PDA

View Full Version : Computer Savy People, Please Help Me

jillluvsdisney
11-20-2007, 06:47 PM
I bought a digital camera. I went to put the CD-rom that came with it into my computer to install the software. Nothing happened. I have 2 drives and neigher one would read the disk?

Now what? I'm soooo frustrated. I got the installation, system repair disk out and out that in. Neither drive will read those either.

What's wrong and how can it be fixed?

ElenitaB
11-20-2007, 07:04 PM
Jill, it does sound like you're having hardware issues and your CD drives need to be looked at.

However, there is a work-around for getting the camera installed. Go to the manufacturer's Website and you'll be able to download the driver for your camera. Just be sure to note where you're putting it on your hard drive. Assuming that you have Windows XP or Vista, when you plug in the USB cord from the camera into the machine, your machine will automatically detect the new device and ask where it can find the drivers. Follow the prompts and your camera will be installed.

Good luck!

DizneyRox
11-21-2007, 06:26 AM
I would also go the route of downloading drivers off the website. However follow the install directions that came with your camera. Many times I have sen them install drivers FIRST, then plug in the camera.

You also don't give too much information about your problem.

Are you using a Mac or PC? Make sure you are using the correct install disk.

Did you put the disk in the drive label side up?

Do you have autoplay turned off (for security, it is advisable to have it off, which means yo need to run install manually).

Are the drives in your computer CD-ROM and the install disk DVD? While they look the same, they are most certainly different. A CD drive can not read a DVD disk.

The list goes on... I have seen CD/DVD drives go bad, so that's another issue to look at. Replacing them are CHEAP! I picked up a DVD writer for about $20 recently, so it's not the end of the world, and definitely not a huge repair bill.

Stan
11-21-2007, 08:53 AM
One more thing- hope you can follow this. With the CD in the drive, open Windows Explorer or My Computer and look at the contents of the CD. If there's a "Setup.exe" (the .exe extension may be hidden, but it will still be identified as a "program"), double click it. That should start the installation. ;)

For some reason, some manufacturers don't put autorun info on their CD's. Or, your PC is not configured for autorun. Or, for some reason your PC didn't want to autorun this particular CD (happens to me once in a while). :confused:

Good luck.

jillluvsdisney
11-21-2007, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the information everyone. I am just barely functional when it comes to computers. I'm fine as long as nothing goes wrong, not that that ever happens right?:mad:

I put a DVD in the DVD drive and a window came up that said it could not find a DVD program. I guess this tells me that it's a driver problem. The first 2 things I'm going to do are check the connections in the CPU tower and vaacumn all the dust out of it. Maybe I'll get lucky.

Technology is the devil's work.:thedolls: