
Thanks for all the info! I feel a little better about this.

One of my concerns (besides the ones I outlined in the first post) is that the computer that she uses is in the basement, but my laptop is upstairs. For her to play with it on her computer, I will have to drop everything and go to the basement with her. I really would rather not fight for time on my laptop!

I guess Santa's elves will be getting an order for a Webkinz soon!

Tammy

danyele128
12-05-2007, 10:56 PM
They seem to be fine to have. We have had two for about 3 months and the girls love sending gifts and mail back and forth. They have 3 friends from school and dance that are allowed to send mail and gifts and that is it! They don't really ever chat. I myself have sat up until the wee hours exploring all the different games and several of them are educational. They get a kick out of having jobs to earn money so they can buy a spaceship cat litter box! Go figure. I just remind them every now and then that it is not like that in the "Real World".

The new game at our house is, Mommy pick a number, the closet gets to go first!

RenDuran
12-06-2007, 02:37 PM
I was in a checkout line today and saw Webkinz trading cards. It looks like cards to trade in real life and a card with a code to redeem for something in the game.

One of my friend's kids love Webkinz. It's the only online game she lets her little kids play.

mickey&missy
12-06-2007, 04:32 PM
DD6 has a bunch of them. She plays with them online rarely. Even when she does she doesn't interact with others. She just plays the games, gets the Kinz Cash and buys stuff for them. She prefers to actually play with the stuffed animal then to play online.

It seems pretty harmless to me. Now all sorts of toy has something like it where you can play online. Littlest Pet Shop, Bratz, etc. All of the toy companies are trying to cash in on the craze!

pink
12-06-2007, 07:06 PM
Like other people have said the excitement dies down after a few weeks. I've watched my brother go online with his Webkinz and it's well made and fun. :mickey:

Marilyn Michetti
12-06-2007, 08:09 PM
I make porcelain dolls, and will occasionally spend a Sat. in the store where I take class, in exchange for supplies, etc.

Webkinz are about the hottest thing on the market, but what amazes me, are the number of adults, my age, that buy them for themselves. They've come out with a whole line of accessories and clothing, and aren't expensive at all. The toys teach budgeting skills, and with some supervision are a positive way to spend some good time.

I don't think Webkinz are going away anytime soon. For the price, they beat some of the video junk on the shelves. We have a waiting list for older animals, and a regular subscription service. We can't keep them on the shelves.:secret:

PoohGirls2
12-07-2007, 07:19 AM
Both of our DD's have them. Like several others have said, they don't play the games near as much as they did when they were new.

Also, keep in mind that the code is only good for 1 year. After that you either have to pay a renewel fee or that pet can no longer be cared for online.

Here we go again...
12-07-2007, 08:12 AM
My DD loves hers. But they do play with them a lot at first, then it dies down.

Here is something to keep in mind.
Once you use a code on a Webkinz it expires after about a year. I did not know this. After that, it is no more good, just a toy.
Since my DD got about 5 of them I will not let her activate them all at once. I do not want to be searching for these things again in a year.

kakn7294
12-07-2007, 08:21 AM
My DD loves hers. But they do play with them a lot at first, then it dies down.

Here is something to keep in mind.
Once you use a code on a Webkinz it expires after about a year. I did not know this. After that, it is no more good, just a toy.
Since my DD got about 5 of them I will not let her activate them all at once. I do not want to be searching for these things again in a year.Actually, I'm not sure how that works. That was my impression too, that the animal expired (boy that sounds bad!) after 1 year, but I think it's the entire account that expires if no new codes are added. My DD's have had their account since Jan 4, 2006 and all of their animals are still there and seem to get renewed as each new animal is added. I think as long as you add a new code within 1 year of the last time you added a code, the account and all of the animals will continue - and the account will tell you right on the "My Pets" page when the account is due to expire.