PDA

View Full Version : Is it a total loss?

Melanie
11-29-2007, 05:15 PM
I'm not very happy right now. :mad:

We have a pre-lit Christmas tree. My cat decided to bite the cord in half right where it plugs into the wall. The lights are gone, and I'm thinking it's a total loss. Is there any way to fix it? :(

offwego
11-29-2007, 05:24 PM

We have a pre-lit Christmas tree. My cat decided to bite the cord in half right where it plugs into the wall. The lights are gone, and I'm thinking it's a total loss. Is there any way to fix it? :(

I'm guessing that in theory you could cut above the chewed bits and strip the wires and reattach this but I'd also think you'd need to buy the stuff at a hardware store to do it.(the new plug etc) (and I'm not sure how).

But I'm sorry it happened to you. :(

laprana
11-29-2007, 05:30 PM
Ahhhh, I take it your cat has never seen National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation!;)

Like offwego said, you should be able to reattach the wires to a new plug and make the tree good as new. I'd go to your local hardware store and ask someone in the electrical department about the best way to do it, but I'm pretty sure it can be done! Don't lose hope yet!! :thumbsup:

caryrae
11-29-2007, 05:58 PM
You should just be able to splice in a new plug to get it to work again. I have put new plug on my extension cord for work a few times. My FIL also replaces plugs on strings of lights many times. He just uses a plug from a older set of lights and cuts the plug off.

PirateLover
11-29-2007, 06:07 PM
Just to ditto everyone else, it should be able to be fixed. But I wouldn't try to do it on my own! I might see if I could contact an electrician or help from a hardware store. Good luck, and bad kitty! We had a rabbit that used to chew wires... she usually stayed away from the christmas lights though. Too busy eating the needles from the tree.:ack:

Jeff
11-29-2007, 06:20 PM
I agree with the others Mel. This can be fixed fairly easy. If the original plug does not have a screw to take out so it comes apart you can get replacement plugs at any hardware or walmart type stores. Strip the wires and connect to the new plug, screw the plug back together and it should be good. It's not a hard fix.

Melanie
11-29-2007, 06:26 PM
Okay, thanks for the advice guys! :notworth: I'm so happy to know it can probably be fixed.

Problem is, being here in Okinawa, there are no hardware stores or WalMart type places. I mean, they have them, but everything is Japanese. Their plugs and such are different than ours. Maybe, just maybe, we can find something at the base exchange. :unsure:

Thanks again everyone. :thumbsup:

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
11-29-2007, 07:23 PM
Is there any way to fix it? :(Everybody responded regarding the tree...I thought you were talking about the cat!

Just kidding, hope you can find what you need.

Dixie Springs
11-29-2007, 07:30 PM
Concur with the fixes, but please be careful - that's 110 volts AC.

crazypoohbear
11-29-2007, 08:28 PM
Can you ask one of the soldiers on base for help. In the Army anything can be fixed with a little spit and polish :blush:

I still envy you being in Okinawa, I know it very hard for you being away from everything here but that is still my favorite place growing up!

IloveDisney71
11-29-2007, 08:32 PM
Good luck with your tree!
Our cat chewed through my hedge clipper battery recharger cord and two computer mouse cords! Bad kitties - but you gotta love them!:mickey:

MsMin
11-29-2007, 09:40 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your tree. I know I've fixed cords on lamps with a kit. Some replacement ends open up and snap on the wire making it a quick easy fix. I would hope you can find them on the base.
I wanted to mention since we are talking about pre-lit trees. :blush: I had trouble with my tree this year. It's 4 years old and for the first time some branches didn't work and I found this tool that was too good to be true at Lowe's. I thought it was just one of those gimmick things that advertise that it works but doesn't. It's called the light keeper pro and it was incredible. So if your problems are greater than just the plug it could be worth it. If it's a bulb problem it sends an elec. current through and lights the string and you just replace the bad bulb. This is even if the string goes out w/ 1 bad bulb. You plug any open socket into the (what looks like a gun) and it lights the string. If that doesn't work you hold down the trigger and it beeps until there is a break in the wiring. So with just sweeping this down the wire you can find the damaged spot. It saves hours of searching for the bad spot and saved my tree. Just wanted to share that info since we are talking about pre-lit trees.
I know if someone sent you one it may be next Christmas before you could get it but as you may be able to tell I was amazed with this little gadget. :tree:
Goodluck w/ your tree...

SgtTigger
11-29-2007, 10:26 PM

Mel not sure about fixing it but I have a cat that I believe is going to do the same thing before Christmas is over......... Let me know if you find a way to get the cat to stop biting the wire...... Yes I have seen Christmas Vacation but I really don't want the cat to end up like that...........

Water bottle has not helped
News paper has not helped.......

:cop: :tigger:

Melanie
11-29-2007, 10:36 PM
Water bottle has not helped

Water bottle hasn't helped us either. :unsure:

Melanie
11-29-2007, 11:24 PM
Okay, hubby came home for lunch and says he can probably fix it. Whew! I was just mad and panicked when I posted this. I do love my cats, but they've broken so many things. :(

ChipnDaleGal
11-30-2007, 08:40 AM
Okay, hubby came home for lunch and says he can probably fix it. Whew! I was just mad and panicked when I posted this. I do love my cats, but they've broken so many things. :(

They are just naughty little furry children when they have that much energy and curiousity. I am glad that James thinks he can fix it for you Mel.

MNNHFLTX
11-30-2007, 12:47 PM
Water bottle hasn't helped us either. :unsure:Remember the Glade aerosol spray technique I used a couple of years ago, Mel? That stopped Oddball from bothering either the cords or the tree. And last year I only had to spray it a couple of times when we first put the tree up to remind him of the lesson. If you do try it, the citrusy scents seem to work better.

conorsmom2000
11-30-2007, 04:29 PM

Mel, I was just going to post and say that Mike is an electrician and I'd get him to post exact instructions on how to do this, but now I see you should be all set! But, don't hesitate to let me know if you need any help - Mike's happy to answer any questions!! :thumbsup:

Melanie
12-01-2007, 12:25 AM
Thanks Jen, but all fixed. Yay! :tree:

And Beth, I'm gonna try the aerosol trick. :thumbsup:

kakn7294
12-01-2007, 01:07 AM
Melanie, I don't know how easily you can get your hands on pet supplies, but there are products that are animal safe that prevent them from biting and chewing. Petsmart has one online called "bitter cherry spray". You can also wrap the cord in electrical tape with the sticky side out or use something like fish-tank tubing to cover wires (the tubing has to be carefully split open for the wire to be placed inside). There are also a variety of repellent sprays that are supposed to keep them away based on smell (like the citrus spray). I'm glad James was able to fix your tree. Hopefully you can find a way to keep the cat away! I threatened mine that he would have to go live with FIL's wife - Gypsy hates her (funny thing is, I think he understood because he leave the tree alone now!).

MsMin
12-01-2007, 12:24 PM
My oldest dog, Chloe loved to chew wires, computer cables etc. We used the spray, several in fact (the apple bitter was one) and she just licked it off then when on with the chewing. Our vet recommended 8 parts water and 1 tabasco. She licked that off too and chewed. Maybe she's part chihuahua.She also recommend providing many chewies and scatter them all over. They say ammonia works too if you make a solution mixed w/ water and wipe it on. It's supposed to make them think another animal has relieved himself there :blush: and deter the chewing but I would use that as a last resort.
The risk of shock and copper wire in the digestive track can be deadly. :tree:

EPCOT84
12-01-2007, 02:38 PM
Everybody responded regarding the tree...I thought you were talking about the cat!

:rotfl: