PDA

View Full Version : Possible soft opening of Spaceship Earth

youngOx96
11-26-2007, 11:12 AM
I listen to several Disney podcasts throughout the week. One of the podcasts I was listening to this morning - the 11/25/07 episode - said that Disney is planning a soft opening of Spaceship Earth on December 7, 2007.:mickey: This information supposedly comes from a reliable source within Disney.

Not that I doubt the podcast host, but has anyone else heard this?

Figment!
11-26-2007, 12:01 PM
Siemens did release the following internal announcment regarding the project in August 2007:
If you have previously visit Spaceship Earth attraction prior to July, you will notice several changes once the ride re-opens in Nov/Dec '07. A few of the changes include new show scenes, new music score, new storyline and a new interactive experience during the 4 minute journey from the top of the geodesic dome back to the landing station. ... Beginning in December '07 Spaceship Earth and the Project Tomorrow post show will begin to open in phases. The project will be completed in February 2008.However, this was prior to Walt Disney World Operations updating their calender to show the Spaceship Earth attraction closed through February 18, 2008. At the time of this announcment, Walt Disney World Operations listed a November 2007 opening date.

It is plausible that the most recent Operational update was in error with regard to the attraction itself being closed through that date, but it is also as likely that Siemens has not released an updated schedule that reflects the project delay ....

WonderlandsMostWanted
11-26-2007, 12:31 PM
Oh I hope I hope I hope they have a soft opening in December! We're going for my birthday (which is on the 7th) and this has always been one of my favorite attractions in all of Disney World!! I was bummed when I heard it would be down for our trip. I won't hold my breath, but that would be a great birthday present!

RedheadWriter
11-26-2007, 01:09 PM
I woudl so love to be able to ride this new version when i am there in January! I am keeping my fingers crossed that the podcast was correct
Rachel

JPL
11-26-2007, 01:10 PM
The only thing I heard that was 100% definate is that testing of the new software had started this past weekend and this came from a CM. Depending how well the tests went, I think it is possible that is could open in December but I would think more likely in January if It does open early.

Cookie123
11-26-2007, 01:15 PM
Oh ! I hope, I hope ...... :muscles:

I will get there on December 8th.

PirateLover
11-26-2007, 02:23 PM
Our last day is the 7th... I'd love to see it... but I won't get my hopes up.

Taja
11-26-2007, 02:36 PM
Hoping there will be a soft opening for our December visit!

We have three first-timers--well, two who will care and one who will sleep through it all!--and would love SSE to be their first attraction in EPCOT!

Imagineer1981
11-26-2007, 02:50 PM
i hope it's ready for my trip 6-11th...can't wait!

JPL
11-26-2007, 02:53 PM
The main thing that makes me think it maybe January is they wouldn't want to work out the bugs during the busy Christmas Season.

Samtastic
11-26-2007, 04:13 PM
Oh I hope they do! I'm going from Jan 7-15. But if they did do a soft opening, how would I find out, because I'd totally go to Epcot, even if I was at a different park if it was open, not wanting to chance it. Would you just ask a CM?

beksy
11-26-2007, 05:56 PM
I'm really really hoping this happens! Our last day is February 17th so this gives me some hope that there'll be a soft opening at least one day early. Does anybody know if this usually happens? It is one of my sister's favorite rides.

dmallan
11-26-2007, 07:12 PM
Pardon me for sounding foolish...:blush: I know I've heard the term "soft opening" many times before, but what exactly does it mean?

I understand it's a trial time, so will it just be hit and miss whether it's open when we are there?

LoriMistress
11-26-2007, 07:37 PM
It's also a slim possibility that SSE might start the soft opening from 12/5 to 12/15, but it's more likely going to be official open in Feb '08.

JPL
11-26-2007, 08:44 PM
Pardon me for sounding foolish...:blush: I know I've heard the term "soft opening" many times before, but what exactly does it mean?

I understand it's a trial time, so will it just be hit and miss whether it's open when we are there?

A soft opening is when an attraction is being tested using guests and it is subject to closure without notice. Some soft openings last all day while others a few hours or less. Some are open to all guests while others you are invited to experience.
It is sometimes called a technical dress rehersal to make sure the effects are timed right and working. It can also mean that certain effects are turned off or not functioning at all. It is basically all the the fine tuning of the attraction before the official opening. The best example of this in recent history was Monster Inc.

grego77
11-26-2007, 09:57 PM
I'm crossing my fingers...I'll be there Dec 7-10!! :cloud9:

markb
11-27-2007, 02:48 AM
We arrive on December 5th and leave on the 19th and it's my 40th birthday on the 8th. It would be such a cool birthday present ;) :cloud9:

DisneyorBust
11-27-2007, 08:04 AM
I won't be holding my breath for SSE to have a soft opening during the first week of December but one can hope! Especially since we will be at Epcot on the 7th.

Disney-lovin' Dutchman
11-27-2007, 12:09 PM
I will be there at the busy christmas season..so I probably will not see SSE anyway :(

CaptSmee
11-28-2007, 01:01 AM
Cossing my fingers for the possibility even...

Cigar Rex
11-28-2007, 10:31 AM
I was thinking of making a trip in January but I don't want to miss SSE or Splash Mountain so I might try to make it the last week in February. Hopefully both will have opened by then and I wont miss two of my favorites.

TiggerTopper
11-29-2007, 08:23 AM
:pixie::pixie:PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE:pixie::pixie:

WDWfanatic742
11-29-2007, 03:40 PM
Talk about a Christmas present if they open SSE for Christmas day to test out the ride and find out what everybody's opinion of it. Apparently from what I hear, Spaceship Earth has been taken off of the Holiday map of Epcot. Hmm...

MinnieMommie
11-29-2007, 07:25 PM
I sure hope so since I'll be there mid January. Something to look forward to. :mickey:

mickeys_princess_mom
11-29-2007, 09:52 PM
Apparently from what I hear, Spaceship Earth has been taken off of the Holiday map of Epcot. Hmm...:confused:

Mackflava99
11-29-2007, 11:16 PM
I was thinking of making a trip in January but I don't want to miss SSE or Splash Mountain so I might try to make it the last week in February. Hopefully both will have opened by then and I wont miss two of my favorites.

I didn't know about Splash Mountain? is it closed for a long time?

realtreebar
11-30-2007, 12:47 AM
hope it opens when we are done with our cruise on the 21st of january!

Figment!
11-30-2007, 08:36 AM
I didn't know about Splash Mountain? is it closed for a long time? See the rehabs (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/../infocentral/calendar/refurb.asp) section of INTERCOT info Central for a current listing of all refurbishments & closures as released by Walt Disney World Operations.

DigitalDaredevil
12-02-2007, 02:01 PM
I'll be there from the 9th to the 15th. I also hope that SSE will be open, but if it isn't, it gives me yet another reason to come back, not that I need one, and something to look forward to.

WDWfanatic742
12-02-2007, 03:23 PM
:confused:

They release Holiday park maps for each park and reportedly SSE is not on it. I haven't seen it so I don't know if it's just the description of the ride or the entire building taken off.

Mickey'sApprentice
12-02-2007, 07:06 PM
I'll be there Jan. 4th-8th. I would be :cloud9::joy::cloud9::joy::cloud9: if there was some sort of soft opening for SSE. I too have been in the dumps since hearing about the delayed reopening.:pixie::pixie:

WDWfanatic742
12-02-2007, 07:29 PM
Check out this thread by Chris (Strmchsr) for information:

Epcot News (Including SSE, JIYI, and more) (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=121308)

WLD4
12-03-2007, 08:56 AM
This story is on our local (Orlando) NBC news web site this morning:
ORLANDO, Fla. -- Epcot's Spaceship Earth ride is expected to reopen later this month for sneak previews of this year's overhaul.

The ride follows human innovation from prehistoric times to the 21st century. It now has new music, lighting, costumes, set decoration, interactive features and narration by Oscar-winning actress Judi Dench.

The 180-foot-tall Spaceship Earth geodesic sphere opened as Epcot's centerpiece in 1982. It's had occasional updates, but this year's overhaul is its first major change.

Maleficent's Dad
12-03-2007, 09:26 AM
From the Orlando Sentinel:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/custom/tourism/orl-tourism0307dec03,0,4780999.story?coll=orl_tab01_la yout

-----------------------

Epcot's Spaceship Earth to reopen mid-December
Christopher Boyd | Jason Garcia and Scott Powers, Sentinel Staff Writers
December 3, 2007
Epcot's Spaceship Earth ride is expected to reopen in mid-December for sneak previews with a new story overlay, new technology and a whole new soundtrack -- created by 10-time Emmy Award-winning composer Bruce Broughton, a 63-piece orchestra and a 24-voice choir.

Walt Disney Imagineering announced late last week that Broughton's music has been fitted to each scene in the attraction's storyline, which follows the history of human innovation from one generation to the next, from prehistoric times to the 21st century.

The ride was closed earlier this year as the entire system also has been updated with new show scenes, lighting, costumes, set decorations, interactive features for riders and a new narrator, Academy Award-winning actress Judi Dench.

"To have that score transition smoothly as vehicles travel from one time period to the next is extremely difficult," said Walt Disney Imagineering show producer Bob Zalk. "The first time we rode through the attraction accompanied by that music, we were amazed."

The 180-foot-tall Spaceship Earth geodesic sphere opened as Epcot's centerpiece in 1982 with a ride storyline that originally focused more on the history of human communications. It has had occasional updates, but this year's overhaul by Walt Disney World and the attraction's sponsor Siemens AG was the first major change.

mulderxcoltrane
12-03-2007, 01:42 PM
SSE is no longer listed on the WDW refurbishment page:

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/calendar/refurbishmentslisting/index?id=EPCalendarRefurbishmentsListingPage&date=20071201

Disney-lovin' Dutchman
12-03-2007, 02:40 PM
If you look at the operational updates it is still closed in December and January

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/calendar/refurbishmentslisting/index?id=EPCalendarRefurbishmentsListingPage&date=20080101

goofyskier
12-03-2007, 02:56 PM
I just looked at the updates page and it does not show Spaceship Earth on the page however, it also does not show the American Adventure either. It is possible that they are in the process of updating the update page.

devoted93
12-03-2007, 07:30 PM
Man, I thought Jeremy Irons' voice was perfect for that narration. I hope Dench is good or it will ruin the whole thing for me...

Meteora
12-04-2007, 12:51 PM
We will be in the World Christmas week. My dad was so disappointed when the SE date got pushed back--it's one of his favorites, and he missed seeing it last year.

Does anyone know if there's a way to find out when we're there at what time it might possibly be open--would there be someone in the park who could tell is? Or is it just luck of the draw? We would happily plan around a soft opening if we had an idea of when it was.

taradon
12-05-2007, 11:20 AM
Any rumors that the re-opening date might be pushed forward? If they're doing soft openings in December, does that mean SSE might open again sometime in January rather than February?