PDA

View Full Version : ADRs a bad thing?

Goofy Pluto
11-20-2007, 11:39 AM
There was another posting in this forum about the terminals you had to use back in the 80s to make dining reservations when you arrived at the Parks (at least at Epcot). This led me to thinking...

Are ADRs a bad thing?

I ask this question coming from the standpoint of that having to make ADRs as far as 6 months in advance takes a lot of spontenaity out of going to WDW. If you want to eat at a sit-down restaurant, you have to plan your entire trip months in advance. You can't just decide to play things by ear and go to whatever park you want to whatever day you want. You have to stick to a plan. I think it would be a GOOD thing if you didn't have to do this. Maybe you can make dining reservations when you arrive at any time? Or maybe they can set up a system where you can make any dining reservations you want the day of?

What do you all think about this? ADRs seem to be the way things are and I don't think they'll change any time soon, but I sure know I wouldn't mind the ability to not have to plan my entire trip, what park we are visiting exactly every day, months in advance.

Stickey
11-20-2007, 12:19 PM
I favor ADR's over a system that involves waiting in long lines for TS restaurants. Selecting TS locations and arranging ADR's is a fun part of the planning process.

The ADR system is not perfect and it can inhibit dining options for WDW trips planned on short notice. The 180 day policy is excessive. A 90 day ADR policy is sufficient. Leaving a certain percentage of tables available for walk-ins, or same day ADR's is worthy of consideration.

Rising crowd levels and substantial increases in the DDP usage have made TS restaurants much busier and ADR's necessary.

ThanxForNoticin
11-20-2007, 12:37 PM
I understand the frustration with the ADR system sometimes, but I think it has more positives than negatives. I'm also wondering if someone out there can clarify my understanding of ADRs? I believe the ADRs can be made as many as 180 days in advance, but most restaurants only release a percentage of their tables at that point. Then I thought there were more tables available at the 90-day mark, 60-day mark, and then 30-day mark - leaving some table availability for those folks making final arrangements later. I guess if the restaurants are not using that approach, they should be - but I think that's how the system works.

mickey&missy
11-20-2007, 01:16 PM
I'm also wondering if someone out there can clarify my understanding of ADRs? I believe the ADRs can be made as many as 180 days in advance, but most restaurants only release a percentage of their tables at that point. Then I thought there were more tables available at the 90-day mark, 60-day mark, and then 30-day mark - leaving some table availability for those folks making final arrangements later. I guess if the restaurants are not using that approach, they should be - but I think that's how the system works.

I'm almost positive that all tables are "released" at once. I don't think they hold any for later release. Making last minute reservations is VERY hard and you have to be VERY flexible.

I can totally see peoples frustration with the ADR system. I think, IMHO, that when you make our deposit on your WDW vacation that you should get info about making ADR's. If you call and put the deposit down the CM should tell you 180 days out from the 1st day of your trip you can make dining reservations and its a really good idea to do so. If you make the deposit online you should get an email or something. I've seen people freakout at CM (at Crystal Palace and Chef Mickey's) because they didn't know about ADR's. I know someone who went on Thanksgiving a few years ago and ate hot dogs from Casey's for Thanksgiving dinner because they didn't know either. (I didn't know her at the time, otherwise I would have told her)

That being said, I think the basis for the ADR system is a good idea. Yes, I agree 180 days maybe a bit far out. I liked 90 days. I also have big problem with them seating people who are 20 or 30 minutes late for their ressies before me when I was there 10 minutes early like your supposed to be. I hate waiting because others can't be on time. But, I think without the majority of people having ADR's there would be mass confusion at the restaurants. I also think that if they had a day-of ressie system there would be mass confusion at the places you could make the ressies. That would detract from the magic of a WDW vacation.

I really like having a plan. I plan around our ADR's. I know that on March 9th we have dinner ressies at Chef Mickey's, so we'll spend the day at MK and probably spend part of the afternoon at the resort (poly). I know that on March 13th we have ressies for dinner and Fantasmic, so we'll spend the morning at AK, take a break and spend the afternoon/evening at MGM.

There are areas that could be improved, but I really think that, when it comes down to it, the system is a good idea.

JPL
11-20-2007, 01:20 PM
All tables can be booked up 180 days out no tables are held back any more. So a restaurant can completely sell out 6 months in advance. In the past they use to make 80% of the tables available for advanced reservations and hold back 20% for walk-ups but this isn't happening any more. So for the popular restaurants it's a 180 days out or forget about it. Of course the time of year you are going does play a role in availability.

I don't have a problem with ADR's but I think some tables should be held for walk ups allowing for some flexibility. At times I don't even know 180 days in advance that I am going and the current system shuts me out of most TS restaurants.

LibertyTreeGal
11-20-2007, 02:31 PM
Hoop Dee Doo actually does withhold a certain number of tables for the 180 day mark -- that's so the 180 day +10 folks don't snatch everything up. When I made mine six months ago, at first she couldn't find us a tier 1 table and told us to call back at the 180 day mark.

KylesMom
11-20-2007, 02:43 PM
I actually like the ADR system, but like many I would like it see it changed back to 90 days from 180. Goodness, we're starting to discuss our ADRs now for July of '08. As much as we love to plan as a family, it's really difficult to have all our ducks in a row at 180 days.

That being said, we've been going every year since 2000 and with the exception of one time at Whispering Canyon right at opening for dinner have never had luck walking up to any TS restaurant. This includes Ohana, Chef Mickey's, Crystal Palace, Mama Melrose, Sci-Fi and many others. That's why we insist on having the ADRs in place. Are ADRs a bad thing? Nah. Just a bit overwhelming six months before departure! :mickey:

Epc0tphr34k
11-20-2007, 02:45 PM
i like adrs but i think the system needs to be reeled in. its nice that people can get stuff 6 monthes in advanced but i really think 1-3 monthes in aadvanced is fine. this brings up a problem which i have heard about, since people don't know what they are doing six monthes in advanced they make several adrs for the same day
just in case. i make my adrs now only because i don't wanna get stuck with just hamburgers for dinner. It used to be i would just make 1 or 2 for a week long trip to make sure i got in the places i definately wanted to go. there is no need to make a reservation 6 monthes out unless you are doing a birthday request or special event for someone. except for the current need disney has produced.

i feel bad for the family that goes for the first time and does not know they have to select from 80 restaurants they have never gone to up to 6 monthes in advance. for most of us who have been a dozen or more times we know we have an idea what we want to do or at least have an idea of what is out there.

Seasonscraps
11-20-2007, 11:27 PM
I find them to be a necessary evil. I don't like that there's a need to make some reservations so far in advance. And I don't like that it's not actually a reservation for a table but for a place in line.

kakn7294
11-21-2007, 07:16 AM
I like making ADR's but I do agree that 180 days is much too far in advance. IMO, they should go back to the 90 day window and then keep a certain portion of tables available for same-day reservations and walk-ups.

BTW, Kyle's Mom, we're with you. We've been discussing our next trip's ADR's since we were there this past August!

Kairi_7378
11-21-2007, 08:46 AM
The ADR system is not perfect and it can inhibit dining options for WDW trips planned on short notice. The 180 day policy is excessive. A 90 day ADR policy is sufficient. Leaving a certain percentage of tables available for walk-ins, or same day ADR's is worthy of consideration.

I agree with you 100%. It is not uncommon to make a reservation to a very nice restaurant 1-3 months in advance, so i don't have a problem doing that at Disney. However, I don't understand why should I have to make a reservation at LeCellier 180 days in advance when I can't make a reservation at the Four Seasons (5 star restaurant) in Philadelphia more than 90 days in advance?

i feel bad for the family that goes for the first time and does not know they have to select from 80 restaurants they have never gone to up to 6 monthes in advance. for most of us who have been a dozen or more times we know we have an idea what we want to do or at least have an idea of what is out there.

I agree with you! I was soooo overwhelmed when I planned my first trip (made reservations 5 weeks in advance for a Spring Break trip! Crazy!)

Our compromise on the DDP is that DH and I only use our TS credits for Signature Dining restaurants so we don't make ADR's for every night. This allows us to pace ourselves so we aren't stuffed all of the time and allows some flexibility for walk ins or CS meals.

DDuck66
11-21-2007, 09:11 AM
We live about an hour away and we make a lot of quick little trips with only a week or two notice. We have always (so far) been able to get an ADR. We only have two people and we usually try to eat at odd times like a late lunch or an early dinner. I also like to know that when I go on my trips, that I will be able to eat where I want to. Without ADR's, you might have 2 and 3 hour waits with no guarantee that you could go elsewhere.

thrillme
11-21-2007, 09:22 AM
I'm probably going to get flamed for this but I hate hate hate :mad: the ADR system. I think it's HORRIBLE. The ONLY exception is if you're planning a "magical gathering" or perhaps a "character meal". Other than that I wish it would go back to the same system they had in the 80's you walked up and ate when you were hungry or what you were craving...waited 30 minutes or maybe an hour...or you put in a reservation for your favorite resturant at whatever time first thing in the morning of your visit.

I can't even plan for a week of food here when I'm at home. I don't know what I'm going to want to eat day by day. I can't even tell you what TIME we're going to eat (except on Thursdays...dinner must be ready by 7:00 for Survivor). On "vacation" I want to get AWAY from a HARD schedule. I might plan in general what park we might be hitting and when but even that can sometimes change.

I really don't have a CLUE how anybody can PLAN "where" they're going to be 180 days from now at 6:00 pm. What if the line is pretty low for Space Mountian or Splash Mountian or Mission Space etc. You really want to give up the chance to ride it 5 times because you have a dinner reservation that you made 180 days ago? What if little Bobby Joe or Janie Sue gets hungry at 3:30 and they're absolutely going to "wither away" before 6:00. You give them a snack then at 6:00 they're not hungry. What if hubby absolutely craves a steak on chicken day?

