PDA

View Full Version : For those who celebrate Christmas

princessjojo
11-22-2007, 09:58 AM
When do you put up your Christmas Tree? I love Christmas and everything about it. I started listening to holiday music about 2 weeks ago on a local radio station that plays it all day long. If I could I would have my tree up now, but with me being in school and so much to do before my finals, I really haven't had the time and won't until around mid December. I know some who put their tree up around the first of November, but even for me, that's a little early.

I even have We Wish You A Merry Christmas ring tone on my phone.

So what about everyone else?

ibrowse17
11-22-2007, 10:03 AM
We put our tree up during the first week of December. As far as Christmas music, my DW Holley started listening as soon as XM started the channel named Holly!! Guess what they play:thumbsup:

Terra
11-22-2007, 10:27 AM
What a fun thread!! I love Christmas and the kick off for us is thanksgiving day!! TODAY!!
Christmas music is playing and the decorations come out of hiding after thanksgiving dinner!!!

And we decorate through the whole thanksgiving weekend!!

Tinkerfreak
11-22-2007, 10:56 AM
We usually don't put our tree up until a couple of weeks before Christmas because we have a real one. That is part of our tradition. We all get bundled up and go to the same place every year to select a tree and then cut it down. We go home and have hot cocoa and cookies and decorate the house and tree. Last year we went to Disney Dec. 16th and then to MIL for Christmas so we had to put up a fake one. It just wasn't the same. We all agree that it has it's pros but we just prefer a real tree. Something about picking it out and cutting it down ourselves I guess.
This year I feel in the Christmas spirit even more and sooner for some reason. It seems like the entire season is starting sooner. I returned from Disney on Dec. 4th and someone allready had a Santa on their roof. If we start too early we end up just wanting it all to be over with and don't enjoy it as much.

ElenitaB
11-22-2007, 11:02 AM
We do celebrate Christmas but we also celebrate Hanukah (this way we honor the traditions from both sides of our family)!

So we'll start decorating for Christmas right after Hanukah ends this year (which will be on the 12th). I bet it confuses the neighbors though! LOL

But no matter what, Christmas music doesn't start playing in our house until later tonight. It just ain't the Christmas season until Santa appears in the Macy's Thanksgiving parade.

pink
11-22-2007, 02:41 PM
We usually start putting up our outsides decorations after Thanksgiving and since we get a real tree, we usually get it around the 12th of December. Then that night we decorate the tree and the rest of the house. As for Xmas music, we only listen to it when we're decorating or the day of but I don't know why! :mickey:

By the way, Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

EPCOT84
11-22-2007, 03:58 PM
I also feel the Christmas mood earlier this year. I think the stores and commercials have a lot to do with it. All November its already been Christmas.

I actually got out our decorations last weekend and started little bits here and there. I know our local radio station will probably start its month-long Christmas all- the-time music from today so I've re-set my dial and ready to go !

I think having had a great trip to WDW made me and my family feel happier, more grateful, and more in the spirit this year. :thumbsup:

IloveDisney71
11-22-2007, 05:10 PM
I always put my tree up the on Tkg. day or the day after. I think this year it will be tomorrow afternoon. I love Christmas!!!

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
11-22-2007, 08:43 PM
We get a real tree so we usually put it up the second weekend in December.
I am planning on putting up the other decorations on 12/1 though.
It is kind of hard this year since I will still be on crutches until 12/18 from my knee surgery and all of the decorations are in the basement. :shake:

J9
11-22-2007, 09:20 PM
Our tree goes up before Halloween if at all possible, and it's DEFINITELY up before Thanksgiving!

This year, the tree and the decorations started going up on October 27th.

Yes, we're crazy

conorsmom2000
11-22-2007, 11:16 PM
The outside decorations, and most of the inside ones, will go up next weekend! But, we get a live tree, so that won't go up until around the 17th, then it stays up until after New Years.

I already have 3 Holiday ringtones (all by Trans-Siberian Orchestra :thumbsup:) set for various callers on my cell! :blush:

DISNEYFIX
11-23-2007, 07:53 AM
All the Christmas stuff, inside and outside are up already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Since we leave for VWL on the Nov. 25th, I didn't want to do it when I got home in 40* weather. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Savvy
11-23-2007, 03:48 PM
We put Christmas decorations up about 2-3 weeks before. I <3 Christmas and am so happy it's almost here! I think my favorite thing is putting ornaments on the tree. :)

amd780
11-24-2007, 12:00 PM
DH and I are going to start decorating tonight! I can hardly wait. :) It's our tradition to decorate the weekend after Thanksgiving.

Dsnygirl
11-24-2007, 03:16 PM
:tree: :candy: We usually put up our tree the first or second weekend of December, depending on how early or late into December that makes it. This year, we'll do it next weekend -- and I can't wait!! We go to a local tree farm and find our favorite, then we bring it home and put it up, put in a Christmas movie and decorate it while we have cookies and hot cocoa!! :ornament: :stock:

alphamommy
11-24-2007, 05:09 PM
We won't start decorating until at least next weekend. I had hoped to get some lights up outside this year, but I'm not sure if it will happen. I think I'll have DH start bringing up the boxes toward the end of next week.

It takes FOREVER to put up our tree - I collect ornaments, and have zillions of them. I do most of the other indoor decorating alone, or with some help from DD.

Tammy

DisneyOtaku
11-24-2007, 08:02 PM
Depending on when my sister and I get back from college, we usually do it around the 12th. This is for two reasons--one, it's one of the few times the entire family is together before the holidays and two, the 12th is my birthday and it's a fun tradition I like to do :thumbsup:

EPCOT84
11-24-2007, 08:46 PM
I was going through some boxes of souvenirs from prior trips to WDW. I found these tiny pillows of each Epcot nation country flag. My Mom had bought them years ago on one of our trips. I had forgotten all about it.

She has since passed on so it brought me to tears when I rediscovered these ornaments. I had the stereo tuned to the station with Christmas songs. The song from "The Christmas Shoes" started to play soon afterwards. I broke down and cried at the timing.

I placed each one on the tree today in her memory. :tree:

ShelbyAD
11-27-2007, 09:19 AM
If we put up our fake tree, it goes up Thanksgiving weekend. However, the past couple of years (including this one) DH wants a real tree - so we don't get it until around Dec 10th or so.

We're getting a real one & small one this year, b/c we're trying to sell our home and can't put up alot of decorations. I hate that - but that's what the real estate agent said - not a lot of decorations. I guess for religious reasons. If it were up to DH, he wouldn't put one up this year. I put my foot down and told him we are putting up a tree :elf:. So long as it was at least 4ft tall. I think we're getting a 5ft tree. :tree:

brownie
11-27-2007, 10:30 AM
Our tree goes up Thanksgiving weekend if our schedule allows. We put our trees up on the Friday after Thanksgiving this year. The outside lights went up earlier in the week, but they don't get turn on until the Friday after Thanksgiving (some years they go up earlier; it depends on the weather).

IloveJack
11-27-2007, 11:13 AM
We put our tree up the weekend after Thanksgiving, along with all the inside decorations. This will be the first year that we'll put up outside decorations (only our 3rd Christmas together), and we're hoping to do that this weekend. However, we're Cub Scout leaders, and we're in a parade this weekend, and the next, so we'll see. As for Christmas music, I added it to my iPod the week before Thanksgiving, but dh doesn't usually want to hear it until the middle of December.:sleigh:

2Epcot
11-27-2007, 08:40 PM
Our tree goes up before Halloween if at all possible, and it's DEFINITELY up before Thanksgiving!

This year, the tree and the decorations started going up on October 27th.

Yes, we're crazy

Are you sure you don't live in a department store?

Normally our tree goes up a couple of weeks before Christmas, but this year I was planning to put ours up the Saturday after Thanksgiving. We've done everything early this year. We finished most of our Christmas shopping in China a few weeks ago (except for the niece and nephew) and just sent out our Christmas photo cards on Saturday, using photos we took for this year's card during last year's Christmas. The tree went up yesterday, and started putting lights on it today. We grew up with artificial trees, so I'm used to them. I also like that they don't dry out. I think this will be the 13th year I've used the same Christmas tree. The skirt around the tree is also the same one I grew up with as a little kid ... Somehow I ended up with it instead of my brother or sister. :tree:

jennbunn
11-28-2007, 01:03 AM
we just put ours up tonight. ds and i wore our santa's hats and played christmas music while we unwraped my boxes of orderments. will keep everything up till new years. i am an orderment junkie and dh is looking into buying me a bigger tree next year after i mentioned christmas store in downtown disney!!! :cloud9:

Catwillow
11-30-2007, 11:38 PM
hahahahaha...... yep ... I have 8 trees (here in Florida). I have 1-1ft, 3-2ft, 1-3ft, 2-4ft, and 1-6.5 ft. Only one of the trees doesn't have decorations on it because it's a Fiber Optic tree -- it's beautiful (I did put a pretty bow on the top). All the rest were put up on Thanksgiving Day and the Day After and I finished decorating them yesterday. They are AWESOME!!!

Oh, I have 2-6fts and 1 4ft in my storage in California of which one is a sliver aluminum from the "yesteryears"....can't wait to get those here!!!!

kakn7294
12-01-2007, 01:12 AM
My younger DD's birthday is Nov 29, so the tree and decorations do not go up until after her family birthday party (which was tonight so the tree can go up soon). The outdoor decorations may or may not go up before then. My Mom and sister don't understand why I put off putting my decorations and tree up - they've had their stuff up for weeks now. We generally keep our stuff up for about a week or so into the new year - it depends on when I have to work. Catwillow, you have me beat - we have 6 trees. My 4 ft pencil tree stays up all year and is currently decorated in Disney Princess and Tinkerbell - it has twinkle lights, gold beads, silver and gold balls, and Princess and Tinkerbell ornaments - the topper is a silver star Princess wand.

DisneyCrazyET
12-02-2007, 03:49 PM
Our :tree: goes up around the middle of Dec. It stays up until Jan.6th.
It's nice hearing Christmas music now, I just wish the week after Christmas day continued with movies and carols.
When I was growing up, the tree went up Christmas Eve while we were sleeping. What magic that was. :sleigh:
Outside decorations go up first weekend in Dec.
:snowman: