PDA

View Full Version : Netflix or other service like it.

Speedy1998
12-03-2007, 10:21 PM
Does anyone have any strong feelings about Netflix or Blockbuster's version of it. I just bought a Blu-ray player. My main source of "rentals" has been the library, but they will not be carrying something like Blu-ray for a while yet, so I was thicking about joining Netflix. It is more expensive then free, that I enjoy at the library, but it looks like I will be able to watch just as many movies without a huge rental fee.

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

chrisb26
12-03-2007, 10:44 PM
I've never had Netflix but I did have Blockbuster for a while. I did enjoy it. It was also nice since I did get free rentals every month for being a member of Blockbuster online. The problem I had was after a while it started to take longer and longer to get my movies. The first couple of months I had the service I recieved my DVD's and would return them and two days later I would have a new one however then it started getting slower and slower and eventually took almost a week to get them. I believe I read Netflix doing the same thing. However I think they did that because I had the plan where you rent three at a time and I was getting them and returning them the next day or so. I read since that is costing them so much more money they do that to slow the amount it costs them. However if you don't do that as much you might not have the problem. However I'm pretty sure I read the same thing happened with Netfix and Blockbuster. Other then that slow time I really had no other problems it was great!

J9
12-03-2007, 11:33 PM
I'm a member of Blockbuster and I love it! We've been members for maybe like a year and a half now and have no problems with the turnaround at all! If there ever is a delay getting movies its because we have a delay in returning the movies! haha!

Blockbuster is nice though because if you don't feel like dropping the old movie in the mail and waiting, you can drop off your old rental at the store, get a movie out from the store for free, and then they will send you a second rental from your list as well! It's the greatest thing ever! I would strongly recommend looking into it!

Tick-Tock
12-04-2007, 12:02 AM
We've been members of Netflix for years and have always been impressed by the service. A couple of times we've mailed back movies and Netflix didn't get them, but there were no hassles about it.

tennantsrwe
12-04-2007, 07:25 AM
We LOOOOVEEE Netflix! We moved from a bigger city to a small town in January and there is only one movie rental store here. Needless to say the selection isn't great and the rentals are high, so we turned to Netflix. It's been great! We do the 3 at a time, unlimited plan and I think it's like $14-ish a month. We've never had a problem with our movies, and if one never arrives or they don't recieve it back there is no problem. (Unless you constantly report dvds as lost.) Also if for some reason, which has never happened to us, your dvd doesn't play they immediatly send a replacement. I've been really impressed with their selection...they have thousands of movies. And you keep a qeue of what you want to watch and they automaticly send whatever is next on the list. And turn around time has never been delay. We send in movies on Monday and have new ones on Wednesday. As for Blockbuster, if there is one in your area you might like having the in store rental and exchange. We don't have one so Netflix it is. And honestly I have never been a big fan of Blockbuster because I think their rental selection is either hit or miss...so it would probably be Netflix regardless. I'd say give it a try at least for the 2 week free period. I think you'll be suprised at the value and convenience!

snowflakegirl
12-04-2007, 08:16 AM
I'm glad to hear good reviews of Netflix. My parents kept asking DH and I what we wanted for the holidays and I couldn't come up with anything, but we're sort of movie junkies, so finally I suggested netflix and they got us a gift subscription. We're going to redeem it tonight.

TheDuckRocks
12-04-2007, 09:02 AM
I love Netflix! We have never had trouble with slow delivery. The things I like about it the best is you can get off beat movies that you can't find at your local rental store (although I don't know what the Blue ray selection would be like) and I can put films that haven't even been released to theaters yet on to a "save" part of my queue. I run with about 120 to 150 movies in my queue at all times and am constantly rearranging them.:D

tinkerbell04
12-04-2007, 09:08 AM
We have experience with both. We had Netflix for about 2 years and we did not find anything wrong with them, except the amount of turnaround time. We have Blockbuster now and there is no turn around time because you can take your mailed movies back to the store and get another one while waiting for your new one in the mailbox. We haven't had any difficulties:mickey:

disneydave4479
12-04-2007, 09:54 AM
DW and I have Netflix, and no problems to speak of thus far.

My $0.02 :mickey:

caryrae
12-04-2007, 11:17 AM
I love Netflix too. I have an HD DVD player and they have alot of HD DVD's and Blu-Ray DVD's to choose from. You can even set it up for a format preference. So since you have a Blu-Ray player you just put Blu-Ray is your prefered format and if any of the movies in your queue are available in blu-ray that's what they will send you.

Becides geting free movies from the library this is the best value. I went to the video store a while ago and it was over $4 to rent one movie.

One other thing I love is you can change how many movies at a time you want or cancel your membership anytime all online, never have to talk with anyone.

I know with Netflix you can try it for free for 2 weeks to see if you like it.

I think blockbuster is pretty much the same except the part where if you have a Blockbuster close to home you can return the dvd to them and get a new one from your queue.

Disneyatic
12-04-2007, 06:01 PM
We have tried both services and prefer Netflix.
They have a great selection, movies are almost always available (sometimes new releases have a wait), you can put movies in your que that haven't released yet and when they come available they will mail to you and their turn around time is really quick. They are also really good with issues about DVD's not playing, getting lost, etc.

We had switched to Blockbuster at one point because of a promo and they were really slow at getting movies sent to us. At the time you got 2 free movie rental coupons a month and that was nice but they quit doing that. That is around the time we switched back to Netflix.

We pay around $18 a month for 3 movies at a time with Netflix.
For our $$, I would recommend Netflix.
Especially around the holiday season, if you know someone who already has the service you can get deals on joining up right now!

Speedy1998
12-04-2007, 09:44 PM
Thank you everyone for your :twocents:.

I appreciate it.