PDA

View Full Version : An Intercot "Decoder"

CosmicRay
12-05-2007, 12:38 PM
I dont know how much time and effort it would take to do this but... I just told a friend of mine who has never been to WDW about intercot and she was going to look it over for ideas. Reading over the posts, I started thinking she wont know what SSE is or Poly or what an ADR is. I know there is an acronym page to decipher all that. But wouldn't it be nice if when we typed a post and put those acronyms in it automatically puts it in blue and underlined (like on google and all that) where when you run your mouse over the acronym it tells you what the word is. What do you all think?

DizHawk
12-05-2007, 01:05 PM
That's an interesting idea, my DW. I smell a Christmas break project coming on.:thumbsup:

Anyone else interested in this? I'm kind of geeked up about it now.

IloveDisney71
12-05-2007, 01:12 PM
What a great idea. That would have helped me when I first joined this past summer. I think I've figured out a lot of the most common ones by now.

CosmicRay
12-05-2007, 01:20 PM
Even after being on Intercot for so many years, just the other day DH was reading a post and came across an acronym and we were both racking our brains trying to figure out what it was and we finally figured it out. But I just thought it could be helpful for anyone.

ibrowse17
12-05-2007, 01:47 PM
http://intercot.com/infocentral/abbreviations/default.asp

Check this out for most of the "codes":thumbsup:

Kidsmom
12-05-2007, 01:50 PM
I agree. I am new to discussion boards in general and have had quite a time. Actually, it took awhile to figure out DH and DW....althought I don't know what it really stands for except wife and husband. What is the D part of DH??

John
12-05-2007, 01:50 PM
Yep - it already exists. Thanks Carol. If you havn't visited INFO CENTRAL here at INTERCOT lately, you havn't visited INTERCOT.

If you find one missing, just PM Carol.

John
12-05-2007, 01:51 PM
I agree. I am new to discussion boards in general and have had quite a time. Actually, it took awhile to figure out DH and DW....althought I don't know what it really stands for except wife and husband. What is the D part of DH??

From the very same list just mentioned...

BIL = Brother in law
DD = Dear Daughter
DH = Dear Husband
DS = Dear Son
DW = Dear Wife
FIL = Father in law
MIL = Mother in law
SIL = Sister in law

You can also substitute Darling for Dear...

DizHawk
12-05-2007, 01:58 PM
While the abbreviations page is great, it would be nice to have something that doesn't require you to go to a separate page to look the name up. I've got something in mind that won't make any changes to Intercot whatsoever.It will take about 2-3 weeks to get into it, but I think it will be pretty cool.

CosmicRay
12-05-2007, 01:59 PM
I know there's the Abbreviation page, but I think it would be a pain for new people to jump back and forth or to print the page out and have to refer to it each time they want to know what something means. So instead, they would just run their mouse over the abbreviation and a small pop up would show what the word is.

disneymom15
12-05-2007, 02:30 PM
I love that idea.

CosmicRay
12-05-2007, 06:37 PM
Just FYI the word we couldnt figure out was CBJ. DH and I didnt know what that was and it wasnt on the abbreviations page. I finally figured it out, that it was the Country Bear Jamboree. But anyway, that was my two cents.

Wannagoback
12-06-2007, 12:04 AM
From the very same list just mentioned...

BIL = Brother in law
DD = Dear Daughter
DH = Dear Husband
DS = Dear Son
DW = Dear Wife
FIL = Father in law
MIL = Mother in law
SIL = Sister in law

You can also substitute Darling for Dear...

I have always considered the first D in DH or DW as Disney.... You know..... Disney Husband, Disney Wife.....:blush:

2Epcot
12-06-2007, 12:42 AM
After almost 2 years on Intercot, I still find myself unsure about some of the abbreviations every once in a while. Personally I'm not a fan of them, and almost never use them when I'm writing with the exception of WDW. I would much rather just type out what I'm talking about so everyone understands it.

Carol
12-06-2007, 08:40 AM
Here's an even better idea;

Type out the words and don't use the acronyms? :scratch:

Can you tell I'm not a fan of abbreviations either. :thumbsup:

Jeff
12-06-2007, 09:02 AM
Here's an even better idea;

Type out the words and don't use the acronyms? :scratch:

Can you tell I'm not a fan of abbreviations either. :thumbsup:

I agree. I try not to abbreviate unless it's a word I can't spell!:blush:

Piglet822
12-06-2007, 09:59 AM
I thought I was pretty abbreviation savvy until I came across this one at work (which is where I've learned a good portion of the abbreviations):

WWOS

It's not one we normally use because we don't do a lot of charter work out of there but I finally figured out it was Wide World of Sports :blush:

DisneyDudet
12-07-2007, 10:28 AM
What is really sad is that when you start typing them so much, you end up calling them those things! Like CM, and PotC (which I tend to say Pot-See!)

Now I can't live without them! It took me a while to figure them out, but that was actually fun for me!

brad192
12-07-2007, 01:11 PM
I even use them when I speak! :blush: I was telling some friends recently about how you have to make reservations way ahead of time if you want to eat at a specific restaurant, etc. I said something like "With the DDP being so popular, you've got to make your ADR's for your TS meals 180 days out, especially for places like CP or CRT." They looked at me like I was speaking Klingon or something!:funny:

Marker
12-07-2007, 01:47 PM
I've often felt that this board, and heck the whole internet world, suffers from TMA ---- "Too Many Acronyms".

In my opinion, the only sure fire remedy would be to stop using the acronyms, especially the made-up ones. However, that solution has its own problem, people's inability to type, spell, or give a darn whether they can or not.

I will admit however, that I'm a victim of TMA too, but I'm trying to cut down.

SpecJoe Magic
12-07-2007, 04:38 PM
I even use them when I speak! :blush: I was telling some friends recently about how you have to make reservations way ahead of time if you want to eat at a specific restaurant, etc. I said something like "With the DDP being so popular, you've got to make your ADR's for your TS meals 180 days out, especially for places like CP or CRT." They looked at me like I was speaking Klingon or something!:funny:

:laughing: I have done that, too. The sad part is that I didn't even realize that I was doing it until someone told me.:D

Lacy
12-08-2007, 01:09 AM
The pop-up window sounds like a great idea! It would be very helpful. It would even be helpful for new users if the abbreviations were underlined and then when they are clicked the acronym library would open in a new tab/window.

Personally, I like all of the abbreviations. Sometimes figuring out the abbreviation is half the fun of reading the post :secret: I too have been known to speak in abbreviations and as such have received a few strange looks!

EPCOT84
12-08-2007, 02:44 AM
I have always considered the first D in DH or DW as Disney.... You know..... Disney Husband, Disney Wife.....:blush:

First time I read it that way too. Aw heck, I still do ! I makes it fun.

What is really sad is that when you start typing them so much, you end up calling them those things! Like CM, and PotC (which I tend to say Pot-See!)

:haha::funny:

I said something like "With the DDP being so popular, you've got to make your ADR's for your TS meals 180 days out, especially for places like CP or CRT." They looked at me like I was speaking Klingon or something!:funny:

Personally, I like all of the abbreviations. Sometimes figuring out the abbreviation is half the fun of reading the post :secret: I too have been known to speak in abbreviations and as such have received a few strange looks!

Intercotese ! The official language of the Internet Community of Tomorrow :silly:

SignguyTom
12-08-2007, 06:30 PM
At the GF at WDW, is there a 1080p LG DLP LCD HDTV? There was at GCH (near DCA) in DD at DLR! Just ask DD14 & DW.

;)

jpH/keD
12-08-2007, 06:50 PM
I know this has already been posted but the DH,DD.DS. DBF etc...I always thought those were Disney wife or Disney boyfriend and so on... I remember looking that up the first week I was on the boards. I know most of them now but cant believe some call them Dear wife... How funny! I am all for a pop up window! But I do go to infocentral on this site often so that will continue to work also!:thumbsup: It would be helpful for beginners but learning is half the fun!! We figured most of them out...so can they! :mickey:

PirateLover
12-10-2007, 02:08 PM
I also use the acronyms in everyday speak. We never say Magic Kingdom anymore, we just say something like "Let's hit up MK and take a spin around TTA a few times" :mickey: