PDA

View Full Version : Lotsa Golf questions...

SignguyTom
11-20-2007, 05:22 PM
For some reason, Golf doesn't seem to be much of a topic here at Intercot. I am interested in hacking through a round next May and I have some questions:

:golf:

Which course winds through Old Key West?
Where is the Clubhouse?
How do you go about making the reservations?
Do they accept singles?
How much $$$?
Is it worth dragging my clubs across the country, or is it fairly reasonable to rent clubs?

Lots of questions, I know, but this topic just doesn't seem to come up. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance! :mickey:

AnnieBananie
11-20-2007, 06:20 PM
Interested in the answers to your questions.....My DH and I are planning several trips to WDW in 2008 and he really wants to play golf there. Had many trips there but never enough time for golf. So, golf is a priority for '08.

Answers, anyone??

EPCOT84
11-20-2007, 06:28 PM
Here is Disney's website

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/moreMagic/golf/golfHome?id=GolfHomePage

Also, I did a quick Google on keywords "Disney" "Golf" and there are some unofficial sites out there that may answer some of your questions.

DisneyorBust
11-20-2007, 06:53 PM
As another golfer, I too am surprised at the small amount of interest in the great game of golf.
Having only golfed twice at WDW I can pass on the following information:
golf club rental, Titelist and Cobra I believe were $50-$60 to rent.
Not sure which course is near Old Key West.
There is complimentary taxi service from your resort (if a WDW resort guest) and back. (tip included!) You need to request a voucher from guest services at your resort.
You can book a tee time on-line, via the WDW site or you can call the course directly.
The cost per round varies, time of year, which course etc.
EPCOT84 has it right, follow the posted link for all of your answers!
When do you plan to go? and which course?
Just curious, I played Lake Buena Vista and Oak Trail.

Pirate Granny
11-20-2007, 07:48 PM
It's the best way to get hubby down to Disney...he always plays two rounds...ask for that...it's a special rate, depending on the season it could be $159 for both rounds up to $220 for both rounds...Lake Buena is the course that is around SSR...and if you only play one round...it's the cheapest course. i believe both Osprey Ridge and Eagle Pines are closed and being reworked into one course and the other land is a housing development. That leaves Lake Beuna Vista, Magnolia and Palm. The M & P are both over by the GF and Poly...they are beautiful courses and the two favorites of hubby. He always golfs as a single and they will put you with other golfers...he has met some really neat people...you can book on line, but I recommend calling...you can book three months out...He'll be there the end of May for two rounds...so maybe he'll see one of you there...
:pirate:

Pirate Granny
11-20-2007, 07:51 PM
Oh...I forgot...they will keep your clubs and move them to the next course that you are playing, even if it's a few days apart...saves having clubs in your room...and the taxi is very handy...no need for a car...just remember to get there early enough to get your voucher and they'll call a cab...Hubby usually plays first thing 7:30-8:00am...and sometimes the bell captains are not at the front desk to give the vouchers so ask about it the night before.
:pirate:

disneygirlie11
11-20-2007, 08:20 PM
We played last year at Palms and I think the twilight fee was about $60. You'll have to play after 3 though. If you play before that its more than $100. Also, I believe Osprey Ridge is still open b/c I have a tee time in December for it. If it is closed could someone let me know so I can change that! Thanks :)

SignguyTom
11-21-2007, 01:04 PM
Great info. Thank you! I am certain to persue this further. I'm not a big fan of the water parks, so my plan is to beat up a golf course while the rest of the family is at the water parks. :thumbsup:

Maleficent's Dad
11-26-2007, 10:00 AM
[INDENT][LIST]
Which course winds through Old Key West?
The Lake Buena Vista Course winds through both OKW and SSR. You also come pretty close to POFQ. The 17th fairway is adjacent to the Treehouse Villas and you can (literally) walk right up to them (not encouraged, however! ;)).

[INDENT][LIST]
Where is the Clubhouse?
The Clubhouse for LBV Course is at the SSR resort itself. It's under the Turf Club. The Clubhouse for Palm/Magnolia is next door to SOG - across the street from the Poly/GF.
Clubhouse for Eagle Pines/Osprey Ridge (EP is now closed :() is near Fort Wilderness at what they call Bonnet Creek Golf.

[INDENT][LIST]
How do you go about making the reservations?
Do they accept singles?
You can make reservations online at Disneyworldgolf.com, or you can call 407-WDW-GOLF.
YES, they take singles. You'll most likely be paired up with someone else. Typically, however, you will have your OWN cart as a single.

[INDENT][LIST]
How much $$$?
This varies greatly!
I see that you're heading "home" soon. As a DVC member, you can purchase the DVC Golf Membership for $50. This gives you incredible discounts on your rounds of golf. To us, it's one of the best "deals" that Disney offers. You pay $50 for an annual membership and rates are discounted depending on the time of year you go. From October-January 20, you'll pay $50 per person (up to 4 people including yourself) at all the courses. From January 21-April 25, you'll pay $89 and the rest of the year, the rate is only $35.

These are significant discounts on the rounds, which can run upwards of $145 for day guests and $135 for resort guests. The only catch is that your tee-time must be at 10 AM or later. We've not had a problem with securing a 10 AM tee-time in the past. We prefer to go earlier than that, but the discount makes it worth it.

As far as taking your own clubs, that's a personal decision. I'm not sure how often you golf. Personally, I would not rent clubs. I'm used to travelling with them, and Disney makes it easier to take golf clubs than most other resorts.
With DME, you only have to get the clubs to the airport when you're departing. We then store our clubs with Bell Services. When playing golf, you put them in a taxi and drop them off at the "drop rack" - the staff will take care of them at the pro-shop.
If you play more than one time when you're down there, Disney will "magically" transport them from one course to the other - even if you're playing the next day. We've used this service numerous times and it's a nice bonus to not lug your bag around WDW!

Some other items -
When you check in and pay, you can ask for a locker key. This is free. They let you use a locker to store any stuff you might have (shoes, etc.). There are nice showers in the locker rooms.

The beverage/snack cart is better than most places. You can get a decent (not great) sandwich as well as snacks and drinks. The girls (usually it's a female) will be around several times as you play.

All courses now have carts with GPS technology. Good distances are given, and they also show you the distance to the other carts in front of you - a real plus if you're concerned about hitting into the group in front of you.

The courses are great, very challenging. They are full of wildlife. Three weeks ago, we saw deer, alligators, tons of birds, turkeys, etc... We've yet to see a panther or bald eagle (both reportedly seen on the courses). We did see a fox in early November crossing a fairway.

Any more questions, just shoot away.
Love golfing at WDW!!! :golf:

Maleficent's Dad
11-26-2007, 10:04 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot to add:
When you want to go from your resort to the golf course, it's very easy. Just ask the bell services/valet people for a voucher to the golf course. It's no charge (tip is already included!) and they bring you right to the clubhouse of your choice. Very convenient! :mickey:

Maleficent's Dad
11-26-2007, 10:06 AM
As a DVC Member, you can book 90 days in advance! The only exception is the period between January 21-April 25, then it's a two week window.