PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Rainforest Cafe in AK

SoaringDisney
11-23-2007, 08:26 PM
I am working on making some Advanced Reservations for my family's Disney trip coming up soon and was wondering what the opinion of Rainforest Cafe in AK was. Can I get some reviews from anyone who has had that dining experience?

baby minnie's mommy
11-23-2007, 08:48 PM
We celebrated our DD's 2nd birthday at AK, with lunch at R.Cafe. I loved the one at DTD years ago, but when we ate at the AK one it seemed pretty heavy on the monkey noises. (You can barely hear each other during the sequence.) It scared my 2-yr-old to where she had to sit on my lap! I felt bad, since it was her b-day lunch!

However, the food we had was real good. We had pizza for everyone, and the volcano dessert. Great service, too. Our waitress was very attentive, and no one tried to rush us through, even though we sat there for a while opening presents. :thumbsup:

I would say it's a fun place to eat, very colorful and lots to keep your attention with all the rainforest foliage and critters (plush live fish, if I remember right), just be careful if you have small kids along or if you're really looking for a quiet dinner. :D

merlinmagic4
11-23-2007, 09:11 PM
I agree. It has great atmosphere but it is a bit loud. The food was good (loved the sauce for the fries) although I was surprised at the 150.00 bill for two adults and three kids (that included the tip). We also shared a Volcano dessert and couldn't even finish it. It was good to end there after a day at AK.........very convenient! We would eat there again!

mulderxcoltrane
11-23-2007, 09:15 PM
When you boil it down (IMHO) what you're paying for is the atmosphere. The food is expensive and not phenomenal. However, as with lots of WDW sit-down restaurants, if you order wisely you can find middle ground b/w only paying for your surroundings and getting bad food.

Itchy
11-23-2007, 09:48 PM
We have eaten at both the Ak and DTD and like the food at both locations. The food can be pricey but you get a mountain of food. I ordered a slab of ribs last May and I thought that they brought the whole cow out. They covered the whole plate and enough fries for two people.

I plan on eating there again on the next trip.. Ask for a doggie bag you may need it.

My Vote is :thumbsup:

enjoy

kbvette
11-23-2007, 10:37 PM
I also feel that you are paying for the atmosphere. We have ate at both locations in DW and we also have one near us in Nashville. We have only ate there more than once because our friends love the place. It is a place to experience once, but it is nothing to write home about. In my opinion there are several restaurants in DW that I would want to experience first before Rainforest.

JPL
11-23-2007, 10:48 PM
The food is good and theming is really fun :thumbsup: I know it's not exclusive to WDW but still a fun place for a good meal.

SoaringDisney
11-24-2007, 06:24 PM
Thanks so much for all your help. I now plan on making reservations to check out the atmosphere, as well as all the monkey noises, all my kids are over 8 so they shouldn't be too scared.;)

disneylovinmom
11-24-2007, 08:47 PM
If you've never been, then you should definately do it. It is very neat. If you have been to others around the country, it is just about the same as the rest. The food isn't fantastic, but not real bad either. Have a great time.:mickey:

Here we go again...
11-25-2007, 01:42 AM
The food is good and we try to eat there each trip. We joined their safari club so we can go to DTD and get in within about 15 minutes. And we get a free appetizer or a discount on our meal.
We have learned to share a plate because the portions are huge!
They also have a great gift shop. Look for the clearance racks. Last year we got my DD's friends jackets for only $5.00 each!! Best deal on property.

Marilyn Michetti
11-25-2007, 01:08 PM
It's a fun place, but way too noisy, and freezing cold. I was NEVER so cold!

We're just a couple of Sr.'s, and enjoy dinners in a little quieter atmosphere.

The food is O.K. - a bit overpriced, and the wait staff kind of pushes to get you out.

For the price, I'd rather eat at the Flame Tree.:thumbsup:

TheRustyScupper
11-25-2007, 01:18 PM
1) All the Rain Forest Cafés are pretty much the same.
2) Including the ones at Disney.
3) However, the DTD an AK eateries seem much, much louder.
4) I think AK is worse than DTD.
5) As mentioned above, it can be tough to talk.
6) The food is good, but a little pricey - this goes for all RFC's.
7) For those newbies, I recommend it at least once.
8) We do it about once every-other year for the grandkids.

NOTE: I have eaten at several RFC's, including the one in London at Piccadilly Circus. AK seems much louder than any of the others. One can only assume that the noise factor would reduce conversation and improve table turns.

LudwigVonDrake
11-25-2007, 06:46 PM
I ate there for lunch a couple of years ago and it was quite tasty :tasty::eat::tasty:

Jared
11-25-2007, 07:03 PM
I wouldn't spend a precious Disney meal at Rainforest Cafe because I can drive 25 minutes to the Nyack, N.Y., location. If you don't have a branch near your home, it's definitely worth trying once for the experience. Don't expect great food or any quiet, but it's definitely a fun restaurant the first time.

:tasty:

Speedy1998
11-25-2007, 07:42 PM
I have never been to the ones at Disney, but I hate the one that I have been to in Houston. Honestly I can get better tasting food a McDonalds for 1/3 of the price. Also there was so much noise that the waiter could not hear us when we tried to order.

LizLovesDiz
11-26-2007, 02:28 PM
I get the crabcakes when I go,they are really good,have a great time !!! :mickey:

Jasper
11-26-2007, 02:41 PM
I agree with the others that the atmosphere is great and the food is good. As for price I didn't think it was all that bad for the quantity and quality you get. I definitely think it is worth a try!

However the issue does come up as others have already mentioned that Rainforest is not exclusive to Disney and all Rainforest Cafes are basically the same. Which means if you have one available to you near where you live then I would try something else just for a change of pace. However if you decide to do Rainforest anyway be assured that you should have a good experience.

Oh, if you go at any of the busy times be prepared for a long wait unless you have an ADR.

SurferStitch
11-26-2007, 03:23 PM
DH and I love the food and service there. We've always had excellent meals there. Portions are way too huge, but at least you don't leave hungry. Service has always been friendly and efficient.

Food quality is above average. Much better than the typical chain restaurants we have around here.

The crab cakes are awesome. Their salads are excellent, too. In fact, I haven't had anything I didn't love there.

DizNee143
11-26-2007, 03:33 PM
the rainforest is a great place..its fun dining experience with pretty good food!!..no matter which one you go to..ive been to the two in disney and theres one close to me here in jersey i visit often also..they are all so great!! you'll have fun..:mickey:

mudpuppysmom
11-27-2007, 09:21 AM
DS and I finally gave this a try when leaving AK in May. We waited for about 20 minutes (browsed the gift shop and checked out the fish). By the time we got seated we had heard the "noise" a few times. DS is 5 and he is all about animals, but even he didn't appreciate the atmosphere. I will say that if you don't have one near you -- check it out. It is worth a once over.

As for the food -- I'd much rather choose a Disney place. The food is not inedible, it's just not that great IMHO. I chose a wrap and was assured they could make it on a corn tortilla (I can't have flour) and when it came I again reiterated that it had to be corn since I have gluten intolerance. The server "assured" me it was corn. Well -- it wasn't and I spent a few hours that night clutching my stomach and praying to the gods. I should have known better though.

Again, if you have not tried it or don't have one around you -- give it a whirl. It does have some different atmosphere and the food is not terrible, but I'd rather eat at Jiko on my AK day!

#1donaldfan
11-27-2007, 12:22 PM
If you've been to one, you've been to 'em all. When we're on trips we tend to eat at places that aren't readily accesible to our locale. We like that "eatery", and tried the one at AK and it was very good, maybe a little loud, but we like that....you should enjoy it, and have fun!:mickey:

ThanxForNoticin
11-27-2007, 12:35 PM
You should definitely give it a try. It's a fun place with really good food. It's a favorite of both of my kids. You should not hesitate to eat at either DTD or AK. Enjoy.