PDA

View Full Version : So, who's creative??

conorsmom2000
11-21-2007, 09:11 AM
Every year our school does a Read-A-Thon. We pick a theme, which has to be able to incorporate 7 stations - the Read-A-Thon lasts 9 weeks and as the kids read so many books (for K-2) or so many pages (3rd to 5th grade) they move to a station and get a small prize.

We have a huge wall that gets decorated with the theme, and the kids have cards that also fit the theme, with their names on it, that move around the board. Last years theme was Monopoly - the woman who did it was amazing! The wall was a huge monopoly board and all the "places" were teachers names, class names, the custodians, secretary, etc. Each grades cards were a playing piece (like Con's class was the dog, someone else was the hat....)

So, this year it looks like the theme is going to be Favorite Storybook Characters/Series. (Sad to say the Disney and Pirates of the Caribbean suggestions only got one vote each! :( ) If this Storybook one does win, we'll go to the Teachers and ask them to pick a favorite series for their grade level (so, for example, 1st grade might pick Junie B. Jones and that would be a station, 3rd grade might pick Magic Treehouse, so that would be a station....) That would give us 6 stations and then we'll ask the Principal to pick the final station with his favorite series of books.

So, what I need help with is giving this a title - something that incorporates the idea that these are favorite series and possibly the idea that you might start out with Clifford, but end up at Harry Potter - is that making sense? I thought of something like A "Series" of steps through Reading but I don't really like using the word "steps"...but, that's the kind of idea that I'm looking for. I'm not sure what I'll do for their cards yet - depending on the title I might use something from that (like if we did use the word steps, their cards could have footprints on them) or we could just use characters from their grades series....

I hope I haven't lost all of you by this point! But, can anyone think of a clever title? :blush:

tinkerbell04
11-21-2007, 09:57 AM
How about "A Journey Through Reading" then each station could be a stamp in a passport, or you could use airline tickets or something like that? Just a suggestion :mickey:

MsMin
11-21-2007, 10:28 AM
What about "character building" and the cards could represent a different building from each station e.g. a castle for HP
Sounds like a fun project!

Disneyatic
11-21-2007, 10:51 AM
I love the passport idea, very creative! I think that is a concept that kids would really love and get excited about!

I was thinking "Walk a mile in their shoes" but I am not sure if that illustrates the reading theme very well.
Hmmm, I am going to keep thinking about this and see if I can come up with something else :thumbsup:

sandwalker44
11-21-2007, 12:58 PM
Hey Bergenfield! (I'm in Bloomfield :))

My suggestions:
1. Well, with the Summer Olympics around the corner, you could try different Olympic Games - marathon, hurdles, basketball, pole vault, etc.

2. You could have each step be a place from a famous children's tale: the beanstalk leads to the gingerbread house which leads to the three little pigs' house of brick, etc.

3. Tie it in with a famous journey to help kids with their history - you could try Lewis & Clark's journey perhaps? Or maybe follow the same path as one of the probes that is currently going into the deep reaches of space?

4. Maybe map a person's journey on the way to the White House? (this is all off the cuff - 1st get enough names on a petition to get their names on the ballot, then go stumping, then go through the state primaries for their party, debates, then on to the national convention, then to the debates, then to the vote for presidency and finally to the inauguration!)

Hope these help!

minnie-mouse
11-21-2007, 01:15 PM
How about:
"Journey on the Reading Railroad" and give each kid a different colored train car until they reach the end of the read-athon -the caboose.

ElenitaB
11-21-2007, 05:16 PM
The passport idea reminds me of Epcot and I love that idea! It will also give the kids a momento to take home. Another idea would also be "stolen" from Epcot (or shall we say "leveraged"? ;) ) and do something like the Kidcot masks with little diecuts that could hang off of it. Or a puzzle (or map) that has pieces attached to it as they go from place to place.