PDA

View Full Version : Epcot with Tots?

RaRaRoundTheWorld
11-28-2007, 06:56 PM
I haven't been to Epcot since I was teenager. On our last trip to WDW, we didn't bother to visit since our kids were so young. A year later, we're getting ready to go back and this time we'd like to visit Epcot as well.

So, for those of you who have visited with toddlers, what rides and attractions do you recommend? Any tips for doing Epcot with tots?

Thanks!

wedway76
11-28-2007, 07:34 PM
My son was 3 years old on our first trip. We were in Florida visiting relatives and drove up for two days. I booked a hotel room for two nights in Orlando. We went to the MK the first day and he was afraid of EVERYTHING. He wouldn’t go into any indoor rides or attractions. We walked into the Legend of the Lion King show, he started screaming and I continued walking right through to the exits.

Because of his reaction to the MK I checked out of the hotel a day early and we decided we would go to EPCOT for just a few hours, put him in a stroller, walk the World Showcase and get on the road early.

For some reason he warmed up to the place on day 2 and we all had a great time in EPCOT. He loved the ride in Mexico; he even liked the Maelstrom, which I thought was scary. He also got a big kick out of The Living Seas. He loved it so much we stayed almost until closing.

Also look for the Kidcot stations at each country. The little ones can create a mask and add to it in every country.

Tigerinvestigator
11-28-2007, 08:30 PM
My kids love Epcot. I get kind of frustrated when I hear people talk about how boring Epcot is for kids. My DD3 loves the new Nemo ride, and turtle talk with Crush. Both are in the Living Seas pavilion and are great fun for kids. My girls also love Journey into your Imagination with Figment. Even though I don't think it is as good as it once was, it is still a kid friendly pavilion. The new "Donald Duck Ride" as my kids call it in Mexico is also a hit with kids. Other attractions which are not necessarily for kids but that my kids enjoy are Living with the Land boatride, Soarin, Ellen's Energy Adventure (can be scary for little kids)with the dinosaurs, and Innoventions. One other recommendation is to eat at The Garden Grill in the Land. It has great one on one time with Mickey, Pluto, and Chip and Dale, and spins slowly giving you a great view of Living with the Land boatride.:thumbsup:

threeh
11-29-2007, 03:09 PM
My kids LOVE EPCOT too. We could spend our whole trip there. Last trip my kids were 8, 5 and 3 and we stopped at all the kid cot stations. That made it really fun. The kids looked forward to each new stop and DH and I got to check out all of world showcase. I think there a few kidcots in future world too.
We also got passports for the kids and they got a stamp and message from the CM at the kid cot stops.
There also, IMO is just a lot of room in EPCOT to run around, doesn't seem as crowded?? Mission space has a really fun play area if you go inside the building. My kids also loved playing the space race game. They also enjoyed the ice station cool, trying the sodas.
Have a great trip!!!

RaRaRoundTheWorld
11-29-2007, 03:33 PM
Wow! Thank you!

Ok, I guess there is a lot more to do than I anticipated. I just remember going to MGM last time and my 3 year old said "Where are all the rides?". So, we were ruled out Epcot thinking it would be the same let-down.

Where do you pick up "passports"? That sounds like a fun idea.

Stormer
11-29-2007, 07:21 PM
There is a lot for little kids to enjoy in EPCOT. My kids love The Living Seas. There is the Nemo ride, Turtle Talk with Crush, an area with Bruce (the shark) to take pictures, and watching the fish in the giant aquarium.
We also do the boat rides in Mexico and Norway. If your kids like characters you can find many as you go to the Character Connection and see Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Pluto, and Chip & Dale. We also like to find charactwers in World Showcase. If you find a CM they can tell you which ones will be out. Our favorite is seeing Pooh, Tigger, and EEyore in the very back of the toy store tucked away in the back of England.

stitch34
11-29-2007, 07:59 PM
On our trip this year my niece was 3 and she had a great time at Epcot. Like previously stated Living Seas was a big hit - definitely spend a lot of time there. She also really loved the Kidcot Stations and all the characters she saw around World Showcase.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
11-29-2007, 08:03 PM
My kids are HUGE Epcot fans. They are 10,7 and 4. We spent three days there in September and they still wanted more.

They love Nemo, Figment, Soarin (they meet the height requirement), Living With The Land boat ride, Maelstrom, the boat ride in Mexico. Even the short films. They really like O' Canada.

They enjoy walking around World Showcase. They like taking it all in.

I don't know if anyone mentioned it but, in Innoventions (West I think) you can design and make little plastic robots to take home for free. You would have to help your kids if they are under 3 or so but, my DD loved making them last year. They are still in their rooms. We skipped it this past trip because it was packed all the time.

Epcot is our favorite park, hands down. :number1:

Have a great trip!!

wedway76
11-29-2007, 08:38 PM
Where do you pick up "passports"? That sounds like a fun idea.

Just about every EPCOT gift shop and many gift kiosks have them.

thejens
11-30-2007, 10:22 PM
In addition to all previously mentioned my kids loved watching the street performers in China and other countries. They also liked the sparkly light up pavement in Future World and the water fountains I think near Test Track. THere is an elaborate model train running outside in the world showcase. I think Epcot is a wonderful park for kids unless the kids are determined to have a ride every minute.

mudpuppysmom
12-03-2007, 06:47 PM
My DS literally could spend almost our entire vaca at Epcot!! He could pretty much care less about MGM -- we do that on our first day and we're done with MGM. MK is a day, maybe two at best. AK is generally two days and Epcot is at LEAST three days.

There is a LOT to "discover" in FW and WS, but our DS has enjoyed FW the most......the first trip with him (at three) we never got out of FW on day one. Innoventions is a favorite spot of his, with I believe West winning by a nose (I THINK that is the one with the Robot Race). The Living Seas was another place we spent HOURS in looking at all the fish, dolphins and manatees; plus we saw Crush at Turtle Talk (that is pretty awesome for kids of all ages!). The Kodak Lab is fun too!!

The only place in FW I can think of that DS did not like was HISTA.....he just was not into it at ALL. SSE was also something he didn't take to, so we've only been on that one once, but I try to talk him into it each trip.

We did get to go into WOL once when it was open last December and he really wanted to do everything -- much of it was "broke" though -- and Body Wars was not high on his list, but the interactive parts were fun for him.

In WS he REALLY enjoys watching Miyuki in Japan and then going through the store part......getting candy that is!! He "tricked" his pap last year into eating some of his sour candy:blush:.

He also can spend HOURS watching the train exhibit in Germany! As well.....the fountain in France and before they closed it the boat in Norway (again -- it's closed now). There is also a place (the Outpost I think) you can sit and play drums that he likes (and has been known to draw a a few people into helping) and also trying out the instruments in Mexico and the Outpost area.

We have done Kidcot stations, but he's not into "art" so he doesn't care to color that much.....we're going to try the Passport one of these days.

REALLY there is a LOT to do at Epcot!!! I think it is really an overlooked park that we as parents need to steer our kids to for education as well as fun! (At least that is how I'm going to pitch it to the teachers at DS's school!!):D

wire0monkey
12-04-2007, 01:21 PM
In February 2006, we went to WDW with a 3.5 year old and a one year old. (He turned one during the trip!) The thing they loved the most at Epcot were the street shows. We managed to get a schedule and just walked from one show to another with only small waits in between. They really loved the taiko drums and the storyteller in Japan.

Of course, the one year old also took off his pants and shoes while I was trying to clean off his brother's face and went running down the "street" in Canada waving them over his pants over his head. (His dad was in the bathroom.) At least he made some CMs laugh and say "You have to wear pants, buddy," as I ran after him.

MississippiDisneyFreak
12-04-2007, 01:41 PM
:blush: I've always heard that EPCOT stands for Every Person Carries Out a Toddler. I think the joke is that EPCOT is so big that kids conk out before you are through the park. My son always loved the passports...you can pick them up at the gift shop just inside the park or just about any gift shop in the park and the CM's seem to get into interacting with the kids. Also, character sightings are very common in World showcase....Belle and the Beast at France....Snow White in Germany.....Mulan in China...Aladdin in Morocco

Jason Hook
12-04-2007, 02:52 PM
What's the height requirement for soarin?

IamaDisneyFan
12-06-2007, 09:03 AM
What's the height requirement for soarin?

40 inches. They have the seatbelts that go around the waist of little ones and hook to one that goes between their legs. Lets parents relax and enjoy the experience without worrying the kids are going to fall out!

We have taken young ones to Epcot and for several years I have made a book filled with pictures from different places in the world showcase for my daughter to find. Each year I make it a little harder to keep her challenged. This keeps her occupied while we walk around and there is considerably less whining! :mickey: Always a good thing!

FlaTinkRAMESAM
12-07-2007, 09:08 PM
Nemo Nemo Nemo... my daughter will be 3 in Jan and demands to go every time we hit the Disney property. She also enjoys looking at the fish and all. Be sure to do the Kidcot stops...if they do all the stops in the world showcase, the last country will give them a cute little 8x10 keepsake.

mexico has a fun ride with singing. the drum show and candy shows in japan are a big hit with my DD too...

jenfriend
12-26-2007, 07:53 PM
My kids were 2,5,&8. We went there first so they had no idea what MK was like. We went for 1 full day and 2 partial afternoon/eves. We didn't see everything, but kids liked the other cultures and rides. 2yo liked the Mexico Boat ride the best. The first day my 5yo told me that this was the best day of her life ever! The 5 &8yo favorite ride (mine too) was Soarin. Take time for the cookie making station in the Land Pavillion. The Princess Storybook Dinner in Norway is a must if you have a litle girl - you meet 5 princesses in about 90 minutes! Talking Turtle also a big hit.

Kairi_7378
12-26-2007, 09:29 PM
Of course, the one year old also took off his pants and shoes while I was trying to clean off his brother's face and went running down the "street" in Canada waving them over his pants over his head. (His dad was in the bathroom.) At least he made some CMs laugh and say "You have to wear pants, buddy," as I ran after him.

LOL!!! Oh no!!! Kids can sure be crazy. I'm glad that he had fun in Canada in his own way.