PDA

View Full Version : Braces for Kids Question

thrillme
11-20-2007, 03:25 PM
I'm shopping around to get braces put on my son's (12 yrs) teeth. I've gotten a handful of estimates but I really don't have a CLUE as to what is "average". We have very poor dental insurance here at work and the orthodontist off the "network" seemed to offer better prices than insurance was offering.

I'm curious...I know I can't be the only person on this board who's child needs braces for crowded teeth. I know everybody is "different" depending on how bad things are but...what seems to be the average rate? Or what did you have to pay?

I've been saving for a while and I know I will probably need a bit more but...I handle things better when I go in with a little bit of a clue. If I have to mortgage the house for him to get them I will but...

Tygger7
11-20-2007, 03:34 PM
As you said, I'm sure a lot depends on the condition of your child's teeth. The orthodontist we used offered an interest free payment plan. I think it was $1200 down, then $120 per month for 36 months (I think). I know the total cost was right around $5700, which included everything (even the retainers). I will make one more comment: Be sure you check references for whatever orthodontist you use. There are some really good ones, and really bad ones. Definitely do your homework and get referrals from dentists too.

Good luck!

AZ Disney
11-20-2007, 04:15 PM
I'm not there yet with my boys, but I've heard a lot of numbers from friends and the average number is $5k. I would also second the comment about making sure you go with a good one. Referrals from your dentist and then check with actual patients too.
Good Luck.

RedSoxFan
11-20-2007, 04:51 PM
DS#2 and DS#3 -- they were both around $4000. That included retainers and all visits.

Jeff
11-20-2007, 05:00 PM
My daughter's cost $6000. This was 5 years ago. We went to the best around. Price included everything for life. All follow ups, retainers, check ups, etc.....

We were on the payment plan. It was well worth going with the best in our area. Others who have "tried to save money" and went with a "less reputable" person have ended up paying just as much over time for "additional services" and "corrections" needed after the initial braces period.

(just checked with my wife they were just over $5000 not six)

MNNHFLTX
11-20-2007, 05:22 PM
My son's braces cost $4700, all-inclusive. We do have decent dental insurance through my husband, but that still only included a one-time $1500 reimbursement for orthodontia. The remainder we paid through the CareCredit program (GE Financial Services offers it), as our orthodontist participates in the plan. Since we paid the remaining balance off in 18 months, there was no interest or finance charges.

thrillme
11-21-2007, 09:55 AM
When I took him in a couple of years ago based on my dentists recommendation the orthodontist I took him too said about $4500 (all inclusive).

She had recommended a Stage 1 but said he'd STILL need braces for 2 years and it wouldn't make any difference in the price regardless. Stage 1 included a several of "possibilities" but no "definate" consequences if I chose NOT to do it. She said I could come back later if something cropped up. I take him to the dentist regularly and get x-rays and full checkups and everything was coming normally but crowded.

The insurance plan I have is saying that it's $5600 IF I go to a "plan" doctor. I've been very close to being really "taken" by a "plan" doctor before and I really just don't trust them (the dentist on the "plan" said I had cavities in 17 teeth...I went back to an old trusted dentist in tears...and found I didn't have ANY). The $5600 seemed pretty HIGH being that it was on "insurance".

This thread is helping a LOT. It looks like I should be looking on an average of $4500-5000. I can "brace" myself for that price range. I really don't want to put it on credit card because the interest can be crazy high.

tinktude
11-23-2007, 10:51 AM
I just took both of my kids to the orthodontist last week. The total for my son who is 10 was $6000, this was phase 1 and phase 2 treatment. He has to have the pallet expander along with the braces and the possibility of extracting some baby teeth to make room for the permanent teeth.

A friend of my son has had the same thing at another ortho's office and she said that it cost around the same.

We have an appointment on Monday for a second opinion so we will see how much they will charge.

My daughter will wait until next year for her treatment, but she will also have phase 1 and phase 2 treatment. She will have to have expanders on the top and bottom to make space for all of her teeth. Her treatment will probably cost more than my sons did, as she will have to have more work done.

My husband and I just re-enrolled for benefits, so we both put in our flexible spending accounts the maximum allowable to pay for the braces and not put it on the credit card. OUCH!!!

princessjojo
11-23-2007, 11:44 AM
We are actually in the same boat as you. My son (12 also) has had LOTS of dental work prior to now because of crowding issues. They told us if he were to grow into his teeth, he would be 7' tall. We have finally come to the point that braces will come in March to the tune of $5500. Our orthodontist is very good though and his cost is all inclusive, including 2 bleaching treatments after the braces removal. He also used to teach at the UNC Dental School as well and is on the board of dir. there now. We are using my husbands flex spending account to pay for it each month since the monies there are pre-tax amounts and theoretically we don't have to "save" the money to pay for it each month. We also have a $1500 othodontia co-pay, but a lot of that has been used already. I agree that is is a lot of money, but kids today can be so cruel when it comes to teasing other kids that like the original op, I would do what had to be done to pay for them. Our flex accounts makes it a lot easier pill to swallow though.

disneydeb
11-23-2007, 09:45 PM
I had 2 in braces, one DD had to have oral surgery during the process. She ended up costing us about 6 or 7 K. The younger only cost about 4K as her situation was less complicated. Some how it all seems to work .
Good luck!

SBETigg
11-23-2007, 10:33 PM
We're paying about $6000 per kid for braces. Most orthodontists offer payment plans to break it down into monthly expenses or lump sums, depending on what is best for you. Ours also offered a credit plan, which we declined due to the interest.

ckaranassos
11-24-2007, 08:38 AM
I am there right now. I have my 8 year old (yes 8 year old) and my 12 year old in braces. My 8 year old's teeth were so bucked he actually got his braces on first. We opted to get a first set of braces with him instead of a retainer because he loses his things from one room to the next. These will be on for 6 to 9 months and then we'll wait for more teeth to change and he'll get a second set later. (Luckily, this cost no more money than one set, and he'll wear the second set for less time than usual) My 12 year old is on a regular plan. As far as cost each set costs $4,800. I will say we have great dental w/ortho benefits. DH works for young company and 3 years ago they decided to add the ortho benefit. So we are saving a lot. We are also using an in network orthodontist. So for the two children it is costing us about $3,300. Here in NJ $5k seems to be the norm for braces. Good luck!!

Auntie
11-24-2007, 03:48 PM
Live on Long Island..have put two kids through braces. No dental insurance. Both were about $4,700.00 My daughter did wear an expander for six months prior to the braces being placed on. The price was the same regardless of whether an expander was used or not. Her's were a bit more( $500.00 more for the porcelain) because she opted for the clear braces. You could hardly see them. Which in her case was great. :thumbsup:I think younger kids..say in the elementary grades like that you can put the colored bands on the braces, only we figured that since she'd be in 7th or 8th grade by the time she had them removed..well girls of that age are a bit more self concious at that point. I'm glad we went with the clear decision. Red or green for holidays wasn't something a 8th grade girl wanted. She wore them for a bout 2 1/2 years. The treatment is the treatment..no matter how long it takes. Financed for two years. However nowdays treatment is much quicker than years ago. I remember wearing the railroad type myself for over four years.
My son wore his for about two years also. He started in 6th grade and went through to about 8th. He opted for the regular metal braces. The price was about the same as his sister...but there was an increase with the passage of time. (They are four years apart) So both cost me about $4,700. Including their retainers, and adjustments to the retainers. They wore the invisilgn retainers. He did also have a sibling discount. We didn't have to put anything down..just paid monthly, but you could put more down if you wanted to lower your payment. There was no interest charged.

DisneyCrazyET
11-25-2007, 08:54 PM
DS went through this when he was 13. He is now 17. His dentist was also an orthodontist so we went with him. he is a very good dentist, very caring. His prices were the same as others we checked out. We also have insurance. the total cost was around $4000. Insurance pd about $1500. We paid monthly no interest to the dentist. DS had them on for almost two years. He liked picking out the colors for the gum bands. He had to have his retainer replaced once at his cost. He broke it. He hasn't done that again.