PDA

View Full Version : Leap Pad vs V-Tech

Flower
11-20-2007, 11:46 AM
I am wanting to purchase a 'system' for my almost 4 year old and am not sure which to go with - what do you recommend and why?

I like the Leap Pad because of all of the books, and Brandon LOVES books, but I was reading reviews that the read & write LeapPad does not last long. Should I just get the My First LeapPad or go with a V-Tech?

Mom to a Princess and a Prince
11-20-2007, 12:34 PM
I didn't vote because I am only familiar with the My First Leap Pad. We loved it, but the books/games all seem pretty easy for my now 4 year old. He is quickly bored with it, although he did really enjoy it at age 3.

Flower
11-20-2007, 02:02 PM
Thanks Amy, that is why I like the idea of the read & write LeapPad - but not if it only lasts a little while! Brandon will be 4 in March so I would rather get him something he can grow into instead of be bored with sooner than he should.

AmberB
11-20-2007, 02:02 PM
I didn't vote, but will suggest a "wildcard." My son has a Leapster handheld game and loves it. He has the My First Leap Pad and never seemed interested in it. Maybe I gave it to him too young or didn't work enough with it. My nephews got leap pads at 2 and 3 and I don't recall them playing much with them either. All three boys have Leapsters (they got them and 3 and 4) and love them. It keeps my son busy in the car. He does pretty good with the games in his age range. I think it reinforces what he learns at preschool.

Grumpy's Daughter
11-20-2007, 04:19 PM
We've got several different systems (for several different kids!), so I can only tell you what has happened with ours. DS9 got a Leap Pad when he was about 4- and he loved it! And I loved it- I didn't have to read every single book that he brought to me, because he could be more independent. We did have a problem once with the cord that attaches the pen to the system- Andrew kept closing it in the door, so eventually it stopped working. But Leap Pad was happy to replace it for us (I think that there was a $5 shipping charge?)

Now, for DS6, we bought a Power Touch (to avoid the issues with the cord and pen). Just like Leap Pad, there are some neat books out there, but there doesn't seem to be as many. DS6 would much rather play with the Leap Pad at this point- maybe because we have more books? I'm not sure...

Last year, Santa brought the boys a V-Smile gaming system ('cause I'm not ready to get the PS or Cube yet), and they liked to play with it. But we seem to have a problem with the power cord, so sometimes it doesn't work as well as we'd like. The games are semi-challenging- because the 6 year old wants to play his older brothers games! It does get frustrating, because I have to sit close and help him. But that's just a Michael issue, wanting to be just like his big brother!

That being said, I voted for the Leap Pad- mostly because that's what DS6 seems to prefer, and because there seems to be a variety of books out there. But I don't have the Leapster, so maybe that would be better?

tyandskyesmom
11-20-2007, 04:35 PM
Skye had the My first Leap Pad. She is now 3 1/2 and recently gave it away to "a baby" because it did not have many books and then ones it did have were very babyish.

Both kids Skye and her almost 9 year old brother) still like to "play" with his Leap Pad though. For a while after she gave away her baby leap pad she had a friend who would tell her that she was bigger than Skye...Skye's reply was "I can play with my brother's leap pad!"...I guess that was proving how "big" she was! Her 4 year old friend did not get it but I did...it was very funny! ANd she used it more than once.

Any way...they also got a V Smile a year or two ago and they like to "play" that more. It was a problem though because it was played on the TV. Until we found the hand held one. Both of them love to take it with them along with the Pixter (not as educational more creative and game orientated).