Like I said...other than perhaps a Character Meal or perhaps a Magical Gathering...I just can't PLAN like that. When my late hubby and I went to Disney for our honeymoon he really wanted some German food. We stopped in at the "kiosk" put in our reservations that day then showed up about that time for the meal. Other than that everything else was walk-in.

ElenitaB
11-21-2007, 09:59 AM
Maybe it's because I live in a city where you often can't get reservations at the most popular restaurants except for months in advance, I have no issue with the ADR system. That said, I did prefer when you made your reservations 90 days out and not the current 180 days.

Jared
11-21-2007, 10:35 AM
The concept of Advance Dining Reservations is completely practical and necessary, but the formula is failing. Though the reservation policy in the 80s may seem like a viable solution, the parks are simply too expansive and crowded to support all those diners without the preparation provided by the current system.

Like many others, I don't like booking meals 180 days in advance. Often, my family hasn't even planned a trip six months beforehand, and we're left scrambling to find open tables at the end. The Disney Dining Plan, especially the free dining promotion, has really hurt the restaurants in general.

But if my two choices are no reservations or making reservations 180 days in advance, I'll take the latter and deal with the problems.

SurferStitch
11-21-2007, 12:53 PM
I prefer to make ADR's for our meals. We book all of our dinners (we like to do very nice TS meals for dinner), and some breakfasts. I couldn't imagine going back to just walking up and getting a table. Imagine how long the waits would be with how many people are in WDW on any given day!

I don't really feel like we lose any spontaneity on our trips with ADR's. It's no big deal to park hop if we are dining in a park. If we are dining at a resort (which is about 75% of the time), it really doesn't impact our plans for the day.

I strongly dislike the 180 day policy, though. 90 days was perfectly fine, and I wish they would go back to that again.

DisneyTwinsMommy
11-21-2007, 01:51 PM
Let me just throw out this idea... what if you were only allowed to made ADRs the day of... for everyone... So, you would be able to call or go there and make a reservation for later in the day... That way, you will know where you want to go, and you can be WAY more flexible... what do you thinK? :mickey:

thrillme
11-21-2007, 02:02 PM
Let me just throw out this idea... what if you were only allowed to made ADRs the day of... for everyone... So, you would be able to call or go there and make a reservation for later in the day... That way, you will know where you want to go, and you can be WAY more flexible... what do you thinK? :mickey:

Other than Character Meals (which were extremely limited at the time) and Magical Gatherings (where some large group wanted a certian place)...you're describing EXACTLY the way it was in the 80's. It was fabulous.

SurferStitch
11-21-2007, 02:59 PM

Nah....because, with the high demand for TS dining anymore, I don't want to worry about being on the phone or at the front desk at 7:00 am every morning of my vacation to make sure I get the dinner ressie I want. That's pretty much how it would have to be. Everyone would want to be first to get the best pick.

No thanks.

ibelieveindisneymagic
11-22-2007, 08:27 AM
Although I like to joke about the craziness of making ADR's so early, I would much rather have them planned than have to worry about each day, and where we are going, and will we be able to get what we want.

In the end, 90-days, 180-days, it doesn't really matter, I have no idea what I'm going to want to eat, so we pick restuarants we want to try, in locations that fit into our plans for the day.

It is a little crazy though...I don't know what I'm having for dinner tonight, but I know where I'm eating May 10 -17 2008! :mickey:

Speedy1998
11-22-2007, 09:24 AM

2 reasons it will not work. 1. WDW phone system would crash every morning as every single resort guest tried to call in at the same time to make their ADR's for the day. 2. The same people who are complaining that they can not plan 6 months in advance would complain about having to plan for dinner first thing in the moring.

IMHO the problem is not the ADR system, the problem is DDP. Prior to DDP only the character meals and dinner shows required an ADR ( or priority seating if you go a little furthur back). With DDP and everyone getting a TS meal 1 time per day all the TS are now close to capacity. Also prior to DDP you had more people eating a big breakfast because it was cheaper. Now people are trying to maximize the value of their DDP by eating their TS at dinner.

Just an observation, prior to DDP the resort food courts and CS restaurants were a lot busier, people just went for the cheaper food at most meals when they were paying OOP.

Rodders
11-22-2007, 09:46 AM
Interesting topic. I personally hate them but I feel it's a necessary evil for the reasons stated above. It's a shame but there is no perfect way to run the system.

lightyearfan
11-23-2007, 01:49 PM
well me and dw are in favor of the ADR's, only because of the DDP. when were going to be spending the money up front for the DDP, i need to know that we'll be able to do TS resturants, and if ADR's weren't available then the point would be mute in getting the DDP. on the other hand for folks that have been to WDW multiple times, we all pretty much know the layout and the how to's of all the parks. now i can only speak for me and dw, we like the fact that we know what parks that we'll doing on that perticular day, it makes the pre-planning fun, and we then at that point make our ADR, and once that is finished, we can now got that park and be as open minded to do what ever strikes us at that point, be as spontaneus as we want to be knowing that we'll have a great TS meal waiting for toward the end of our day. response is of course (IMHO)

Victor:tree::santa3: