PDA

View Full Version : Disney Dining Options for Special Diets

LibertyTreeGal
12-03-2007, 12:01 PM
Wow -- all I can say is that I was super surprised at the difference in the eating options this time around.

Whole wheat tortillas and bread were very common at the CS locations. Even the hot dog buns were whole wheat (my FIL has a chili dog addiction). The really awesome thing was that the counter service credits were not differentiated, and if there was nothing suitable on the children's menu for the boys, we were able to order from the adult menu. So it was relatively easy to avoid Andy's trigger foods. I talked to Stormchaser a few days into the trip and he had noticed the same things.

One of the things I liked was that you actually have to request fries and soda for children's meals, they are not the automatic assumption. The boys were able to get grapes and carrot sticks with every child's meal, along with a bottl of water.

I don't know about any of the other resorts, but Beach Club had an awesome "snack" option -- a huge lowfat yogurt parfait that was loaded with berries and granola. Matt and I had this every single morning for breakfast and it kept his fiber levels on track.

So we actually did make it through the week with very few bumps in the road. :)

TheDuckRocks
12-03-2007, 04:44 PM
Thank you for posting this! I was very worried about our up coming trip in Jan. After spending over a year losing 70 pounds I was concerned about handling counter service food. Those white bread options can be a killer.

LibertyTreeGal
12-03-2007, 05:05 PM
Oh yes, there were more salad options than before, rotisserie chicken was very common, and there were a few wraps (the calorie count on those white tortillas is killer!). But the biggest deal for me, with the weight, is the bottled water. I had maybe one soda all week, and the rest was iced tea and water. Of course, that iced tea was bad for my blood pressure!

I found the chicken ceasar tortilla at the flatbread grill over at MGM. There were a lot of fresh fruit options at AK, which was great. Epcot had three salads over at Sunshine Seasons (avoid the world showcase if you want to avoid the calories!). At MK we only ate CS at Cosmic rays -- their Rotisserie platter had green beans but they were drenched in butter, just to warn you.

dundeehunter
12-04-2007, 10:55 AM
My DD11 has Crohn's disease and can not have high fiber foods, nuts, fresh veggies, and absolutely no alcohol... When at Rose & Crown and the stew says Geunis Stew...how much beer is made with the meat? Are these foods really made with alcohol and do I have to talk to a chef each time we dine?

Her disease is a weird one where the good things like salads are not good for her digestive system...

tennantsrwe
12-04-2007, 12:01 PM
I'm SOOOOO GLAD to hear there are more healthy options these days. I think the combo of vacation and the DDP just makes me eat more, lol. At least now I can scale back a little and have the option to make better choices @ lunch. Thanks for the info...I'll be sure to check it out!

tinkerbell04
12-04-2007, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by dundeehunter
When at Rose & Crown and the stew says Geunis Stew...how much beer is made with the meat? Are these foods really made with alcohol and do I have to talk to a chef each time we dine?

I am only speculating on this answer, so I could be wrong. BUT I would think that the alcohol would have burned off leaving just the beer flavor. This is how most things cooked with alcohol are. To be sure though, I would see if someone here has a definite answer, if not, your best bet is to talk to the chef.

LibertyTreeGal
12-04-2007, 01:43 PM
My DD11 has Crohn's disease and can not have high fiber foods, nuts, fresh veggies, and absolutely no alcohol... When at Rose & Crown and the stew says Geunis Stew...how much beer is made with the meat? Are these foods really made with alcohol and do I have to talk to a chef each time we dine?

Her disease is a weird one where the good things like salads are not good for her digestive system...

Strmchsr has some forms available from Disney Dining that would help you out a lot. You can either PM him or me to get them (he sent them to me a few weeks back). Definitely contact the restaurants directly. They are used to these things and know how to deal with them.

TheMartellFamily
12-04-2007, 07:12 PM
How about other dietary concerns like. where do I find this out.

LibertyTreeGal
12-04-2007, 07:35 PM
Please PM me or Strmchsr (he's a moderator on this forum) and you can get the forms. Chris has tons more experience than I do, so he would be a better person to talk to (unless you have ADHD diet questions). If you want to start a thread about your particular concern, I'm sure there are people around with specific experience or who at least can steer you in the right direction. :)