PDA

View Full Version : New to RV-ing (again) but not new to WDW!

btharvey
12-03-2007, 03:38 PM
My DW & DD and I have decided we're gonna give trailering a try (I did it growing up, but that was *ahem* in the late '60s and early '70s ... back when Chrysler Newports could pull 28' trailers). We're most likely going to get a 23-foot hybrid to pull from Maryland, and we're eager for info!

I've examine what I could of FW's web pages, and I wonder from you long-timers (I don't mention 'old' anymore) where you'd recommend requesting ... what loop(s)? We've stayed at the moderate resorts before and spend a good deal of time at MK and EPCOT, but we're also wanting more of the FW type of experience. We'll have two 10-year-old girls with us (part girly, part squirrely) and are looking for advice on what & where. We'll be arriving next August 2008 (mid-month).

What do you think? Don't bother too much with the RV advice ... I've already received so much I know just which mistakes I'll make! (Unless there are some quirks at FW that are particular.) Just the stay at FW and the experience, if you could.

a T d H v A a N n K c S e

medic9016
12-03-2007, 04:09 PM
We have only stayed in the 100 and 200 loops. Short walk to buses, trading post, boats, trails end resturant and Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue. They are smaller loops, I think than the others. The comfort stations are top notch. If you decide to rent a golf cart, you can just cruise the other loops. There a plenty of decorated camp sites to look at. Don't forget the campfire and movie for your girls.

The next must do for me is the FW Segway tour.

TinaAndGlenn
12-03-2007, 08:44 PM
Rv-ing at FW is the best! We have stayed in many loops, preferred and non-preferred. We no longer pay the extra for a preferred site, and opt for regular full hook ups. One thing about the loops, some of them share a comfort station with another loop. So while they are easily accesible, they may be a long walk with your laundry! We have also had to move site-to-site to find one that would accomodate our awning. Other than that, we have always been happy with our accomodations there. 19 days til we go back!

drummerboy
12-04-2007, 08:22 AM
One thing peculiar to FW--backing in can get a little dicey, especially in the preferred loops. I don't think they originally were designed for the longer trailers and campers you see these days. It depends on what site in which loop, but some of them are tight.

Janmac
12-06-2007, 09:21 PM
If you've got room I highly recommend bringing some bikes. We asked for a loop near the Meadow Trading post on our first FW stay and got the 800 loop which we enjoyed. Our grandson and granddaughter (10 & 9 at the time) had a good time riding over to the trading post area for various activities. Several times they tried the nightly movie only to be rained out. But they still liked being able to get around on their own.

If you all have bikes, that's even better. We would ride to the Outpost or Pioneer Hall rather than use the internal bus system. At the Outpost we did lock our bikes but at the Pioneer Hall area we did not. There were too many better bikes than ours not locked up to worry about ours going missing. FW is heaven for bicycling with handy paths, out of the way of traffic, going everywhere you want to go. :thumbsup:

The two times we have visited FW we let the CMs know ahead of time that we had a very long truck with a huge turning radius and each time they got us into a campsite we could handle, first time, each time. Letting them know our vehicle's limitations and asking to be near the Trading Post were our only requests.

One of our bikes is actually a trike with a big basket which makes trips to the laundry very easy. :D

The comfort stations are very nice, even air conditioned. Our grandkids preferred showering at the comfort station because of the extra room and not having to be careful of splashing all over the tiny trailer bathroom. They would bike to the comfort stations of course.

The first trip, in June, we brought a screen room but the second trip, in December, we did not. I don't know if we needed it the first trip but we put it up and used it as our breakfast room every morning.

We did bring Christmas lights to decorate our site in December however, campers pretty much bring some sort of lights, etc., to personalize their site any time of the year. In June we had a string of fish lights that sure looked like Nemo but that was only one small string. After looking at some of the other campsites we were wishing we had more decorations.

Btw, slick "thank you in advance"!

Jan

btharvey
12-09-2007, 10:20 AM
Btw, slick "thank you in advance"!
Thanks, Jan! I shudder to admit that I absconded with that one when the internet was young, before the World Wide Web even existed, and all you really had were news groups.

And thank you all for your information! We are very much looking forward to our first big RV outing to WDW next year (we plan to practice with several little outings along the way). Many thanks, once again!

RocklandRVers
12-28-2007, 11:02 AM
You sound like us. We also are born again RVers. We used to borrow our in laws RV way back in the 80s and early 90s when they had one and sometimes traveled with them. As they got older and sick they were forced to sell theirs. In 2002 we decided to buy our own and chose a Class B (Van Camper) because we had no place where we lived to park a bigger rig or trailer. The Class B can fit in a standard parking space which is nice.

Anyway one of our first big vacations was to WDW and FtW in April 2003. It was my son's first Disney trip and not only did the wife and I become born again RVers, but born again Disney addicts. We have gone once or twice a year since then.

FtW is the best campground in the Universe. Sure some of the spots are a bit tight to back in with larger rigs, but just tell the front desk what you need and they are usually able to accomodate you.

With the internal bus system (FtW is huge!) any site is a good site in my opinion. Plus the place is just plain fun in itself. We have gone down a couple of times and never bothered to go to the parks.

We often take our own golf cart with us and drive around. As some have said you can rent one like we did on our first visit. Its great to be able to get anywhere. Driving a car around is restricted to major roads and there is very limited parking inside the campground. On the other hand they actually have several parking areas for golf carts that include electrical outlets to charge them up while you're away.