PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of Holiday letters?

TikiGoddess
11-28-2007, 08:17 AM
Hi all,

I just finished writing up my annual holiday letter that I was planning on putting into our Christmas cards. I fancied it up with pictures of the girls and just wrote what we've been up for the past year.

But I got thinking... what does everyone think of holiday letters? Do you read them when you receive them? Do you write one of your own?

Kathy

DizNee143
11-28-2007, 08:32 AM
i think they are some what ok...
the ones we get are just so i dunno annoying..its like the few people who do write them..just brag about whatever..and just some of the things they put in the letter its like..ok..so? lol...i dont do one..and never will..people wanna know whats going on im my life..they can call..write..or whatever...
but as i always say - to each his own!!! :)

disneymom15
11-28-2007, 09:30 AM
I tend to agree with DizNee143.

Ian
11-28-2007, 09:36 AM
Forgive my manly ignorance, but what's a "holiday letter"?

:confused:

Marilyn Michetti
11-28-2007, 09:42 AM
Oh, they're O.K. When you're my age, it's kind of fun to see the pictures of kids that I used to diaper.;)

What's annoying are the lines like:

Dave and I are enjoying our new Infinity, that sits in the circle of our new 4,000 sq. ft. home.

The weather while we were in Hawaii was just beautiful.

Our son, Blake, was awarded the Student Of The Year at Buxton, (a private school for gifted children), and will be entering Princeton as a Freshman when he's 12.

We've been to Disney World four times this year, and were the Grand Marshalls of the parade each time. (NOW, THAT SMARTS) !!:mad:

Yeah, some of the letters are a "little" annoying. I'd rather read anything you guys write online about your frustrating relatives, annoying rashes, and how to get cat pee out of your mattresses - you know, REALLY interesting stuff.

Let's have a contest. Write boring letters on Intercot - save on postage. I'll start. My dog died, I have a toenail fungus, and have to wear my slippers to church, and the photographer wouldn't take our Christmas pictures. (Something about needing a wider lens???).:blush:

MsMin
11-28-2007, 09:50 AM
I've never done one but was considering this year especially to friends that I've not seen in years or friends that send them. I would consider it appropriate for distant family and friends. My mom has a friend who sends one and my mom complains every year that she's just bragging. Truth is she is angry with her. I see it as wanting to share her experiences -- you never know.
It is hard to say how are you and the family when it's a generic letter... :tree:

SBETigg
11-28-2007, 09:50 AM
Forgive my manly ignorance, but what's a "holiday letter"?

:confused:

They're sort of like newsletters people print out to send with holiday cards that update others on what's happened with their family over the year.

Personally, sorry to say, I don't like them as much as I like personal handwritten mail. I never send them. I wish people could take the time to write individual letters for personal correspondence. It's as if the sender couldn't be bothered with me. But I know people are busy and that's what it comes down to now more often than not. Better to get a newsletter than nothing at all, I guess. I take the time to write the information individually, even though it means I have a smaller mailing list. The newsletters are great for business situations, though, if you're not writing to close personal friends and family.

PirateLover
11-28-2007, 09:52 AM
Ian, holiday letters are what some people send out in their Christmas cards to update you about their family.

We don't get very many anymore. I think they can be fun, but there was one family that obviously sent one out every year just to brag. Sometimes it's hard to walk the line between "updating" and "bragging" though, especially during the holiday season when so many people are depressed.

They only time my mom does one is when something really important is going on.

brownie
11-28-2007, 10:02 AM
I enjoy reading them, and we write one every year. It's nice to be able to update people you don't necessarily have frequent contact with about what's been happening with your family.

As far as bragging goes, would you really put all the bad stuff that goes on in the letter?

Christine
11-28-2007, 10:04 AM

Dave and I are enjoying our new Infinity, that sits in the circle of our new 4,000 sq. ft. home.

Our son, Blake, was awarded the Student Of The Year at Buxton, (a private school for gifted children), and will be entering Princeton as a Freshman when he's 12.

We've been to Disney World four times this year, and were the Grand Marshalls of the parade each time. (NOW, THAT SMARTS) !!:mad:

Wow! You get a newsletter from my aunt, too? ;) Hers sound JUST like that!

I don't mind holiday letters...so long as they're not braggy!

offwego
11-28-2007, 10:21 AM
I've always been Eh about them. Growing up my family lived far from my dad's family (and back then long distance was super expensive) so they would all do them and send them around to other relatives etc. I can't imagine anyone really putting in the "real truth" into one so I kinda look at it like fiction.

Besides odds are if you popped over to great aunt suzzies you'd see the infiniti is a jalopy..the 4000 sqfoot is the size of the overcrowded appt building she's sharing with 4 roomies and the circle is the fire route. If people have to brag that way it's not a big deal to me.

Disneyatic
11-28-2007, 10:23 AM
I like them!
We only have one family that we get one from, but I enjoy reading it.
I appreciate the time that it takes to get it written and pictures included.
I have thought about doing it but just haven't gotten around to it.

I like to send the Christmas cards that you can insert a picture in the front of, that is usually what we do with our family picture, but this year we are changing it up. I bought the cutest Christmas cards in DTD on our last trip so we'll be sending those out!

tinkwest
11-28-2007, 10:28 AM
I don't get many holiday letters, but enjoy the majority of the ones I do receive. The people I receive them from would more likely include a line such as "Our pet bunnies would not stop reproducing and we were finally eaten out of house & home" rather than "Our stable of thoroughbred racehorses included several participants in the Kentucky Derby". Such is my circle of friends.

But seriously, I can understand those that are so excited or joyful (birth of baby, marriage of son or daughter) that they just have to share. However, the letters that go on about vacations abroad & purchases of summer homes tend to make the reader feel more down than uplifted.

My Aunt puts out a great letter that I look forward to every year. It starts out with remembrances of the past and leads in to what is happening today. I love being reminded of fond memories & events I might otherwise have forgotten.

I would probably write a letter myself if I could ever find the motivation. But actually, I think I only wrote one brief letter the year we moved. Wanted to make sure everyone had our new address.

ibelieveindisneymagic
11-28-2007, 11:11 AM
I like them!

I always mean to write one, but never seem to get around to it. I have a cousin and a friend who send one faithfully every year.

I look at it as a chance to catch up with them a bit, and I get far more information than if they wrote each of us a personal letter.

TheDuckRocks
11-28-2007, 11:22 AM
I like them, if for no other reason than laugh value!
You always know you're getting to the bragging part when the sentence starts out, "Not wanting to brag but........." or "We have been really blessed this year..........."

SBETigg
11-28-2007, 11:35 AM
I enjoy reading them, and we write one every year. It's nice to be able to update people you don't necessarily have frequent contact with about what's been happening with your family.

As far as bragging goes, would you really put all the bad stuff that goes on in the letter?

I think it would be hilarious if someone did it in a self-deprecating, purposely funny way. I wouldn't laugh at someone's misfortunes otherwise, but this could really be a hoot. That's a Holiday letter I would actually look forward to receiving. :D

DizneyRox
11-28-2007, 11:42 AM
We get a few, and honestly, it is a highlight of the mail. I enjoy the laugh at such a stressful time of the year.

It's kindof presumptuous to think that people really care about everything that's happened in their lives from the previous year. Kindof like looking at someone elses vacation pictures.

I think that the pictures we send each year are overkill.

Here we go again...
11-28-2007, 11:42 AM
Let's have a contest. Write boring letters on Intercot - save on postage. I'll start. My dog died, I have a toenail fungus, and have to wear my slippers to church, and the photographer wouldn't take our Christmas pictures. (Something about needing a wider lens???).:blush:

Wait a minute, this sounds like my life.... :rotfl:
You are too funny!

I get a letter every year from an aunt that I love reading. She has a great sense of humor and manages to make it a nice balance between fun and bragging. She has a truely wonderful family so anything would come off as bragging even though it is only stating the truth.

I had a cousin that let her DD write the family letter every year. We did not ike that one at all... it was a me, me, me letter.

So, I guess it depends on how it is written. Remember to keep some real life in it, not just the good stuff. That will make it more "real" and interesting.

TikiGoddess
11-28-2007, 03:46 PM
Okay, I'm going out on a limb here... be nice please...

Here's the letter that I was going to send out. This is a letter going to about 30 of our families (cousins, aunts/uncles, friends that we don't normally see very often). Let me know if this is too 'braggy' or 'who cares', as those seem to be the main faults most posters find about holiday letters. My original thought was just to share what our family is like these days and what we've been up to this past year.

Hopefully this letter finds you well and enjoying the holiday season! This year was a busy one for us. After many years of thinking about it, I finally decided to start running. So far I have run three 5K races and am in training to do a 10K next summer. I joined the CitySingers of Hartford, a 28 person choir that does three concerts a year. I am also an active Disney fan – I went to three fan meets this year and have met some wonderful people. Being at Disney World with our girls this summer was a highlight for both (DH) and I.

(DH) is active in the teacher’s union, hosted a student teacher this fall, and is looking into getting his sixth year degree in administration. He is also working on his second recorder book, “Ready, Set, Play!” He loves going to music classes with the girls and answering their many questions. He was especially happy to watch the Red Sox win the World Series!

(DD4) is now four years old and attends preschool. She has found a great love for drawing and is quite the accomplished artist. She also takes music and dance classes on Saturdays, and is often found singing one of her favorite songs or composing one of her own. At home she plays with her dinosaurs, cars, and trains.

(DD3) turned three in November. She goes to a home daycare three times a week and enjoys learning her letters and numbers. (DD3) also likes going to Grandma's to play with Lacey, the new German Shepherd puppy. She and (DD4) had a ball at the local fairs this September. At home she is a big fan of dressing up and playing ‘princess’. Daddy is a fine Prince Charming!

The best times were spent with family-- a week in Florida at Grandpa’s house, visits to (and from) Grandpa and Grandma in NY, hosting Thanksgiving at our house with my brother and his family, and the many birthdays and celebrations throughout the year. We look forward to a busy and blessed new year, and hope the same for you and your own!

??????
TikiG

thrillme
11-28-2007, 04:16 PM
Sounds really nice but I'm jealous you've been dedicated enough to start running. I sure need too. :D

I enjoy holiday news letters especially with pictures.

Normally I really can't come up with anything exciting.

DizNee143
11-28-2007, 04:18 PM
ok i dont mean for this to sound mean and i dont want anyone hating me..
but i read that its like.. oook so what...and it would go in the trash..
im just really not a big fan of these letters..
its a nice letter..and you got alittle bit of everything in there..but personally i would just never send it out..

SBETigg
11-28-2007, 04:35 PM
Honestly, it's a nice letter. Not braggy, and it has a certain charm to it. It conveys what's important to you and your family as you reflect on the year and it should strike a chord with the people who know you well. Well done. Even though I'm generally not a fan of the holiday letter format, I would be honored to receive it and I would feel the warm spirit of you and your family coming through with it. :) Happy holidays!

Ian
11-28-2007, 05:39 PM
They're sort of like newsletters people print out to send with holiday cards that update others on what's happened with their family over the I see ... can't say I'm really familiar with that concept. Maybe it's not a Northeast thang. ;)

If I wrote one it would sound something like this:

Merry Christmas, Everyone!

Here's hoping this time of the year finds everyone happy and healthy.

2007 has been quite a year for the (Wacky) family! (DS1) is growing like a weed. He really has an appetite. No ... really. He's eating us out of house and home ... for Christmas send him food. Please!

(DD5) has started kindergarten and is doing really well. She's learning so much! We know, because she tells us all the time how much she knows. Usually it sounds something like, "Daddy, you're wrong. I know." 5 is such a wonderful age!

As for DW and I ... things couldn't be better! I mean what a great time to be in the mortgage business. Sure, it's tough times, but it really has some upside. So many people have been let go from work that it's very quiet and I can really get a lot done! Of course, since so many people have been let go, I now have to do all their work in addition to mine, but hey ... you can't have everything!

(DW)'s company is doing very well, though. They've turned record profits and I read somewhere that the CEO made over $10 billion last year. Of course, DW's salary hasn't gone up in the last two years, but I'm SURE Mr. CEO is hurting what with gas prices what they are, so I can't really begrudge his getting a raise.

In closing, here's hoping that 2008 is as good as 2007 was to us. I'd wish for it to be better, but I don't want to appear greedy.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours!

RenDuran
11-28-2007, 05:42 PM
I always enjoy seeing what people are up to when I get holiday letters, but so many of them are impersonal/pretentious/BORING.....I like to read them just for a good laugh!

Here's the letter that I was going to send out.

??????
TikiG

I don't think there's anything "wrong" with your letter, but I don't think you would talk to your family and friends the way you've written this. It's so formal sounding in parts. BTW....good luck on the 10K! Should be a piece of cake after 3 5K's!

SBETigg
11-28-2007, 06:01 PM
Merry Christmas, Everyone!

Here's hoping this time of the year finds everyone happy and healthy.

2007 has been quite a year for the (Wacky) family! (DS1) is growing like a weed. He really has an appetite. No ... really. He's eating us out of house and home ... for Christmas send him food. Please!

(DD5) has started kindergarten and is doing really well. She's learning so much! We know, because she tells us all the time how much she knows. Usually it sounds something like, "Daddy, you're wrong. I know." 5 is such a wonderful age!

Oh, hahaha! Ian, wait until they are teenagers. You are so in for it then. :D

2Epcot
11-29-2007, 12:40 AM
I never sent them, only recieved maybe a couple of them in the past. Since I've had very few they were OK to read. We just sent out a short two-liner on our photo holiday cards ... short and sweet.

minnie-mouse
11-29-2007, 08:53 AM
Personally, I think they are ridiculous. The people you send them to are "supposed" to be friends and family, and if they were they would most likely already know what is going on in your life. Those people that you send the letter to that aren't close enough to you to already know the info, probably don't really care. Just my opinion.

Mickey'sGirl
11-29-2007, 09:03 AM
Okay, I'm going out on a limb here... be nice please...TikiG
I love your letter.

I love to get them, and to send them. I send one mostly because I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, and to handwrite 75 letters would do me in! With the letter, I am then able to just write a short personal note when I sign the cards. I have basic letter rules, however....

1. The letter must fit onto one page in regular sized print.
2. Information, not bragging - one paragraph about the family, one for each of the boys and one for the pets.

TheDuckRocks
11-29-2007, 09:46 AM
I think Ian's letter strikes exactly the right cord! It is very personal and shows his quirky sense of humor. Receiving that kind of letter would make me laugh, have warm and fuzzy thoughts about the sender and be glad I was on his mailing list.:thumbsup:

Jeff G
11-29-2007, 09:51 AM
As for DW and I ... things couldn't be better! I mean what a great time to be in the mortgage business. Sure, it's tough times, but it really has some upside. So many people have been let go from work that it's very quiet and I can really get a lot done! Of course, since so many people have been let go, I now have to do all their work in addition to mine, but hey ... you can't have everything!

(DW)'s company is doing very well, though. They've turned record profits and I read somewhere that the CEO made over $10 billion last year. Of course, DW's salary hasn't gone up in the last two years, but I'm SURE Mr. CEO is hurting what with gas prices what they are, so I can't really begrudge his getting a raise.

