PDA

View Full Version : Best Friends PetCare Inc. to Become Operator of Kennels & Build Luxury Pet Hotel

Figment!
11-29-2007, 09:14 AM
The Walt Disney World resort has internally announced the following:
Beginning January 10, 2008, the Walt Disney World Resort will transition its kennel operations to an industry expert, Best Friends PetCare Inc. Best Friends is a national provider of pet hospitality in the United States, with 44 locations in 18 states.

Conversion of Walt Disney World Resort Kennels to Best Friends will occur in phases throughout the months of January and February 2008 with the anticipated transition schedule as follows:

1/10/08 - Transportation and Ticket Center and Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground Kennels

1/24/08 - Epcot Kennel

2/7/08 - Disney's Hollywood Studios and Disney's Animal Kingdom Kennels

Best Friends is also slated to build and operate a full-service, luxury pet "resort" at the Walt Disney World Resort. The one-of-a-kind pet facility is expected to open in mid-2009 and will be located on Bonnet Creek Parkway. The luxury pet "resort" will cater to park and resort Guests and will provide a full range of pet hospitality services. Note, with the addition of this facility, there are no plans to allow pets in Guest rooms at any of the Disney Resort Hotels with the exception of designated service animals.

For additional information on Best Friends PetCare Inc., please view their website at http://www.bestfriendspetcare.com

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
11-29-2007, 09:21 AM
That is great!! :thumbsup:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
11-29-2007, 12:13 PM

What a ridiculous waste of money.

Le sigh.....I can think of about 100 ways to use that money for better reasons...

magicman
11-29-2007, 12:26 PM
This operation is to be headed up by former NFL QB Michael Vick.:drummer:

mac badger
11-29-2007, 12:27 PM
i doubt it will be disney spending the money. i would think it would be the other company, best friends petcare

Scar
11-29-2007, 01:03 PM
What a ridiculous waste of money.On whose part?

If you mean Best Friends: If they think they can turn a profit, then it is an investment.

If you mean the customers: What do you care what they spend their money on?

DizneyFreak2002
11-29-2007, 07:16 PM
Let's see.. 5 star hotels aren't good enough for the rich anymore so Miami is building a 6 star hotel.. OK... and now a luxury hotel for ANIMALS??? Unreal.... Whatever....

CaptainJessicaSparrow
11-30-2007, 05:08 AM
On whose part?

If you mean Best Friends: If they think they can turn a profit, then it is an investment.

If you mean the customers: What do you care what they spend their money on?

I don't care what people spend their money on. What I am getting rather fed up with is this obsession with people treating their pets like royalty.

I have pets, I love them more than anything. I have bred pure pits before. I took the best care of them, and spoiled them to a certain point. I had a pet rabbit that was my baby. But a regular vet can give the same bath as the people in the pet spas can. They are still clean.

My dogs don't need painted nails. Or bows. Or doggie make-up and dyed fur. My dogs are content staying at home, they don't go everywhere with me. I go on vacation and the vet's kennel takes good care of both bunny and doggies when I can't find family or friends (which I usually use friends).

I don't think that Disney should be encouraging more Paris Hilton/Tinkerbells of the world. Dogs have become like the new fall fashion item - a must have accessory. And that is what is starting to really tick my clock.

So I apologize for not agreeing with this idea.

jrpersinger
11-30-2007, 07:08 AM
I actually think its a great idea... If and only if, this makes it so you don't have to go and walk your dog several times a day and they get more attention. Now, I would still go see my dogs daily, but having to go and walk them several times a day can get hard.

For us, its hard to find a good kennel. Or older dog gets seperation anxitey and hates being locked up in a crate or small cage. If this would give him room to roam, someone around to give him alittle more attention and lovies, we will be all over it.

On our last vacation, we actually paid my MIL to stay and sleep here so he wouldn't be lonely and we wouldn't have to board him.

Tygger7
11-30-2007, 08:25 AM
You know, the last time we were at WDW, I said to my husband, "I'm surprised Disney hasn't developed a 'pet resort' yet. Considering all the lengths they go to for guests, I can't believe this hasn't happened."

Personally, I think this is a great idea to give guests the choice of what level kennel they can send their pets to. I mean, there are different levels for hotel rooms, so why not let the guests choose the level of service they want for their pets.

Now I know some people have expressed strong opinions against a 'pet resort', but I think it's great that there will be more than one option now. Let me also add that I have 4 pugs, 3 of which were adopted through Pug Rescue. I'm extremely fortunate that my parents live with us, so we never have to deal with putting the pugs into a kennel. However, if I had to, I would choose a 'pet resort' over a traditional kennel. Why you ask?

Reason #1 - The needs of my dogs. Since 3 of my pugs have come from rescue, they have experience a lot of trauma in their past. One of my pugs is diabetic and requires special care, one is extremely jumpy and nevous, and one has 'separation anxiety' issues whenever I leave the house. They all need more attention that would be possible at a traditional kennel.

Reason #2 - Environment. The pet resorts offer a more 'home-like' environment. Several members of my family have used traditional kennels, one a stand-alone kennel, and one in a vet's office. Both of their dogs have come back with behavior issues related to their stays.

REASON #3 - Level of care. A friend of mine took her dog to a vet's kennel and THEY LOST IT. A few days after she returned home, the dog was found...dead. I've applied to work at a pet resort and the overall environment seems much better, and the people that work there seem to hold themselves to a much higher standard than the people I've experienced at traditional kennels. The overall experience seems much better and much less traumatic for the pets, and owners.

I think there's a misconception of what a 'pet resort' offers. Yes, they do offer the "foo-foo" grooming services, but more importantly they offer more 1:1 interaction with the pets in their care. Owner's can choose not to purchase the additional services, however I would pay to have my dogs receive a bath and basic grooming while there. I don't think taking your pets to a 'pet spa' makes you a Paris Hilton, or encourages people to treat their pets in that manner. Only you can decide what level of care is best for your pet and I think it's a great idea to offer this as an option.

And with that, I'll get off my :soapbox:

:pluto:

rnin02
11-30-2007, 04:48 PM
You know, the last time we were at WDW, I said to my husband, "I'm surprised Disney hasn't developed a 'pet resort' yet. Considering all the lengths they go to for guests, I can't believe this hasn't happened."

Personally, I think this is a great idea to give guests the choice of what level kennel they can send their pets to. I mean, there are different levels for hotel rooms, so why not let the guests choose the level of service they want for their pets.

Now I know some people have expressed strong opinions against a 'pet resort', but I think it's great that there will be more than one option now. Let me also add that I have 4 pugs, 3 of which were adopted through Pug Rescue. I'm extremely fortunate that my parents live with us, so we never have to deal with putting the pugs into a kennel. However, if I had to, I would choose a 'pet resort' over a traditional kennel. Why you ask?

Reason #1 - The needs of my dogs. Since 3 of my pugs have come from rescue, they have experience a lot of trauma in their past. One of my pugs is diabetic and requires special care, one is extremely jumpy and nevous, and one has 'separation anxiety' issues whenever I leave the house. They all need more attention that would be possible at a traditional kennel.

Reason #2 - Environment. The pet resorts offer a more 'home-like' environment. Several members of my family have used traditional kennels, one a stand-alone kennel, and one in a vet's office. Both of their dogs have come back with behavior issues related to their stays.

REASON #3 - Level of care. A friend of mine took her dog to a vet's kennel and THEY LOST IT. A few days after she returned home, the dog was found...dead. I've applied to work at a pet resort and the overall environment seems much better, and the people that work there seem to hold themselves to a much higher standard than the people I've experienced at traditional kennels. The overall experience seems much better and much less traumatic for the pets, and owners.

I think there's a misconception of what a 'pet resort' offers. Yes, they do offer the "foo-foo" grooming services, but more importantly they offer more 1:1 interaction with the pets in their care. Owner's can choose not to purchase the additional services, however I would pay to have my dogs receive a bath and basic grooming while there. I don't think taking your pets to a 'pet spa' makes you a Paris Hilton, or encourages people to treat their pets in that manner. Only you can decide what level of care is best for your pet and I think it's a great idea to offer this as an option.

And with that, I'll get off my :soapbox:

:pluto:

:thumbsup:

I totally agree...finding somewhere to board our dog or finding a petsitter is a huge challenge. My dog has separation anxiety, and it makes me uncomfortable to leave him for extended periods of time somewhere he won't got lots of "love". At the same time, I want to have a life, not be a crazy dog lady.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
11-30-2007, 07:41 PM
But a regular vet can give the same bath as the people in the pet spas can. They are still clean.

I just wanted to respectfully disagree with this point. Not to start a debate, though. :hands:

I am highly allergic to my Golden Retriever. To the point that if I pet or snuggle him I go into a full blown allergy and asthma attack.

In order to keep my fur baby, I have to have him shaved. Think Golden Lab look. ;) That helps with my allergies and I can give him the love he deserves.

Anyway, the first time I took him to my Vet's office to be shaved, the groomer there did an awful job. Poor Colby had small cuts and scrapes all over him from the groomer shaving too low. It was obvious this was not something they were used to do doing. Even after I questioned them on their ability to do it. They assured me all would be fine. I felt so bad. It took weeks for the sores to heal.

Fast forward to a couple of months later when he needed to be done again. I found a local pet spa here...The Canine Ranch of all things. ;)
I made the appointment. I was assured once again that they did this quite often and that they only have one dog in the grooming area at all times that services are being done. That was nice to hear since Colby gets very excited when there are new friends around. He is a very bulky 100 pound dog so, not easy to shave if you can imagine.

Long story short...They did an awesome job. Colby looked great. No injuries, no trauma to his Mom when I saw him. They were even able to do his teeth and nails...something even the Vet had a hard time doing. And, it was only $10 more then the Vet charged.

I have no problem at all with the pet spa we bring him too. It is not for any of the reasons most people associate with places like that. I don't paint my dog's nails or fur, etc. I have them groom my dog so he can stay a member of my family. I am 100% comfortable with their ability to take care of him. It is what they do.

I trust my Vet 100% with shots and medical issues. But, when it comes to bathing/grooming it is a "Pet Spa" all the way for us.

crazeedizneefinatic
12-01-2007, 12:24 AM
I have to agree it's about time Disney has "comfortable" kennels. On our last trip we read about the Disney kennels. Cramped cages and quite inhuman conditions IMHO. Dogs are not meant to be kept in small cages. Who wants to be stuck in a cage all day longing for their owner to walk them?? How depressing. Pet resorts are great! They give your dog the opportunity to socialize with other dogs and have fun. They have play classes during the day and special treats. Yes, I agree to a certain point some of the services are outrageous but what other way to pamper your family member and if you have the money why not? My experience with kennels in our area are cold, concrete floors and cages with just a few walks a day. I am sure they do not mistreat the animals but a pet resort they go out of their way to play and interact with your pet. Yes, most of the time it's a bit more money, but it's worth it for peace of mind. My dog never felt lonely or had seperation anxiety and she was with me all day long any other time. Yeah for Disney for finally wising up and allowing the four legged guests have some fun too!

Donald A
12-01-2007, 09:25 AM
I have heard that the Disney Kennels are not really that great. By our choice, my wife and I have 7 animals. We like them better than most people. We were lucky to find a pet sitting company and leave them at home. There are a lot of animal lovers out there and I am quite frankly surprised Disney didn't do more to tap into this market. Even now it appears Disney is going to contract it out. I mean a top vacation destination and you have to walk your own dog at the kennel :confused:

Figment!
12-03-2007, 09:10 PM
:dog: Info Update:cat:

New Prices and Polices per the transition have been added to the Walt Disney World Kennels (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/pets/default.asp) section of INTERCOT info Central.

John
12-03-2007, 10:19 PM
I agree - as far as kennels go, the ones at Disney were sub par - and that has nothing to do with treating your dog fru fru. The facilities are in need of upgrade... what better way to improve things than bring in a company that focuses on pets - and let disney focus on the people business.

I honestly don't understand what the complaints and hubub are here.

We have 3 shelties of our own and one foster dog. I don't paint any of their nails but believe in giving them a nice life. Nothing super fancy or anything like that - but a nice place to be boarded while we are away. Boarding is STRESSFUL on dogs... you get them out of their comfort zone, so anything that helps keep them less stressed and a little bit comfortable (in an otherwise uncomfortable situation for them) I am all for.

Lets keep this discussion on track, on point and civilized ok?

4myprincesses
12-04-2007, 11:59 AM
I agree that it is time Disney offered something more. We can not leave out Shih-Tzu in a crate kennel. She is a rescued dog, only has three legs and is very used to all day human interaction (four little girls, 'nuff said.) We left her once at a crate place and she went CRAZY would not eat, would not drink, scratched and barked all the time. She NEVER barks, as in I've heard her bark 6 times since we got her three eyars ago...she just is a happy, shy little thing that prefers a lap to sit on.

We've never taken her on vacation as it is hard to find hotels that are pet friendly let alone nice kennels to leave her at when we go to places that aren't pet friendly. Sure I could leave her at home with a friend so long as I have a friend willing, I won't drug her so she can spend a week in a cage at a cost not much off from a nice kennel like these places offer, now I have the option of her coming along. I also know if we have a grooming issue while there that there is a place to go. With their structure Shih-Tzu's have to be maintained around their eyes and in their ears. If your dogs are able to vet-kennel GREAT! I know it would be easier and I would prefer it. But I guess I just love the our "three-legged" family member enough to meet her needs, not mine.

Sorry other's think I'd be wasting my money or that the company offereing it would be wasting their money. Sounds like more jobs and money into the economy to me. I can't see how anyone loses out on the deal?

bleukarma
12-13-2007, 08:17 AM
I’m very happy to hear about this. Our dog Charlie was rescued from a shelter so anytime he sees a cage he freaks out. A place that offers a doggie “suite” is just what we need. I’m not one of those people that pamper and paint my dogs nails, but anything I can do so Charlie won’t freak out I will do it.

When we took our WDW trip in June my aunt and I drove up and checked out the kennels. We decided that the WDW kennels were not the best place to leave Charlie. Hopefully this new company will improve them.

We ended up leaving Charlie at home and having a friend stop by a few times a day to feed him and let him out. It wasn’t the most ideal situation since my friend works from 8-5 everyday and he’s used to going out all day long since my aunt is retired and stays home with him. But we don’t have family down here to help us dog-sit when we decide to go on vacation. Maybe next time we take our trip the new kennel will be open!

MMouse6937
12-13-2007, 02:09 PM
I think it's an excellent idea actually. DH and I were talking about it last night because in a few years I would like to be able to bring our girls with us and we were deciding on whether to camp at FW or to look into the new doggie hotel for them. We have a wonderful person who stays at our house with all the babies when we go to Disney but we would love to take them. It is the wave of the future, people will spend money on their animals, don't see any reason why Disney shouldn't capitalize on that, everyone else has. Not sure why it should upset anyone.

Veezy
02-02-2009, 11:27 PM
I like the idea, I have one dog now, he's 11 years old, and he deserves a comfortable, comforting place to stay. If we can't leave him home with a petsitter, then this would be preferable to the old, "cage and concrete" places.

But I think I understand where the one poster is coming from too........although I think it's someone else's business how frou frou they want to do up their dog, I agree people need to realize these are living, feeling beings and not fashion accessories...........but I think most people who use pet spas, etc do treat their animals as actual beings..........I prefer that to people who would simply lock them up on a chain in a dirt yard alone all day every day.

DixieBelle
02-03-2009, 09:34 AM
In a pet hotel the company will most likely have a camera set up in your dog’s room. The owner can log on to the web sight from their phone or laptop and see what the pet is doing and how they are reacting to the environment they are in. This allows the owner to enjoy his day knowing that his pet is being well cared for. Having the pet on the property is another plus an owner can easily get to their pet if a problem does arise.
Sounds like a win win situation to me. The pets are getting better accommodations and the owners will feel better about leaving them.

big blue and hairy
02-03-2009, 10:36 AM
Not only is the new Pet Resort a great idea, from what I've seen, Best Friends is a great choice to run it. We have left Coty a couple of times at the MK kennel. I'm not thrilled with the facility, but the people are terrific. They obviously love dogs, and understand them. That is most of the battle.

Disney is not in the kennel business. I'm glad they brought in pros. I will be very glad when they build the Pet Resort. Really, most of them aren't really fru-fru, they just give your dog some room to move and the option of going in or out when he/she wants to.

From my experience, Best Friends is somewhere you can feel confident leaving your dog.

:sulley: