PDA

View Full Version : I am Legend

WDWFREAK101
11-23-2007, 04:31 PM
Most everybody knows about the movie "I am Legend" starring Will Smith. I saw the trailer for it and i was blown away. It looked freaky and disturbing :eek:but yet really cool. I am peeved that they don't tell you that much about the movie except that Will is the last person on earth and there are these zombie things after him. Is it a horror movie or an action sci-fi thriller type. Also, what is it rated? I don't know if it says yet because i keep finding "This film is not yet rated" Anyway, my friends are going opening day and they asked me if i wanted to go. If anybody could give me more information about this movie i would greatly appriciate it!

PirateLover
11-23-2007, 05:28 PM
IMDB lists it as Action / Drama / Fantasy / Horror / Sci-Fi / Thriller So I guess it's got a bit of everything!

Here is a more detailed plot description:
Robert Neville (Will Smith) is a brilliant scientist, but even he could not contain the terrible virus that was unstoppable, incurable, and man-made. Somehow immune, Neville is now the last human survivor in what is left of New York City and maybe the world. For three years, Neville has faithfully sent out daily radio messages, desperate to find any other survivors who might be out there. But he is not alone. Mutant victims of the plague -- The Infected -- lurk in the shadows... watching Neville's every move... waiting for him to make a fatal mistake. Perhaps mankind's last, best hope, Neville is driven by only one remaining mission: to find a way to reverse the effects of the virus using his own immune blood. But he knows he is outnumbered... and quickly running out of time.

ChipnDaleGal
11-23-2007, 06:04 PM
My daughter and I are both intrigued by the previews we have seen. But the way our warped minds work, we are already worried that something awful will happen to the dog. Mankind may be doomed in the movie, but we will be most concerned about the poochie. :blush:

CAS
11-23-2007, 06:34 PM
About the poochie, I haven't seen it so I won't be able to spoil, but from the extended previews I've seen your guess is a safe bet. :(

WDWFREAK101
11-23-2007, 07:06 PM
Yeah, i will see it due to Will Smith because he is one of my favorite actors and the plot does look interesting, but i just don't like the fact that Will Smith is supposedly the last survivor on earth and the dog might die so it is Will Smith against billions of Zombie creatures. In the preview he does carry a dog that looks dead and the dog comes out of the shadows but, that looks like a skinned pug lol :thumbsup: and Will Smith's dog is a german shepard i think. It say's that Will Smith has a co-star and i was in New York for a family reunion and they were shooting the movie. Will and a girl were holding guns and were wearing some kind of army uniform. I guess i could just assume that Will does have a friend and he is in fact not the last person alive. I hope i didn't spoil the movie for everybody and myself :thumbsup:

Jared
11-23-2007, 10:23 PM
"I Am Legend" is based on Richard Matheson's novel of the same title, which was published in 1954. This film, which will be released on Dec. 14, is the third adaptation of the book, following "The Last Man on Earth" (1964) and "The Omega Man" (1971).

The basic plot focuses on a man-made virus that wipes out virtually all of civilization, turning people into cannibalistic zombies. Will Smith's character thinks he's the last real human left on the planet, forced to deal with the infected.

"I Am Legend" is not yet rated, but I'd expect a PG-13 tag because many younger people follow Smith and flock to his movies.

NotaGeek
11-23-2007, 10:34 PM
I am looking forward to this movie a lot. I have enjoyed most of Will Smith's movies, and I do love the book. Let's see if it can take the huge story and translate it on the big screen.

PirateLover
11-24-2007, 02:56 AM
I forgot to add that my boyfriend is a huge fan of Omega Man starring Charlton Heston, which was basically the same plot. :thumbsup:

WDWFREAK101
11-24-2007, 02:59 PM
I got the book from Barnes and Noble today. It was funny because i got the last copy of the book. It must be going fast due to the movie. I read the first 3 chapters and i am really excited so far. I hope it gets better

DVC2004
11-24-2007, 03:10 PM
I plan to catch this one at the movies. Looks interesting and I usually enjoy Wil's films.

merlinmagic4
11-24-2007, 03:32 PM
My daughter and I are both intrigued by the previews we have seen. But the way our warped minds work, we are already worried that something awful will happen to the dog. Mankind may be doomed in the movie, but we will be most concerned about the poochie. :blush:

Me too! I don't think I'll be able to watch it!

magicman
11-27-2007, 11:32 AM
I forgot to add that my boyfriend is a huge fan of Omega Man starring Charlton Heston, which was basically the same plot. :thumbsup:

Omega Man is greatness.

If this movie is of the same ilk, I think it will also be great. It is very thought provoking to think about how you would be if you were the last survivor (or among the last survivors) on Earth. Personally, I head for Disney World & load up on souvenirs.

LibertyTreeGal
12-03-2007, 12:55 PM
I love the Omega Man, so we are looking forward to this movie!

chrisb26
12-03-2007, 04:46 PM
I haven't read any of the books this movie is based on but just from the previews this movie looks great and I can't wait to go see it! I do like Will Smith's movies. I have seen most of them so I will see this movie as well cant wait!

RenDuran
12-03-2007, 09:20 PM
I hadn't heard of this movie until today, but it sure seems similar to the movie "28 Days Later". Did anyone else see that?

WDWfanatic742
12-03-2007, 09:29 PM
Seems to be a pretty good month for movies. Lots of the summer releases are being released for DVD in a week or two and then you got I am Legend, National Treasure, and Alien vs. Predator R; which my mom is a huge fan of the first movie.

mac badger
12-05-2007, 02:38 PM
i love omega man, and also have seen the last man on earth with vincent price which is great, not as campy as omega man. i recently read the book i am legend, id heard about it for years and finally got around to it. it is an excellent story. it probably means i will be disappointed in the movie, as i am sure they will change things and it wont be as dark as the book, but i still plan on going to see it

Christine
12-06-2007, 09:55 PM
Saw the previews a while back. Looks spooky! Any ideas as to whether it's more "sci-fi" or "thriller"? I can't do scary b/c I'm a huge :chicken:

WDWFREAK101
12-07-2007, 08:28 AM
I was watching "I, Robot" last night (Another one of Will's movies) on FX and during the commercial they would ALWAYS advertise "I am Legend" The first commercial would be a TV spot and then the last one would sometimes be the actual trailer. I am guessing that they are trying to say that if you liked "I, Robot" than you might like this one. I am a HUGE fan of "I, Robot" and i think it is one of his best movies the only "I am Legend" TV Spot that creeped me out was when he is in his car and he sees a girl watching him at the end of the street and her head nods to him or something and something flips his car when he steps in a puddle. Sounds pretty stupid if you have not seen it yet :thumbsup:

The thing keeping it from seeing it is the zombie creatures. They looks so :sick: and :eek: i hate at the end of the trailer when they all suround Will Smith and one of them screams with there huge mouth. lol Will just stands there. lol:thumbsup:

PirateLover
12-15-2007, 12:09 AM
Just got back from seeing this in IMAX. First of all, IMAX showings have the first 7 minutes of the next Batman move, Dark Knight, which looks great.

I expected to like I Am Legend, but not as much as I did. I was on the edge of my seat the whole entire time. The majority of the movie is suspense. There are definitely a few make you jump moments. There is nothing extremely gruesome but there were 2 especially cringe worthy scenes for me. The infected people are very scary looking. It's basically like rabies so they run all crazy and scream and moan and are looking to feed. However that is not the whole movie. A good deal takes place during the day time, with Dr. Neville trying to develop cures, gather supplies, search around etc. But the encounters with the rabies-zombies are definitely intense.The other bizarre thing is seeing NYC completely deserted to the point where animals are roaming wild, weeds have overtaken the streets, etc.

The relationship with the dog is especially touching as it is just the two of them and it's been 3 years since the city was condemned. It's a beautiful dog as well. Will Smith was absolutely incredible in this. Great casting. :thumbsup:

chrisb26
12-15-2007, 03:04 PM
I'm going to see this movie tonight and I cant wait it looks so good!

WDWFREAK101
12-15-2007, 05:00 PM
Yeah. I saw the movie last night and i wasn't very proud of what i saw. I was expecting a disaster sci-fi horror thriller type and that was what i got except that the CGI was pretty bad. The "Infected" looked too cartoonish and when they screamed it was so weird. Anyway, there was a few scenes that freaked me out.
1. When the dog runs into the dark warehouse and Nevelle has to run after him in pitch black utter darkness with the "Infected" around every corrner. The entire movie was weird for me. New York was completely desolate except for him and the dog.
SPOILERS--------------------------------------------
(Highlight if you want to read.)
I almost cried when the dog died. I loved the dog but when she got bitten by that infected dog i knew that she would die. The look on Nevells face when it happened was absolutely heart-breaking. Also, i didn't like how there are other survivors out of nowhere that just come into the scene after 3 years. The ending was rushed i thought. It left me with some unanswered questions. Not like a cliffhanger, but it kind of leaves you there. It just didn't feel right in my opinion.
Anyway, in my opinion i thought it was ok but it could have been a sci-fi thriller if somethings were tweaked instead of just a popcorn flick. I would defintly NOT bring my kids to see it because this is a horror disaster film. After disaster movies like "The Day After Tomorrow", "Tornado", "Earthquake" and many others, children can be easily believe that what happens in "I am Legend" (The man made virus) could happen. A little girl about 11 screamed behind me when she heard that the virus was man-made. Also, to kids the "Infected" do look terrifying but to adults they may look cartoonish. (They did to me) Anyway, it was just a popcorn flick and nothing more. It was not Will's best movie of his career but definitly one of his best performances.

PirateLover
12-15-2007, 06:13 PM
Bad CGI for the creatures seems to be everyone's chief complaint but honestly it didn't really bother me. I think I was just so concerned with the fate of the characters that I wasn't analyzing the effects. The screaming freaked me out and I thought it added to scariness for me. Maybe if I see it again I'll be paying more attention to those things but it just didn't bother me. I agree that the end was a little cliche but it worked for me. Critics aren't particularly loving this one, but audiences seem to be having an opposite reaction (surprise surprise). My theater gave a decent applause at the end.

WDWFREAK101
12-15-2007, 07:10 PM
Bad CGI for the creatures seems to be everyone's chief complaint but honestly it didn't really bother me. I think I was just so concerned with the fate of the characters that I wasn't analyzing the effects. The screaming freaked me out and I thought it added to scariness for me. Maybe if I see it again I'll be paying more attention to those things but it just didn't bother me. I agree that the end was a little cliche but it worked for me. Critics aren't particularly loving this one, but audiences seem to be having an opposite reaction (surprise surprise). My theater gave a decent applause at the end.
The CGI didn't bother me that much but since i saw it on an IMAX screen it was pretty hard to miss. I will see it again on a regular, normal screen because when there was an intense scene it was loud and upclose and so real. I got freaked out a lot on the IMAX screen so i will try it on a normal screen.

chrisb26
12-16-2007, 12:53 AM
I just got back from it and I thought it was great! I do have to admit that I'm not too sure about the ending it was alright but seemed like there was so much action the entire movie then bam the end just seems like they ended it a bit too fast for me. Everything else was great. I didn't have a problem with the CGI at all it wasn't the greatest ever but it wasn't that bad. I also didn't think the creatures where cartoonish either I mean they didn't look completly real and believeable but I think they where trying to make them different then the normal zombie looking creature.

Overall I think it was great and cant wait for the DVD this will be a buy for me! :thumbsup:

PirateLover
12-16-2007, 01:35 AM
The CGI didn't bother me that much but since i saw it on an IMAX screen it was pretty hard to miss. I will see it again on a regular, normal screen because when there was an intense scene it was loud and upclose and so real. I got freaked out a lot on the IMAX screen so i will try it on a normal screen.

I saw it on IMAX as well. I definitely agree that being in the IMAX theaters always makes everything seem 10x more intense because of the size and amazing sound system.

SimbaandNalasMama
01-06-2008, 01:08 PM
Hubby and I saw it over the holidays and loved it. I find it amazing that one actor can carry a movie for 80% of the time. If anyone can do it, its Will Smith. It was like Tom Hanks in Cast Away. anyway, we really enjoyed it, and it stuck with us for a few days. I had no problems with the CGI characters, and in fact didnt realize they were real actors until reading up on the movie after we saw it. The scenes of empty New York were amazing. wow!!

CaptSmee
01-10-2008, 11:26 PM
Most everybody knows about the movie "I am Legend" starring Will Smith. I saw the trailer for it and i was blown away. It looked freaky and disturbing :eek:but yet really cool. I am peeved that they don't tell you that much about the movie except that Will is the last person on earth and there are these zombie things after him. Is it a horror movie or an action sci-fi thriller type. Also, what is it rated? I don't know if it says yet because i keep finding "This film is not yet rated" Anyway, my friends are going opening day and they asked me if i wanted to go. If anybody could give me more information about this movie i would greatly appriciate it!

What else is there to know going into the movie other than he's the last man on earth being chased by vampires? That's the premise of the whole movie! It is part horror, part sci-fi, part drama, part action all equalling a good flick. It is rated pg-13

pink
01-11-2008, 08:34 PM
When I saw the trailer for this movie and Will Smith I thought that the movie would be incredible but I was terrbily dissapointed. Flat out-I didn't like the movie. I tried to get into it the whole time and just couldn't.

Bad CGI for the creatures seems to be everyone's chief complaint but honestly it didn't really bother me.

I agree, the CGI didn't bother me at all. What bothered me was sitting in my seat waitng for something exciting to happen and nothing of the sort really did.

On other note, I went to go see National Treasure 2 the other night (it was great) and they played a trailer for the new Will Smith movie. It's called "Hancock" and it's about a super hero who has fallen out of the publics favor after a few mistakes on his part. :mickey:

DizneyRox
01-12-2008, 12:15 AM
I really don't understand the hub bub behind I Am Legend. Saw it a couple times, and while entertaining, it's nothing earth shattering. Seems a lot like 28 Days Later or The Omega Man as others have mentioned.

WDWFREAK101
01-12-2008, 01:27 AM
On other note, I went to go see National Treasure 2 the other night (it was great) and they played a trailer for the new Will Smith movie. It's called "Hancock" and it's about a super hero who has fallen out of the publics favor after a few mistakes on his part. :mickey:

Oh yeah! I forgot about that! I am definitly seeing that one! I love when he throws the whale into the ship in the distance. haha :thumbsup:

It is really cool how Will just did this and now in the same year another movie is coming out again! I love Will Smith!

PirateLover
01-12-2008, 01:29 AM
I really don't understand the hub bub behind I Am Legend. Saw it a couple times, and while entertaining, it's nothing earth shattering. Seems a lot like 28 Days Later or The Omega Man as others have mentioned.

Well, essentially it is an updated Omega Man since O.M. was based on the original book "I Am Legend." Do you mind me asking you why you would see it more than once if you weren't too keen on it? I'm not saying it's anything original, but I thought Will Smith was great, and the tension throughout the movie was great. I thoroughly enjoyed my time in the theater watching this film.

DizneyRox
01-12-2008, 08:32 AM
Do you mind me asking you why you would see it more than once if you weren't too keen on it?
I figured I missed something. And I wasn't paying for it, so, nothing lost except a little bit of time.