PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Gift Ideas for Dad?

J9
11-27-2007, 10:12 PM
My brother and I are at a loss for what to get my dad for Christmas and I'm hoping some of you might have some ideas.

He's a 56 year old lawyer (if that helps at all). He does love Sci-Fi. In the past we've gotten him like every season of 24, Firefly and the Office. We could get him the next season of 24 or the Office, but we've been gifting him tv shows for years now since we couldn't think of anything else and we want to try something new. He does also enjoy tech gadget type of things.

So any of you dads out there or people that like similar things, what would YOU want for Christmas? (And if you say nothing, then you are EXACTLY like my dad! :drama: )

sgundell
11-28-2007, 12:20 AM
The best gift I ever got my dad for Christmas was the "box of happiness."

I decorated a cardboard banker's box with copies of favorite family photos. Then I filled it with all of his favorite things -- fruit loops, oreoes, virginia peanuts, peanut brittle, etc. Not one individual item was very extravagent, but he loved it all. He had an immediate stash of his favorite indulgences -- plus a nifty box to keep important papers in.

Jenemmy
11-28-2007, 07:52 AM
Do you have a Brookstone store in your local mall? If not, check them out on line. They have the most unusual, gadgety type things in all price ranges. If all else fails, I can always find something in there for my Dad.

I know all the digital picture frames are a big deal this year. You can find them in key chain form and just yesterday I saw a digital frame that was the size of a credit card that was designed to slide right in the wallet in place of a stack of paper pictures. I thought that was cool.

Typically, I leave all the Dad type gifts up to my husband -- but those are a couple of thoughts! Good luck :mickey:

BigRedDad
11-28-2007, 09:05 AM
As a dad of a 2yo, all I want is for her to be happy. My wife keeps asking for ideas. Since I sold a bunch of junk, I made enough to get a home theater system. I told her specifically which DVDs to buy me (the ones that knock the dishes off the wall from explosions).

Since he is a tech guy, there are a bunch of things out. You can go to Brookstone or Sharper Image for ideas. One thing I asked for were the dual remote controlled helicopters. They are fun to screw around with in the house. I am 37 and have a blast playing with them. XBox 360, Playstation 3 (dual use as a BD player).

There are a lot of things you can get. It depends on how much you want to spend and what he is really into.

Ian
11-28-2007, 09:41 AM
You can find them in key chain form and just yesterday I saw a digital frame that was the size of a credit card that was designed to slide right in the wallet in place of a stack of paper pictures. I thought that was cool.I would love one of those. That would be one of the best gifts I've ever gotten.

I'm one of those annoying Dads who tends to buy himself presents throughout the year. This may shock some of you, but I'm not a patient person. ;)

MsMin
11-28-2007, 10:06 AM
I want one of those digital frames. I'm considering one for my mom. I got my dad some artwork (school of copper fish). He got a condo in Orange beach so I am helping him decorate. I know it doesn't help but I'm also painting a watercolor of a cockatoo that I painted a long time ago. (I'm still just like the little kid making presents) but at least now I can frame it:D
But what are his loves?
I want to make some small stepping stones (as grave markers) for my moms garden for her dogs that she's buried there. Point being -- something that means something to them and have trouble buying themselves.
I too am tired of buying DVD's.
My son did a wishlist on Amazon and I just love it.

offwego
11-28-2007, 10:49 AM
. This may shock some of you, but I'm not a patient person. ;)

No Ian I just can't believe that!

My step-dad is a big challenge so I hear you. What about fave wine/scotch etc that he might not get himself? Or a cooking lesson or similiar that he may not sign himself up for?

Another good one is things like a new briefcase/pen set etc for use at the office.

thrillme
12-10-2007, 04:10 PM
Every two years I can buy my Dad a SeaWorld pass because he loves going unfortunately this is one of those "in between" years. I'm a little strapped this year so I really can't afford the "big dolla" stuff so I'm totally CLUELESS.

I'm kinda thinking about a GIANT remote so that he doesn't lose it. Lots of high tech stuff he has not interest in since he's 75. He doesn't really want "junk" because he just got rid of a bunch of stuff, but he IS getting a singing squirrel that sings I'm gettin nuttin' for Christmas...he sometimes likes to grow tomatos and the squirrels really "appreciate" his best red ones...so there's always a private little war that goes on....something like out of a cartoon.

Disney Doll
12-11-2007, 03:03 PM
This year we bought my dad a digital photo frame. His first grandson just arrived in October and he loves having photos in his office. This way he can have several photos without the clutter.

Terra
12-11-2007, 04:53 PM
Hmmm...Sci-Fi fan huh?? Has he seen/heard of or interested in watching "The 4400" ? It's a good Sci Fi series...we are renting it season by season off of netflix...you could look into maybe getting him the first season of that.

Or is he/was he an X File fan? How about the first season of that?

Does he like:beer: ??
I saw a really neat gift idea I'm actually going to get my DH...It's a "Beers from around the world" set with 12 beers from all over in a nice wooden carrying case. It's 19.00 at my local grocery store...so you could check that out!

Have fun!!

AuntDJ
12-11-2007, 07:50 PM
One year I bought my dad a small generator type thing...it plugs into the wall plug, then when the lights go out, it supposed to be able to power a radio and small light for up to three days...

the lights went out last year and he plugged up a fan to it and it kept them cool...

Tinkermom
12-12-2007, 09:30 AM
I got my dad (and mom) a digital picture frame. The one I got them also has speakers and can play MP3 music. It also can play videos. We are going to pre-load the frame with photos of the kids as well as a couple of videos of them. :thumbsup:

Miss Mouse
12-18-2007, 04:21 AM
Sounds like great minds think alike - I bought a digital picture frame for my parents, too!

I'm in the process of uploading a bunch of pictures to a memory card so that the work will all be done for them!

I think it's a great gift, and I'd love one for myself. :thumbsup: