PDA

View Full Version : Magic Kingdom vs. Disneyland

Crystal Palace
11-20-2007, 10:46 AM
For those of you who've been to both places, which park do you like better? Which lands do you think are better in which park? I grew up in California, and went to Disneyland many times. I took my first trip ever to WDW this year, and was so impressed. In fact, I like it better than Disneyland. This is what I think about each land:

Main Street: Magic Kingdom's. It's bigger, but yet seems more intimate. I think they took greater care in the detail of each building. And the castle...so much bigger and more impressive looking!

Adventureland: Magic Kingdom's. I like how it's more spaced out. Disneyland's is so small that you can barely get through it on a crowded day. The Jungle Cruise is so much better. I love the treasure tunnel you go through. However, Pirates is not better than Disneyland's.

Tomorrowland: Magic Kingdom's. It's so much more visually, plus they still have the PeopleMover!

Fantasyland: It's a tie. I love them both.

Frontierland: Magic Kingdom's. Again, it's bigger and better themed.

Liberty Square vs. New Orlean's Square: I like New Orlean's Square better, because it's just so nostalgic for me.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. I'd like to hear everyone else's thoughts too!

faline
11-20-2007, 10:51 AM
While at one park or the other, I can think about how something is different, but I can't say that one is better than the other. Both are unique, fun places to visit!

Aggie97
11-20-2007, 10:57 AM
I'm not sure that I prefer either park over the other, but I did really like New Orleans Square and some of the cute Fantasyland rides at DL! :mickey:

mttafire
11-20-2007, 11:49 AM
I like Disneyland better. Na, I like the M.k. better....LOL TOUGH choice!HOWEVER, As a vacation destination I'll ALWAYS choose WDW over Disneyland resort.
Disneyland is a special place. We were just there a couple years ago. I have always agreed with others though, "They are two different places" BOTH are fantastic on their own merit.:thumbsup:
Shawn

mttafire
11-20-2007, 11:50 AM
For those of you who've been to both places, which park do you like better? Which lands do you think are better in which park? I grew up in California, and went to Disneyland many times. I took my first trip ever to WDW this year, and was so impressed. In fact, I like it better than Disneyland. This is what I think about each land:

Main Street: Magic Kingdom's. It's bigger, but yet seems more intimate. I think they took greater care in the detail of each building. And the castle...so much bigger and more impressive looking!

Adventureland: Magic Kingdom's. I like how it's more spaced out. Disneyland's is so small that you can barely get through it on a crowded day. The Jungle Cruise is so much better. I love the treasure tunnel you go through. However, Pirates is not better than Disneyland's.

Tomorrowland: Magic Kingdom's. It's so much more visually, plus they still have the PeopleMover!

Fantasyland: It's a tie. I love them both.

Frontierland: Magic Kingdom's. Again, it's bigger and better themed.

Liberty Square vs. New Orlean's Square: I like New Orlean's Square better, because it's just so nostalgic for me.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. I'd like to hear everyone else's thoughts too!

You summed it up pretty well!:thumbsup:
Shawn

SignguyTom
11-20-2007, 12:30 PM
Pros for Disneyland:

Attractions updated, longer or not at MK:

Star Tours
Indiana Jones
Alice in Wonderland
HIStA
Storybook Land Canal Boats
Casey Jr. Circus Train
Finding Nemo Subs
Matterhorn
A Real Main St. Cinema
Big Thunder Ranch
Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin
Autopia (Much longer track than MK Speedway)
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
Better Space Mountain (New track, awesome sound system)
Better Pirates (2 drops, Several additional scenes)
New Orleans Square

Pros for MK:

Attractions updated, longer or not at DL:

Mickey's Philharmagic
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (30% longer than DL)
Aladdin's Flying Carpets
Better Jungle Cruise
Better Queue lines overall
Liberty Square

I'm not quite as familiar with MK as I am with DL, so if I missed something, feel free to add it.

Bottom line (for me, at least) Disneyland wins over MK. BUT WDW wins over DLR. :mickey:

DVCWDWMEMBER
11-20-2007, 12:37 PM
I have a hard time picking what destination I like better. We have been to WDW and Disneyland and love both places. I do feel that being at Disneyland gives me a little more of the nostalgic feeling ,after all Walt walked there :mickey:.

