PDA

View Full Version : Resort Buses

PeterPansMagic
11-26-2007, 12:46 AM
I have a question about the resort buses. Since we will be staying at All Star Music and my husband will have an ECV will they load him in the front or back?

Here we go again...
11-26-2007, 03:14 AM
In the back. There is a seperate line for wheelchairs and the family stays together. It looks like you are staying at All Star. If so, be prepared to wait for an extra bus sometimes.

The bus only holds 2 scooters so if there are more than 2 in line, or if the bus pulls up with one loaded you may have to wait.

I like to warn people because I saw a man get very upset because he had to wait for another bus and started yelling at everyone. He thought that because he was handicapped he got to go first no matter what.

Be patient. People think that scooters get to go first and there is some resentment sometimes. I may get on first, but I am always off last. (and sometimes forgotten) on the bus.

Practice backing up and parallel parking. You will have to do this in the bus and many times people do not move. So, you have to get really good at it.
Good luck!!

Marilyn Michetti
11-27-2007, 09:08 AM
The busses are the only thing about Disney that I HATE !! I'ts really hard to get into the spot, so, DO practice parallel parking!. It's not so bad if the bus is empty, but if you're the second stop, and the driver makes someone clear out their strollers and backpacks, the tension is intense.

You will be the first loaded, before those on their feet. It has nothing to do with being "special" - it's the law! The driver cannot let anyone in the front of the bus until he's in his seat, so when the two families with ECV's or WC's are taken care of, other's may board. Again, sometimes the glares, (and comments), can be mean, but we have the right to Disney transportation. As frustrating as it is for the LINE, it ain't no fun for me either.:blush:

The CM's are terrific, and know what they're doing, so be patient, and have a good time.:thumbsup:

Here we go again...
11-27-2007, 09:36 AM
The busses are the only thing about Disney that I HATE !! I'ts really hard to get into the spot, so, DO practice parallel parking!. It's not so bad if the bus is empty, but if you're the second stop, and the driver makes someone clear out their strollers and backpacks, the tension is intense.

Yeah, it kills me when I try to get on when there are people on the bus already. No one wants to move their feet... it is like that are just waiting to see if I am going to run over them.

TheDuckRocks
11-27-2007, 10:14 AM
Yes, both Marilyn and Angel are absolutely correct about the stress factor on the boarding the busses at WDW, I'm already getting sweaty palms on my hands thinking about the first few times I will boarding the busses in 45 days.
But do not let any scary stories you hear keep you from using that ECV if you need it. Be a courteous ECV user and block out the looks and comments when you go to use the busses or use the handicap entries. You will have a wonderful trip that you would only be able to enjoy to its fullest with the help that is there for all of us on wheels.:thumbsup:

goofysbabe
11-27-2007, 11:45 AM
Yes, be strong! My sister is in a wheelchair (and not at all able to walk or talk - which is very visible to others) and whenever we loaded the buses or was taken to a special line for rides we got the looks. I just don't understand how people can be so cold hearted. I think they just expect us to stay at home so they can enjoy their vacations - Heaven forbid they have to wait and extra 5 -10 min. to get to the parks or on a ride. I believe when Walt created Disney, he did so for all to enjoy!

PeterPansMagic
11-28-2007, 01:18 AM
:-o Apparently people are like that EVERYWHERE not just Disney. We live in NYC and take public transportation. Depending on which area you are in people refuse to move especially immigrants & school kids. The subway isnt so bad though. :(

MsMin
11-28-2007, 10:32 AM
Yes, just be prepared for the ugly remarks. If you expect the remarks you won't be as shocked. I thought the remarks would be for ppl who are using an EVC or W/C that don't look like they needed one (as if ppl have xray vision). But my dad is 77 and had 3 strokes and can't walk more than about 20 feet got ugly remarks about not really needing a w/c etc.
Make sure you don't sit on the EVC on the bus. One driver forgot to tell my dad when he was traveling w/o us and he fell off.
Have a great time!

ibelieveindisneymagic
11-29-2007, 02:55 PM
I'm going to ask a really silly question!

We're going to Disney in May with my Mom, who due to her severe arthritis will be getting a scooter (she really needs one here too, but we can't convince her of that quite yet).

She can't sit on the ECV on the busses? I'm assuming that part of the being "first" on is to ensure that she gets a seat, there is no way she could ever stand!

How does this work though, if you're not the first on the bus, such as if we head over to Riverside for a meal, and then take the bus to the park...would all of the seats be full? How to we make sure she has a place to sit?

Sorry if this is a silly question, I've never travelled with an ECV before, but it is the only way Mom could ever manage to come with us.

offwego
11-29-2007, 05:41 PM
I'm going to ask a really silly question!

We're going to Disney in May with my Mom, who due to her severe arthritis will be getting a scooter (she really needs one here too, but we can't convince her of that quite yet).

She can't sit on the ECV on the busses? I'm assuming that part of the being "first" on is to ensure that she gets a seat, there is no way she could ever stand!

How does this work though, if you're not the first on the bus, such as if we head over to Riverside for a meal, and then take the bus to the park...would all of the seats be full? How to we make sure she has a place to sit?

Sorry if this is a silly question, I've never travelled with an ECV before, but it is the only way Mom could ever manage to come with us.

No silly questions! for each bus there are also marked "you may need to give up this seat" seats next to wear your ecv is tied in. Your bus driver should or you may have to ask the guest to vacate it for your seat. (however my mother never had a problem with guests not vacating for her)

ElenitaB
11-29-2007, 11:56 PM
It is unsafe to sit on the ECV while the bus is in motion (though I have sat on it while the monorail is in motion, only because it was so darn crowded).

Your mom will be able to sit in a regular bus seat though.

PeterPansMagic
11-30-2007, 01:01 AM
You mean to tell me that my husband will have to get up out of his ECV and sit in a seat? :confused:Thats strange considering that here in NYC people can stay in their wheelchairs.

TheDuckRocks
11-30-2007, 11:33 AM
Yes, you do have to get off of the ECV once it is loaded onto the bus. I think it maybe the law but if not it is definitely DIsney policy. Also your rental contract states that you must not ride the busses seated on the ECV.
All that said I once had a driver ask me if it would be OK with me if he strapped me in extra good would I stay in the ECV as they were so busy. I have also riden the monorail and boats while still seated. The only problem is you sometimes feel as if you're going to tip over. Get a good grip on a secure part of the vehicle and hold on for dear life going around corners.
I have seen many wheelchair users that have remained seated on Disney transportation.
I always tell my fellow bus passengers to feel free to dump any of the things (kids excluded :D) on top of my ECV. It seems to lighten at least some of the evil stares you get.

magicofdisney
12-04-2007, 05:19 PM
I've seen ppl remain in their ECV numerous times. If this is a Disney policy (or the law) then there are many drivers not well trained.

LibertyTreeGal
12-04-2007, 05:58 PM
I have seen many wheelchair users that have remained seated on Disney transportation.
I always tell my fellow bus passengers to feel free to dump any of the things (kids excluded :D) on top of my ECV. It seems to lighten at least some of the evil stares you get.

We shared the bus with a lovely couple last week, both of them in chairs and both of them remained in them while we were on the bus -- but these were not rental chairs, these were their chairs, specifically designed for them (they were some really sweet titanium chairs, not the clunky rentals, which would not be safe for most people to ride on a bus in).

mulderxcoltrane
12-04-2007, 06:24 PM
My mother-in-law will be using an ECV on our trip to Disney next week. She rented one from the parks last year, but this time will have it for the whole stay, which will mean she needs to drive it onto the bus. I had heard that sometimes the cast members will park it on the bus for you if you're not comfortable doing it(although after using the bus for a week, I think she'll get comfortable!). Has anyone else had this experience?
Also- will our family be guaranteed to get on the bus with her or if it's full, would she sometimes be the only one in our party to get on?

TheDuckRocks
12-05-2007, 12:07 PM
Yes, she will get more comfortable getting on the busses as the week goes by.
I have never had a CM put it on completely by themself, although many will reach over and take the controls and do it with me sitting on it.
I don't know if it's guaranteed if your whole party will be able to board at the same time as your mom, but she won't go alone. If you were traveling with 30 people or something they might split you up.
And finally............yes, some of the bus drivers are not very well trained. One night we were told by a bus driver and another CM that they are always in the process of training new bus drivers as the bus fleet keeps growing.