PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question?

KAT1811
11-25-2007, 11:30 PM
After looking at the GF and Poly resort maps it looks to me that all of the buildings are not connected interanally? Is that correct? I would hate to be in one of those far out buildings and have to walk outside to get to the mainbuilding. Or am I completely wrong and they are all connected?

In the event I am right how would I go about booking so that I can assure myself and my family that we will not be out in no mans land? Is there a certain room type I should book or is it all one big craps shoot?

CaptainJessicaSparrow
11-26-2007, 06:54 AM
The buildings are seperated. I believe you can request a preferred room, which will cost more and put you closer to the main building, but still may not be inside. But really, most of the resorts are set up like that except the CR.

TammiMcMan
11-26-2007, 08:56 AM
Yes, the Poly and GF are comprised of separate buildings and you will have to walk outside to get to some of the restaurants and transportation.

The Poly is setup with a main building aka the Great Ceremonial House. There are no rooms in this building. It contains registration, the monorail, shops and restaurants. You can look at the resort map and request a building that's close to the main building, but there's no guarantee. Jessica pointed out that some resorts offer "preferred" buildings, which will cost you a little more money. These are not available at the deluxe resorts though. Primarily because the resort buildings are not spread out very far. You're definitely within a few minutes of everything on property.

The GF has a similar setup with a main building and outer lodges. It also houses the registration area, monorail stop, shops and some restaurants. The difference between the Poly and the GF, is that the GF's main building also has rooms located on the 3rd, 4th and 5th floor. These are the most expensive rooms on property though, as they're all considered club level or concierge rooms. The furthest point at the GF is the walk from the boat dock to the main building. It takes all of 7 minutes at a leisurely pace.
'

Polynesian Dweller
11-26-2007, 09:27 AM
After looking at the GF and Poly resort maps it looks to me that all of the buildings are not connected interanally? Is that correct? I would hate to be in one of those far out buildings and have to walk outside to get to the mainbuilding. Or am I completely wrong and they are all connected?

In the event I am right how would I go about booking so that I can assure myself and my family that we will not be out in no mans land? Is there a certain room type I should book or is it all one big craps shoot?
These buildings are not connected but neither is any building in no man's land either. There is the illusion of great distances at both resorts but that's just it, an illusion. The hotel footprints are actually much smaller than you would think. One side to the other of either resort is no more that about 5-7 minutes, it can take you longer to get to the lobby of a major downtown city hotel.

And more importantly, at both the walk between buildings is one of the great pleasures of Disney resorts. You won't find walking to the main building at all a hardship once you experience the theming of the resort.:mickey:

spoiledraf
11-26-2007, 09:43 AM
As I see it, you'll be walking for hours in the parks. Whats a couple minutes between buildings?

The BW, YC and BC are all pretty much connected and all those long hallways are worse than going outside, IMHO.

SBETigg
11-26-2007, 10:14 AM
I love that the Poly and the GF are spread out, but that nothing's very far from the main building in either resort. It is a bit of a pain when it rains, but we usually don't stay in one building all day anyway and face the elements eventually. Some people don't go for that, though, and those people seem to be big fans of the WL and the Contemporary.

diz_girl
11-26-2007, 04:24 PM
The walk really isn't as far as you might think. Plus, the walks are very enjoyable at either place, so it's really a bonus and not a drawback. And at GF, some of the valets offer rides in their carts.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
11-26-2007, 10:17 PM
As I see it, you'll be walking for hours in the parks. Whats a couple minutes between buildings?

The BW, YC and BC are all pretty much connected and all those long hallways are worse than going outside, IMHO.

Don't forget OKW and SSR - you need a car at points.

TammiMcMan
11-27-2007, 07:59 AM
Don't forget OKW and SSR - you need a car at points.Some of the resorts are very spread out and offer an internal bus system to help you get around. I think the discussion here though is primarily focused on the setup of the deluxe resorts.

vamaggie
11-27-2007, 08:16 AM
We just stayed at Poly in the beginning of the month. While the buildings are not connected and you have to walk outside it is a very pleasant walk. The property is so lush and beautiful the walk was a joy (especially in the early am to go get some coffee b4 everyone else--except the ducks-was awake). Even the farthest bldgs (which are the concierge bldgs) were not all that far. I was concerned if it rained what we would do but we did not have to deal with this. (we also came up with a plan to "hop" to another longhouse if it did start raining-time outside would have been minimal) I also think it is much nicer to walk in the lovely outdoors rather than a long, cramped hallway.

Roger Rabbit 89
11-27-2007, 10:13 AM
When we stayed at GF, we looked at the map before we went and thought it looked really far from building to building. It really wasn't that far. It really didn't take long to get from one area to another in the resort. It just looks intimidating on the resort map. :D

Michael

garymacd
12-02-2007, 12:25 PM
They have all always looked intimidating to me. We stayed at Poly once and liked it, but it seemed such a long way to walk anywhere. With my beloved wife having some difficulty walking long distances up to the last year or so, that was always a factor in choosing a resort.

I guess that is one of the main reasons we always chose either WL or POFQ.