Crystal Palace
11-20-2007, 12:57 PM
Pros for Disneyland:

Attractions updated, longer or not at MK:

Star Tours
Indiana Jones
Alice in Wonderland
HIStA
Storybook Land Canal Boats
Casey Jr. Circus Train
Finding Nemo Subs
Matterhorn
A Real Main St. Cinema
Big Thunder Ranch
Autopia (Much longer track than MK Speedway)
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
Better Space Mountain (New track, awesome sound system)
Better Pirates (2 drops, Several additional scenes)
New Orleans Square

Pros for MK:

Attractions updated, longer or not at DL:

Mickey's Philharmagic
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (30% longer than DL)
Aladdin's Flying Carpets
Better Jungle Cruise
Better Queue lines overall
Liberty Square

I'm not quite as familiar with MK as I am with DL, so if I missed something, feel free to add it.

Bottom line (for me, at least) Disneyland wins over MK. BUT WDW wins over DLR. :mickey:

I definately agree. Also the PeopleMover and Country Bears..seeing them again brought back so many memories!

Crystal Palace
11-20-2007, 12:58 PM
You summed it up pretty well!:thumbsup:
Shawn

Thanks!!:D

Carol
11-20-2007, 01:27 PM
I prefer Disneyland. Although Walt Disney World holds a lot of wonderful family memories for me - I enjoy the relaxed pace of Disneyland much, much more.

In fact my trips for Disney will all be in California in 2008. It's much more low-key and you cannot beat the nostalgia and weather. I love the fact you do not have to take buses to get everywhere. It's much more vacation-like. :) Plus I dislike the Florida weather more and more each time I visit.

Give me the California sun over that nasty Florida humidity any day! :sun: Thank goodness I can use my Vacation club points there.

To each their own!

Disney-lovin' Dutchman
11-20-2007, 05:54 PM
Overall, WDW wins.
But that is taking Epcot and Studios into consideration. If I just look at MK and Disneyland, it would have to be Disneyland.

- The feeling is more magical, because you know Walt was here :-)
- Their Tomorrowland is better (except for TTA)
- Their Fantasyland has better rides (I LOVE Alice in Wonderland and Mr. Toads Ride)
- The overall feeling is more intimate
- POTC is much better
- Haunted Mansion Holiday is my favorite ride IN THE WORLD :number1:
- Splash Mountain is different which is fun
- It's a Small World holiday is amazing
- I love Toontown!!
- Did i mention Haunted Mansion Holiday? :jack:

This is off course not to say that MK isn't good!

- The Castle is much bigger and imposing
- They have TTA
- Peter Pan's Flight has FastPass here ;)

EPCOT84
11-20-2007, 06:14 PM
Hmm. Disney Lovin' Dutchman, I see you've been to DLP lots and you're in Holland. Let's take it one step further, an expand internationally !!:

Which park and what part of the park:

Disneyland, Magic Kingdom, Tokyo Disneyland, Disneyland Paris, Hong Kong Disneyland?

For me, between DL, MK, and TDL, here is what charms me at each park:

DL: Its the original. Walt's home. New Orleans Square.
MK: Wow. I like it all.
TDL: I call it "MK plus" and their Tomorrowland is still the original style entryway but missing the Peoplemover. Its got the DL style New Orleans Potc building and IASM (except the loading area is MK style).

grego77
11-20-2007, 09:09 PM
I'll make this short and sweet. I've been to both and here's what I think:

Magic Kingdom (and WDW in general) = QUANTITY
Disneyland = QUALITY

-There are more rides and attractions in general at MK. BUT...
- POTC = roughly a 15min ride of non-stop fun at DL...only around 3mins at MK
- IASW = around twice the length...and MUCH better at DL
- Fantasyland in general is more authentic and you have Mr. Toad and Alice and Pinocchio...all fun. Only downside is my favorite ride HANDS DOWN is Mickey's Philharmagic. Get that in DL, and I'm 100% sold for life!
- There is ABSOLUTELY no question that the new Space Mtn at DL is SOOOO far better than MK's soon-to-be refurbished counterpart.
- Tiki Room at MK is an abomination. DL's ORIGINAL version is timeless and SOOO much fun!

Overall, I definitely enjoy Disneyland more. However, if given the choice, I would take the flight down to FL because I love Animal Kingdom so much.
Regardless, in CA, I feel the CMs are more friendly (odd...eh?), and the weather is obviously better too. As mentioned above, the rides are better quality and more authentic.

mttafire
11-20-2007, 09:44 PM
I'll make this short and sweet. I've been to both and here's what I think:

Magic Kingdom (and WDW in general) = QUANTITY
Disneyland = QUALITY

-There are more rides and attractions in general at MK. BUT...
- POTC = roughly a 15min ride of non-stop fun at DL...only around 3mins at MK
- IASW = around twice the length...and MUCH better at DL
- Fantasyland in general is more authentic and you have Mr. Toad and Alice and Pinocchio...all fun. Only downside is my favorite ride HANDS DOWN is Mickey's Philharmagic. Get that in DL, and I'm 100% sold for life!
- There is ABSOLUTELY no question that the new Space Mtn at DL is SOOOO far better than MK's soon-to-be refurbished counterpart.
- Tiki Room at MK is an abomination. DL's ORIGINAL version is timeless and SOOO much fun!

Overall, I definitely enjoy Disneyland more. However, if given the choice, I would take the flight down to FL because I love Animal Kingdom so much.
Regardless, in CA, I feel the CMs are more friendly (odd...eh?), and the weather is obviously better too. As mentioned above, the rides are better quality and more authentic.
you must have a typo...M.k. POTC is much longer than 3 min....

Melanie
11-20-2007, 11:29 PM
I've been to 3 of the worldwide Magic Kingdom parks, and each has something unique I love.

Love Philharmagic, Liberty Square in Florida.

Love New Orleans Square, Fantasyland and Space Mountain in California.

Love the large Castle grounds/area and also the Queen of Hearts Banquet Hall in Tokyo.

Overall, I prefer California. :balloon:

Friend of Figment
11-20-2007, 11:37 PM
Last fall my Mom and I went to Disneyland for a few days as part of a longer trip. I told myself that that would be my Disney fix for the year - but it just made want to go to WDW more. (Which I have to admit I did!)

I love the Storyland Canal and the landscaping at DL, but overall it seemed dirtier, less friendly and less magical than MK. My reaction surprised me - but that's how we both felt.

nellyj
11-21-2007, 03:07 AM
well, i have been to disneyland california , disneyworld orlando and disneyland paris numerous times. in regards to which of the american ones are best...i'd just like to say...both are fantastic, mainly due to the cast members . unlike the paris park which has the worst cast members ever. they are rude and extremely unfriendly towards children and foreigners.
so, instead of making a decision on which of the american parks is the best...i'd like to congratulate both for being the 2 happiest places on earth.
p.s. just like to add that after travelling all over the world with my kids the americans are the most welcoming nation. well done to you :thumbsup::mickey:

Lulie
11-21-2007, 04:10 AM
I have been to WDW numerous times since I grew up in FL. We went to DL this past summer and I must say, I loved it! We were there for 2 days and I felt like it was plenty of time to see everything. I wasn't overwhelmed by the size of it like WDW.

Like I said, I started going to WDW in '75. The MK was the only thing there along with a few Deluxe resorts. I remember riding the monorail over to see them building EPCOT. Whenever a friend tells me they are visiting WDW for the first time, I fell a sense of anxiety! I can't imagine going there now for the first time! I am glad that I got to know WDW in "stages"!

grego77
11-21-2007, 07:53 AM
you must have a typo...M.k. POTC is much longer than 3 min....
take a stopwatch the next time you go. I'm 100% sure I'm not far off! :mickey:

disneydrmr
11-21-2007, 10:06 AM
Sorry, but I really don't see how you can compare the two and come out with one on top. I went to WDW last December, and just went to DLR (for the first time ever) at the start of this month. Both are unique, both are magical and both strike me as being the Happiest places on earth. Sure, there are differences between the two.. but I'm sure there are differences between your own children and I'm sure (or at least hoping) that you don't love one child more than another. No, I'm sorry, but I believe that anyone who truely loves and "gets' Disney would not be able to choose one park over another. One might be bigger, one might be smaller, one might have more rides or less rides, etc.. but BOTH have MAGIC! And isn't THAT what we go to Disney for? That special brand of magic?

MMouse6937
11-21-2007, 10:18 AM
Anyone who knows me at all on here knows that I was not that impressed with DL at all. I got the whole original thing and the place where Walt walked, etc but it was a big disappointment. I have to say I did like their POTC better and really did like New Orlean's square, but on the whole MK in WDW is my hands down favorite. DL seemed small, and it is, they only had so much land to work with and the castle was teeny tiny to me (DH asked me what happened to the castle :) ) I appreciate the nostalgia of DL but it didn't do it for me. :mickey:

Crystal Palace
11-21-2007, 10:32 AM
Sorry, but I really don't see how you can compare the two and come out with one on top. I went to WDW last December, and just went to DLR (for the first time ever) at the start of this month. Both are unique, both are magical and both strike me as being the Happiest places on earth. Sure, there are differences between the two.. but I'm sure there are differences between your own children and I'm sure (or at least hoping) that you don't love one child more than another. No, I'm sorry, but I believe that anyone who truely loves and "gets' Disney would not be able to choose one park over another. One might be bigger, one might be smaller, one might have more rides or less rides, etc.. but BOTH have MAGIC! And isn't THAT what we go to Disney for? That special brand of magic?

I'm just saying which park I prefer, since I have now been to both. I have been to Disneyland many many times. I grew up with it and it will always be a special place for me. Now that I've been to WDW, I realize that they have a lot more different things to offer, and I was excited about that. I don't think you should insinuate that I don't truly love or "get" Disney. That's a very arrogant statement to make. You aren't inside my head nor do you know anything about me to make that judgement.

Okay, let's get back to the friendly discussion it was before. Thanks.

Von-Drake
11-21-2007, 10:37 AM
I think most of the rides are better at WDW, but I did like a lot of the queue lines at DL better. Some of them, especially the older rides, seemed to have more detail and more ride related things to look at. Some examples are Mr. Toad's and Snow White.

TheDuckRocks
11-21-2007, 11:49 AM
I love Disney and I'm so glad that I've been to both Dl and MK. :balloon:
My first experiences were at Dl where I have been going from the first year they opened and I've only recently moved to the east coast and been going to WDW.
IMHO you can not beat the complete experience WDW, but there are certain things that DL has that are far better than what is offered at MK. Here's my list of things I like better at DL or that are missing at MK:
Exteriors of HM and all of Fantasyland
Toontown
Main Street
New Orleans Square
Toad's Wild Ride
Indiana Jones Ride
Storyboat Land Canal Boats
IASW
Tiki Room
and Fantasmic! other than having good seating in FL doesn't come close to the one at DL
Which one will I go to? Both!!!:D

Taja
11-21-2007, 12:35 PM
I grew up and with Disneyland. Really! My first visit was about 2 weeks after the grand opening! I was pretty young, but I have some specific memories: riding Dumbo with my father (almost all of the parents riding were the mothers!); being terrified of going into the whale's mouth, being terrified of the noise the doors made when opening and closing in Peter Pan and a few other things.

I'll always have a special place in my heart for Disneyland. The first time I visited WDW in 1981--when MK was the only park--I was so excited to finally be able to visit WDW! I also was a little let-down, particularly with Fantasyland. Many areas felt as though they were under construction (a few actually were!), as the building facades looked like plywood job site walls with murals painted on them! IASW at MK completely puzzled me. If IASW at Disneyland was so incredible--and it was nearly 20 years old at the time--why was the one at WDW so nondescript? And POTC :( While I enjoyed it, I definitely was disappointed.

And Cinderella's castle was downright gaudy! *LOL* If you weren't around during Disneyland's early years, you may not know that the back of Sleeping Beauty's castle was grey concrete block. The only colour in the area was banners!

Needless to say, after numerous visits to WDW (beginning in 2003--had 22 years between visits #1 & #2), I grew to appreciate WDW. I love it as a vacation destination. I can stay on site or not. I can use WDW transportation or not. And I love the perks for staying on site at WDW!

For me, Disneyland is wonderful, but it's still a day trlp rather than a vacation destination. Even with California Adventure, it's two days maximum.

I always tell everyone to appreciate each park/resort as it is. There will be inevitable comparisons, but each one has its own strengths and beauty. :thumbsup:

Carol
11-21-2007, 02:51 PM
I think most of the rides are better at WDWAt Magic Kingdom? :scratch:

Disney-lovin' Dutchman
11-21-2007, 04:35 PM
Hmm. Disney Lovin' Dutchman, I see you've been to DLP lots and you're in Holland. Let's take it one step further, an expand internationally !!:

Which park and what part of the park:

Disneyland, Magic Kingdom, Tokyo Disneyland, Disneyland Paris, Hong Kong Disneyland?

Well, if I can include Disneyland Paris it's getting harder to choose...I've been there so many times and I will never forget that I was 8 years old and watched in amazement near the Castle at the Main Street Electrical Parade on New Year just before the fireworks..I have never been more content in my life!

DLP has some advantages:
- POTC has the coolest queue ever!
- Frontierland is the best frontierland! Phantom Manor and BTMR look so cool
- Skull Rock is great
- Alice in Wonderlands Labyrinth is amazing! I love Alice in Wonderland!

But I still have to go with Disneyland Anaheim..

devoted93
11-21-2007, 07:27 PM
take a stopwatch the next time you go. I'm 100% sure I'm not far off! :mickey:

Looking at video/audio files I have, here are the times I've got for POTC:

Disneyland (2006) - A hair under 10 minutes.
WDW (2006) - Roughly 8 minutes.

About two minutes difference, I think mostly the beginning section with the Bayou in Disneyland.

grego77
11-21-2007, 08:04 PM
interesting...guess I was wrong. I still PREFER DL's version...maybe I feel it's much longer because there's more scenes. Oh well...thanks for informing me! :mickey:

Lacy
11-21-2007, 08:19 PM

I think this sums it up. To me there is just something about Disneyland that it is the original park that puts it way above the Magic Kingdom. However, DLR can't compete with WDW as a whole.

grego77
11-21-2007, 09:52 PM
I think this sums it up. To me there is just something about Disneyland that it is the original park that puts it way above the Magic Kingdom. However, DLR can't compete with WDW as a whole.

...my sentiments exactly.

Maleficent's Dad
11-21-2007, 10:45 PM
We now have a beach place on the left coast, and for the past few years have been visiting DL in the summer. We're DVC members and go to WDW about 3 times a year.

Both have much to offer.

As far as a "resort" is concerned, DL can't compete with the magnitude of offerings at WDW. The Florida complex is huge and has more variety in terms of parks, dining, and recreation options.

DL Park has some fabulous things that are not available at WDW. These include rides such as Mr. Toad's, Alice in Wonderland, and New Orleans Square.

As far as CM's are concerned, we've found the FL workers to be more polite and accomodating than those in California. And while the CM's in shows (the "actors") in DL might be a bit more talented, we did not find them to be overly superior to those in WDW. Our experience is that the CM's in DL can be plain rude. This is something we've not experienced in Florida.

I do truly appreciate aspects from both parks. Yes, DLP is Walt's original. But I also feel that the Disney Company learned from DL and improved on ideas when it comes to WDW.

Comparing rides? Tough one. DL doesn't offer the sheer number of attractions found in Florida, but with what they've got, they do a darned good job. Some of my favorite attractions are found in California Adventure - not the original DLPark. I love Aladdin's show, Mike & Sulley to the Rescue, Maliboomer, and Cali Screamin'.

It's also true that SM and Pirates at DL are far superior to their counterparts in Florida.

But we prefer the Florida destination over the California destination. If we didn't have a place in California, we would, in all likelihood, never return to DL as our "destination." It would be more of a "stop-off" on a West Coast trip. Florida, at least for my family, is a destination in and of itself.

As Carol stated earlier, "To each their own!"

SpecJoe Magic
11-22-2007, 06:57 AM
I like them both equally for different reasons.

1. MK's Adventureland is larger and more spread out so it's easier to travel through there on a busy day as opposed to the small size of DL's Adventureland that creates major traffic jams on a busy day. However, DL has the amazing Indiana Jones Adventure that is far better than anything MK's Adventureland has to offer. I prefer DL's Adventureland.

2. It's difficult to compare New Orleans Square at DL to any land at WDW. New Orleans Square is a unique treat at DL that has great theming as well as two incredible Disney classics, Pirates of the Caribbean and The Haunted Mansion. Pirates at DL is superior to MK's Pirates. DL's Pirates is longer and more detailed with a better atmosphere. The only thing I like better about MK's Pirates is the queue. DL's Haunted Mansion has a better queue area including both the outside and inside, but I prefer the ride itself at MK because it's longer and has scenes that DL's Haunted Mansion doesn't have.

3. Splash Mountain at DL is located in Critter Country, and it's the only attraction in that land that I like. However, MK's Splash Mountain is much better. DL's Splash Mountain seems to have too much going on because of all of the America Sings characters (an extinct Tomorrowland attraction that featured various singing animals) that have been relocated inside the attraction, and some of those characters seem out of place. In addition, the log design at DL causes it to move through the ride much too fast. MK's Splash Mountain has a more cohesive cast of characters with better looking animatronics, and the logs move through the ride at an appropriate speed. There's also a Winnie the Pooh attraction in that land at DL but it's about the same as MK's Pooh ride, and I don't care much for either.

4. Frontierland is better at MK. Big Thunder Mountain is much more impressive at MK and DL's Frontierland seems insignificant.

5. Fantasyland is far better at DL. They still have Mr. Toad's Wild Ride plus two dark rides that MK doesn't have, Alice in Wonderland and Pinocchio's Daring Journey. It's a Small World at DL is on a grand scale. The outside area is awesome with nice topiary and a beautifully detailed facade. There is also a neat Storybook Land area that can be viewed by either riding a boat or a train, a Fantasyland Theater, and the Matterhorn. DL's Fantasyland also looks better due to the facades at most of the attractions. The only thing I like better about MK's Fantasyland is that it contains Mickey's Philharmagic. So, more attractions with better atmosphere makes DL's Fantasyland a clear winner.

6. Toontown isn't even close. DL's Toontown feels like stepping into a cartoon based on the place in the Roger Rabbit movie. It's a delightful place to look at and contains a fun dark ride based on Roger Rabbit as well as a few attractions aimed at kids. MK's Toontown Fair feels like an afterthought that was thrown together haphazardly, which makes sense because that really is what happened.

7. Tomorrowland is better at MK. Not only does it have better theming, it also has the TTA and Carousel of Progress, which are absent from DL. DL does have an updated Space Mountain and a new Finding Nemo submarine ride, but I don't believe that they make the land better than MK's Tomorrowland.

8. DL's Main Street has a more intimate feel that still has the Penny Arcade and a few other places that have been removed at MK's Main Street. MK's Main Street is more impressive in scale. Both of them have their merits, but Cinderella Castle at MK is so grand and beautiful that Sleeping Beauty Castle at DL, while nice in its own way, cannot even compare. For that reason, MK's Main Street seems more magical.

9. DL has Fantasmic that some consider to be better than the one at the Studios in WDW and the most amazing display of fireworks that I've ever seen, Remember...Dreams Come True (I hope that's the right name). MK has the awesome Spectro Magic and Wishes, which is an impressive fireworks show in its own right. I give a slight edge to DL because of the fireworks show assuming that they are still running the same one.

In addition, they both have intangibles that are difficult to describe. As you can see, both are magical and worth visiting so I can't decide which one I like better.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
11-22-2007, 08:22 PM
I am so glad to see this thread. We are in the very early stages of planning a trip to DL next fall instead of our annual trip to WDW.
We have family in California that we have not seen in years so, it would be a two fold trip. Going to Disneyland and seeing family.
One question though...Would it really only take us two days to see everything??

Flying from LI to California would be a pretty big trip for us. I would hate to be out of things to do in two days. Thanks guys!!

TheDuckRocks
11-23-2007, 10:35 AM
Flying from LI to California would be a pretty big trip for us. I would hate to be out of things to do in two days. Thanks guys!!

You will not run out of things to do in SoCal! There are tons of things that are outside of the DLR area but with a rental car are very easy to get to. Here are a few suggestions:
1) San Diego with the Zoo, Old Town and of course Sea World.
2) Knotts Berry Farm - can't miss having one of Mrs. Knotts chicken dinners.
3) The beach cities - Newport, Balboa Island, and Laguna to name a few.
4) Tacky, tacky Hollywood and Beverly Hills.

Google California vacation and I bet you'll come up with a lot more things than just Disney and visiting with the family.

OMGosh how could I have missed putting driving by Disney Studios on this list!!!

EPCOT84
11-23-2007, 11:58 AM
Getting back to the original reason for this thread.... (long ramble from the west coast):

Perhaps this says something: I live just a freeway hop away from DLR. I've grown up with years of going to Disneyland, sometimes multiple times a year but now do I go to DL? Not so often. Why? Once I visited WDW, I was hooked and all of a sudden DL and the DLR area was a let-down.

I have to remind myself that Uncle Walt bought up all that land in Florida because he saw what happened in and around Disneyland - encroaching ticky tacky motels and the traffic.

In recent years, the City of Anaheim and the Walt Disney Company refocused their efforts to make the DLR more of a vacation desination. Adding the new freeway and road improvements, adding DCA, adding DTD, converting their "other" hotel into PPH, and building the Grand Californian has made the area as beautiful as can be, given the logistical challenges of the area. But it will never be able to match the beauty and expanse of WDW.

To those planning two day trips, check out the DLR boards for more info. I really think if you take time to enjoy the park atmosphere instead of trying to cram everything into each moment, two days is just right. PolyGirl40 frequently writes that DLR is a more relaxed place to vacation. (See above)

I will join anyone in touting DL's strengths and comparing it to the MK parks around the world (of which I still want to read MORE, come on everyone !).

DL vs. MK? I abstain from voting. I like both.
DLR vs. WDW? For overall vacation experience, nothing beats WDW !

P.S. As for the observation that CMs at DLR are more surley than WDW, they may have a point. When I visit WDW, I became amazed at how nice everyone is. I thought greater LA folks were nice compared to, uh, New Yorkers, but when I visit Florida, Hawaii, or other resort areas, folks are just, darn it, nicer and more polite. (No jokes please about they-want-your-money-so-they-are nice !).

Disney-lovin' Dutchman
11-23-2007, 01:53 PM
As I am preparing for next holiday in 4 weeks I find myself looking forward to DLR more than WDW..but that may be just because I´ve been to WDW more.

Having read and seen many trip reports about DLR I am looking forward to seeing more of both parks ( like Walt's apartment in Main Street and the Disney Electrical Parade over at DCA )

I found DCA to be such a dissappointment (except for Soarin' but Epcot has that now too) that I will only visit that park to see the Electrical Parade and visit Flik's Land (looked cool on pictures, didn't go there last time)

Just 2 days ago though, my mother came up to me and said "how 'bout you and me going to DLRP next year?" and even if I just came back from a trip to DLRP 5 weeks ago, I can't wait to again!

Maybe I can compare the parks like this:

Magic Kingdom:
+ Bigger, the best castle, TTA, Splash Mountain, Main Street is cooler, the Monorail
- Tomorrowland imho ***** (except for TTA), Fantasyland is too small and boring, Mickey's Toontown Fair is awful (have never been there more than 5 minutes)

Disneyland Resort Anaheim:
+ Haunted Mansion Holiday!!!!!, POTC is the best here, Mr. Toad + Alice in Wonderland, Matterhorn, the more "magical" feeling, IASW Holiday, Toontown!
- Small, doesn't handle crowds well, DCA next door, Adventureland is tiny, I am not a fan of Autopia

Disneyland Resort Paris:
+ Handles crowds well, beautiful castle, POTC has a very cool queue, Fantasyland is very large and very well themed, Tomorrowland is the best here, The Disneyland Hotel is a very good entrance, Frontierland is also the best here, Skull Rock
- Indiana Jones rollercoaster is terrible, IASW isn't so good here...that's it! :D

JRock0114
11-27-2007, 03:29 PM
Here is my take on the subject.....

I get flamed on boards for my take on this all the time.......but it's the truth.

Disney World is a true vacation destination and Disneyland is a weekend get-away. Period.

Disney World allows you to truly escape the real world. You can't see the outside world nor do you want to. Disneyland feels almost like a Disney version of Six-Flags. You can see the run down gas station across the street and notice when things are being covered up.

Yes I know......Disneyland is the original and it's where Walt was.....and all that stuff. To me, Disneyland was his first swing at his vision. Disney World is where he nailed it.

Don't get me wrong, I love Disneyland. Some of the classic rides (HM, POTC, Space Mountain) are much better at DL. But both (DL & CA) parks can be done in 3 days with no problem at all.......during the busy season.

Disney World holds everything that anyone could want out of a vacation experience ....unless you want small and at a slow pace.

I can't wait to see what they do with CA since they are going to be pouring tons of money into the park. It is a fun park but could really be so much more.

Just my opinion.

SignguyTom
11-27-2007, 04:31 PM
Disney World is a true vacation destination and Disneyland is a weekend get-away. Period.

Amen. That's the feeling in my gut put into words. Well done! :thumbsup:

prprincess
11-27-2007, 04:34 PM
Like you've all already posted, there are pros and cons to both MK and DL. I personally feel that there are more pros to MK, and cons to DL, but I still love DL.

But I'm also biased because of the whole nostalgia factor. I grew up going to MK and WDW as a child, so it feels like "home" to me and I'm the most happiest there. When I moved lived in Southern California for two years back in the late 90s, I got a season pass and visited DL frequently because it made me feel at home. But to be honest with you, I never felt the same emotions that I felt/feel going to MK/WDW. On top of that, it always felt super crowded and small to me. Even the areas I had to drive through to get to the park was a mess and stressed me out.

But that's not to say that I would never go back if I ever visited southern California again. DCA and all of the new lodging was built after I moved back east, so I'd love to see what they're all about.

With that being said, it's MK for me.

Ian
11-27-2007, 05:08 PM
For me it's no contest. If I could choose I'd go to DL every single time and never go back to WDW again.

First off, I think DL the park flat out blows away MK. Every ride in DL (that I went on) was better than it's MK counterpart. Plus, they have excellent attractions (subs, Mr. Toad, Matterhorn) that aren't in MK. I will say that I did not ride DL's Splash or Big Thunder, so I'm not commenting on those.

The theming and attention to detail in DL is better, the overall feel of the park is better, the nostalgia factor is better, it's easier to get around (no busses = a HUGE plus for me), and somehow it feels like it's missing the crass commercialism of MK. It probably isn't, but they must hide it better or something.

The only reason I go to WDW over DL is simply the distance. With two young kids that flight to the opposite coast isn't something we can do often.

MegaDisney
11-27-2007, 05:11 PM
I like Disneyland vs. MK and DLR vs. WDW.

Give me a week to relax at DLR vs. the hectic bus travelling atmosphere of WDW.

EPCOT84
11-27-2007, 06:04 PM
The theming and attention to detail in DL is better, the overall feel of the park is better, the nostalgia factor is better, it's easier to get around (no busses = a HUGE plus for me), and somehow it feels like it's missing the crass commercialism of MK. It probably isn't, but they must hide it better or something.

:soapbox: Come to think of it, I must agree with Ian on theming and attention to detail at DL is better or so it seems. When I first visited MK, I was a bit disappointed with many areas for that reason, particularly in Fantasyland. When DL re-did the facades in Fantasyland it made the difference even greater.

As to the commercialism, yes, it irks me at the end of most WDW rides now is the souvenir shop. I know it is important to bring in the $$$ but sometimes I just want to exit the ride without walking through the maze of sometimes narrow aisles of trinkets. I suspect there is less at DL because there is simply no space. The DL park was not designed for as many shops as MK has.

MMouse6937
11-27-2007, 06:12 PM
Yes I know......Disneyland is the original and it's where Walt was.....and all that stuff. To me, Disneyland was his first swing at his vision. Disney World is where he nailed it.

Thank you, finally summed up what I feel. I have always said that DL was Walt's first "mistake" (maybe a bad choice of words) but WDW was where it was just as he would have wanted. When I want to go on vacation, WDW is where I want to go! :thumbsup:

letsdoitagain
11-27-2007, 08:25 PM
Magic Kingdom is generally better, but I do like Disneyland's fantasy land better. more rides like Mr. Toad, alice in wonderland, etc.

Noah's Helper
11-27-2007, 09:41 PM
When you consider just Disneyland versus Magic Kingdom, DL certainly has some advantages. I prefer MK's FastPass system, though. I got the impression that DL's FastPass queue merged with standby further back, so that we often had a 20-minute wait even with FastPass.

Our son would say he prefers Disneyland because of its proximity to Legoland. He even thinks Legoland is part of DL. ;)

MK has MNSSHP, which I enjoy. I haven't experienced the California party, but it seems to be less popular; also, it's at DCA, not DL.

Crystal Palace
11-29-2007, 10:38 AM
Here is my take on the subject.....

I get flamed on boards for my take on this all the time.......but it's the truth.

Disney World allows you to truly escape the real world. You can't see the outside world nor do you want to. Disneyland feels almost like a Disney version of Six-Flags. You can see the run down gas station across the street and notice when things are being covered up.

Don't get me wrong, I love Disneyland. Some of the classic rides (HM, POTC, Space Mountain) are much better at DL. But both (DL & CA) parks can be done in 3 days with no problem at all.......during the busy season.

Disney World holds everything that anyone could want out of a vacation experience ....unless you want small and at a slow pace.

I can't wait to see what they do with CA since they are going to be pouring tons of money into the park. It is a fun park but could really be so much more.

Just my opinion.

I couldn't have put it better myself!:thumbsup:

luvdiznee
11-29-2007, 12:42 PM
well, i have been to disneyland california , disneyworld orlando and disneyland paris numerous times. in regards to which of the american ones are best...i'd just like to say...both are fantastic, mainly due to the cast members . unlike the paris park which has the worst cast members ever. they are rude and extremely unfriendly towards children and foreigners.
so, instead of making a decision on which of the american parks is the best...i'd like to congratulate both for being the 2 happiest places on earth.
p.s. just like to add that after travelling all over the world with my kids the americans are the most welcoming nation. well done to you :thumbsup::mickey:

Very nice to hear. Not that DLP's cast members aren't up to par, but that our 2 are more friendly. :mickey: Wishing you many trips here...:angel::angel::angel:

jray21
12-03-2007, 02:03 AM
Definitely Disneyland. There is just a lot more at Disneyland. However, the "world" more than makes up for it.

brownie
12-03-2007, 09:32 AM
Although there are some attraction elements I liked better at Disneyland, I think the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World is much better. There's more space, and I like the theming better.

Ryan Towle
12-03-2007, 11:07 AM
I personally think Magic Kingdom is way better. I've been to DL as well, but the Magic Kingdom is by far the best. Have you ever noticed that everything that was at DL they just made it bigger and better when they brought it to the Magic Kingdom? (With the exception of POTC and IASW). But as far as the major rides, Big Thunder Mountain is longer at WDW. Splash Mountain is longer at WDW. The Haunted Mansion is longer at WDW, Country Bear Jamboree. Space Mountain is even bigger.

Carol
12-03-2007, 01:16 PM
Space Mountain is even bigger.Bigger isn't better. There is absolutely no comparison between Space Mountains.

Disney-lovin' Dutchman
12-03-2007, 02:26 PM
Bigger isn't better. There is absolutely no comparison between Space Mountains

Agreed! Space Mountain at MK is a nice roller coaster but the one in DLR is much more advanced and wilder than at MK

....and the one in Disneyland Paris is one of the best rollercoasters in the world, but that's another story :D