PDA

View Full Version : Tipping and Gift Cards

d_m_n_n
11-24-2007, 11:00 PM
OK, dumb question. Tonight we went to a steakhouse chain and had dinner. At the conclusion of dinner we bought $50 worth of gift cards for christmas gifts. Then DH and I got into the debate if we should tip for the amount of the cards...we couldn't decide, so we left what would be a generous tip for the food portion of the bill (although we would appear cheap if we should include the cards). What would you all think... :confused:

mamacon67
11-25-2007, 12:12 AM
As a former server, I would say you needn't tip on the purchase of the gift card, only the food portion. However, when redeeming the cards, always tip on the total bill, not the remainder after redeeming the gift card. Some people only tip on the balance after applying the gift card, or not at all if the gift card covers the total bill. The food is covered by the gift card, not the service. Sounds like you were more than generous.:thumbsup:

merlinmagic4
11-25-2007, 06:05 AM
I am a compulsive overtipper and I say that you should NOT tip on the cost of the gift cards. It wasn't part of the meal and there was no service involved that would normally call for a tip :thumbsup:

kakn7294
11-25-2007, 12:29 PM
I wouldn't have tipped for the purchase of the gift cards either, just on the total of the food portion of your bill.

magicofdisney
11-25-2007, 02:50 PM
I think the best way to answer this is with a question. :) If you had gone in to only pick up some gift cards, would you have tipped?

tinksmom02
11-25-2007, 10:24 PM
I think the best way to answer this is with a question. :) If you had gone in to only pick up some gift cards, would you have tipped?

That's exactly what I was going to say!