PDA

View Full Version : Why is the Magic Kingdom closing @ 7:00 PM several Fridays in May 08???

mfeliciano
11-29-2007, 01:21 PM
:confused:

I was checking the operation hours for MK for May 08 and noticed that on 3 consecutive Fridays (5/2, 5/9, 5/16) the park is open only from 9-7. Also 5/6, 5/7, 5/26, 5/21, and 5/31. Does anyone know what is happening those days? Even toward the last week of May, memorial weekend I found those hours. I called disney and asked and the lady did not have anything specific but mentioned grad night happens on May. I've benn to WDW for the past 2 yrs. for the same week on may and never heard of the park closing early during the last 2 weeks of May! Could it be Pirates and princess in may?? Someone please clarify this mystery!

DizneyRox
11-29-2007, 01:23 PM
Could be a number of things...

Grad Nights, Pirate & Princess Party, or even some corporate gigs that have reserved the park for themselves.

ibelieveindisneymagic
11-29-2007, 02:45 PM
Pirate and Princess party...at least for some of the nights.

I'm going May 10 - 17 and the CM confirmed the P&P party, although tickets aren't on sale yet :(

BriarRose0708
11-29-2007, 03:11 PM
I was wondering that myself.

I'm waiting for dates to come available, but is it possible the Pirate and Princess Party will extend into June?

Piglet822
11-29-2007, 03:21 PM
I don't know if one has to do with the other but our schools are getting out later than they did in years past. The first week of June instead of the third week of May.
I'm wondering if Grad Nite at the MK has a revised schedule because of this.

WDWfanatic742
11-29-2007, 03:33 PM
Grad Night this year at the Magic Kingdom is April 18, 19 and April 25, 26. I know because I am going this year :cool:

Carol
11-29-2007, 04:07 PM
When in doubt check info central. :thumbsup:

Walt Disney World Events (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/calendar/events.asp#May_Events)

Pirates & Princess Event
Magic Kingdom
May 2, 9, 16, 26, 31

SignguyTom
11-29-2007, 04:18 PM
:mad: OK...I gotta post a gripe about Disney closing the park early in order to charge another admission for the P&P party. It would be different if it was a $5 or $10 ticket, but it's, what...$30 or more..??!! Give me a break!! They should do it on a Tues. AFTER NORMAL HOURS. This seems to me to be the most blatant example of pure greed I have ever seen.

Sorry. Done now...:blush:

DizneyRox
11-29-2007, 04:20 PM
... This seems to me to be the most blatant example of pure greed I have ever seen. ...
Seems? It IS, pure and simple...

GrumpyFan
11-29-2007, 06:56 PM
This seems to me to be the most blatant example of pure greed I have ever seen.

You're not alone in your gripe! And, many agree, it is yet another way for Disney to fleece their guests of every last bit of money they bring on vacation. Regardless of whether WE like it or not, unforturnately these kinds of events are probably here to stay though.

laward32
11-29-2007, 07:10 PM
But we keep buying the tickets!!! If they didn't sell as many they probably would stop having them or lower the prices. (Maybe):mickey: Sorry had to add to the gripe.

stitch34
11-29-2007, 07:31 PM
:mad: OK...I gotta post a gripe about Disney closing the park early in order to charge another admission for the P&P party. It would be different if it was a $5 or $10 ticket, but it's, what...$30 or more..??!! Give me a break!! They should do it on a Tues. AFTER NORMAL HOURS. This seems to me to be the most blatant example of pure greed I have ever seen.

Sorry. Done now...:blush:

I personally am looking forward to attending the Pirates and Princess Party and am glad they extended it into May. I have heard great things!!!:mickey: However, I can agree that I found it odd that they are held on Friday nights instead of a night during the week because I assume Friday nights are more crowded and they will be closing to those crowds unless an additional ticket is bought.

SignguyTom
11-29-2007, 08:04 PM
I personally am looking forward to attending the Pirates and Princess Party and am glad they extended it into May. I have heard great things!!!:mickey: However, I can agree that I found it odd that they are held on Friday nights instead of a night during the week because I assume Friday nights are more crowded and they will be closing to those crowds unless an additional ticket is bought.

I'm sure it's a blast. My point is that they short-change MOST of their guests that have traveled possibly thousands of miles for maybe a once-in-a-lifetime trip. I think they should scale it down and section off part of the park (Tom Sawyer Island?) or hold it outside of regular park hours. Admittedly, I have never attended a ticketed event like this at WDW, but in 1998 they had an E-Ticket night for WDW resort guests. It cost 10 bucks per person and they had the major attractions open. But they did it after hours. It was late by the time we were done, and hungry because the only food available was at some place selling turkey legs, but it was a great time. I felt like it was a bonus then - even for the extra $$$. I have a party of 7 going in May, and I feel a little cheated that the park is closing early so Disney can rake in a few more bucks. It would be poetic justice if NOBODY that was 'kicked out' early bought a thing on the way out. You know - make a little statement... It'll never happen, but WDW is where dreams come true...:mickey:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
11-30-2007, 04:56 AM
It is after hours. The park closes at 7pm. That's when the event starts. So it starts when the park is closed. You can always go to another park instead and go the next day to MK - when it's open until 11. Or the day before...when it's also open until 11.

In fact, the special event only occur really 1-3x a week. That leaves another 4-6 days of regular operating hours.

As for nobody buying a thing as they leave- they've already spent the admission money, plus food, plus drinks, plus other souvinEars and 90% of the time they either go to another park or to DTD....and shop. Disney is one company and therefore the money all goes to the same place, regardless of where you spend it on property.

Plus we don't even let them into the shops anyways. We stop letting Guests inside the shops to purchase at 7:15 (7pm exact for smaller shops). The object is to make those willing to pay the extra money for a benefit get their monies worth. Because if you paid to go the event and saw people there who weren't supposed to be, you'd get angry/annoyed too.

SignguyTom
11-30-2007, 09:16 AM
It is after hours. The park closes at 7pm. That's when the event starts. So it starts when the park is closed. You can always go to another park instead and go the next day to MK - when it's open until 11. Or the day before...when it's also open until 11.

In fact, the special event only occur really 1-3x a week. That leaves another 4-6 days of regular operating hours.

As for nobody buying a thing as they leave- they've already spent the admission money, plus food, plus drinks, plus other souvinEars and 90% of the time they either go to another park or to DTD....and shop. Disney is one company and therefore the money all goes to the same place, regardless of where you spend it on property.

Plus we don't even let them into the shops anyways. We stop letting Guests inside the shops to purchase at 7:15 (7pm exact for smaller shops). The object is to make those willing to pay the extra money for a benefit get their monies worth. Because if you paid to go the event and saw people there who weren't supposed to be, you'd get angry/annoyed too.

So, you're saying it normally closes at 7 on a Friday? No. It closes early to charge again to have a party.

This is a "benefit" for those who pay again coming at the expense of those who don't.

big blue and hairy
11-30-2007, 09:30 AM
I see what you're saying about it being annoying, but, I have to agree with Cap'n Jess. Go to another park that day if you don't have a park hopper. If you do have a park hopper....welll....

Look at it this way...if WDW is making more money on the party, it may slow ticket price increases, or at least add to the bottom line that will add to improvements in the park.

:sulley:

mfeliciano
11-30-2007, 10:06 AM
I thank all of you for the info. I figured probably Pirates and Princess would be extended due to popular demand. I for one attended P&P March 07 and LOVED it! However I do think it seems unfair for those visiting during the month of May to have to pay extra to be longer at MK, after all MK is the park where most of the magic takes place. I am still quite dissapointed with the dining plan changes as it will cost us more to go this year. I may have to force myself into cutting back the amount of times we visit disney and start looking at other destinations. I am a Disney Junkie! Is there a rehab program for disneyholics???

BriarRose0708
12-03-2007, 12:34 PM
The June hours have been released for the MK, and June 4 is listed as closing at 7pm. It is the only night the entire month the park is listed as closing early, so unless another event or private function has reserved it, could it be safe to say there is a Party that night? We'll be arriving that day and I would love to catch this Party since the NSSHP was such a blast!

LudwigVonDrake
12-03-2007, 05:03 PM
My guess would be Grad Nights?

CaptainJessicaSparrow
12-04-2007, 12:07 AM
Grad Nites are the last weekend in April and the first weekend in May.

Like I sai before, go to MK on a different day if you don't want to go to the party. There are 3 other parks, all with later hours, and the days there isn't a party at MK, it's open later.

Here's what I would do...let's say 5 day trip, and day 3 is a party night. So Day one - Epcot, day two - MK, day three - MGM, day four - AK, day five - MK again?

And there are several times the park closes at 7 without it being a party night. Several........and yes, sometime on the weekends. It all depends on the crowds and seasons. May is still a slower season - school vacations start hitting us harder in June rather than May.

We are facing this problem this week - Wednesday is the only day where MK is open later - Thurs and Friday are party nights. So I most likely will be at MK on Wed, MGM/AK on Thurs and Epcot on Fri.

Carol
12-04-2007, 07:22 AM
No. It has nothing to do with Grad Nite. If you follow the link given several times in this thread - you'll see all Grad Nites fall in April next year.

I agree. If you don't want to go to the party - don't. They are very popular - so someone out there really enjoys them.

Regardless - it really isn't a big deal. It's only a matter of a couple of hours a few days during the month. All of the other parks have their basic hours - as does the Magic Kingdom the other 26 days.

CaptainSad
12-04-2007, 08:10 AM
Why is it that people still complain about this. My biggest gripe is paying for parking. I am coming down December 16th-23rd. I have tickets for MVMCP on the 18th and 21st. I don't care if the MK closes at 7 on those nights. I plan on doing something else those day's. There is so much to do at WDW. They do have other parks you know. Before you go down to visit check this site or Disney's and make your plans that way. Chill out.

Feb 83 Off-site
Jun 83 Contemporary
Mar 84 Contemporary
MAY 86 Contemporary
Apr 87 CRB
Mar 89 Off-site
Apr 91 CRB
Jun 92 CRB
May 94 CRB
Aug 96 Dixie Landings
Apr 97 Dixie Landings
Mar 00 Riverside
Apr 02 Riverside
Oct 04 Off-site
Dec 07 Off-site
May 08 Bonnet Creek (on-site)

CaptainJessicaSparrow
12-04-2007, 12:15 PM
Why is it that people still complain about this. My biggest gripe is paying for parking. I am coming down December 16th-23rd. I have tickets for MVMCP on the 18th and 21st. I don't care if the MK closes at 7 on those nights. I plan on doing something else those day's. There is so much to do at WDW. They do have other parks you know. Before you go down to visit check this site or Disney's and make your plans that way. Chill out.

Here here! :beer:

SurferStitch
12-04-2007, 12:22 PM
I have no problem with Disney closing down MK early several nights each month for hard ticket events. There is always plenty to do somewhere else.

I'm looking forward to going to the P&PP on May 9th. It will be our first time, and sounds like a lot of fun.

Besides...most once-in-a-lifetime trips are longer than one day, so those who don't want to go to the party can do a later night at MK on another night.

SignguyTom
12-04-2007, 12:33 PM
Honestly, I get it. Go to a different park. Already done.

I see the trend, though. It's headed toward these parties going on 3-4 days of every week of the year. It's only a matter of time before ALL the parks start closing early to charge an additional re-admission fee. Huge cash cow. Gonna be around for a while I'm sure.

CaptainSad
12-04-2007, 03:34 PM
I really don't think they would do that. It is only during off peak time's. I have been to MNSSHP and this is going to be my first for MVMCP. I have been down when they have had grad nights. I think they only have a few. MNSSHP has 20 and MVMCP has 19 day's. If you look at the park hours for those months, the MK closes at 7:00p.m anyway. I have been there when they close at 6:00 p.m. Do I wish they would stay open longer? Of course. But they have their reasons.

You think you don't like the hours.. Just think what I felt like when in April of 2002 I went and they were supposed to have E ticket nights. I booked because of this. I even remember the two day's. (16th &18th) That is when you paid an extra 10 bucks to stay after the park closed for 3 hours. When we got there they canceled those two nights I wanted to go. They gave no explanation to why. But I found something else to do.

Rich

joanna71985
12-04-2007, 03:38 PM
If they really are having them in May, then I am happy. I am just missing the first party in Jan, and would love to go again the end of May.

Nurse Kim
12-04-2007, 04:12 PM
This is happening a couple times on our trip in March. We debated whether to go or not but I know my girls would lvoe it so we are planning to go to AK that day and then attend the party that night. This way we feel like we got two things for one day even though the party is extra.

luvkatiebug
12-05-2007, 12:15 PM
We are going the last week of May, and I am just excited about the fact that they are having a P and P party while we are there for my 2 princesses! If you don't want to pay to stay late, then plan on going to another park that day! Enjoy!:mickey: