PDA

View Full Version : Waterparks w/ Special Needs

alaMode
11-20-2007, 08:16 AM
Hi!

We're going in April and we're planning on visiting both TL and BB. My son is 7 and has cerebral palsy. He can walk and climb stairs, but he doesn't have full control over his body. He is also a little daredevil. He loves waterslides and will try anything.

I'm concerned about the slides at both parks--they seem very extreme to me. I don't want to get to the parks and not be able to ride some slides--my son would be soo disapointed!

Can you recommend some slides that are fun, but not too extreme?

Are there slides we can ride with our son?

Also, do you have to be able to swim to use the slides? What are the pools like at the bottom of the slides? Are they deep, or can a child stand in the water?

TIA for any info you are willing to share!

Tess
Poly 07
Poly 08

LibertyTreeGal
11-20-2007, 11:18 AM
Hi, I can't answer any questions about the slides, being a major weenie myself, but we are taking our 6 year olds (weather permitting) to BB next week so I will see what I can find out.

Some things he may be able to do -- they have slides that the whole family can ride together in a liferaft. They also have a huge children's area that I'm sure someone else here can describe, since we haven't been to either yet.

Is he 48" tall yet? If not then there are height restrictions on the biggest slides anyway, which gets you out of trouble -- this time ;)

merlinmagic4
11-21-2007, 08:21 AM
At Typhoon Lagoon there are two milder slides but I can't remember the name for the life of me! They were mild enough that I went on them :blush: The water is not too deep at the end of the slides I went on and I believe he'll be able to stand up. There is also a children's slide at the front of the wave pool but it sounds like that might be a bit tame for him (but still fun!).

Have a great trip :mickey:

LibertyTreeGal
12-04-2007, 01:51 PM
Okay, just got back and we went to Blizzard Beach and I was thinking about you while we were there! :)

The Ski Patrol Area had a few mild slides with deep water at the bottom, but I was able to be in the water so the boys could swim to me. It also had a long winding slide that you rode in a tube that emptied into a relatively shallow area.

As far as the other slides, Teamboat springs is a slide where a minimum of four people ride down in a huge liferaft, he should love that, and the disembarkment on that is absolutely shallow. Summit Plummet and Slusher Gusher empty into about 2 inches of water. Boblseds enter into about 2 inches of water. There is a slide right next to the bobsleds that empties into a 5 foot deep pool but you are on a floatation device. Double Dippers empties into deep water but you ride an inner tube. There are some others, but they have double inner tubes so you could ride with him.

Hope this helps!

alaMode
12-06-2007, 04:02 PM
Thanks for doing the "research!" It sounds like there are a few slides my son will be able to enjoy without taking years off MY life!

Tess
poly 07
poly 08

Tink&Goofy
12-16-2007, 02:40 PM
We have avoided the water parks entirely thus far. DD13 wears very expensive hearing equipment that does not mix well with water, so obviously she could not wear it there! Without it, she cannot hear a thing. I'm terrified of the thought of taking her there without sound! Plus, she is not a good swimmer. Does anyone know how the CMs deal with this? She would not hear or respond to any verbal instructions or whistles, etc. Any insight??

LibertyTreeGal
12-17-2007, 10:48 AM
We have avoided the water parks entirely thus far. DD13 wears very expensive hearing equipment that does not mix well with water, so obviously she could not wear it there! Without it, she cannot hear a thing. I'm terrified of the thought of taking her there without sound! Plus, she is not a good swimmer. Does anyone know how the CMs deal with this? She would not hear or respond to any verbal instructions or whistles, etc. Any insight??

This is a hard one and I don't have the answer but it may well fall into the category of reasonable accomodation. If she cannot swim well AND can't hear verbal instructions, then it probably results in too great a risk, not only for her, but for others too. But, you may want to call WDW directly and find out. They may have something in place that goes beyond what I can imagine.

thrillme
12-18-2007, 10:54 AM
Except for a couple of slides (the wedgie makers)...the slides are pretty much on the mild side. If your son is a little "daredevil" I'm quite certian he'd enjoy the regular styled slides. The may be a little challenging at both parks because there are a number of stairs to climb. I found Typhoon Lagoon to be a bit easier because the stairs weren't constantly going up...it was more jungle like.

They do have a "fairly" new "blaster" slide. This one would be GREAT because it's a lot of fun. Has room for two AND has an elevator to the top.

I have heard of a company Rion that makes some sort of waterproof hearing aid. However it's supposedly rather expensive and it's more of a plain "amplification" device rather than a quality digital.

The "Not a good swimmer" part always worries me regardless of wheather they can hear or not. You might contact your local YMCA or a local school for the deaf and hard of hearing to get some information for swim lessons for her. I don't know what park you're planning to go to. I've been to "both parks" and Typhoon Lagoon is my favorite. In general she should be fine. The water at most of the slides are only about 3-4 ft max...the water in the "river" is about 3. She'll probably be fine. They also have "Life Jackets" she can wear for extra security.

Will she be alone? Or with only a friend or sibling at these parks?

Bells and whistles. No she probably won't be able to hear these depending on her extent. However there's not really any for her to be concerned with. At 13 she's probably already conditioned to "looking" at a lot of people for signals and I'm quite sure someone will most likely be WITH her at all times. Clue her on on some of the "basic RULES".

Water slides...usually have a red light/green light. Take a look at the lifeguard and if necessary inform him/her of the disability...for the most part...when the light is green and the slide is "clear" as you can tell go.

River...Don't try "dunking" your friends or other "reckless" behaviors. Don't "stack" the tubes and try floating or "hiding" in them...don't STAND on the tubes. Lay in them only either on back or belly. If you suddenly see EVERYBODY getting out...get out.

Weather...Have her pay attention to the sky. If it starts to look bad or she sees lightning and everybody seems to be getting out...get out.

I too grew up very hard of hearing. I can't wear my aid to the parks. My issue may not be quite as intense as your daughters but it's still rough sometimes. I can guarantee you...we learn to compensate

Tink&Goofy
12-19-2007, 03:53 PM
The "Not a good swimmer" part always worries me regardless of wheather they can hear or not. You might contact your local YMCA or a local school for the deaf and hard of hearing to get some information for swim lessons for her. I don't know what park you're planning to go to. I've been to "both parks" and Typhoon Lagoon is my favorite. In general she should be fine. The water at most of the slides are only about 3-4 ft max...the water in the "river" is about 3. She'll probably be fine. They also have "Life Jackets" she can wear for extra security.

Will she be alone? Or with only a friend or sibling at these parks?

Bells and whistles. No she probably won't be able to hear these depending on her extent. However there's not really any for her to be concerned with. At 13 she's probably already conditioned to "looking" at a lot of people for signals and I'm quite sure someone will most likely be WITH her at all times. Clue her on on some of the "basic RULES".

Water slides...usually have a red light/green light. Take a look at the lifeguard and if necessary inform him/her of the disability...for the most part...when the light is green and the slide is "clear" as you can tell go.

I too grew up very hard of hearing. I can't wear my aid to the parks. My issue may not be quite as intense as your daughters but it's still rough sometimes. I can guarantee you...we learn to compensate

Thanks so much! She has a cochlear implant, so there is no hearing aid that would help. She would be completely without sound. But, she would NEVER be alone!! She can read lips, and can still talk (although poorly without the sound input). The red/green lights would be exactly the kind of thing she would need. We would obviously clue the lifeguard, so he/she knows, and unless she is a good swimmer by then, we would require her to wear a life jacket (yah, she's gonna love us).

I know she would absolutely LOVE the parks - and its a shame to have to keep her from them. We may try it next time and see how it goes. Thanks.

thrillme
12-20-2007, 12:19 PM
I know she would absolutely LOVE the parks - and its a shame to have to keep her from them. We may try it next time and see how it goes. Thanks.

Lot of blessings to you and your DS. I'm quite certian she's going to have a BLAST :number1: