PDA

View Full Version : Last night was not a good night

NYC WDW Fan
11-28-2007, 11:18 AM
I haven't posted in a while, but I need a place to exhale.

Yesterday Jackie and I had to make a decision we will forever struggle with. Yesterday we said goodbye to the Pecan.

The Pecan came into our lives in November of 1996. Gin-Gin (Jackie's cat) had passed away that summer and Jackie and I had gotten engaged in October. On a trip out to visit Janice and Vinny (Jackie's cousins) we stopped by the Little Shelter, an animal rescue in Huntington, LI. On the way I warned Jackie that we couldn’t just “stop in to look”. We know how we are. Well, we went for a visit and stopped by the kitten room. That’s when our lives changed again.

Like an extended gift, a re-affirmation of our engagement, we met three great little ones who enriched our lives. First was the Princess. She practically tripped me, ran up the ladders and through the cubbies and shelves until she was eye level with me, where she silent meowed, stepped off the shelf so I had to catch her, ran up my arm and purred into my neck. I was spoken for.

Jackie was playing with all the little ones but one stood out. He was distracted by his buddy, Gizmo, running around and playing, he would come over to Jackie and then be drawn back into playing with his buddy. You knew there was a bond, a connection. That’s why everyone there but me was surprised when Jackie thought it better to take Pecan’s brother, Peanut. I know Jackie, how much she cares, loves and nurtures. Peanut was sickly and the thought was maybe he’d have a chance in a loving home with care and attention. At the shelter he wasn’t expected to do well or be a top adoption candidate, just because he was sickly.

We took them home and tried our best. Peanut had the oldest eyes for a kitten, he would sit with us on the couch (often on my shoulder) watching the Princess run around the apartment like he was above it all. He was old beyond his years and seemed to really enjoy the craziness of the kitten in front of him.

After we lost the Peanut, we went back and got the Pecan. It was meant to be and he was waiting for us. We all tried to give his brother the best chance and now it was Pecan’s turn. Everything was right. The Three Musketeers in the biggest studio apartment you’ll ever see, with D’Artagnon (me) coming by as often as possible. The team was together. Pecan and Princess running throughout the place all night sliding around on linoleum and wood floors. Chasing balls bounced off the walls. All four of us crammed in a twin bed watching football on Sundays. Eating scrambled eggs for breakfast and having spaghetti or London broil for dinner.

They were so cute. Pecan was the Big Love, a Big Mush. Always there with a purr a headbutt and love. Kneading into our heads and necks until we almost bled, but it was great. He didn’t want anything more than to give love to whomever he could. I have never met a cat with a better personality. He was just so happy, all the time, just to be with us.

When we moved into our current place, he played the big brother protector and shielded the Princess. They had only known the studio for just over a year and now they had all this change. We kept them in a comforter on the couch in the living room after the move where they snuggled together and Pecan laid in front, towards the outside, protecting the Princess from any harm. When it finally came time to get off the couch, that everything was OK, Princess was the one to do it and Pecan reverted to form, the big mush. The studio was mostly linoleum and wood floors, the apartment was wall to wall carpet. He was scared by the carpet. I have still never seen a cat tap and step so tentatively.

Once he conquered the carpet, we had the ceiling fan monster for a time. He wouldn’t come into the dining room when the fan was on. We finally beat that together.

Then we just settled into the years of love. And struggle. When the Pecan would again do what he always did. Love. He nursed us through so much. He let us take in Scruffy, the stray. Princess always had a problem with her, but the Pecan was OK with it. She needed love. He helped us through bad times. He gave us all the love and companionship we could have asked for when we lost our son Sean. He knew, and was there without us even looking for him. Through both of our operations, he soothed us. Sleeping with us, by our heads, his purring and breathing, helping us heal.

Then everything went wrong this past summer. He lost weight and, after trips to the vet and the Animal Hospital, we found out in August he had lymphoma. We tried. We fought for him like he loved for us. For three months, three great, tough, months, the Three Musketeers fought. Me, Jackie and the Pecan. First with oral chemo pills. Then IV chemotherapy when the oral therapy didn’t yield the results we were hoping for. God we tried. Then, last week, he turned bad again. This time it was pancreatitis. Again, we tried. And then we talked. Pecan was, is, about the Love. About us and home. Maybe he could have had more time if we admitted him for a few days in the hospital. Maybe if we put in a feeding tube. But he was already not really himself.

Pecan was always the Big Guy, a strong powerful cat who carried himself like he was on the Serengeti, even if his personality was anything but lion-like. Now he was thin, even bony in spots. And, even though he loved to sleep, he took after his dad that way, he pretty much only slept now. If he were to have his last days, they’d be where he loved, with those he loved, not in a hospital with tubes and strangers.

We had a really good Sunday morning. Pecan woke us up like it was last year. He jumped up on the bed. Purring loud. Head butting Jackie and I and kneading and grooving into her hair like he was never sick. A feline Barry White. But then, later that day, he was sick again. Not eating. Sleeping in the dark, looking for closets and dark places under beds.

Pecan isn’t about dark places and quiet. Pecan is about bright shining love and loud purrs and yells. He said goodbye Sunday morning. It took us two days to be able to do the same.

Our house will never feel the same. It’s missing a big part of the glue which made it our home. The King of the Bed, the King of the Chair. We have been spoiled, yes. 18 years for Mandy and 23 for Gin-Gin. 11 years for Pecan was not enough. Not even close. He should not have had to make up the average, pay for their long life. I like to tell myself he just burned out. He shined too bright and gave all that he had. I keep telling myself that.

Last night we put the Pecan to sleep. I miss my big guy.

WonderlandsMostWanted
11-28-2007, 11:35 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss. It's never easy losing a family member like that. Pecan was very lucky to have such a good family who loved and appreciated him so much.

Mom to a Princess and a Prince
11-28-2007, 12:38 PM
What a wonderful tribute. I have tears for both Pecan and my Scruffy who seem to have been cut from the same mold. I still miss him like crazy after almost 3 years.

missbunny
11-28-2007, 01:23 PM
I am so very sorry about your loss. Our cat died this past September so I know how great your loss is. Frisky was also a shelter cat.
Each day will be a little easier. The pain does lessen over time and then you will smile over the cute and clever things Pecan did.
This past weekend we started to decorate for Christmas and we laughed over how Frisky would hide under the tree and swing at the balls. On Thanksgiving we missed how he would wait by the stove for the turkey to come out and he would meow for a piece.
Take comfort in the joy your Pecan brought into your life and how you gave him a wonderful home. I know my thoughts won't replace your lost friend but I hope knowing someone else cares about your loss will make your suffering a little easier.

laprana
11-28-2007, 02:13 PM
I'm so, so sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is to say goodbye to a dearly loved pet. I have a cat now, Libby, who sounds a lot like your Pecan. She's the most loving cat I've ever known. All she needs is a good lap to sit on, a nice scratch on the head, and she's happy as can be. (She even does the headbutt, too!) I can't imagine how awful it would feel if something happened to her because she is such an important, and positive, part of my life, just like Pecan was to you and your wife. Sending some :pixie: your way that the pain of your loss will ease a bit and you can cherish your good memories of Pecan.

Tick-Tock
11-28-2007, 02:18 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss.

IloveJack
11-28-2007, 02:31 PM
I'm sorry that you lost your friend :(, but such wonderful memories you have! :cat: It's so tough to lose one of your family members, even when they're the furry kind. I do hope the grieving process will go quickly, and that soon all you'll remember will be the good days!

MNNHFLTX
11-28-2007, 02:36 PM
Peter, thank you for sharing your stories about Pecan and what a wonderful friend he was. I'm sorry for the pain you are feeling now and how much you must be missing him. :(

RedheadWriter
11-28-2007, 03:08 PM
Peter...I am so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful boy Pecan was. Your words are a wonderful tribute to him.
Rachel

MsMin
11-28-2007, 04:12 PM
He sounds like a very special guy. I'm so sorry you have lost him and understand the want to have him just a little longer. I understand how hard it is to let him go but it is a very loving decision. I'm hoping that he left b/c his job was complete that he was there for you in your darkest hours and now I hope you will be entering a new phase filled with love and sunshine. Sending puppy love and kisses (from Chloe, Max, Reilly and Mr. Brisby) from down here to comfort you and Jackie. :hug:
My Max had surgery this morning, a lump on the back of his head. He too has always acted like an old man (as you mentioned with peanut) and he's only two:(. We are awaiting the biopsy but I spent most of my morning thinking about his short life and hoping he stays healthy. :pixie:

RenDuran
11-28-2007, 05:02 PM
I know you will miss Pecan immensely. Just try to keep the good memories in mind. Pecan knew you loved him. BTW....I love his name.

2Epcot
11-28-2007, 05:05 PM
Sorry about your loss. That was a well written and wonderful tribute. My brother and his family just said goodbye to their Golden retriever after about 14 years. Both my niece and nephew grew up with her. I used to take care of her when they were away. It is always hard to say goodbye to a member of the family. Thanks for sharing.

MMouse6937
11-28-2007, 06:15 PM
Thank you Peter for that wonderful, touching farewell. You have summed up everything I feel for all of my babies, they are only there to love and I can't imagine life without them.

Thanks for sharing with us. God bless you and I hope that your grief will be tempered with knowing what a special kitty Pecan was.

Take care of yourself and Jackie :hug:

mrsgaribaldi
11-28-2007, 06:36 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. He sounds like a wonderful fur baby. Think of how happy you made each other. :pixie::pixie::pixie:

Jeff G
11-28-2007, 06:52 PM
Peter, so sorry for your loss. Pecan sounded like a great friend.

merlinmagic4
11-28-2007, 07:19 PM
I had to put the computer down after I read this the first time. What a beautiful tribute to the Pecan. I'm so sorry for your loss. I really feel your heartbreak and I do hope you don't struggle with your decision too much. You did the right thing and I am sure he thanks you for it. He had a great life; what a lucky, lucky cat!

ChipnDaleGal
11-28-2007, 08:19 PM
That really speaks for all of us that know the pain of losing a much loved cat or dog. You captured the awesome highs and the sad, sad lows of attaching your life to a furry family member. My heart goes out to you and your wife as you work your way through this loss. :hug:

Marilyn Michetti
11-28-2007, 08:33 PM
I'm sooooooo sorry for your loss. I just lost my sweet Basset, Bentley, three weeks ago yesterday.

The love those eyes give you can't be replaced easily. Our pets teach us how to love, wholly, and unconditionally, and ask for so little in return.

You will miss your kitty "angel". That final act of love, - letting go, is the toughest thing in the world.:cat:

disneydeb
11-28-2007, 09:20 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. Shellter kitties are the best, aren't they?

He would love the tribute you wrote of him.

mickey&missy
11-28-2007, 09:58 PM
Oh Peter, I'm so, so sorry. Your post was absolutely beautiful. What a wonderful rememberance of a wonderful life.

Having lost 2 beloved kitties I know feel your sorrow. The first, Midnight, was the kitty I grew up with. We got him when I was 4 and he died when I was 19. We grew up together. Although he was one heck of a feisty cat, I still have a tiny scare under my right eye to prove it, he was the biggest mush and love ever. I can still feel the heartbreak of lossing him, even 12 years later. The second, Tigger, came into our lives by acident about a year after Midnight left. He was the sweetest kitty ever. He was a huge tabby. He weighed over 20 lbs and looked like a coon cat without the tuffs of hair on the ears. He only live a short time, only 5 years. He got very sick very quick and was gone within a week. Absolutely heartbreaking and such a shock.

I hope the others help ease your pain a bit. Good luck :hug:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
11-28-2007, 10:06 PM
I am so sorry for your loss.
That is a lovely tribute to your fur baby. It sounds like he had a wonderful life.

:hug:

TheDuckRocks
11-29-2007, 09:32 AM
How very sad I feel for you and Jackie for your loss of the Pecan.

DizNee143
11-29-2007, 10:02 AM
you have me tearing up reading what you wrote about your beloved Pecan...
i know how hard it is to put a pet down..it definetly leaves a void/hole...and its so hard..but over time it will get better..just remember all the fun you had with him...
again so sorry you had to go through this..

DisneyDudet
11-29-2007, 10:13 AM
What wonderful words you have about Pecan. I'm in tears for the second time today.

Four legged family members are no different than us. They are just as important to me. Just know that your love for him put him in a place where there's linoleum and wood floors to play on all the time. Pecan did his job: to fill your heart and home with happiness and unconditional love. Now you have the memories to help you move along, and hopefully take in someone that needs love, just as Pecan would want you to.

Puppy kisses from Chloe are on the way (she gives the best kisses!

NYC WDW Fan
11-29-2007, 12:25 PM
Thank you all for all your kind words, thoughts and good wishes.

I was reading them with Jackie and it made us feel a little better last night. It's good to share his story, and know others "get it".

Thanks again . . .

Dsnygirl
11-30-2007, 05:07 AM
Peter, I am so sorry for your loss... I had to put my dearest "kitten" friend (for that was what he was to me, even at the age of 12...) down last October, and it was one of the hardest things I ever had to do. He had cancer and was getting sicker, wasn't himself anymore... I can totally relate to what you saw changing in the Pecan. It's so hard to see them that way. Just know that he knows what you did was your last great act of love, and he is watching over you in his own way. :cat: :angel:

AbeeNormal
11-30-2007, 11:43 PM
I had to put the computer down after I read this the first time. What a beautiful tribute to the Pecan. I'm so sorry for your loss. I really feel your heartbreak and I do hope you don't struggle with your decision too much. You did the right thing and I am sure he thanks you for it. He had a great life; what a lucky, lucky cat!

I felt the same way as Kelly, what a wonderful tribute to your Pecan. I know our Gary won't live forever and dread when his time comes and the loss of a family member even if furry are so terribly hard, my heart is with you and I am so sorry. Pecan is looking down on you with a purr and a smile of thanks for doing the right thing I'm just sure of it. :angel: