PDA

View Full Version : Please share you thoughts on Mama Melrose!

ChewyStriker
12-03-2007, 10:58 AM
We'll be leaving on Dec. 13 to take my DS, 2 1/2, on a short three-night holiday to the World and have an ADR at Mama Melrose which we hope to follow with a trip through the Osbourne lights. This will be a first visit to the restaurant for us, so I was wondering what those who've been think. ADRs were slim pickings for us as my son has to eat dinner fairly early and we wanted to schedule around the holiday happenings we have scheduled in the parks.

Thanks!:mickey:

Jared
12-03-2007, 11:14 AM
My family had two good experiences at Mama Melrose's Ristorante Italiano, but the second was definitely worse.

I was incredibly disappointed to discover the bread and delicious sundried tomato pesto dipping oil became an appetizer on the menu, not a free part of the meal. Actually, the whole menu seemed smaller and less expansive within a few months, probably because of the Disney Dining Plan.

But the food is really not terrible, especially considering the consistently mediocre reviews posted on the boards. I've ordered the chicken parmigiana both times and was impressed by its tenderness and flavor. The warm chocolate truffle cake for dessert is divine.

Your son will definitely enjoy if the meal if likes basic Italian fare, and you probably won't be completely disappointed, either.

dolphinmickey9170
12-03-2007, 12:29 PM
In May we were there and nothing on the menu caught our attention. We asked if there was anyway they could make a pasta dish with chicken and alfredo sauce. Even though it wasn't something on the menu, the chef went out of his way to make this dish for my daughter and I. We loved it. The staff was friendly, the food was awesome!! I sure hope you enjoy it!

merlinmagic4
12-03-2007, 01:59 PM
We haven't been since 2005 but we really liked it! I thought the food was very good! I remember really liking the salad although I can't remember much else (besides the fact that we liked it).

KylesMom
12-03-2007, 02:39 PM
Although Mama's gets frequently mixed reviews on Intercot, we've never had a bad experience at this restaurant - and we usually have no less than two ADRs per trip scheduled. Although their menu has changed quite a bit since 2005, you can still find the same delicious flatbreads and entrees that they previously offered. I'm partial to the butcher tender steak, DH loves the sausage & peppers & DS loves their spaghetti. Don't forget their incredible home-made sangria! :wine:

jray21
12-03-2007, 02:44 PM
I've also never had a bad meal there. I really enjoy it and like to try new things. It definitely beats counter service IMHO.:sick::D

MississippiDisneyFreak
12-03-2007, 03:56 PM
We'll be leaving on Dec. 13 to take my DS, 2 1/2, on a short three-night holiday to the World and have an ADR at Mama Melrose which we hope to follow with a trip through the Osbourne lights. This will be a first visit to the restaurant for us, so I was wondering what those who've been think. ADRs were slim pickings for us as my son has to eat dinner fairly early and we wanted to schedule around the holiday happenings we have scheduled in the parks.

Thanks!:mickey: :blush: We've only been once and it was Christmas 2005. None of us really cared for it. One person had Chicken Parmesan and said it was just okay. The rest of us had the flatbread pizzas. I had the four cheese which had a weird taste to it.:( No one cared for the flatbread actually. No one ordered appetizers or desserts, so can't comment on those. I have heard their desserts are pretty good. I am always reluctant to give a bad review because sometimes they just have an off day and that was two years ago. We are going to try Tony's at MK our next trip and they get a lot of negatives too, but we'll try them all once.

prttynpnk
12-03-2007, 04:36 PM
We ate there in october and found the food and service great.
If I was going to complain about something and I'm really picking here- the music was on a tape loop was too short, so we listened to more Randy Newman than I think should be legally allowed!
But thats not going to keep me from those breadsticks and that dessert menu!!

JerseyMouse
12-03-2007, 04:40 PM
Other than no complimentary bread with the meal...:confused:, we really enjoy Mama's.

Tigerinvestigator
12-03-2007, 09:03 PM
My DW and I ate there on our honeymoon back in 1995 and then again a few more times during the 1990's and always loved it. Then we had a not so good meal in 2000 and stayed away until this past May 2007. We really had a good meal and are planning to go back. The atmosphere is great and seems less hectic than some of the other places we eat.:thumbsup:

McCloytrio
12-04-2007, 12:36 AM
I copied this from my trip report in the other section.

We had dinner at Mama Melrose's and IMO it was just ok, but my mom & Kerry loved it.
We ordered our appetizers.
Artisan Breads and Spreads - Freshly baked breads served with an arugula and chive pesto, sun-dried tomato, roasted vegetable, and roasted garlic spreads. - $5.99
Crispy Calamari - Topped with peppers and onions, served with a side spicy marinara sauce. - $7.99
Mozzarella and Tomatoes - Served with marinated sweet onions, balsamic drizzle, extra virgin olive oil, and fresh sweet basil. - $6.99 & Liam had the Soup of the Day which was Creamed Pumpkin - $5.49 for our entrees
I had the Oven-baked Chicken alla Parmigiana - Served over spaghetti. -$16.49, mom & Kerry both had the Wood-grilled Chicken - Tossed with pipette pasta, artichokes, peas, and roasted red peppers, in a basil four-cheese cream sauce. With shrimp $19.99 - $17.99
& Liam had a cheese pizza. $7.49 for dessert
we all shared
Honey-hazelnut & ricotta cheesecake. $5.99
Tiramisu - $5.99
Warm Chocolate Truffle Cake $5.69

Our meal was good; but nothing to brag about. I found the sauce on the Chicken Parmigiana tasted like it came from a can. It had that 'tin' metallic taste to it. I sprinkled a bit a sugar & it cut it a bit.

Polynesian Dweller
12-04-2007, 09:23 AM
We have always enjoyed it and the food has been fine. We have never understood why some people don't like it because its always good for us. The one change this year we didn't like was the removal of complimentary bread. Don't understand that one.

DawsonAR
12-04-2007, 01:55 PM
We ate there one time and the food was pretty good and service was OK. There wasn't anything to complain about but it just isn't a favorite of mine.

ibelieveindisneymagic
12-04-2007, 09:22 PM
We didn't love Mama Melrose :(

We ate their during our last trip, and were less than impressed, the service was only so-so, the food the same, nothing outstanding, and nothing worth going back for.

It wasn't horrible, but wasn't great either.

Natazu
12-05-2007, 02:24 AM
I can say positive things about the flatbreads and the soups. They don't have an entree I really care for. Rachel likes the Tiramisu. I haven't tried it. Personally, I like my espresso in a cup and my lady fingers soaked in chocolate.

Dragongirlx
12-05-2007, 06:48 AM
My twin sister and I love mama melroses.

we have been their three times and never had a bad experience.

If they have it order the calamari - -it was the best I have ever tasted:thumbsup:

Stickey
12-05-2007, 12:36 PM
We have eaten at Mama Melrose's three times.
It has been good-excellent. Our most recent visit was 9/07, the food was very good and the deserts were great.