PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Holiday Song!

TikiGoddess
12-01-2007, 08:35 PM
Okay, it's December 1st and time to talk about the important stuff.

What's your favorite holiday song?

And for fun, try to narrow it down to ONE. :D

I'm going to go a little long here, indulge me. Mine has to be 'Silent Night'. It must be one of the most beautifully written pieces of music ever. And it captures the true meaning and simplicity of the holiday. I will forever remember singing it with my family at candlelight Christmas eve services. My mom and I would stand together and one look at each other and we would start tearing up. I'm singing it in a concert tomorrow with a choir that I belong to and will be thinking of her (and trying to keep it together -- I'm in the front row and am supposed to be leading the congregation!).

TikiG

NotaGeek
12-01-2007, 10:35 PM
My favorite Christmas Song is Mele Kalikemaka, the Hawaiian Christmas song! If you haven't ever heard it, look for the Jimmy Buffet version. It always puts me in the holiday mood! :santa:

My second favorite is I'll Be Home for Christmas. Tears tears tears!

Disney-lovin' Dutchman
12-02-2007, 06:13 AM
I don't celebrate Christmas as a religion, but I LOVE it! I think my favorite is "Have yourself a merry little christmas" by Sinatra..I can just see the burning fire, the christmas tree, the presents! :mickey:

RedheadWriter
12-02-2007, 07:41 AM
Lou Monte's "Dominick the Donkey"
:horse: <---ok, not a donkey, but close!
My next favorite is "Santa Baby" by Eartha Kitt :santa2:followed by Sleigh Ride" :sleigh:
Rachel

Melanie
12-02-2007, 08:52 AM
I say it every year - Do You Hear What I Hear, the Bing Crosby version. So powerful!

ChipnDaleGal
12-02-2007, 10:15 AM
Mine would have to be Holly Jolly Christmas by Burl Ives. My mom loves Christmas music and he is one of her favorites. Between that and watching Rudolph on TV every year as a kid, I just associate the warmth and happiness of the season with his warm and rich voice.

Davyjones
12-02-2007, 01:49 PM
My favorite Holiday song is Harry Connick Jr.'s "Ave Maria". Beautiful! I never get tired of hearing it!

2nd favorite: A tie! That Alvin and the Chipmunks one. Not sure what the name is. Maybe "Christmastime is here". Tied with the song from "How the Grinch Stole Christmas"; the "You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch" one. :)

citizensnoopy
12-03-2007, 01:57 AM
My favorite is "Sleigh Ride" --- I've collected over 30 versions of it from iTunes! :blush:

DisneyDudet
12-03-2007, 05:07 AM
My favorite Christmas Song is Mele Kalikemaka, the Hawaiian Christmas song! If you haven't ever heard it, look for the Jimmy Buffet version. It always puts me in the holiday mood! :santa:

My second favorite is I'll Be Home for Christmas. Tears tears tears!

I think the Bing Crosby version is WAY better!

Maybe I'm biased b/c Bing Crosby is my favorite singer!

Jingle Bells. Almost any version. Apparently, it was the first song I ever learned as a child.

IloveJack
12-03-2007, 08:19 AM
Carol of the Bells. I have about 10 different versions on my iPod, but I think the accapela version is my favorite.
:deer: :sleigh:
Secondly, and one I'm sure most of you don't hear very often is Tennessee Christmas. I yelled at dh for changing the station, yesterday, while it was on. :blush:

:santa3:

Jenemmy
12-03-2007, 08:22 AM
O Holy Night -- simply gorgeous. When I heard the Michael Crawford version of it, I thought I had died and gone to heaven!! I am a huge Phantom fan -- and although it was a bit odd to hear "the Phantom" singing about Christ (LOL) I got past that and lost in his beautiful voice!!

goofysbabe
12-03-2007, 08:44 AM
Sleigh Ride sung by Ella Fitzgerald!! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that song!!!!!!

kaylamag
12-03-2007, 08:57 AM
Judy Garland's Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas!

Momof2boys
12-03-2007, 10:33 AM
I absolutely hate the cold, winter, and snow . . . but my favorite holiday song is Winter Wonderland. :snowball:

And a close second is Kenny Chesney's All I Want For Christmas is a Real Good Tan :vacation:

Ian
12-03-2007, 11:25 AM
This is one of the rare times when I have no problem narrowing it down to just one choice ...

O' Come All Ye Faithful is far and away my favorite Christmas song.

Crystal Palace
12-03-2007, 11:46 AM
Okay...if I only can pick one...it would have to be "Sleigh Ride" sung by Johnny Mathis. It's very nostalgic for me. :snowman::santa2::tree:

prprincess
12-03-2007, 01:48 PM
I have about 4 favorites, but if I have to narrow it down to one, I'll say Celebrate Me Home by Kenny Loggins. It reminds me when I was living on the West Coast, far from my family, and wanting to just be home with them for the holidays.

Jeff
12-03-2007, 02:20 PM
I love Christmas music!!!!!:thumbsup: I've been listening to it for weeks now. Ipod, the greatest invention ever!

Right now, I would say my favorite is:

Silent Night - the Stevie Nicks version

Mackflava99
12-03-2007, 02:42 PM
We always like a mix of :
Classics:White Christmas- Bing Crosby
Jingle Bells - Jim Nabors ( he really does a great job)
I saw mommy kissing Santa claus
Pop
Feliz navidad by jose feliciano
Brady Bunch and Partridge family Christmas album
And so this is christmas-John Lennon
Fun...
Christmas in Hollis- Run DMC
Christmas Rappin by Kurtis Blow:mickey:

TheDuckRocks
12-03-2007, 05:08 PM
I love, love, love Christmas music, but if I had to chose only one it would have to be "O Holy Night". Always loved singing the high notes when I was younger and in better voice, still sing along but the notes are not as pure. My favorite version of it is by Willie K, a Hawaiian singer with a beautiful voice.
The only Christmas song I just can't stand is "The Little Drummer Boy". I don't know why but I just hate that song.

jennbunn
12-04-2007, 01:07 AM
it's a tie between o holy night and christmas shoes. both songs are just sooo special to my family.

NJDad
12-04-2007, 06:25 AM
From the Edison Media Research on most popular Xmas songs among a selected group of women who 'like or love' Christmas tunes:

1. Nat King Cole/The Christmas Song
2. Burl Ives/A Holly Jolly Christmas
3. Celine Dion/O Holy Night
4. Bobby Helms/Jingle Bell Rock
5. John Lennon/Happy Xmas (War Is Over)
6. Johnny Mathis/"It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas"
7. Brenda Lee/"Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree"
8. Harry Simeone Chorale/"The Little Drummer Boy"
9. Dean Martin/"Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!"
10 Carpenters/ "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas"

I personally can't stand "Drummer" by anyone. And I'll take many other versions of #10 by other artists, but the rest are pretty big in our house.

disneydrmr
12-04-2007, 10:09 AM
"Mary, Did you know? " is the one that I would pick! I love Mark Lowry singing it.. but ALL versions touch my spirit and speak of the meaning of Christmas!

Choosing a 'fun' song I LOVE LOVE LOVE "I want a Hippopatamous for Christmas" I always blast my radio and sing along when this one is played! Just such a silly song...

And add me to the Bing Crosby fan list.. I love his Christmas music! Call it nostalgia cause I grew up listening to it every Christmas season growing up...also Burl Ives....And Ruth Lyons... sometimes for me it's more the 'voice' singing the song than the song itself.. takes me back to those wonderful childhood memories..

Hammer
12-04-2007, 01:20 PM
"O Holy Night" is my favorite Christmas song, but I'm picky on whose version I like (I'm the same way about Ave Maria). I prefer a deeper voice singing it, so I am not a big fan of Celine Dion's version. I like Josh Groban's version currently and it is the version in my Ipod. I want that song to wash over me and fill me up (if that makes any sense to anyone).

Jenemmy
12-04-2007, 02:39 PM
"Mary, Did you know? " is the one that I would pick! I love Mark Lowry singing it.. but ALL versions touch my spirit and speak of the meaning of Christmas!

Oh gosh -- how could I forget that one!!! It absolutely tears me up -- but in a good way. When that bridge rolls around ..."The blind will see, the deaf will hear, the dead will live again....The lame will leap, the dumb will speak, the praises of the Lamb"...it absolutely kills me! Having a special needs kiddo, that song just reminds me that some day he will be whole and without the burdens he has now. Oh poo -- I'm not even listening to it and it is tearing me up -- LOL!

IloveDisney71
12-04-2007, 09:43 PM
I LOVE the Christmas Shoes song. I cry every time I hear it. It just reminds me to slow down and really think about the meaning of Christmas.
I also love Do You Hear What I Hear - that's my favorite traditional song.

conorsmom2000
12-04-2007, 10:36 PM
I love Christmas music so it's hard to narrow it down - I love anything by Trans Siberian Orchestra, but I especially love "Perfect Christmas Night" from the Whoville Medley (from the Grinch, Jim Carey version). I also just love "O Holy Night", just about any version gives me chills. Another favorite is not really just Christmas, but it's played most often now is "Baby, it's cold outside". And last, I have to mention "Snoopy's Christmas" (Snoopy vs. the Red Baron) - I've loved that since I was a kid! :thumbsup: :mickey:

alphamommy
12-05-2007, 02:00 PM
I don't know if I can narrow it down to one. I have different songs that I love for different reasons:

Spiritual:
Hark! The Herald Angels Sing (from "A Charlie Brown Christmas")
O Come, All Ye Faithful
Silent Night (for some reason, this always makes me cry)

Modern Classic:
White Christmas by Bing Crosby (I still miss his specials)
The Christmas Song by Nat King Cole
Silver Bells
Sleigh Ride (there's a version we played in high school that has a jazzy section toward the end - I think The Boston Pops recorded it)

Fun:
Walkin' 'Round in Women's Underwear (yes, I know, it's horrible, but it always makes me laugh)
The Chipmunk Song
Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer

If I had to pick just one, I'd probably go with White Christmas, but I love almost all Christmas songs!

Aggie97
12-05-2007, 06:59 PM
I just love Christmas music - I'm afraid I can't narrow it down to one favorite song! :tree:

Spiritual
O Holy Night - Nat King Cole
Panis Angelicus - The Vienna Choir Boys w/ Placido Domingo
Stille Nacht/Silent Night - The Vienna Choir Boys

Classics
The Christmas Song - Nat King Cole
White Christmas - Bing Crosby
The Christmas Waltz - Frank Sinatra
Sleigh Ride - Arthur Fiedler & The Boston Pops or Johnny Mathis
Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas - Judy Garland

Fun
Christmas Time is Here - Vince Guaraldi Trio (from "A Charlie Brown Christmas")
The Chipmunks Song (Christmas Don't Be Late)
Twelve Days of Christmas - John Denver & The Muppets
Snow - Bing Crosby, Rosemary Clooney, etc. (from "White Christmas")