PDA

View Full Version : Internet or Wi/Fi?

101pup
11-26-2007, 02:04 PM
We are staying at SSR Villas in December and I was wondering if I can bring my laptop? You are probably wondering why on earth would I want to bring my laptop to Disney World, but my son is in Iraq and that is about the only way I can communicate with him via IM myspace. Thanks!

dlpmikki
11-26-2007, 02:24 PM
You can get internet access via an ethernet cable (that Disney provide). It costs $10 for each 24 hour period.

Zippy_D_DooDah
11-26-2007, 02:42 PM
Believe it or not, my wife and I have both done "work" from DW while on vacation *gasp* (Oh the horror)... sometimes you just can't get away. I've hooked the laptop up at SSR and OKW. I have even used the wifi at the Contemporary several years ago. One thing that I noticed was that the internet access was down for several hours at a time (when we were there last February) a few days that we paid the $10. It was a little frustrating to say the least, but we needed to be hooked to the internet.

Horizon93
11-26-2007, 05:40 PM
I always have my laptop with me when I am at WDW. I need it for work and to visit Intercot!

JPL
11-26-2007, 08:50 PM
I have to say the $10 a day is really greedy on Disney's part. I am staying at an off-site hotel for a conference and it is much cheaper than any Hotel at WDW and they offer free internet.
When travelling with my firend in the summer we stay at a Motel 6 with free internet.

Horizon93
11-26-2007, 09:57 PM
It is very pricey, but at the Swan/Dolphin it is $14 per 24 hours. It will be awfully hard for Disney to give up this cash cow. I don't see it changing,

dolphinmickey9170
11-26-2007, 11:05 PM
In May we used the internet from our SSR room. Just know that you MUST have charge capabilities on your room key in order to purchase the internet. So, be sure to give a credit card when you check in for charging stuff, such as the internet. Or just take your laptop to GF lobby, they have free wireless internet, I heard this from a friend who stayed there recently.

101pup
11-27-2007, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it!

JPL
11-27-2007, 09:41 AM
It is very pricey, but at the Swan/Dolphin it is $14 per 24 hours. It will be awfully hard for Disney to give up this cash cow. I don't see it changing,

The only reason the Swan and Dolphin is because Disney is charging if Disney went free internet they would follow suit. What makes me laugh about the whole thing is when it means more money for Disney they say they are aligning to industry standards but here they are ignoring them :rolleyes:

CantonMichigan
11-28-2007, 11:20 PM
You can always do the old fashioned dial up, which is what I'm using right now from BWV. Sure, it's slow, but I'm in a slow kind of pace here anyway.

(And in a surprising turn of events, local calls are free now. I think they were 75 cents per call in the past.)

Horizon93
11-29-2007, 10:47 AM
You can always do the old fashioned dial up, which is what I'm using right now from BWV. Sure, it's slow, but I'm in a slow kind of pace here anyway.

(And in a surprising turn of events, local calls are free now. I think they were 75 cents per call in the past.)

Triw, but you need a dial up account. I yse verizon DSL at home but would have to pay extra for a dial up connection.