PDA

View Full Version : Any advice for doing laundry at the Poly?

MicMouse
11-27-2007, 10:00 AM
I am thinking about packing less and doing a load of laundry during our week long stay this summer.

Any advice on doing laundry at the Poly?

How much does it cost and when is the best time to do it (as if there is a good time while on vacation!)

BigRedDad
11-27-2007, 10:55 AM
I am not sure about Poly specifically, but I am an early riser (2AM-3AM every night). I do know when traveling that the laundry facilities are vacant at that time. You can use multiple washers and dryers so it only takes the time of one load.

Taja
11-27-2007, 12:03 PM
Cost: $2 per washer load and $2 per 30 minutes of drying time. As of March, 2007. Edited to add: Jeans and other heavy items usually require more than 30 minutes. Also, check the temperature control. Most people put it on hot--which will incinerate delicate fabrics.

Worst time to do laundry: Immediately after park closing. Make it 15 minutes earlier and you're good to go! :thumbsup:

I usually do my laundry early morning or late night, regardless of the resort. It seems quietest then.

MississippiDisneyFreak
11-27-2007, 12:35 PM
I am thinking about packing less and doing a load of laundry during our week long stay this summer.

Any advice on doing laundry at the Poly?

How much does it cost and when is the best time to do it (as if there is a good time while on vacation!)
:)We always drive and so must minimize luggage and I have done laundry at All Star Movies and Coronado Springs. I usually do laundry after we leave one of the smaller parks (Animal Kingdom or MGM) and eat dinner so its usually 830 or 9 pm...There was hardly anyone at the All Stars Laundry but Coronado was pretty steady. If you are only using 1-2 washers you shouldn't have a problem. I wanted to do 4 loads at one time and had to wait about 20 minutes for a 4th washer, but otherwise it wasn't too bad. Like one other person said you sometimes have to use more time for heavier items, so cost depends on size of load. The price is 2.00 for a wash and 2.00 for dryer although you can add time at 25 or 50 cents depending on how much more you time you need. Just a tip, depending on where your room is you may have a long walk...you may want to bring a roller laundry bag or something easy to carry. Bring a small bottle of your own laundry detergent because their vending machines are expensive and often do not work. I found the maintenance at All Stars far exceeded CS.

DisneyorBust
11-27-2007, 03:07 PM
We normally go to the laundry, place a load or two into the washer and then hit the pool! We the go back put everything into the dryers and return to swimming.
Taja has some good advice in regards to the temp. settings, the can get mighty hot.
Also, we pack laundry detergent and dryer sheets with us. Discount stores usually have small 4 load or so per bottle and we just double zip-lock bag them and place them into our checked luggage. The resort prices are pretty high.

SBETigg
11-27-2007, 03:31 PM
Yes, if you buy detergent there, I think you get a box of Tide that will do one load for a dollar (or maybe it was more, I don't recall), so it adds to the cost. If you don't pack quarters, you can get them at Captain Cook's. The afternoons are quiet, and you can hit the pool between loads as someone else suggested.

The Poly has one big laundry room with enough washers and dryers provided you are there at an off hour. There's also a lounge where you can sit and watch TV while you wait if you don't want to leave your things.

Tinkerfreak
11-27-2007, 03:35 PM
As was mentioned before sometimes you can be quite a walk away from the laundry room so I usually pack a couple of garbage bags to place the dirty laundry in, then I put it all in a couple of our suitcases because they have rollers and I just roll it to the laundry room. Then when it is done I just toss the trash bags and put the clean laundry back in the suitcases and roll it on back to the room.
One thing that really bugged me on our last trip was that someone had put 4 or 5 loads of laundry in the washers and just left it. I have no problem with someone going to the pool while it is washing but this person left it in the machine for almost 2 hours. I could only do a couple of loads instead of the four I needed to so it took twice as long for me to do the laundry. Please be considerate of other guests and don't leave your laundry in the machine for long periods of time. When the security guard came in I mentioned it to him and he said "I can't tell you to do it but alot of people take the laundry out and put it on the table". I would never touch someone elses laundry so I did not do that but I guess alot of people do.

MicMouse
11-28-2007, 10:12 AM
Thanks everyone!

It always seems like I pack way more than I need, and usually end up wearing a few things over again anyway, so I think doing laundry is a definite.

Does the Poly offer a laundry service thru Mousekeeping? Has anyone ever let someone else do their wash?

SBETigg
11-28-2007, 11:32 AM
One thing that really bugged me on our last trip was that someone had put 4 or 5 loads of laundry in the washers and just left it. I have no problem with someone going to the pool while it is washing but this person left it in the machine for almost 2 hours. I could only do a couple of loads instead of the four I needed to so it took twice as long for me to do the laundry. Please be considerate of other guests and don't leave your laundry in the machine for long periods of time. When the security guard came in I mentioned it to him and he said "I can't tell you to do it but alot of people take the laundry out and put it on the table". I would never touch someone elses laundry so I did not do that but I guess alot of people do.

I'm with you that I wouldn't normally touch someone else's laundry, but in college it was fair game if someone left their load in and forgot it. That's why they have big tables in laundry rooms. If you leave it and hog washers in a public laundry area, expect it to happen. It's fair use. The same person who leaves it in will be the one to complain that someone moved their stuff, but that's the way it works.

Taja
11-28-2007, 12:35 PM
Thanks everyone!

It always seems like I pack way more than I need, and usually end up wearing a few things over again anyway, so I think doing laundry is a definite.

Does the Poly offer a laundry service thru Mousekeeping? Has anyone ever let someone else do their wash?

The deluxe resorts offer valet service--laundry and dry cleaning by the piece. The last time I looked a the prices out of curiosity was December 2004. A pair of men's brieft was $2 or $2.25. A bit pricey for me, but it can be a good value if you have emergency dry cleaning or pressing needs. Still expensive, but an alternative to going off site.

wedway76
11-28-2007, 01:12 PM
The deluxe resorts offer valet service--laundry and dry cleaning by the piece. The last time I looked a the prices out of curiosity was December 2004. A pair of men's brieft was $2 or $2.25. A bit pricey for me, but it can be a good value if you have emergency dry cleaning or pressing needs. Still expensive, but an alternative to going off site.

My briefs aren't even worth $2.00 :secret: At that price I would bring extra and throw them away then I'm done. :eek2: