PDA

View Full Version : Who is going to leave an additional tip on top of the DDE required 18%

BriarRose
12-04-2007, 11:28 AM
Just wondering who is going to consider the mandatory 18% gratuity a tip and who is planning to make up the difference with an additional tip? According to the response to my emailed question, they are adding the 18% on prior to the 20% discount.

KylesMom
12-04-2007, 12:09 PM
Here in the Chicagoland area, standard tip is anywhere from 15-18%. At Disney, we usually tip 20% or more based on level of service and friendliness at TS meals (the DDE discount) because it's easy to just add back in the discount & round up to the nearest dollar. Simple to track, and easy to finalize the bill and move on to the next activity.

Now we will reserve judgement on which servers will get an additional percentage based on service - not because I feel I should be tipping them more. We will give additional tips to the CMs who give exemplary service and should be rewarded, but we certainly will not be adding the 2% in "just because".

CaptainJessicaSparrow
12-04-2007, 12:17 PM
I will tip on top of the 18% because I know how much they make without it and also, if they are a good server, they deserve it. Plus I tip high anyways.

DizneyRox
12-04-2007, 12:33 PM
Once tip is included, that's all they get, period. Also, if service isn't over the top, I'll be talking to management to reduce that tip.

Tip or gratuity is NOT automatic.

JPL
12-04-2007, 12:54 PM
I have to say by adding the 18% they really said this is what our service is worth. There might be a rare occaision when a server goes above and beyondI might Tip more. But I agree once you add it to the bill that's it. And for the record I am a notorious over tipper.

Jared
12-04-2007, 12:57 PM
Once tip is included, that's all they get, period. Also, if service isn't over the top, I'll be talking to management to reduce that tip.

I don't have a Disney Dining Experience card, but I completely agree. I would never tip extra on the Disney Dining Plan because gratuity should never be included with the bill. I still can't believe how many people say they will definitely give more than the automatic 18 percent.

Womble
12-04-2007, 12:58 PM

I agree with DizneyRox on this.:thumbsup:
I also agree about reducing the tip if the service is bad.

mrp4352
12-04-2007, 01:53 PM
I'm sorry, I couldn't answer your poll, because I will tip more if service merits, but I'm not going to automatically bump it up to 20%.

sillyolbear
12-04-2007, 04:08 PM
As others have shared, I routinely added the 20% right back on as the tip and in fact generally tip 20% most places.

Now, I may add the difference if the cast member really does a 'magical' job. But for most meals, it is what it is.

brad192
12-04-2007, 05:20 PM
To quote Webster's dictionary, at gratuity is:

"something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service".

Note the word voluntarily, and the phrase beyond obligation. With the DDE, it's NOT voluntary, and you're obliged to pay it. That's why I'll not be getting a DDE card anytime soon. If you're forced to pay the 18%, it's not a gratuity any longer - it's a surcharge.:mad:

Natazu
12-05-2007, 02:38 AM
Basically we're going to tip what we would normally. So, if the service is worth 30% we'll leave extra. And if the service is worth 5%, we'll find a mananger and make arrangements to leave 5%.

Natazu
12-05-2007, 02:40 AM
To quote Webster's dictionary, at gratuity is:

"something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service".

Note the word voluntarily, and the phrase beyond obligation. With the DDE, it's NOT voluntary, and you're obliged to pay it. That's why I'll not be getting a DDE card anytime soon. If you're forced to pay the 18%, it's not a gratuity any longer - it's a surcharge.:mad:

You know, that's almost exactly what I told DDE and Guest Relations when I sent an email about the policy change. I did not get a response.

Kathie_WE
12-05-2007, 07:01 AM
It will depend on if the service deserves the extra amount.

However, I think this a good idea because the server will get tipped according to the pre-discount amount. Too many people tip according to the final amount after the discount - and that reduces the tip the server is entitled to.

Yes, I said entitled to - they provide a service and should be paid accordingly.

My .02

CHEERS!

Kathie

AwPhooey
12-05-2007, 08:28 AM

DizneyRox, you've hit the nail on the head!

I realize waiters and waitresses don't get paid very much per hour, but I don't think that it is the patron's responsibility to make up for it without taking into account the level of service provided.

While I generally tip 15-20%, if the service is excellent, I'll tip more. Conversely, if the service is poor, I'll tip less than usual.

Maleficent's Dad
12-05-2007, 09:25 AM
You know, that's almost exactly what I told DDE and Guest Relations when I sent an email about the policy change. I did not get a response.
Jym,
Funny you say that. I sent a nicely worded email explaining the difference between a service charge and a gratuity.
They never responded to mine either. :unsure:

TheRustyScupper
12-05-2007, 10:19 AM
. . . Just wondering who is going to . . . make up the difference with an additional tip? . . .

1) Make up what difference?
2) I don't understand.
3) An 18% tip is plenty for good service.
4) There isn't that much exemplary service requiring more than 18%.

DDuck66
12-05-2007, 10:42 AM
Even though I voted "No", I will continue to leave more for excellent service. Really good service deserves 20% to 25% in MHO.

Mackflava99
12-05-2007, 11:13 AM
I will definitely leave more -If the service is Above and beyond. If the server does a good job, makes my family enjoy the meal, i will definitely put in an extra 2% + if its something magical- then they will get more. I tend to overtip because i was a waiter during college and i hATED waiting on people. Its tough and i still see rude people who make a server's job so difficult.
Last year , while at Artisit's pointe , there was a family who made me cringe-
Complaining about everything, making requests for items not on the menu, returning food because it wasn't exactly cooked right, being loud and whenever the waiter walked away, they said things about him. My kids overheard and didn't need to see that, and i have difficulty being quiet, but i kept it to myself. in reality, they were taking the waitier away from us because he had to be at their every waking call.
At the end of the night, i heard them say- "well, he isn't getting much of a tip, and saw the man throw a 5$ bill on the table,
Its a pretty expensive restaurant by my standards, but it was a special occasion for us.
so 5$ wasnt going to cover it-
As we walked out, I stopped them , and said- " I just want to tell you that your actions at dinner were appalling, i didn;t like the way you treated the waitier and you actually ruined the night for my family with your antics." - i was trying my best to be polite. I was much bigger than the hubby, so he kept quiet , but the wife said" well, the service hear isn't like the Ritz"
I laughed and said, " i really think you should go back in and give him more of a tip. They looked at me like i was an alien, but i was gettting angry and i guess my eyes showed it., and the son said " hey dad, i agree with this man, we should't stiff him like you usually do" and the father went back and hopefully gave him some more $$. i guess they do it alot and the son had issues with them too.

I seriously doubt it would ever had resulted in violence, that was not my point nor my intention. But at times i just can't hold in my anger when people treat others so poorly.
I have a relative who is like that and i refuse to go out with them to dinner for similar reasons.

TheDuckRocks
12-05-2007, 11:35 AM
I voted no, but I have 3 waiters I'm going to request if at all possible. We have had wonderful service in the past from them and I tipped more than 20% then and if I am so lucky as to be able to get them again I'm sure they will warrant more than the 18%.:thumbsup:
On the other hand if we get less than good service I have already warned the family that I will be asking to speak to a manager.:blush:

#1donaldfan
12-05-2007, 12:58 PM
We normally tip very, very good. If the server is just average, we'll tip at least 20%....if they're over the top we will go somewhat higher....if they're below average or just plain rude, well, we still tip, but it's a smaller percentage.....BUT, at Disney, so far, we've only had top notch service ...... sorry, I don't think I've answered your question specifically.:mickey:

Marker
12-08-2007, 03:01 PM
Basically we're going to tip what we would normally. So, if the service is worth 30% we'll leave extra. And if the service is worth 5%, we'll find a mananger and make arrangements to leave 5%.

Thank you!!!!! And I agree with doing what I normally do, I don't see how this requires any real change.

It still surprises me how up-in-arms people are over this tip thing.

I remember numerous comments about the built in tip with the soon to be old DDP. Comments about how it was killing the level of service; about how it wasn't fair to the servers. But then the moment they took the tip out of the DDP, suddenly this was going to kill the level of service. I swear, seems people are just never happy if we can't complain about something. And, if you are convinced you are going to have bad sevice, you probably will, but I'm likewise not so convinced that it's entirely the server's fault.

If you don't normally tip at least 18% for good service, then I say shame on you. And sadly, my guess is they wouldn't be imposing the built in 18% if they didn't need to.

And then to decide that as long as the 18% is built in, that no matter how good the service is you won't tip more, to me is kind of misguided too. The decision to include an 18% built in tip, to my knowledge, is not the decision of the servers themselves. It's the decision of Disney management. Yet, by deciding not reward exceptional service, you're penalizing the servers. Just doesn't seem logical to me.

DizneyRox
12-08-2007, 06:30 PM
Unfortunately, in my experience more often than not, a guaranteed tip DOES diminish the quality of service.

I do think that when it was added to the DDP it did lower the quality of service for those diners. I am not complaining that they removed the tip because I fear they will lower the sevice further, my complaint is about the value of the plan in general. I don't give a hoot either way, the DDP isn't a value in my book any way I look at it. Wasn't before the change, and it certainly isn't for 2008.

To me it's an insult to add a gratuity. I determine the gratuity, and really I am a very good tipper. BUT, once you take the control out of my hands, that's it. What if the percentage was 25%? It's an arbitrary number not based on anything other than some "accepted" percentage. According to the "rules" I can't tip less, so why should I want to tip more?

For me it's more about the set percentage than the actual percentage, which boils down to choice. I like choice.

disneymom2000
12-09-2007, 07:34 AM
1) Make up what difference?
2) I don't understand.
3) An 18% tip is plenty for good service.
4) There isn't that much exemplary service requiring more than 18%.

I agree. What difference? 18% is already at the above normal range (maybe not to Disney, but to the rest of the world). I tend to overtip because I learned how waiting on people worked when my daughter was a waitress while attending college. But to be forced to add a tip is not right. However, there are a lot of stingy people who tip nothing or so little it's embarrassing if the service is very good. :blush:Too bad the waiters can't give customers suggestion cards on their behavior as well.

princessjojo
12-09-2007, 12:41 PM
On our next trip, there will usually be 8 of us and sometimes 9, so the tip will automatically be included for us. I don't know about you, but even on the low end of dining expenses at $200 for dinner, that is roughly a $40 tip for 1 table. I agree that waiting tables isn't as easy as it looks. I paid my way through college waiting. But to bring drinks or food to a table of 8 is not too much more work than a table of 4 and I would love to average that kind of money per hour. Sure my dinner may take an hour and a half, but $35/hr is good money to me...Then you have 2-5 other tables for the same time frame...

To answer your question directly, no this trip I do not plan to tip additional unless the service warrants extra.

ILoveLegos
12-09-2007, 02:47 PM
The way I see it, before the mandatory tip, my family left the 20% "savings" (and upwards for great service) as the service tip (like a lot of other DDE users). Now Disney is adding a mandatory 18% tip, so they are telling me that I should actually "save myself" 2% and not leave a more substantial gratuity. Wow, if that's what they want me to do, I'm not going to argue - it makes having the DDE card an actual savings again - if only 2%! However, if I worked as a server that would sure burn me up, a "good server" can hustle, be attentive and informative and make much more than an18% tip. This decision is hitting good servers in the pocketbook and giving lousy servers no incentive to improve their service abilities - that's very sad.
I must add that as a regular in WDW we have a couple of great servers who get big tips from us, because we know that in their hands - we are in for a fantastic dinning experience, when other servers exceed our expectations they can expect a similar gratuity as well. :mickey:

DisneyEpcotDad
12-09-2007, 03:36 PM
If service is extraordinary I will add more to the already identified 18%. But, if service is terrible, I too would complain and ask that it be reduced accordingly.:sick:

magicofdisney
12-10-2007, 07:35 AM
Can anyone explain Magical service that could ever warrant more than an 18% automatic gratuity? In all my years of sit down service, I've never received Magical service. :confused: At what point did service become so unprecedented, that a tip beyond 15% was applicable?

Marker
12-10-2007, 10:03 AM
In all my years of sit down service, I've never received Magical service. :confused:

And yet you keep going back???

If that were my experience, I think at some point I'd cut my losses and stop going.

Mackflava99
12-10-2007, 11:37 AM
My experience also is that when a tip is guaranteed, then the service is not as good-
A good example is the NCL cruiseline which went to having the tip included. I have noticed a drop off in individual service.

BUT i also understand that there are alot of people who are cheap and don't tip well or even at the minimum. We all know thise people, and i guess it does hurt the waitier business.

- Lastly- as for the quote- " I have never had a magical experiene at a sit-down dinner" ...Huh??? I am shocked to hear it, because we have had many,
and I am normally always impressed with the service, to the point when it isnt good, i trully notice. I guess our approach to how we approach the staff must be different, or else we have much different expectations ?

mudpuppysmom
12-10-2007, 05:35 PM
We normally leave at minimum 20%, which was our "savings" from DDE. A few times we left more than 20%, and sometimes we left 10% -- like at buffets where the servers basically bring you a drink and maybe clear your plates if you are lucky! I specifically remember a dinner DS and I had at CP last December at which we had four plates (two trips worth) on our table waiting to be cleared and also empty glasses when the bill was presented to us......the second time we saw the server!! (The first was to take our drink order which I guess he brought while we were at the buffet the first time, I can't even attest that HE brought our drinks). I really felt like he deserved just about no tip, but I had to leave something, so it ws 10%.

Last September we were at Narcoossees and had absolutely fantastic service and left WELL above 20% (I can't remember for sure because DH left the tip, but I know it was above 20% and the guy deserved it).

So, it depends now on what type of service we will be getting. We are going in January and I have sit downs and buffets planned.....I'll report how it all shakes out.

magicofdisney
12-10-2007, 05:38 PM
And yet you keep going back???

If that were my experience, I think at some point I'd cut my losses and stop going.
Well if dining makes Disney magical for you, then so be it. :rolleyes: It's not what lights my fire when thinking of Disney.

BTW, do the extra ?? mean you're in more disbelief than if you had just used one?

Belle_0717
12-11-2007, 01:11 PM
I feel if the service is EXCEPTIONAL, I would leave extra tip. Sometimes you don't even want to leave 5 cents.

Use your judgment.

magicofdisney
12-11-2007, 03:22 PM
- Lastly- as for the quote- " I have never had a magical experiene at a sit-down dinner" ...Huh??? I am shocked to hear it, because we have had many,
and I am normally always impressed with the service, to the point when it isnt good, i trully notice. I guess our approach to how we approach the staff must be different, or else we have much different expectations ?
Well I have no idea on what your assumption is on how I approach the staff (whatever that means).

I'm still waiting for someone to explain Magical service during a meal.

I apologize if the implications was that I've had hundreds of TS meals. I certainly have not, but I have enjoyed TS since childhood (here and there on occasion). And for the record, which apparently it needs to be stated in order for acceptance, we always round up to the nearest dollar from 20%. We're not cheapskates. Sometimes it seems like the hoopla gets out of control just because someone has a meal at Disney. :unsure:

thejens
12-11-2007, 08:16 PM
I think the feeling that tip is mandatory does make me feel less inclined to reward good service. I guess I kind of feel that the compulsory tip means good service is mandatory as well. The tip doesn't really feel like it is mine to give anymore, frankly. If I really recieved outstanding or Magical service I am sure I'd feel differently, but I have to agree that I haven't recieved Magical service at Disney. Efficient, yes. Pleasant, yes. Magical? No. Not exceptional in any way really. Not a complaint, just my point of view. I've dined at lots of great restaurants, had great, even magical, food, but the service was mostly, just fine thanks. I'd say the rides are magical, the landscaping is magical, the ambiance at the resorts are magical, the fireworks are magical, but sadly, the famed "Cast Members" not so magical in my experience.

CU Tiger
12-11-2007, 08:43 PM
I wonder if they automatically added this 18% because too many CMs were getting stiffed?? If they only put 10% automatically, many people would not go above this since they think the gratuity is already included. I have never stiffed a server, because I know how hard they work. But, I still like to decide what they deserve by their service. DW’s servers are good, but not all deserve 18% and I would like to make that call myself. I fully agree adding 18% for large groups, but wish they would let me make the choice of what gratuity to leave. :mickey:

disney323
12-11-2007, 10:08 PM
We also used to tip back the 20% and a little more if the service was very good. I have seen so many other people only leave a dollar or two when they pay the bill and they had good service but are cheap. The servers typically work hard and have to deal with so any difficult people, they should get at least the 18%

Rosemickey68
12-15-2007, 02:22 PM
My 2 cents.....
I think that by adding a mandatory tip of 18% can give some waiters/waitresses the impression they don't have to provide quality service. Note...I said some. We have eaten at places that have the mandatory tip and have received poor service as the server had the attitude like they already made their tip and don't have to work for it, then again have eaten at some that the server was excellent and we actually gave more $$$. I agree that if I am expected to pay a "mandatory tip" of 18% then I expect to get good service.
I have never left a table and not left a tip and I base the tip on the service the waiter/waitress provided. I will tip over the 18% if the service provided was excellent. I normally tip anywhere from the usual 15% to 18%, and will tip up to 25% if the service was excellent.
I understand servers don't usually make much money per hour and depend on their tips. I don't really like having an established mandatory tip set up for me, but can also understand scenes like one of the post above where the family gave the waiter such grief about everything and it sounds like the waiter was going out of the way to please them and then the man was going to leave $5, so in one way I can see Disney doing this for their servers. I just hope it doesn't diminish the service I have come to know while visiting the Disney parks. I also would address poor service to mgmt about reducing that 18% if it occurs.

chamonix
12-15-2007, 06:07 PM
Unfortunately, this new policy may mean the server gets less $$ from us. We have always tipped the 20% back, and if the service was exceptional, we would even round up from there. Mainly because I don't care to do math after dinner and wine, lol. The DDE made that easy. Now they seem to have decided that 18% is enough for me to tip? Since it is well within the tipping etiquette guidelines, I doubt I will add to it, unless it's just to do the rounding up thing again when they are really exceptional. Of course, since tip is included, I am afraid that exceptional service will be less likely.

In the past, I never told them we had the DDE until it was time to pay the check, and you can bet I won't do so now, given the chance.

We can easily spend around $300-600 for dinner depending on how much wine we drink and how expensive the wine is. The difference in the tip amount is pretty small, even at this level of $$$$--only 2 more dollars per hundred--is it really important enough for me to add in 6-10 more bucks when I am already tipping $60--120+? Not enough to worry about, for me or the server, it's easier to just use their figures--so not sure if I will be worrying about making it exactly 20%.

This brings up the other problem with this mandatory tip: tipping guidelines usually say you only tip 10% on wine. So, the mandatory 18% is actually far more than that. Now, we have never tipped the 10%, we always do 20%, but thought I would mention that may be a problem for some who follow that guideline. (of course, this is not an issue at say, Ohanas or character meals, where we don't bother with fine wine and the cost is set for the three of us)

I don't care for the mandatory tip policy, and will endeavor not to tell the server we have the DDE if at all possible until forced to do so. I assume I will continue to round up somewhat though, if the service warrants it, but its just too easy to just use their math and leave 18%, so who knows?

KylesMom
12-17-2007, 05:13 PM
I don't care for the mandatory tip policy, and will endeavor not to tell the server we have the DDE if at all possible until forced to do so.

Does anyone else subscribe to this theory of not telling the server they are on DDE until forced to tell them at the end of the meal when requesting your discount?

Whenever we are seated, we are asked if we are on any dining plan. We've always taken that to also mean the DDE. The one time we forgot to tell our server (this was a few years ago), we received push back for not announcing that we were cardholders at the beginning of the meal. Does anyone out there think there would be ramifications other than a slow bill at the end if we do not announce at the beginning of the meal we are DDE cardholders?

chamonix
12-17-2007, 10:49 PM
Like you, it's been my experience that they always ask us if we are on the dining plan. At first, I would say "no, not the DP, but we have the DDE." It became apparent to me that they only needed to know if we were on the dining plan so they could ensure/help us order "correctly" and were not interested if we had the DDE--they never made any note of it when I told them. So, I stopped saying it. Basically, the DDE is not a "dining plan" so I just say no when asked if I am on a dining plan.

We never experienced any "push back" from servers when presenting the DDE card at the end of the meal, and it's what we do 95% of the time.

Oh, on occasion I would leave it on the table in plain sight, but don't know that anyone noticed--I mainly do it so I won't forget to use it. I do think they may be more consistent in asking this before the meal now that the tip thing is mandatory, but I would prefer they did not, of course! I think a simple way to allay our fears of poor service would be to make it the practice not to ask until after service; I can't think of any reason they would need to know before you dine.

(I know you quoted me and asked for others opinions, but I thought I would clarify my experience)

DVC2004
12-18-2007, 10:48 AM
At home we usually tip 20%, unless the service is not that great then it's 15%- 10%, and on extremely rare occassions we've tipped nothing. We dine out at least one time per week at home, and on vacation we do at least one table service meal per day.

I'm surprised tipping is a topic. If you dine out often then you know it's part of dining out. You pay a premium for being served just like you pay a premium for other services in life. We've used the dining plan before and other times not- our service was just as good on the dining plan with the tip included, and usually we upped the tip just like we would at home. Those who don't care to leave tips can dine counter service and fast food, too. There's always an option.

DizneyRox
12-18-2007, 11:12 AM
I don't think the act of tipping is the issue here, it's the fact that a set amount is automagically included.

I am a very good tipper, I understand that tipping is part of the meal. I'm a glass half full type of person, so actually servers start at a full tip, and I deduct from that as the meal goes on.

DVC2004
12-18-2007, 11:53 AM
I don't think the act of tipping is the issue here, it's the fact that a set amount is automagically included.

I am a very good tipper, I understand that tipping is part of the meal. I'm a glass half full type of person, so actually servers start at a full tip, and I deduct from that as the meal goes on.

Good point. So the issue is more that the 18% is included, so you could not actually tip less or none for poor service. I misunderstood, I thought this was about tipping above the 18%...

DizneyRox
12-18-2007, 01:22 PM
Good point. So the issue is more that the 18% is included, so you could not actually tip less or none for poor service. I misunderstood, I thought this was about tipping above the 18%...
Well, my issue is the included tip. But yeah, the original question was about tipping above the 18%, but I think it digressed into tipping or not.

grumpycajun
12-18-2007, 05:58 PM
With 15% being a perfectly acceptable percentage for adequate service, 18% is fair for great service. I would only add to that if the server went way beyond the call of duty, especially when attending to our children.:thumbsup:

DNS
12-19-2007, 02:35 PM
We tip 20% unless service is not up to par and more than 20% if service is exceptional, so unless service is bad, we'll probably leave some extra.

playdead88
12-19-2007, 03:44 PM
restaurant people - we know who we are - we either work or worked as waitstaff and/or bartenders at some point and all know what it takes to do that job - 20% is a tip - over 20% is a great tip and means that you had awesome service :mickey:

Dixie Springs
12-23-2007, 10:17 PM
I am normally a generous tipper, but when the tip is automatically included in the bill, it's a simply a fee. It destroys the purpose and incentive for tipping.

I disagree with notion that "... If you dine out often then you know it's part of dining out. You pay a premium for being served just like you pay a premium for other services in life..." . I believe that I've already paid a premium by shelling out $22 for a chicken breast and some broccoli. The tip is what I give the server because the establishment doesn't share the huge profit margin with her. It's my choice.

DVC2004
12-25-2007, 09:26 PM
I disagree with notion that "... If you dine out often then you know it's part of dining out. You pay a premium for being served just like you pay a premium for other services in life..." . I believe that I've already paid a premium by shelling out $22 for a chicken breast and some broccoli. The tip is what I give the server because the establishment doesn't share the huge profit margin with her. It's my choice.

You can certainly disagree, but tipping is expected in sitdown establishments where you are served, whether you are paying $10.00 or $22.00 or even $30.00 for that chicken breast. It is also expected when you are chauffered to the airport in a limo. Yes, you've paid a premium to ride already but gratuities part of the deal. This is my point. Sure I guess you can choose not to tip, but you can also choose dine counterservice where tipping is not part of the deal. Which was my point in the first place. You do have the choice not to dine sit down if you have an issue leaving a tip.

DisneyOtaku
12-25-2007, 10:27 PM
This past trip we tipped, but mostly because we felt we had great service and it was the Christmas season, give a little! If we had gotten bad service, then the extra tip wouldn't have been as much, if one at all.

Marilyn Michetti
12-26-2007, 11:32 AM
Tipping is getting ridiculous. A Character breakfast is over $50 for two with, (or maybe including 18%), but they're buffets, for goodness sake.

That's one expensive breakfast when the servers basically bring drinks, and clear away dishes. We didn't leave anything over the automaticx 18%.:confused:

MsMin
12-26-2007, 12:43 PM
I tip 20% for good service and less if it's a buffet, and 15 for poor service . The problem I have is that giving another 2% seems petty. When the tip was included if I had great service I gave another 10% in cash. I figured that their tips may be cut and that they may appreciate the extra and since it was paid for in advance I didn't "feel" the extra.
However when I'm paying 18% to leave an extra $2.00 is embarrassing so I leave nothing extra I prefer to leave it as is b/c it's too little of a change for all the hassle of changing the amount or leaving a little extra cash. Maybe if I experienced it I would feel different and if they just give you a "bill" for the tip -- it just feels wrong. But I would be apt to round it up to say $20 if it's 18 and some odd cents; but, there is a risk that I may not be bothered to worry about calculating an extra 2% and an extra 10% would just be too much. A buffet-- definitely I would not exceed 18% b/c you don't get the same service as a sit down meal (but you are not paying as much either in most cases).

disneyjoe
12-26-2007, 10:50 PM
IMO, I think they lose out on a bigger tip when automatically charging the 18%. Personally I would tip 20-30% for good service but if your going to include the tip I don't bother. Tells me that the service deserves a tip before even being able to rate it. If you automatically charge me, I automatically choose not to add more!

Again, just my .02

mrsgaribaldi
12-26-2007, 11:02 PM
We only eat one or 2 at the most sit down dinners per trip so I tend to tip big. If it's not deserved we don't. I guess it won't really apply to us since we don't use the DDP. I voted anyway, I hope you don't mind:blush: