PDA

View Full Version : When does the Holiday season officially kick off for you?

Jeff G
11-20-2007, 11:42 AM
Today is offically the day my family kicks off the Holiday season each year. Tonight is the Appleton Christmas Parade which we annually attend followed by inviting friends over for hot chocolate, apple cider and cookies. We also light the lights on our house tonight.

The local radio station has been playing Christmas tunes for almost a month now but when I've tuned past it hasn't felt right until today. My home, office and car are all tuned in as of this morning. Is that weird?

When does the Christmas Holiday season offically start for the rest of you? Any traditions to get it jump started?

IloveDisney71
11-20-2007, 12:09 PM
I wait until Thanksgiving day or the day after Thanksgiving to get going with my Christmas holiday. I do as much of my Christmas gift shopping as I can before Tkg. and try to finish it all on "black Friday". But I don't start listening to Christmas music until Tkg. day. I also wait to put up any of my Christmas decorations until after Tkg. I'm looking forward to spending part of my Christmas holiday season at WDW this year!:santa::tree:

PirateLover
11-20-2007, 12:18 PM
It usually has a mini kick off when I see a Christmas movie (saw fred claus last week). But the Official kickoff of what I term "party seasonn" is definitely Thanksgiving. I watch our local Philadelphia Parade which now ends with Santa dancing on th Art Museum Steps.
I call it Party Season because we are always getting together. My birthday in on Dec 3rd, then of course there is Christmas, My brother and grandfather share a birthday on the 28th, then New Years Eve and New Years Day (which is a huge celebration around here).

disneydrmr
11-20-2007, 12:27 PM
On of our local stations has been playing Christmas music for about a month here also. I have listened on and off for the last two days. This is the week that I start thinking more about Christmas. I wait until Thanksgiving Day before I put Christmas decorations up. I will start wearing my Christmas shirts/sweaters on the Friday after. I ALWAYS have my Christmas shopping done before Thanksgiving as I hate fighting the crowds.

Tiggerlovr9000
11-20-2007, 12:31 PM
The rule in our house has always been no Christmas carols or movies until after Thanksgiving. I have a hard time waiting to watch all the old movies because I love them so much..Won't have any shopping to do this year because we are going to WDW in May. That will cover all birthday,Christmas and anniversary presents this year. We did purchase Phantom of the Opera tickets for January so I guess thats one present..:thumbsup:

2Epcot
11-20-2007, 12:55 PM
I have to wait until after Thanksgiving to really start getting ready for Christmas. I moved all the decorations and Christmas tree from the shelf in the garage to the floor a week ago, but nothing goes up until Saturday. Though I did make our Christmas cards last night online and will pick them up on Friday.

mttafire
11-20-2007, 01:21 PM
For me its the day AFTER Thanksgiving.
I consider Thanksgiving sort of a forth of July type day. A day to be thankful for everything we have as Americans. It is also a day to thank the Lord for our health and lifestyle that we cherish.
The day after that though...It officially Christmas season!!:thumbsup:
Shawn

pink
11-21-2007, 07:46 PM
The day after Thanksgiving! That's when we put all of our decorations up. :deer:

However, I'm kind of embarassed to admit that I began Christmas shopping this summer! :blush: I had ideas for gifts and time, so I just decided to buy them then and even though it was really early I'm glad that I did because now I'm almost done.

:mickey:

ckaranassos
11-21-2007, 08:11 PM
The day after Thanksgiving is the day for me!! My husband goes nuts because I start the Christmas music that Friday. This year seems a little strange though because we have a full week before we hit December. It seems a little too early, but we'll see. We just watched Santa Clause 3 and ate pizza trying to get ready for all 22 people coming tomorrow. DD just said I'm kinda ready for Christmas!!

Dsnygirl
11-21-2007, 10:57 PM
:tree: :ornament: For us, it's the wknd after Thanksgiving... I love hearing the Christmas carols start on all the stations around here on Friday!! Some started a few weeks ago, but I just can't go there. ;)

I'll break out all the boxes this coming Sunday after we get home, and the girls will help me put everything up... then we'll go get our tree next weekend. :santa3: :deer:

Can't wait!! :candy:

Marilyn Michetti
11-21-2007, 11:07 PM
We usually put our tree up on Thanksgiving day, but this summer has been so miserable here in Arizona - it's still AC on in the afternoons, so I jumped the gun. I just HAVE to see Christmas, so we have three fully decorated trees, the fireplace is all lit with lights, and the stockings are hung.

Our Basset just died two weeks ago, so the distraction has helped. DD can't believe "three trees", and neither can I, but QVC had Bethlehem Light trees, and we just couldn't resist.

As for tradition, we start eating tomorrow, and stop on Jan. 2nd when nothing fits.:blush:

RenDuran
11-22-2007, 09:37 AM
Today starts the holiday feeling for me.....time to start shopping and ordering cards!

Kairi_7378
11-22-2007, 09:44 AM
Well, I don't feel right listening to Christmas music until Santa has run up the Art Museum steps. Actual preparation starts on Black Friday.

TikiGoddess
11-22-2007, 01:03 PM
We start a lot later than most posters. I have started my Xmas shopping, only because I wanted to get the kids presents before the crowds and traffic gets to be unbearable. Now that they're done I'll work on the adults presents.

We usually put up our tree and decorate the 2nd weekend in December. When we went trick-or-treating on Halloween, we went to a house where a lady already had TWO fully decorated trees on display in her house!!

If we start earlier than mid-December, I get burned out by the time the holiday comes around. I am thinking of doing an advent calendar with the kids this year and putting little treats for each day (read an Xmas book, make paper snowmen, etc.) -- just enough of a taste of the holiday season without going overboard.

Kathy