PDA

View Full Version : Redskins' Taylor Shot In His Home

Ian
11-26-2007, 11:36 AM
Pro Bowl Safety In Critical Condition In Florida Hospital

ASHBURN, Va. (AP) -- Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor was in critical condition after he was shot at his Florida home Monday, police said.

Miami-Dade County police officers were dispatched to Taylor's home at about 1:45 a.m. and found him shot. He was then airlifted to Jackson Memorial Hospital, police Detective Alvaro Zabaleta said. He didn't know where Taylor was injured.

A brief statement from the Redskins said Taylor was undergoing treatment at the Miami hospital and that police were investigating. His family has asked that no information about his condition be released at this point, said hospital spokeswoman Lorraine Nelson.

Taylor has a home in the Miami suburb of Palmetto Bay that he bought for $900,000 two years ago.

Taylor, 24, is in his fourth season with the Redskins after playing at the University of Miami, where he was an All-American in 2003. He leads the team with five interceptions but has missed the last two games with a knee injury. The Redskins lost 19-13 to the Buccaneers in Tampa on Sunday.

Although extremely talented, Taylor has been in trouble -- on and off the field -- numerous times since he was drafted with the No. 5 overall pick out of Miami in 2004. He has been fined at least seven times during his professional career for late hits and other infractions, including a $17,000 penalty for spitting in the face of Tampa Bay running back Michael Pittman during a playoff game in January 2006. He was also fined $25,000 for skipping a mandatory rookie symposium shortly after he was drafted.

In 2005, Taylor was accused of brandishing a gun at a man and repeatedly hitting him during a fight that broke out after Taylor and some friends went looking for the people who had allegedly stolen his all-terrain vehicles.

Taylor reached a deal with prosecutors last year after they agreed to drop felony charges against him. He pleaded no contest to two misdemeanors in the assault case and was sentenced to 18 months probation. The pleas prompted another fine from the NFL but kept his football career intact.

He was also ordered to talk about the importance of education at 10 Miami schools and had to contribute $1,000 for scholarships to each of those schools.

The man Taylor allegedly hit, Ryan Hill, also sued, seeking at least $15,000 in damages. Hill suffered bruising to his body, incurred medical expenses and lost wages because of the fight, the lawsuit said.

Through it all, Redskins coaches and players have defended Taylor, saying he was smart and misunderstood. Taylor has been slow let anyone into his inner circle -- he has rarely spoken to reporters because he does not trust them -- but teammates said he became more mature over the last year after he became a father for the first time.

Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved.

kakn7294
11-26-2007, 12:13 PM
Wow, I hadn't heard this yet! What a shame! I know that this is going to sound wrong because it's never right to shoot someone (unless in self defense), but it sounds like he brought it on himself with all the trouble he's been in. I hope he will be alright and learn something from this.

ibrowse17
11-26-2007, 12:18 PM
What can you say?? I really hope he will be ok, but trouble follows people for a reason.

Ian
11-26-2007, 01:35 PM
Agreed.

I mean I will never condone anyone shooting someone else, obviously, but I do believe that people put themselves in positions sometimes where it becomes a lot more likely that they'll be a victim of violent crime.

Not only that, but sometimes it's hard to feel sympathy for these millionaires who still, for some inexplicable reason, feel the need to continue to act like thugs.

goofhook
11-26-2007, 03:40 PM
Well, I'd like to send him lots of pixie dust, because he is still fighting for his life. And in my opinion, he is one of the most exciting defensive players, and the most important player on the Redskins defense.:pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:

Epc0tphr34k
11-27-2007, 06:47 AM
just red this morning that according to a friend Sean has passed on. my condolences to his family and his little girl.

MIAMI -- ashington Redskins safety Sean Taylor has died, a day after he was shot at home, said family friend Richard Sharpstein.

He said Taylor's father called him around 5:30 a.m. to tell him the news.

"His father called and said he was with Christ and he cried and thanked me," said Sharpstein, Taylor's former lawyer. "It's a tremendously sad and unnecessary event. He was a wonderful, humble, talented young man, and had a huge life in front of him. Obviously God had other plans."

He said he did not know exactly when Taylor died.

Doctors had been encouraged late Monday night when Taylor squeezed a nurse's hand. But Sharpstein said he was told Taylor never regained consciousness after being transported to the hospital and that he wasn't sure how he had squeezed the nurse's hand.

"Maybe he was trying to say goodbye or something," Sharpstein said.

The 24-year-old Redskins safety was shot early Monday in the upper leg, damaging an artery and causing significant blood loss.

Miami-Dade Police were investigating the attack, which came just eight days after an intruder was reported at Taylor's home. Officers were dispatched about 1:45 a.m. Monday after Taylor's girlfriend called 911. Taylor was airlifted to the hospital.

Sharpstein said Taylor's girlfriend told him the couple was awakened by loud noises, and Taylor grabbed a machete he keeps in the bedroom for protection. Someone then broke through the bedroom door and fired two shots, one missing and one hitting Taylor, Sharpstein said. Taylor's 1-year-old daughter, Jackie, was also in the house at the time, but neither she nor Taylor's girlfriend were injured.

"It could have been a possible burglary; it could have been a possible robbery," Miami-Dade Police Lt. Nancy Perez said. "It has not been confirmed as yet."

Taylor was shot at the pale yellow house he bought two years ago in the Miami suburb of Palmetto Bay. It came about a week after someone pried open a front window, rifled through drawers and left a kitchen knife on a bed at Taylor's home, according to police.

"They're really sifting through that incident and today's incident," Miami-Dade Police Detective Mario Rachid said, "to see if there's any correlation."

Taylor starred as a running back and defensive back at Gulliver Preparatory School in Miami. His father, Pedro Taylor, is the police chief of Florida City, Fla.

Teammates and coaches often have portrayed Taylor as misunderstood, and that much was true. A private man with a small inner circle, Taylor became distrustful of reporters and anyone else he didn't know well. He rarely granted interviews, sometimes declining with a smile and a handshake and sometimes with a snarl that said: "Get out of my way."

But, behind the scenes, Taylor was described as personable and smart _ an emerging locker room leader.

Especially since the birth of his daughter Jackie.

"From the first day I met him, from then to now, it's just like night and day," Redskins receiver James Thrash said. "He's really got his head on his shoulders and has been doing really well as far as just being a man. It's been awesome to see that growth."

An All-American at the University of Miami, Taylor was drafted by the Redskins with the fifth overall selection in 2004. Coach Joe Gibbs called it "one of the most researched things" he's ever done, but the problems soon began. Taylor fired his agent, then skipped part of the NFL's mandatory rookie symposium, drawing a $25,000 fine. Driving home late from a party during the season, he was pulled over and charged with drunken driving. The case was dismissed in court, but by then it had become a months-long distraction for the team.

Taylor was also fined at least seven times for late hits, uniform violations and other infractions over his first three seasons, including a $17,000 penalty for spitting in the face of Tampa Bay running back Michael Pittman during a playoff game in January 2006.

Meanwhile, Taylor endured a yearlong legal battle after he was accused in 2005 of brandishing a gun at a man during a fight over allegedly stolen all-terrain vehicles near Taylor's home. He eventually pleaded no contest to two misdemeanors and was sentenced to 18 months' probation.

Taylor said the end of the assault case was like "a gray cloud" being lifted. It was also around the time that Jackie was born, and teammates noticed a change.

"It's hard to expect a man to grow up overnight," said Redskins teammate and close friend Clinton Portis, who also played with Taylor at the University of Miami. "But ever since he had his child, it was like a new Sean, and everybody around here knew it. He was always smiling, always happy, always talking about his child."

On the field, Taylor's play was often erratic. Assistant coach Gregg Williams frequently called Taylor the best athlete he's ever coached, but nearly every big play was mitigated by a blown assignment. Taylor led the NFL in missed tackles in 2006 yet made the Pro Bowl because of his reputation as one of the hardest hitters in the league.

This year, however, Taylor was allowed to play a true free safety position, using his speed and power to chase down passes and crush would-be receivers. His five interceptions tie for the league lead in the NFC, even though he missed the last two games because of a sprained knee. Teammates said he had overhauled his diet this year to include more fruit, fish and vegetables and less red meat.

"I just take this job very seriously," Taylor said in a rare group interview during training camp. "It's almost like, you play a kid's game for a king's ransom. And if you don't take it serious enough, eventually one day you're going to say, 'Oh, I could have done this, I could have done that.'

"So I just say, 'I'm healthy right now, I'm going into my fourth year, and why not do the best that I can?' And that's whatever it is, whether it's eating right or training myself right, whether it's studying harder, whatever I can do to better myself."

His hard work was well-noted.

"He loved football. He felt like that's what he was made to do," Gibbs said. "And I think what I've noticed over the last year and a half ... is he matured. I think his baby had a huge impact on him. There was a real growing up in his life."

Ian
11-27-2007, 08:02 AM
It's true ... he passed away last night. Very sad ... such a promising life just wasted. And his poor daughter will never know her Father.

Between this and that horrifying story about Baby Grace, I'm not feeling very optimistic about the state of affairs in our country these days.

I wish people would stop being such animals to each other.

kakn7294
11-27-2007, 08:51 AM
How terribly sad! I just read that same news article and they said he was really trying to turn his life around since his daughter was born.

RedheadWriter
11-27-2007, 08:56 AM
It's true ... he passed away last night. Very sad ... such a promising life just wasted. And his poor daughter will never know her Father.

Between this and that horrifying story about Baby Grace, I'm not feeling very optimistic about the state of affairs in our country these days.

I wish people would stop being such animals to each other.

Ian:
I couldn;t agree more with what you wrote!
Rachel

krorx
11-30-2007, 12:57 PM
We are going to the Redskins game Thursday against the Bills. I can't believe no. 21 won't be there. Yes, he had problems in his past but he was working to straighten his life out. He will be sorely missed. :(

Scar
11-30-2007, 04:04 PM
Three Detained in Sean Taylor Homicide

Friday, November 30, 2007
Associated Press

MIAMI — Police have detained at least three people in the Fort Myers area for questioning in the death of Washington Redskins star Sean Taylor.

A law enforcement official in Lee County confirmed the men from the Fort Myers area were in custody, but requested anonymity because the investigation is being handled by Miami-Dade County police.

Miami-Dade police Detective Carlos Maura said he was not aware of anyone in custody. He said only that detectives were in the Fort Myers area for a case, but declined to say which one.

The Miami Herald, which first reported the development on its Web site, said investigators believe three suspects learned of Taylor's house through someone who unwittingly set up the burglary by bragging about his wealth. The suspects include two teenagers and a man in his 20s, all from the Fort Myers area, the paper reported.

A telephone message left at the Florida City Police Department for the athlete's father, Chief Pedro Taylor, was not immediately returned.

Richard Sharpstein, a former Taylor lawyer and family friend, confirmed the law enforcement report.

"It's my understanding that three individuals are in custody. A house is being searched," Sharpstein said, without disclosing who had given him the information.

He repeated previous statements that the burglary did not appear to be random, and that the 24-year-old's house had been targeted.

Evidence at Taylor's home indicated one or more intruders barged into the house early Monday in an attempted burglary, Miami-Dade police director Robert Parker said Wednesday.

Taylor and longtime girlfriend, Jackie Garcia, were awakened by loud noises at Taylor's home in an affluent Miami suburb, Sharpstein has said. Taylor grabbed a machete he keeps in the bedroom for protection, Sharpstein said, then someone broke through the bedroom door and fired two shots, one missing and one hitting Taylor in the upper leg. Neither the couple's 18-month-old daughter, also named Jackie, nor Garcia were injured in the attack.

The bullet damaged the femoral artery in Taylor's leg, causing significant blood loss.

Taylor never regained consciousness and died a little more than 24 hours later.

A public viewing for Taylor is scheduled Sunday in Miami, and the entire Redskins organization plans to fly to Florida to attend Monday's funeral at Pharmed Arena at Florida International University.

sonayo74
12-01-2007, 07:34 AM
Looks like he didn't "bring it on himself" after all.

Jeff G
12-01-2007, 05:07 PM
The news reports over the past few days have disappointed me in regards to this case assuming that the arrests that were made are accurate. I have been really busy and didn't have a lot of time to follow this case close but the bits I caught from a couple of the major sports networks initially indicated how this may have been related to his past or he brought this on to himself. Hoodlums breaking into his house to rob him and then shooting him has nothing to do with Sean's past. Reporters and networks are so eager to report a story and get a leg up by throwing out unsubstantiated specualtion/reports is wrong. We've all made mistakes in our past, to say because of the mistakes Sean may have made led to him getting shot in his home is inexcusable.

My prayers go out to his family as they cope with this senseless act of violence.

Hammer
12-03-2007, 03:06 PM
Mourners Pay Respects to Sean Taylor

By STEVEN WINE, AP
Mon Dec 3, 1:31 PM EST
Thousands filled a university arena Monday for the funeral of Washington Redskins star Sean Taylor, with his coach praising his spirit and the Rev. Jesse Jackson asking for an end to violence.

The funeral comes a week after Taylor was shot in his home and days after four men were charged with killing him during the robbery. A lawyer for one of the suspects confirmed there was a fifth suspect.

Taylor's casket was surrounded by bouquets while a video display behind it showed Taylor from his days with the Redskins, Miami Hurricanes and high school.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said it had been a "sad week" for the league family.

"It's times like this that all of us struggle to find meaning in life," Goodell told the mourners. "The NFL was proud of Sean Taylor... He loved football and football loved him back. But more importantly, it was what he was as a man and what he was becoming as a man."

The Rev. Jesse Jackson sat with the athlete's father, Florida City police Chief Pedro Taylor, then took the podium and called for an end to violence.

"We are slow learners. We are in a hole looking for a shovel, when we need a rope," Jackson said.

Redskins coach Joe Gibbs spoke to Taylor's growing spirituality and his place in heaven.

"I think he's going to have 100-year football games," Gibbs said. "He had excitement for life and certainly he can still live forever. For me personally, I want to play on Sean's team."

Actor Andy Garcia was among the mourners. His niece, Jackie Garcia, was Taylor's girlfriend and was in the home when he was shot.

Former Hurricanes coaches Larry Coker and Butch Davis sat in the front row, along with current coach Randy Shannon. The Redskins organization filled one section of the building.

The remembrances for the 24-year-old player began Sunday night. Thousands paid respects at a wake at Second Baptist Church and at a vigil at the University of Miami.

Meanwhile, four young men charged with killing Taylor sat in jail cells on the other side of the state in Fort Myers. The suspects are expected to be transported to Miami after the funeral, said attorney Sawyer Smith, who is representing suspect Jason Mitchell, 19.

"Out of respect for the Taylor family, they're waiting for that to occur so that the arrival of these boys does not distract from the grief the Taylor family is suffering," Smith said.

Also charged are Eric Rivera, 17; Charles Wardlow, 18; and Venjah Hunte, 20. All face charges of unpremeditated murder, home invasion with a firearm or another deadly weapon and armed burglary.

Smith said there is a fifth suspect but declined to elaborate. Miami-Dade police spokesman Juan Villaba refused to confirm that.

Probable cause affidavits for Mitchell and Rivera obtained by The Associated Press said the two confessed to participating in armed burglary. According to the reports, Mitchell and Rivera admitted entering the home and said someone had a gun and shot Taylor, but they didn't identify who. Police and attorneys also have said some of the young men confessed, though they wouldn't elaborate.

Taylor died Nov. 27, one day after being shot at his home in an affluent Miami suburb. Police said the suspects were looking for a simple burglary, but it turned bloody when they were startled to find Taylor home.

The suspects all have prior arrests, according to police, including drug, theft and gun charges, though friends and family have defended them.

Police remain tightlipped about how the suspects wound up at Taylor's home. But his former attorney Richard Sharpstein said Taylor's sister was dating a relative of Wardlow and that one or more people tied to the suspects may have attended her 21st birthday party at the athlete's home.

Miami-Dade police wouldn't confirm any of the possible links.

The day of the robbery, Taylor and Garcia were awakened by loud noises and within moments he was shot. Neither the couple's 18-month-old daughter, also named Jackie, nor Garcia were injured, but the bullet hit the femoral artery in Taylor's leg, causing significant blood loss. He never regained consciousness.

Authorities haven't said whether they've linked the suspects to a break-in at Taylor's home eight days before the shooting. In that incident, someone pried open a front window, rifled through drawers and left a kitchen knife on a bed.

Sharpstein said Taylor's family was grateful for fast police work in the case, but that the arrests gave little comfort.

Ian
12-04-2007, 11:22 AM
Hoodlums breaking into his house to rob him and then shooting him has nothing to do with Sean's past. Reporters and networks are so eager to report a story and get a leg up by throwing out unsubstantiated specualtion/reports is wrong. We've all made mistakes in our past, to say because of the mistakes Sean may have made led to him getting shot in his home is inexcusable.Eh ... you have to play the odds. I'm fine with the way they handled it.

Hammer
12-04-2007, 12:46 PM
Eh ... you have to play the odds. I'm fine with the way they handled it.

Ian, can't you (and ESPN) just admit that to keep up with that insinuation is just wrong? He WAS NOT killed because of his past. He was killed because a group of kids decided to rob a wealthy house that they heard people working on the house talking about it and how the security system needed to be fixed. Information is coming out that they thought no one was going to be home (based off the overheard conversation). Taylor surprised them. Could have had happened to any other wealthy family in that development who had hired workers. I'm sure many on this board have hired people to do work on our homes (painters, furniture delivery) who get a good look at our homes as well. The only way he "brought it on himself" is that he chose to spend his wealth and show it in his home, which hardly makes him unique or any less a victim.

JPL
12-04-2007, 01:05 PM
The only problem I have with instances like this and they way they are reported is when the networks are wrong they rarely if ever make a detraction of what they said. They will simply let the story fade away. For once I would like to see the networks apologize and admit they had it wrong. I do understand Ian's point about playing the odds in cases like this it happens all the time but when they wrong admit it.

Ian
12-04-2007, 06:33 PM
Ian, can't you (and ESPN) just admit that to keep up with that insinuation is just wrong?As far as I can see, no one is "keeping up with it." It was reasonable speculation early on, given Taylor's past, and as soon as it became clear that it wasn't the case people stopped talking about it and started talking about how terrible it all was and what a waste.

The only problem I have with instances like this and they way they are reported is when the networks are wrong they rarely if ever make a detraction of what they said.There's no reason for a retraction. You issue a retraction when you're wrong about something. The networks weren't wrong, because they never came out and said, "Sean Taylor was killed because of his past."

They said, "He's got a shady past. It's possible he was killed by someone he had a beef with." which was completely true at the time. It was possible that that why he was killed.

Hammer
12-04-2007, 09:11 PM
They said, "He's got a shady past. It's possible he was killed by someone he had a beef with." which was completely true at the time. It was possible that that why he was killed.

When that possibility was proven to be untrue, I think it would have been good to point that out as well. People were very quick to go to the negative. That's why I did not want to post into this thread earlier. I wanted more facts to be known rather than make suppositions.

Anyway, moving on...I was surprised when I read that his girlfriend was the niece of Andy Garcia, as I had not heard that before. I was out of the country last week and was relying on Canadian sports networks for my information and this story was not as accentuated. Andy Garcia is an articulate, intelligent, good man (I actually know people who know him, though I have not had the pleasure of meeting him). While it will never replace her father, that little girl will have strong positive male influence in her life.