PDA

View Full Version : Celiac at WDW

redhead78
12-05-2007, 12:17 PM
This is my first trip back to WDW since being diagnosed with celiacs. I got the great info fromWDW about their recommendations,butas we will be at EPCOT I am wondering about what can be available at the Showcase of Nations? All the info from Disney gave me info on the rest of the park and just the US in the showcase. Anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks!
:mickey:

MMouse6937
12-05-2007, 02:41 PM
I actually was just talking to one of my patient's who got back from WDW last week and she has celiac's disease. She said that every place they went to went above and beyond to accomodate her dietary needs. They ate at a couple breakfast buffets, the Yak and Yeti, and I think at San Angel Inn at WS. They even went to Planet Hollywood at DTD. Just make sure the info in on your ADR and you tell them when you arrive and when your server comes to the table. She said everytime the chef came out and talked to her directly, explained options on the menu that they could modify and made her feel really comfortable. She didn't feel bad about it at all. They had a great time. Good luck and have fun!!

mudpuppysmom
12-05-2007, 02:56 PM
If you have ADR's make sure "celiac" is on your ADR. Once you check in and are seated request to speak personally to the chef -- he or she will come out and you can discuss your options.

Alot of times if they know you are coming they will have special things to prepare for you (like bread!).

One specific conversation I remember having was with the chef at Tusker House......I tried to get him to make me a wrap (yeah, I was asking for a miracle) but he did make me salmon with veggies and then I had GF brownie (which he put a cookie on the tray instead and when I asked to swap it he just said keep the cookie too for a snack later). The cookie was YUMM-O!!!!

Just talk things through and you'll be fine.......if you are at a CS place make sure they have a DEDICATED fryer -- that is important too!!

mousaholic
12-27-2007, 05:02 PM
I am heading back to WDW for my 4th trip with Celiac's Disease. I have had many successes and only a few not so great experiences. From my experience, I avoid World showcase restaurants where there is a real language barrier. I had a tough time and a terrible meal at the San Angel Inn, even though my dietary issues were noted on the reservation. I had an excellent meal at Akershus (Norway) and I would highly recommend it (The rice cream is amazing!). I tried to eat counter service in France one time and I just could not make the cast member understand that I only wanted fruit and cheese, no croissant. Most of the Disney owned restaurants bend over backwards with excellent service. The only terrible experience I had was at the Big River Grille in the Boardwalk Area. When I called in advance, they assured me they could accomodate a gluten free diet, but when it came down to it they could not tell me what was in any of the food, they did not send a chef out, and I wound up with a salad and red wine vinegar.

Have a wonderful trip!

cvzdesign
01-22-2008, 04:11 PM
They are amazing for Celiac menus.
At each meal , they always brought out things like tapioca flour rolls (that tasted as good or better than 'real' ones) or chocolate brownie treats or special pancakes, waffles, etc that were all gluten free.
The chefs will personally work with you at any of the buffets and show you what is safe and what isn't.
My wife and daughter never ate so good since they have been on the diet.

Chef Mickey's was especially great and so was Liberty Tree Tavern. The only problem we had anywhere was with the ribs in Animal Kingdom, but that was just that they tasted awful to them.

4myprincesses
01-29-2008, 11:10 PM
My experience with food allergies/intolerances is that the sit down restaurants are TOP notch...they do whatever they can for you! Places we've had chef's work closely with us:
Crystal Palace
Norway
Coral Reef
California Grill
Artist Point
Boma

The counter services are very difficult and hit and miss.

Enjoy your trip!

figgie
02-08-2008, 03:14 PM
My husband and I are both Celiac and we live near WDW. We will specifically go to the Disney restaurants because of the great care and food we get there. It may suprise you to know that even at the fast food stands you can request celiac friendly stuff like hamburger rolls that are gluten free. It may take a little longer to get but it is wonderful at the water parks to sit down and have a good ol' hamburger and fries with out any fear of getting, well the repercussions of eating the wrong thing. My best bet though is the flowerless chocolate cake(comes with vanilla ice cream, too) at the restaurant at the Living seas in Epcot. Yummy!