PDA

View Full Version : Which rides to avoid w/2 broken wrists?

Figaro-n-Cleo
12-04-2007, 11:42 AM
Hi Everyone-
We're headed down on 12/6. My daughter broke her right wrist last Monday (a week ago) and is in a cast. Then, last night she slipped on the hardwood floors and in an effort to not land on her broken wrist, landed on her other wrist. Now that too is broken.

If we still go (we're still discussing it), which rides should she avoid? I cannot seem to remember which "thrill" rides strap you in good and which ones you have to hang on for dear life. I just want to prepare her so that she's not disappointed when we're in the queue and it's time to board and I have to tell her "no" because it's only a lap bar.

Thanks for any help.

tennantsrwe
12-04-2007, 11:55 AM
Sorry to hear about your daughter! Hopefully a trip to WDW would at least take her mind off her wrists...for a little while! :thumbsup: I think most of the rides should be ok for her. Obviously RR @ MGM might be a little tough...as would ToT and TTrack. BTMR and SM @ MK might also prove difficult...but with the casts I'm sure Splash is out anyway. One nice thing about WDW is the rides are enjoyable, even when they're not 'thrill rides.' I guess it also depends on your DD...for instance would the little drop on PoC in MK be intence enough for her to want to hold on? Hope this helps!

alex61821
12-04-2007, 12:19 PM
eek! i am so sorry that happened. I had a broken wrist while i was at WDW a few years ago, of course it was only one wrist. the main issue i had was after a day in the parks my hand would swell up to twice its normal size, so i started using a sling and that helped a lot.

Von-Drake
12-04-2007, 12:20 PM
Sorry to hear about your daughter. That has got to be rough. I would follow the other poster's advice on which rides to avoid.

McCloytrio
12-04-2007, 12:49 PM
I'd avoid the Dinosaur ride @ AK as well. Sorry to hear about both broken wrists. :( I hope she'll be feeling better soon.

wire0monkey
12-04-2007, 01:14 PM
The only thing I would be concerned about at MK is the roller coasters and the Indy Racetrack. Space Mountain isn't so bad, though, and would probably be okay.

At Animal Kingdom, Expedition Everest kind of throws you around. I hold on a lot during EE.

CleveSJM
12-04-2007, 01:27 PM
Got milk? :blush:;)

I would avoid Dinosaur and the Indy racers for sure. Can't think of another one that would be too bad.

LibertyTreeGal
12-04-2007, 01:38 PM
The first two that popped into my mind were Dinosaur and BTMRR. Dinosaur is very hard on your body -- oh! And Star Tours can be too!

gwfx1031
12-04-2007, 01:43 PM
I think avoiding all thrill rides would be best. You would hate jeapordize further injury or long term effects on her wrists, especially if she still has some growing to do. Getting a wheel chair at time may help her avoid it swelling up and gettin uncomfortable. Hope she recovers quickly and best luck in your decision.

cajunprincess
12-04-2007, 02:11 PM
I think the best thing would be no thrill rides as well. I know you said your still discussing weather or not to visit, but the biggest questions is....does she enjoy thrill rides and will she be so disappointed that she can't ride that it will ruin everyone's mood. I think I would be totally bummed out if I went to disney world and couldn't ride RnR!

kakn7294
12-04-2007, 03:05 PM
I don't know how much pain she's in or how tired she'll get walking around with casts (or whatever they used on the second one), but I always recommend taking a small travel pillow (look for a cheap form in the craft department or a small square one on clearance) to rest her arm(s) on when she's tired or hurting. A small pillow fits into a drawstring backpack and is not heavy to carry around all day and is well worth it for some people - it was a lifesaver for my DD last year and that was just around home, not at WDW. Best of luck to you!

diz_girl
12-04-2007, 05:03 PM
Sorry to hear about you daughter.

Other than what people have already mentioned, maybe the teacups or buzz lightyear could also be problematic.

Although CleveSJM mentioned 'Got Milk' jokingly, her two broken wrists concerned me. One broekn wrist may be a fluke, but two may be a pattern. Maybe your DD needs to get a bone density scan to see if she has low bone density. Is she getting enough calcium (at least 1,000 mg per day), Vitamin D and sunlight and doing weight-bearing (including upper-body) exercises?

Good luck and have fun on your trip.

Figaro-n-Cleo
12-04-2007, 08:30 PM
Thanks for all of the replies and well wishes. She's a real trooper. Further testing is planned after her next MD visit in early Jan. As far as getting enough calcium--her bones should be about as strong as they come--all she drinks is milk, oj and water--heavy on the milk. I told her I was going to buy her a cow for Christmas :D.

We haven't decided yet whether to postpone the trip. She said she really wants to go and understands that she won't be able to ride some of her favorite rides. I'm just not sure what we're going to do yet. She was pretty miserable by 4pm today but she insists that if she has to rest, that she'd rather rest after spending the morning in Magic Kingdom.

Thanks also for the suggestion of the slings and travel pillow. If we continue with our trip, I'm sure they'll come in handy.

Thanks everyone.

Sharon1026
12-04-2007, 08:46 PM
Wow. That stinks.

Yes, avoid the thrill rides. Dinosaur, everest, space mountain, primevil whirl, rockin rollercoaster, and probably tower of terror.

The wheelchair/scooter idea is good. Lots of walking will make her fingers/hands swell (anyone's fingers swell) and may cause her discomfort.

Maybe she can get Mickey to sign her cast!!!

garymacd
12-05-2007, 11:13 AM
I am sorry to hear about your daughter's wrists. I had one broken that took about 18 months to heal. Hopefully she didn't break the same bone I did.

On the bright side, think about all the special treatment she will get from cast members and characters. And no need to carry an autograph book. Just keep a Sharpie with her. I am certain she will be fawned over by everyone she meets. Take some pictures of her casts covered in autographs as a memory and let us see them here.

Take some garbage bags and rubber bands with you so she can spend some time in the pool. It would probably be a good idea to avoid Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach, although the lazy river at TL wouldn't be too bad as long as someone helps her on the tube.

#1donaldfan
12-05-2007, 12:31 PM
WOW !! sorry to hear about that.....OUCH !!

I'd say you could ride about any ride that doesn't get you wet....even the faster ones...eg. TOT / RRC.....(your strapped in pretty good and it's not necessary to hold on, but most do)....a lot of people are holding their arms up anyway........just play it by ear.....have a good one...:mickey:

thrillme
12-05-2007, 05:04 PM
I'd say cover her casts on water rides with plastic bags. Dinosaur might be a little rough but hold her close to you and she'll be fine. For the most part I don't see why she'd be restricted from ANYTHING with broken wrists. You're strapped in...there's nothing to really "hold on for". My DS and I have our hands up most of the time ANYWAY.

azdisneymom
12-05-2007, 05:39 PM
Two broken wrists...I am so sorry. I agree with the others that staying off most the thrill rides might be best. Hopefully all the attention from the CMs and characters will make up for it. Besides slings I would suggest ibupofen just in case her arms start to ache. You might want to bring ice packs or zip type bags for ice if she starts to swell at bit. Take care.