PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland - Secrets, Stories & Magic DVD

MegaDisney
11-27-2007, 05:24 PM
This DVD is finally being released on Dec 11, 2007.

I know what I want for Christmas!

Review from Amazon:

Originally conceived as a fiftieth anniversary tribute to Disneyland, this 332-minute DVD set celebrates Walt Disney's vision and drive in imagining, building, and marketing America's first-ever theme park. This compilation offers fascinating insight into Walt Disney's enormous undertaking through the documentary "The Secrets, Stories, and Magic of Disneyland," the retrospective "Operation Disneyland," three episodes from "The Wonderful World of Color" television series, one "People and Places" episode, and a collection of historical time-lapse construction footage from Disneyland in Anaheim, California. Leonard Maltin and Julie Andrews provide an introduction to the 80-minute "Secrets, Stories, and Magic" which details Walt Disney's initial vision for Disneyland, considered to be "Walt's Folly" by many Disney Studio employees, and the various stages of the park's planning and construction culminating in its grand opening on July 17, 1955. Extensive new and vintage footage address virtually every aspect of the conception and realization of Disneyland from the original site plan and concept art to the tight construction schedule, logistical problems during construction and on opening day, the development of new enhanced motion vehicle technology for the rides, and the shelved ideas that make up the "Disneyland that never was." Extensive interview footage includes Walt Disney, George Lucas, Roy Disney, artist Herb Ryman, retired president of Disneyland Jack Lindquist, composer Richard Sherman, and many others. After an interactive Disneyland trivia game that's none-to-easy even in the beginner mode, it's on to a restored version of the 1956 "People and Places: Disneyland USA" episode which highlights Walt Disney's goal that Disneyland serve as a place of enlightenment, happiness, and the pursuit of fun and takes viewers on a slow-paced exploration of the five areas of Disneyland. Modern audiences might be inclined to condemn this particular feature as a 42-minute-long Disneyland commercial, but in 1956 it functioned more as an exploration of a distant place that many around the world had never had the opportunity to visit.
Disc two begins with "Operation Disneyland," a 14-minute black and white documentary produced for ABC closed circuit television which looks at the technical aspects of broadcasting the opening ceremonies of Disneyland on live television. Never intended for public viewing, the program offers an interesting and historically valuable look back at the mechanics of live television in the 1950's. Next are three episodes of Walt Disney's weekly program "The Wonderful World of Color." "The Golden Horseshoe Revue" features the 10,000th vaudeville-inspired performance at Disneyland's The Golden Horseshoe Saloon with Betty Taylor, Wally Boag, Gene Sheldon, Ed Wynn, and former Mickey Mouse Club Mouseketeer Annette Funicello. "Disneyland Goes to the World's Fair" details Disney's contributions to the New York World's Fair of 1964-1965 including the creation of "It's A Small World" for UNICEF, "Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln," and the "Primeval World" audio-animatronic dinosaurs currently on exhibit in the Disneyland Railroad. "Disneyland Around the Seasons" celebrates Disneyland's 11th year with a look at special holiday programming at Disneyland. Finally, footage from several time-lapse cameras scattered throughout Disneyland during the park's construction is presented with narration by Tony Baxter from Disney Imagineering, and Ed Hobbleman and Walter Magnuson from the Disney Studio Inventory Group. Just about everything one could ever want to know about the history of Disneyland is right here in this thorough Disney collection.

Special Features:

"Disneyland: Secrets, Stories and Magic”: A revealing new documentary which includes archival footage, commentary from Walt himself and new interviews
“People and Places: Disneyland U.S.A.”: Released just one year after the Disneyland opening, this is one of the park’s first cinematic tours presented in Cinemascope and Technicolor with a newly restored 5.1 audio track.
“The Golden Horseshoe Revue,” “Disneyland Goes To The Worlds Fair” and “Disneyland Around The Seasons”: three original “Disneyland TV” broadcasts
“Operation Disneyland”: a closed-circuit piece made for ABC TV affiliates that illustrates the gigantic challenge of the park’s 1955 opening day live broadcast This internal broadcast has never been seen by the public before.
”Building Walt’s Dream: Disneyland Under Construction”: Also never-before-seen and showcasing color time-lapse footage of the construction of Disneyland. Features illuminating audio commentary from Disney Imagineer Tony Baxter.
“A Wonderful World of Disneyland” Trivia Game and Still Frame Gallery

Melanie
11-27-2007, 05:28 PM
Happy Birthday to me! I've been waiting for this DVD for what seems like years. Thanks for the info, Bryant. :thumbsup:

EPCOT84
11-27-2007, 07:07 PM
Yes Yes ! :mickey: :santa3:

tinkwest
11-27-2007, 11:30 PM
I definitely have this at the top of my Christmas list.

NotaGeek
11-27-2007, 11:35 PM
Cool, can I borrow it when you get it Bryant? :mickey:

ChipDale
11-30-2007, 01:08 PM
I pre-ordered mine a while ago. Can't wait to watch it! :thumbsup:

Marla
12-01-2007, 05:49 PM
It's time to write a new Christmas list! Could we be so lucky to get movie reward codes too?!:tink:

Melanie
12-11-2007, 08:14 PM
Anyone get a copy of this today? :tink:

2Epcot
12-11-2007, 09:33 PM
It's time to write a new Christmas list!

I was thinking the same thing ... I will have to add this to my list.

BklynChick
12-14-2007, 11:02 PM
I got my copy today! I had tried my local Circuit City but no luck...then I was in the city today and found it at the Virgin Megastore in Union Square. So far all the reviews I've been reading seem to indicate it was worth the wait.

ChipnDaleGal
12-20-2007, 07:47 PM
I picked up a copy at Sam's Club this weekend. Hopefully I can set some time aside over the holidays to give it a look. :mickey:

Melanie
12-26-2007, 11:02 PM
My one present I didn't receive in time for Christmas from my in-laws are the Treasures. Hopefully any day now, cause I can't wait to watch! :tink:

SPCMT
01-03-2008, 02:35 PM
It's time to write a new Christmas list! Could we be so lucky to get movie reward codes too?!:tink:

In answer to your question, yes you get 125 points for the Disney rewards program. More than the usual 100 for DVD's

MegaDisney
01-04-2008, 10:40 PM
Got mine today! (Thanks Mom!)

Will be watching it tonight after work or tomorrow with NotaGeek.

I will let you guys know what I think!

Melanie
01-05-2008, 04:17 AM
I received mine as well today (finally) and watched the "main feature" with my oldest son. We loved it!

Great old footage and the interviews with Tony Baxter, X Atencio, Dick Nunis, etc. were great.

And I laughed out loud at John Lasseter's Jungle Cruise joke. :funny:

I can't wait to watch the rest of the features. :thumbsup:

Marilyn Michetti
01-05-2008, 08:38 PM
I got one at Sam's also. It's terrific - you won't believe some of the "out-take" stuff.

I don't know what Amazon is charging, but Sam's was $21.95.:)

Melanie
01-06-2008, 06:56 AM
I finished the first disc today. The 'People and Places' episode was great, especially for someone who never visited Disneyland before California Adventure was in existence. The aerial views at the beginning were incredible!

tinkwest
01-06-2008, 01:10 PM
I finished the first disc today. The 'People and Places' episode was great, especially for someone who never visited Disneyland before California Adventure was in existence. The aerial views at the beginning were incredible!

I just finished the first disc also. I especially liked the 'People and Places' episode with commentary by Leonard Maltin & Tony Baxter.

Melanie
01-06-2008, 04:10 PM
I just finished the first disc also. I especially liked the 'People and Places' episode with commentary by Leonard Maltin & Tony Baxter.

Okay, I need to go back and watch with their commentary. I bet that's super interesting!

Tinkerbella
01-06-2008, 08:49 PM
I bought this for the family for Christmas and finally watched part of it yesterday. :thumbsup:

Man that advanced trivia game is difficult! Anybody else think so? Hahaha, I can't stand the narrator on that game when you get a question wrong "I will see you back on Main St". Is it just me or does the way he says it sound sort of threatening? :thedolls: Lol

SPCMT
01-07-2008, 01:35 AM
"I will see you on Main Street"
"You are the weakest link, Goodbye."

Ha they do sound familiar...he does sound a little threatening but I still like it and yes the advanced trivia does have its share of difficult questions :mickey:

Melanie
01-07-2008, 02:00 AM
I can't stand the narrator on that game when you get a question wrong "I will see you back on Main St". Is it just me or does the way he says it sound sort of threatening? :thedolls: Lol

I told my son I felt like I was being sent to time out. :D

MegaDisney
01-07-2008, 05:08 PM
I have been enjoying the set very much!

A couple of observations:

The "Disneyland goes to the Worlds Fair" episode is cool, but after seeing the ride through of the attraction at the fair, I wonder what happened to all the AA's. I saw MANY that do not exist in the DLR attraction. What happened to them, and can we expect that it will be returned to its former glory during this extended rehab?

The time lapse with commentary in the bonus features is cool! Love the moving Gazebo and can't wait to find the original Palm tree near the entrance to the Indy FastPass distribution.

Will check out more of it tonight! :mickey: