PDA

View Full Version : Tipping at the Buffet in 2008

jonsmom
11-23-2007, 07:19 PM
Hi

I don't know if this question has been asked before, but I know that beginning in 2008, tipping will be included in parties of 6 or more, but what about the buffet? Will they include the additional 18% as well or will it be less? We generally don't tip as much at a buffet because you are only being served drinks.

Thanks.

DizneyRox
11-23-2007, 07:51 PM
Ususally when they add a tip, it's the 18%. I've never been with a party that size, and if they added 18% at a buffet, I'd call a manager...

mttafire
11-23-2007, 08:57 PM
I certainly cant imagine a tip at a buffet.

Polynesian Dweller
11-23-2007, 09:04 PM
Although I can't imagine a tip at a buffet except if you order drinks and things that a server needs to bring. The WDW online guide does not rule it out. Buffets are specified as 1 Table Service meal and the brochure does say tips at 18% are added automatically for groups of 6 or more for TS meals. So, the brochure would imply that the answer is yes, they would add the 18%.

I'd phone Disney and ask the question specifically to get the official answer but certainly 18% at a buffet wouldn't seem right.

Figment!
11-23-2007, 09:16 PM
The Walt Disney World Reosrt Executive Offices has previously stated the following on the matter:
18% gratuity will be included when Guests are parties of six or more enjoy dining experiences at our Table Service locations

Based on current statments, it appears that the Gratuity will apply to all Table Service locations, buffets included.

EPCOT84
11-23-2007, 10:08 PM
Although I can't imagine a tip at a buffet except if you order drinks and things that a server needs to bring.

I certainly cant imagine a tip at a buffet.

Slightly off topic but you should put a small tip at buffets in general. Besides servers bringing drinks and things you request, the bus staff or servers spend a lot of time picking up the plates and cleaning the table before you get back from the next round. IMHO, servers do MORE work at buffets than sit down restaurants.

Natazu
11-24-2007, 04:01 AM
When I sent my email to guest relations, one part of it was a specific question about tipping at a buffet vs. tipping at a 5-course signature restaurant. The response did not address that question.

d_m_n_n
11-24-2007, 07:38 AM
If I remember correctly, on the dining plan the servers are tipped 18% at buffets (H&V and CM are popping in my head). My guess is that if they do it automatically for the DP it would be the same as the now 6 or more rule. Buffet servers are lucky with us on the DP! We never tip that much at buffets! :blush:

wendy*darling
11-24-2007, 09:49 AM
IMHO, servers do MORE work at buffets than sit down restaurants.
I have to agree here. We trip just as much at a buffet as we do at a regular sit down restaurant. We feel the servers do more for us at a buffet with all the getting up and down, clearing plates, etc. we go through more plates at a buffet than at a menu restaurant.

I would expect the tip applies to all TS restaurants, buffets included.

Jared
11-24-2007, 11:51 AM
I'm not sure the servers at buffets and the servers at signature restaurants deserve the same automatic gratuity, but let's not turn this thread into a debate.

When the Disney Dining Plan included gratuity, the policy included buffets, so I imagine the new rules for the Disney Dining Experience card are the same.

All parties eating at a table service restaurant using the Disney Dining Experience card, buffet or otherwise, will see an automatic 18 percent tip on the bill.

thejens
11-26-2007, 12:22 AM
It's just another frustrating aspect of the mandatory tip. I always tip at a buffet, but it does depend on the amount of service. Some servers are attentive, bussing the tables, offering suggestions, refilling beverages and should get full tip. But I have been at buffets where I never saw the server again after the first beverages were served. I think last year they only added tip to parties of 8 or more. It's very annoying.