Being in the mortgage industry that is hilarious:ill:.

As for the holiday letters, our family receives at least 10 a year. One of my better friends puts her's together very creatively and I love to see what she came up with. Last year it was a wanted poster with a brief description of the family memebers. They live straight across the street from us and are one of my childs god parents so everything they put in the letter is not new yet it's never to brag, just an breif update what the family is up to. I wish all of the letters were done with this much class, but....

As for the other 9 they are basically embelished and a lot braggy. I do read the letters from people who live furhter away or I don't talk to on a daily basis just to see if I missed anything (remembering that little Johnny being great at the piano doens't mean he's Beethoven) & to get a good laugh. The idea of a form letter just seems so cold, I would prefer a hand written letter or a phone call if these are truely friends.

When I send Christmas cards it's generally to friends & family, people I wish to stay in contact with and will call just to catch up with at least a couple times per year or send an email to. Based of this I don't find it necessary to send a letter to these people highlighting what they already know.

IloveJack
11-29-2007, 11:13 AM
Personally, I think they are ridiculous. The people you send them to are "supposed" to be friends and family, and if they were they would most likely already know what is going on in your life. Those people that you send the letter to that aren't close enough to you to already know the info, probably don't really care. Just my opinion.

I started sending holiday letters last year, mostly because the majority of my family doesn't live within visiting distance. And since my closest friends are all from college, they are now spread across the US (or even as far as China). As for my friends, we do talk often, but I don't always tell everyone everything. As for my rather large family, Christmas is quite often a time to catch up.
My letters aren't boastful or pretentious. In fact, this year's statement that "we are blessed...", leads to "to still have both my parents with us, as Mom had quintuple bypass surgery in May, and Dad had two stints put in in November." I don't brag about any major purchases, and I only spend 2 sentences on our trip to WDW. We have no kids, but I've found that many, many of my letter receivers love hearing about our furry/scaley/feathered family members.
I know that some say you find them cold, and non-personal. However, I find them just the opposite. I really enjoy getting them in cards, and being able to fill in all the spaces from what I have heard from friends. I do write a quick personal note in the card itself, to my closer friends/family. And we also insert a family picture, for those who haven't seen us in a while. Many of our family members seem to love the picture, as most of them only see us once a year (or even less).

Cinderelley
11-29-2007, 12:07 PM
TikiG

I think it's a nice letter. I would include some pics of you guys doing the things you mentioned.

I don't have an opinion either way. I do get a couple of letters each year. Mostly from people I was very close to at one time, and they've moved away. Even though I talk to them or e-mail them, it really solidifies things for me when I read it all in one letter, especially when they send pics. Then I can see how much "Billy" has grown or how cute the grandkids are.

TikiGoddess
11-29-2007, 12:15 PM
Okay, I've revised my letter a little. Let me know which one you prefer, the one on page 1 of the posts or this one.

(I know, I know... I'm not usually this obsessed with holiday letters but I've been home from work 3 days this week with a feverish 3 yr old. She's sleeping. I'm bored.)

Tell me if it's too corny. I was hoping to express my sense of humor...

Hopefully this letter finds you well and enjoying the holiday season! This year was a busy one for us. After many years of broken New Year’s resolutions, I finally took up running. So far I have run three 5K races and am in training to do a 10K next summer. I also joined the CitySingers of Hartford, a 28 person choir that does three concert programs a year. In my spare time I am an active Disney fan – I went to three fan meets this year and have met some wonderful people as ‘goofy’ as I am. Being at Disney World with our girls this summer was a highlight for both (DH) and I. I hope to turn them into Disney World fans so that at least one of them will move to Florida after college and work for Disney, like their father did. That way I’ll have a reason to spend months at a time visiting!

(DH) is active in the teacher’s union, hosted a student teacher this fall, and is looking into getting his sixth year degree in administration (“Principal xxxxx”... I like the way that sounds…). He is also working on his second recorder book, “Ready, Set, Play!” He had a great time watching the Red Sox games this season, especially when they won the World Series. He loves going to music classes with the girls and answering their many questions (Julie: “Why did Katie put a hat on the dog?”).

(DD4) is four years old and attends preschool. She has found a great love for drawing and is quite the accomplished artist. She also takes music and dance classes on Saturdays and is often found singing one of her favorite songs or composing one of her own. At home she plays with her dinosaurs (“let’s have a dinosaur tea party!”), cars, and trains.

(DD3) turned three in November and is our resident ‘scamp’. She goes to a home daycare three times a week and enjoys learning her letters and numbers. (DD3) also likes going to Grandma's to play with Lacy, the new German Shepherd puppy (who, I believe, does not like wearing hats). She and (DD4) had a ball at the local fairs this September, scarfing fresh donuts and riding as many kiddie rides as they could talk Mom and Dad into. At home she is a big fan of dressing up and playing ‘princess’. Sometimes Daddy gets roped into playing princess with her, which he doesn’t mind as long as he can be the Prince.

The best times were spent with family-- a week in Florida at Grandpa’s house, visits to (and from) Grandpa and Grandma in NY, hosting Thanksgiving at our house with my brother and his family (imagine 4 preschoolers sleeping in one room-- yes, it was a gigglefest), and the many birthdays and celebrations throughout the year. We look forward to a busy and blessed new year, and hope the same for you and your own!

Have at it.
TikiG

JanetMegan
11-29-2007, 01:15 PM
This is a very interesting thread, I got probably at LEAST 20 of these a year and LOVE reading them. I enjoy reading the ones my mom and grandmother get too, to catch up on old friends and such. I send approx 60 homemade cards each year, with a handwritten note and usually a short two paragraph letter. My mom on the other hand types up about two pages...it does go on, but it's just her, and I love it. I LOVE these!! =)

Cinderelley
11-29-2007, 01:22 PM
Okay, I've revised my letter a little. Let me know which one you prefer, the one on page 1 of the posts or this one.

Have at it.
TikiG

I like the second one better. It gives me a better sense of who/how your family is. I do miss the line from the first one about your DH being Prince Charming though.

Mary M
11-29-2007, 01:25 PM
I love 'em. They're usually from people I don't correspond with often enough. so I like hearing about them.

On the other hand, we used to get one every year from our family lawyer. We'd never met this guy's family, and yet, we knew all about his kids from his annual Christmas card. So I guess the lesson learned here is to be aware of who you're sending them to. (and be aware that some might be subject to a dramatic reading! :secret: )

Ian
11-29-2007, 01:37 PM
Personally, I think they are ridiculous. The people you send them to are "supposed" to be friends and family, and if they were they would most likely already know what is going on in your life. Those people that you send the letter to that aren't close enough to you to already know the info, probably don't really care. Just my opinion.This was basically my first thought, too.

Which then lead me to figure out why I probably never heard of them. Most of my family (virtually all of it, actually) is still right here in the Philadelphia area. Even going out to distant cousins, aunts, and uncles, I have very little family that's not still close to home. I have one cousin who lives in Hawaii, one part of the family moved off to Florida, and that's about it.

We all talk a lot through the year via email, parties, etc. and there's not much need to "catch up" with letters like these.

I think Ian's letter strikes exactly the right cord! It is very personal and shows his quirky sense of humor. Receiving that kind of letter would make me laugh, have warm and fuzzy thoughts about the sender and be glad I was on his mailing list.:thumbsup:Hmmmmmm ... Maybe I'll copy that out into our Christmas cards this year. ;)

PirateLover
11-29-2007, 01:55 PM
Tiki- I LOVE the second letter. Didn't really have a problem with the first but the second one reads with more personality.

I have the same experience as Ian, in that most of my family lives close by and we have no need for these holiday letters. However, the ones we receive are usually from my mom's old friends who moved away and who she doesn't talk to much anymore. So what if they don't talk throughout the year? They were good friends at one time, they still exchange Christmas cards and think about each other, so my mom for the most part likes receiving them. As I mentioned earlier the last time she sent one out was when my grandfather was dying. She exchanges cards with many of his old friends as well and wanted to get the word out so that people would pray for him and get in touch with him if they needed to. I thought that was nice. When someone is sick, or born, or whatever, it's just not always possible to go through your phone book and call everyone and word doesn't always get around, so I think the letters are nice for those types of announcements.

offwego
11-29-2007, 02:22 PM
I like the first one better but they would both be fine.

RenDuran
11-29-2007, 03:45 PM
TikiGoddess, I'm digging that second letter! :)

DizNee143
11-29-2007, 04:20 PM
the second one..

Dixie Springs
11-29-2007, 07:43 PM
Nothing wrong with your letter - just a note on the original question of holiday letters in general:

We call them 'brag-o-grams'. Your letter is fine, but the typical ones we receive contain everything from cheerleading photos, to 'junior has been accepted at highbrow university', to 'here we are in Fiji again', etc. Recipients are either envious or apathetic. Either way, they probably would have preferred a personal note. IMHO

Mousefever
11-30-2007, 11:35 AM
I really enjoy receiving these letters. I have family and friends all over the country. I would love to chat with them all once a month and catch up, but that just doesn't happen. I send holiday letters out about once every three years. I almost always include a hand written note and/or picture in Christmas cards, unless the recipient lives in town. I can't tell you how boring it is to receive a card with no picture, note, or letter. I still appreciate the card, but I often thirst for information!

I think that in the five years since my mom died, I've taken on more responsibility when it comes to keeping in touch with people. I especially try to include the people that were important to her, but that I may have barely known. Perhaps they throw my card or letter directly into the trash, but I like to think that these people like to hold onto a little piece of her through my correspondence.

Kathy, I think both your letters are great, but I like the second one the best. It shows more of your personality and sense of humor.

:dory:

TheDuckRocks
11-30-2007, 11:50 AM
I like the second one better.

Momof2boys
11-30-2007, 12:04 PM
I wrote one a few years ago - more of an update because of some things we had been going thru.

I always wanted to do a sarcastic one for humor, but I've become too lazy.

BTW - I like the 2nd one as well :)

tinksmom02
11-30-2007, 10:40 PM
I like the second one better...more personal.

We've only gotten a couple of letters, mostly from one couple before they had kids...one of DH's good friends from HS and his wife, who've moved out of state. He and DH keep in touch, but not in the same way that they did when they were both in the same area, you know?

I've never sent one, mostly because my life is never interesting enough to fill a whole page, and everyone already knows the important stuff anyway (eg we got married, we had a kid, etc.)

Big fan of photo cards, though!

RenDuran
12-01-2007, 12:20 PM
Big fan of photo cards, though!

Me too! I love seeing how everyone's kids grow from year to year!

This thread made me pull out all the holiday letters we had gotten last year. I had fun this morning reading them all.

Magic Smiles
12-02-2007, 08:37 AM
I love to receive holiday letters. With our busy lives this is the only way that I manage to stay in touch with a few of my older long distance friends. It doesn't bother me if they brag. I am happy for them that they are doing so well in their lives. Believe me their lives are not always perfect, but why mention all the bad things in a holiday letter.

alphamommy
12-02-2007, 07:45 PM
TikiGoddess - I love the line about the German Shepherd puppy who does not like to wear hats!

Overall, I'm not nuts about holiday letters. We only get a few. One of my cousin's has his oldest daughter write theirs, and it's great - it's funny, appropriately sarcastic, and informative. I really enjoy it.

The other two families who generally send them are not so great. Both are very braggy, especially the one that's formatted as a newspaper. There is an "article" written by Mom on the whole family, then one for each child, again written by Mom, but written in first person as if the child were writing it ("I really enjoyed being born this year!"). This one gives us quite a laugh each year.

The closest I've ever come to writing one has been a very small note (quarter of a 8.5 X 11 page) in the years when I've been very sick, we've moved, etc. These only go to the people that we rarely or never see (relatives and friends who live far away, etc.). Last year, I had been very ill, so the note was an update on my condition. This year, I might do one telling everyone that I'm much better. There would only be a few people I would send it to (those who I don't e-mail with, etc.).

EPCOT84
12-02-2007, 09:49 PM
I don't mind holiday letters...so long as they're not braggy!

Aren't they all ? :blush:

Crystal Palace
12-03-2007, 11:12 AM
Oh, they're O.K. When you're my age, it's kind of fun to see the pictures of kids that I used to diaper.;)

Yeah, some of the letters are a "little" annoying. I'd rather read anything you guys write online about your frustrating relatives, annoying rashes, and how to get cat pee out of your mattresses - you know, REALLY interesting stuff.

HAHA my parents had a couple who sent letters just like that. Brag brag brag! It got so annyoing!

Aggie97
12-05-2007, 12:53 PM
We get a number of Christmas letters each year... I've moved around a lot my whole life, though, so I don't live anywhere near friends and family. I don't mind some people's letters if they aren't too boastful, but it has always driven me NUTS that so many people write their letters in the third person... who is supposed to be writing the letter -- a reporter?! :)

tyandskyesmom
12-07-2007, 12:46 PM
I don't get it!

If "bragging" is telling my family and friends about the good things that have happened in the past year then I say GO FOR IT! We get a couple of them and I try to send them every year. I don't want to read or write one about bad things (which does not mean that is something bad has happened I would not write or read about it) and if everything is exactly the same as last year (meaning I have taken out the bad stuff and excluded the good) then why send one at all? I mean does anyone want to hear (or do I want to write) about my husband being laid off for tha past almost two months? Or about Tyler getting in trouble at school (not that I would not mention about his rambunxious behavior)? NO! I send out between 75 and 100 cards at Christmas time...to relatives, friends, and old acquaintenances that I don't generally see very often and they are spread from England to Japan to California to Ohio to Maryland to Texas. Some of them know everything that goes on in our lives but most do not. Even with the ones we see often, a lot of that information I would put )or "brag" about is not something that is discussed in everyday conversation. So if I write about Tyler scoring better than 92% of third graders in the nation on a reading test or the tackles/sacks he made this year in football...or our last and upcoming Disney trips...or my work moving to a new location...or purchasing a new car or home or other large purchase...or even if I choose to let you in on Lou's employment situation...that is our reality. I send cards/letters out to people that I would like to keep in touch with, it does not mean I see you every day or that I have even possibly seen you in the last 3 years...but it means that I thought about you and would like you to know about our lives. If you don't what to read them, then don't...but I am making the effort to reach out to you and to in one small way keep you in my life.

Happy Holidays all!

mrsgaribaldi
12-08-2007, 09:52 AM
My feeling is, and this is just my opinion, if you were friends with the people you would probably be telling them the things you are going to write about it the letter. If you haven't told them anything all year, they probably don't care to know them anyway.

Mousefever
12-08-2007, 11:52 AM
My feeling is, and this is just my opinion, if you were friends with the people you would probably be telling them the things you are going to write about it the letter. If you haven't told them anything all year, they probably don't care to know them anyway.

I respectfully disagree, although I'm not discounting that this is the way you feel. There are plenty of people I don't speak to every year, especially friends of my parents. But that doesn't mean that I don't like to know how they or their kids are doing. Even if I'm not in close contact with those people anymore, they were an important part of my past, and I still care about them.

Even if I am in touch with people a few times a year, their Christmas letter often gives me information that I didn't know.
Amy

:dory: