PDA

View Full Version : M.v.p!!

Ian
11-21-2007, 06:15 AM
Okay, I completely expected to come to this board and post in the thread that Christine had started on this topic.

But since she appears to have fallen down on the job, let ME be the first to congratulate the Phillies' own Jimmy Rollins on winning the NL MVP award this season! :number1:

In case you might forget, this gives the Phils two back-to-back MVP's since Ryan Howard won it last year.

Now if we could just win a Series to go with them!

kdsjjb
11-21-2007, 08:49 AM
Well deserved. He had an incredible season, and was a pleasure to watch.

GO PHILS!

GO FLYERS!

GO...

...COWBOYS!

Epc0tphr34k
11-21-2007, 08:49 AM
congrats to jimmy!!

The phils are definately headed on an upward path Ian. At least there is always next year and the future looks bright.

Scar
11-21-2007, 09:11 AM
Congratulations to Rollins.

I am surprised he won it. Not because he didn’t deserve it (he did), but I would have thought the Philly vote would have been spread around a little more between him, Howard, and Utley. Even Rowand got a few votes.

Holliday was deserving too. I wonder if anyone chose to vote for Rollins over Holliday based on his prediction?

Scar
11-21-2007, 09:13 AM
GO PHILS!

GO FLYERS!

GO...

...COWBOYS!Remember that game on Sesame Street...

One of these things is not like the others...

Hammer
11-21-2007, 09:36 AM
Okay, I completely expected to come to this board and post in the thread that Christine had started on this topic.

But since she appears to have fallen down on the job, let ME be the first to congratulate the Phillies' own Jimmy Rollins on winning the NL MVP award this season! :number1:

In case you might forget, this gives the Phils two back-to-back MVP's since Ryan Howard won it last year.

Now if we could just win a Series to go with them!

Hey, Ian, I am balancing work, my parents here visiting for the holiday, signing my mortgage refinancing, as well as sending my papers for my buying a DVC membership through resale. I'm lucky I had a chance to post the Glavine news a couple of days ago for Mel to see. So, cut me some slack ;) !

I am so thrilled that Jimmy won! Scar, if you look at the vote, it was extremely close. I'm sure part of the reason is some of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place vote points went to Howard, Utley and Rowand. Listening to a few national sports radio shows, I think why some writers may have chosen Jimmy over Holliday is that 1) shortstop is the more demanding position and he did not miss a game and 2) If you compare Jimmy's offensive numbers, you'll see they were pretty even between home and away, so it wasn't a Citizens Bank Park advantage that boosted his numbers.

I am not taking away from the great season Holliday had, though. Had he won, I really could not have complained (well, not too much, anyway ;) ).

Ian
11-21-2007, 11:20 AM
Hey, Ian, I am balancing work, my parents here visiting for the holiday, signing my mortgage refinancing, as well as sending my papers for my buying a DVC membership through resale. I'm lucky I had a chance to post the Glavine news a couple of days ago for Mel to see. So, cut me some slack ;) ! Excuses, excuses!!

On the topic of the Phils, I was pretty impressed to hear that they'd gone full bore after Lowell. He actually turned down quite a bit more money and an extra year from the Phils to stay with the Sox.

I take that as a reasonable sign they might plan to be aggressive this off-season.

PirateLover
11-22-2007, 05:14 PM
Holliday was deserving too. I wonder if anyone chose to vote for Rollins over Holliday based on his prediction?
Had he not made his "Team to beat" remark, I don't think he would've won, and from reading interviews it doesn't seem that he thinks so either. It is definitely what drew the national spotlight to him.
GO JIMMY!!! CONGRATS!!!!

Remember that game on Sesame Street...

One of these things is not like the others...

HAHAHHAAHA:rotfl: Good one.:cool:

goofhook
11-22-2007, 07:13 PM
I think that Holliday was more deserving, especially being a lead dog in that insane win streak the Rockies had going.

Hammer
11-23-2007, 12:58 PM
I think that Holliday was more deserving, especially being a lead dog in that insane win streak the Rockies had going.

I have to disagree if you want to give it to Holliday in light of what the Rockies did the last 20 or so games. That makes him Player of the Month, not the MVP for the entire season. It is the stats and how they played their position over the breadth of a season which is what most baseball writers used in deciding their MVP vote and the vast majority of them waited until game 163 was over to send in their vote. As one writer said in a national sports talk show you needed to divorce yourself from the emotion of game 163 and and see what Holliday did over the course of a season.

goofhook
11-24-2007, 04:54 PM
Well, in that case I'll make Holliday most valuable person, and Rollins most valuable player.:number1: